Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ew is that paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Some nightmare fuel courtesy Reddit:

I do not like this.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Whyifileifr.tiff

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

hobbesmaster posted:

Some nightmare fuel courtesy Reddit:

I'm real sad it is not accurate in MS Flight Sim.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Mig 23 just crashed at Thunder over Michigan. Pilots ejected, sounds like they're ok but the plane hit an apartment building.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

two_beer_bishes posted:

Mig 23 just crashed at Thunder over Michigan. Pilots ejected, sounds like they're ok but the plane hit an apartment building.

Thankfully that doesn’t appear to be true

https://twitter.com/thenewarea51/status/1690828851201355776?s=46&t=TBi_iSImUmzjTxXAKsMEHw

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

What a loving relief.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It wasn’t exactly an unpopulated area.

https://x.com/thenewarea51/status/1690854363810414593?s=46&t=v-jPHHI3el2DgXfsxbh7ww

Just good luck all around. My crystal ball says the FAA is going to have something to say about this one.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrYenko posted:

https://x.com/thenewarea51/status/1690854363810414593?s=46&t=v-jPHHI3el2DgXfsxbh7ww

Just good luck all around. My crystal ball says the FAA is going to have something to say about this one.
Oh wow. That certainly explains the early reports that it had hit an apartment building. loving hell, that could have been a LOT worse.

edit: rehosted the image since embeds seem to be wonky again

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrYenko posted:

Depends on the size of the defined area!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

wolrah posted:

Oh wow. That certainly explains the early reports that it had hit an apartment building. loving hell, that could have been a LOT worse.

edit: rehosted the image since embeds seem to be wonky again

..... So what's the punishment for embezzling some souvenirs from your backyard

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Lord Stimperor posted:

..... So what's the punishment for embezzling some souvenirs from your backyard

Throw them in your pool and it's maritime salvage.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

put them in a tree and its TREE LAW

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Throw them in your pool and it's maritime salvage.

But then you can't complain about the gold fringe on the courthouse flag

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m already senior enough to get everything I asked for when bidding reserve.

https://i.imgur.com/m7BGFKX.gifv

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 16, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Such a double edged sword. Commutable mid week Hawaii pairings? Have fun flying with the late 90's hire who thinks everything is woke!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m not holding a line yet but it’s also my second month bidding at the company. What I did get is long call and 2-4 days off every weekend. Very big considering I have to commute for one more month.

Edit: hey apple stop loving autocorrecting stuff like bidding to budding. They’re both words.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 16, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why do you need to wait 10 minutes after slaving the compass before doing it again?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On the other hand, you can attempt erection 5 minutes after use and... I know I certainly can't keep up with that anymore.

Aviation Megathread 10: Erection, allow 5 minutes after each use.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

man if only.....

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I know that particular panel is probably salvage so it has a whole bunch of bent metal in it but I do wonder why the cockpit of anything that's more than a few months off the production line always looks so scuffed, it's like the ground service people wipe the panel down with fine grit sandpaper or something.

How hard and repeatedly do you have to be hammering the heading select button or whatever that the paint is peeling off it

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Does that thing have 100 degrees of flaps? What is that aircraft?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

sleepy gary posted:

Maybe it’s a percentage, airplanes sometimes have goofy names for flap settings that aren’t based in degrees.

The CJ I used to fly was UP, TAKEOFF, LAND. Those were the days. Now we have 1,2,3 FULL. Don’t you dare say flaps 4 on your first day or you’ll get laughed at maybe.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

That makes a lot more sense than degrees, but then why would you need so much precision?? Flaps 37 degrees! Flaps 54 degrees! No, poo poo, I meant 55 degrees, gently caress!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

sleepy gary posted:

That makes a lot more sense than degrees, but then why would you need so much precision?? Flaps 37 degrees! Flaps 54 degrees! No, poo poo, I meant 55 degrees, gently caress!

It's because the simple system had no way of stopping at a set point. You just kinda ballpark it to rough number by holding the switch. There's no difference between 51 degrees and 47.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sleepy gary posted:

I see you are familiar with McDonnell-Douglas products.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Fun fact: that yellow wheel is not the trim.

It's the cabin pressure control.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

It's because the simple system had no way of stopping at a set point. You just kinda ballpark it to rough number by holding the switch. There's no difference between 51 degrees and 47.

I was idly chatting to my instructor once about the worn-out flap gate in the plane we were flying, and commented that it seemed like a part that would be pretty easy to re-file into shape or just make a new one out of sheet metal.

He informed me that no, you can't just file the notches back in or make a new plate yourself, even if you're an A&P, because those notches set the flap extensions and therefore they are precisely calibrated notches that need to be traceable back to the original manufacturer.

The absurdity of calling the flap gate in a flight school cessna "precisely calibrated" was not lost on either of us.

sleepy gary posted:

It says "percent extended" on the gauge face. I believe it's from a Cessna T-37. 100 degrees would be pretty hilarious though -- 10 degrees forward-swept lol

Nobody answered why you have to wait between compass slaves! :saddumb:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 18, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is it just a reminder that the DG is not permanently slaved to the compass and therefore you need to do a manual realignment every 10 minutes?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

sleepy gary posted:

It's a T-37, which also explains why the panel is beat to hell. The flaps go to 40 degrees, but Cessna labeled them in percent for whatever reason.

As for the placard, it's there to keep the motor that slaves the heading indicator from burning out.

Normally, the heading indicator would take several minutes to spin up and slave to the compass (the "in" setting), but the "fast" switch can force it to do a quicker alignment, but that'll burn out the torque motor if done too often.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Nobody answered why you have to wait between compass slaves! :saddumb:

The compass slave circuit has a TINY motor inside to drive the various synchros to the right position. It uses absolutely shamefully tiny wire and it's crammed in the middle of this very dense instrument, so it'll heatsoak and/or burn out if you just keep driving the compass around.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So my uncle is looking at becoming an airline pilot. He's looking at going to ATP in Colorado and he's waiting to hear if GI bill will cover his school. Is ATP a credible school? I haven't heard of it but that's not my domain either.

I'm aware there are a lot of schools that promise more than they can deliver and I want to make sure he's getting the best shot he can.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pilot Mill Chat!!

I used ATP after I already had my private and here's my opinion: You write a big fat check to get the flight time and ratings promised as soon as possible but don't expect much more with respect to quality education. Their instructors are typically younger people who only want to teach until the exact moment they can move to the airlines. I had next to zero usable ground school until I got to CFI classes, which were actually pretty great but that instructor also left right after I finished. Luck of the draw.

So yeah, it's fine if that's what you want, just be prepared to do your own heavy lifting in the knowledge department. I don't regret going because I lived, got my stuff and got out so I could continue growing as a pilot.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 21, 2023

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

So my uncle is looking at becoming an airline pilot. He's looking at going to ATP in Colorado and he's waiting to hear if GI bill will cover his school. Is ATP a credible school? I haven't heard of it but that's not my domain either.

I'm aware there are a lot of schools that promise more than they can deliver and I want to make sure he's getting the best shot he can.

ATP is credible, but it's absolutely a case of "you get what you put into it", since their interest is just churning people through as fast as possible.

I'm not sure what their GI Bill status is, but my understanding (which is from a number of years ago, and may be wrong) is that the GI Bill won't pay for a private pilot certificate (I'm not sure how university flight programs fit in there), but it will pay for training after that.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Went to ATP and instructed out of SAC. Basically what was said above, emphasis on "you get what you put into it". There was a huge push to while I was there to standardize and emphasize proper ground instruction but you're still expected to study the material in depth by yourself.

ATP did not accept the GI Bill up to a few years ago but it's worth calling and asking. They also have a 141 program with ASU out of Mesa that definitely accepts the GI Bill.

Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions. I was there up to 2021, so still fairly recent.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
There is no price too high to get to use the call sign “CareerTrack 69”

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Roger squawk 0420 and ident

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Arson Daily posted:

Roger squawk 0420 and ident

I get this about once a month.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have literally never once gotten a cool code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Is 1337 speak still considered "cool" because I got this yesterday:

(Edit, and yes taking this picture is what made me realize the last crew left the transponder on)

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 22, 2023