Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

Lolling that these guy's lawyer is Norm Pattis, the same guy who got his license suspended in Connecticut while being Alex Jones' lawyer and was on the case that lost Jones a billion dollars. Good choice guys!

Norm is a turdperson, but the billion dollars part had more to do with Jones refusing to participate in the discovery process and just leaning head-first into the incoming legal shitstorm in every way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Lolling that these guy's lawyer is Norm Pattis, the same guy who got his license suspended in Connecticut while being Alex Jones' lawyer and was on the case that lost Jones a billion dollars. Good choice guys!

Still better than his stand-up act.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Name Change posted:

Norm is a turdperson, but the billion dollars part had more to do with Jones refusing to participate in the discovery process and just leaning head-first into the incoming legal shitstorm in every way possible.

Losing the case by default was definitely entirely on Alex Jones, but I would argue that it was Norm Pattis’s decision to pursue a legal strategy of accusing the Sandy Hook parents of being fueled by rage and trying to make the case about the second amendment that made the jury absolutely loathe him to the point that they ran the final score up over a billion dollars.

There was definitely no good way to defend Alex Jones, but he may very well have picked the worst way.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Losing the case by default was definitely entirely on Alex Jones, but I would argue that it was Norm Pattis’s decision to pursue a legal strategy of accusing the Sandy Hook parents of being fueled by rage and trying to make the case about the second amendment that made the jury absolutely loathe him to the point that they ran the final score up over a billion dollars.

There was definitely no good way to defend Alex Jones, but he may very well have picked the worst way.

Then why did Jones have the exact same strategy in Texas where he had different counsel?

That was Jones’ decision.

Norm is an rear end in a top hat and I’m not defending him, but Jones shouted vitriol at the Sandy Hook parents in front of the jury. The legal strategy decisions are kind of meaningless when the guy is beet red and screaming about Satanic pedophile cabals all the time.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Trump canceled the press conference where he was going to present 100 pages of irrefutable evidence for fraud in Georgia :(

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Then why did Jones have the exact same strategy in Texas where he had different counsel?

That was Jones’ decision.

Norm is an rear end in a top hat and I’m not defending him, but Jones shouted vitriol at the Sandy Hook parents in front of the jury. The legal strategy decisions are kind of meaningless when the guy is beet red and screaming about Satanic pedophile cabals all the time.

You also forget basically having a press conference on the steps of the courthouse screaming the judge is a pedophile. More than once I think.

Norm's an rear end in a top hat but I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with that decision.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

James Garfield posted:

Trump canceled the press conference where he was going to present 100 pages of irrefutable evidence for fraud in Georgia :(

This random Capitalization Of Words threatens To give me A Stroke!

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

James Garfield posted:

"You know what, let's not just hand them exhibits G through FFF"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

This is pretty normal, right?

“Equal to the governments time investigating”

No that’s in no way normal. It’s extremely stupid. It’s extremely abnormal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alkydere posted:

You also forget basically having a press conference on the steps of the courthouse screaming the judge is a pedophile. More than once I think.

Norm's an rear end in a top hat but I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with that decision.

By that point in the trial, Norm had made at least one presentation to the judge that boiled down to "look your honor, my client is a crazy rear end in a top hat and I can't control him."

Which too is not to defend him, Norm sucks out loud and I'm glad he's basically ended his career over this.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Alkydere posted:

Was Pettis the one that accidentally gave the plaintiffs a complete copy of Jones' phone and then didn't pull it back when notified?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hypnobeard posted:

Was Pettis the one that accidentally gave the plaintiffs a complete copy of Jones' phone and then didn't pull it back when notified?

Only indirectly. Norm is the lawyer who received that information and shared it with the attorney in Texas who actually did the gently caress up.

God those trials were a loving watch.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Xiahou Dun posted:

Only indirectly. Norm is the lawyer who received that information and shared it with the attorney in Texas who actually did the gently caress up.

God those trials were a loving watch.

Thanks, it gets confusing.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
This continues to deliver the absolute best content possible

quote:

The lawyers said the extraordinary delay was needed because of the historic nature of the case and the extraordinary volume of discovery evidence they will have to sort through — as much as 8.5 terabytes of materials, totaling over 11.5 million pages, they wrote in a filing to Judge Tanya S. Chutkan, who is overseeing the case.

In a bit of legal showmanship, Gregory M. Singer, the lawyer who wrote the brief, included a graph that showed how 11.5 million pages of documents stacked atop one another would result in a “tower of paper stretching nearly 5,000 feet into the sky.”

That, Mr. Singer pointed out, was “taller than the Washington Monument, stacked on top of itself eight times, with nearly a million pages to spare.”

“Even assuming we could begin reviewing the documents today, we would need to proceed at a pace of 99,762 pages per day to finish the government’s initial production by its proposed date for jury selection,” Mr. Singer wrote. “That is the entirety of Tolstoy’s ‘War and Peace,’ cover to cover, 78 times a day, every day, from now until jury selection.”

https://twitter.com/baldwin_daniel_/status/1692314627915317488

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

“Equal to the governments time investigating”

No that’s in no way normal. It’s extremely stupid. It’s extremely abnormal.

Yes that “logic” was stupid. But I think defense councils asking for crazy long times before cases are heard is normal, and the expectation is the judge will pick something between what the prosecution and defense asked for.

The thing I’m not sure about is if 2.5 years is even crazier than what’s normally asked for. But so much of the case is unprecedented that it’s hard to figure out what to comp it to.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
"Your honor, my client left so much evidence of his many crimes, it will take very long to get through it all!"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Remember when ~ thing ~ would happen, sometimes several times a day?

And we would all sigh, and say, "throw it on the pile?"

Here's the pile, you unfortunate boobs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mean, yes, they have a point about the volume of discovery.

Most of my clients with high volumes of discovery are waiting for trial in jail because they weren't granted bond.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Lum_ posted:

By the way, unless the government sent some ridiculously inefficient form of electronic paper, going by their own words 11.5 million pages is anything between 15-40 gigs of data. No way over 100 at best. So they're just deliberately lying through their teeth. This is explicitly for fundraising and justifying the loss to chuds.

They're going to get slapped down so hard. Also this tells me they don't actually have anything to defend with. Sheer incompetency.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 18, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nelson Mandingo posted:

By the way, unless the government sent some ridiculously inefficient form of electronic paper, going by their own words 11.5 million pages is anything between 15-40 gigs of data. So they're just deliberately lying through their teeth. This is explicitly for fundraising and justifying the loss to chuds.

They're going to get slapped down so hard. Also this tells me they don't actually have anything to defend with. Sheer incompetency.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if the government sent everything as scanned image based pdfs. I mean, I'd do that. Make em work for it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It actually wouldn't surprise me if the government sent everything as scanned image based pdfs. I mean, I'd do that. Make em work for it.

It wouldn't surprise me either, the question would be regular lawyer incompetence with technology or weaponized incompetence with technology.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

By the way, unless the government sent some ridiculously inefficient form of electronic paper, going by their own words 11.5 million pages is anything between 15-40 gigs of data. No way over 100 at best. So they're just deliberately lying through their teeth. This is explicitly for fundraising and justifying the loss to chuds.

If you have the facts, argue the facts.
If you have emotion, then argue emotion.

If you don't have facts or emotion going for you, then pound the table and yell a lot.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lum_ posted:

https://twitter.com/baldwin_daniel_/status/1692314627915317488

I AM an actual lawyer who specializes in running an e-discovery department, so this is literally my jam.

So let's take the lawyer at his word here and assume all 11.5 million pages are potentially reviewable. I'm sure this is before any search terms or threading are done to reduce the population since they want to pump up the population. And he gave the page count rather than the doc count which is what you usually go by.

So lets break down how you'd go about tackling this.

11.5m pages. In my experience you typically see 2.5-3 pages per document. It depends heavily on the types of docs you see, but a sufficiently large population will probably even out an not be super heavy with orphan families or chat threads or whatever. So lets go with 3 pages per doc on average.

That's 3.8 million documents in the review set.

Now we need to run search terms, threading, deduping, etc on the set. You might even be able to run active learning on the set to cut it down further. But lets assume you're not doing any AI stuff. You'd usually see a reduction of the review set to about 30% of the original doc count from this stuff. Again this is highly dependent on the data set. A richer set will have more. A set from a variety of custodians might have a ton of dupes that can be cut out. But lets go with 30% left over here because that's a pretty normal amount.

So that leaves us with 1.15m docs that need reviewing for responsiveness/privilege/issues. They need to be redacted where they have attorney privileged info on them. And a privilege log needs to be generated for the docs you are withholding which are responsive. How long does this take?

Well, with a sufficiently well-developed review company you can staff up to hundreds of attorneys on a case in short notice, so actually grabbing the reviewers to look at these docs shouldn't be a problem. Lets say we want to get this done in 10 weeks with another 2 weeks for logging and redactions. How many reviewers would we need to accomplish this?

Typical review speeds are ~45 docs an hour, assuming the docs aren't enormous or tiny and the coding choices aren't voluminous. Let's say the reviewers need to pick responsiveness/privilege and apply up to 6 issue tags. A normal review. They will have on average an 8-hour day and 40 hours a week (often you'd allow/require more than that, but let's give them a nice work/life balance here)

40hrs * 45dph * 10 weeks * 65 reviewers will get you 1.17 million docs reviewed. Go up to 70 or 80 to give yourself some wiggle room in case things don't go according to plan.

While 65-80 reviewers is not a small review. It's certainly not a huge review and it's the kind of thing that gets done all the time for other cases. I've run dozens of them like this and advised clients on ones for my department where I didn't run them.

You don't need 2 years to do this kind of review.

Edit: and if this is 11.5 million docs are all government produced docs then we don't need to worry about privilege at all. Maybe they are richer though since (hopefully) the government did their own responsiveness review and so didn't produce a ton of junk docs. You can again run your search terms, deduping, etc. Though if the government already did that and trimmed down their production then you might be left with a pretty rich set.

In this case you'd have to review most of the review set that hits on search terms. Still about 3.8 million docs. Larger than my above estimate. In that case a good team size might be to double your review time to 20 weeks with a team of 110 reviewers. Larger, but not overbearing. And I've run larger reviews with shorter turn arounds.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 18, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Trump's attorneys have to run their preferred judge to let her know that the Special Counsel is very disrespectful

quote:

A Special Counsel committed to the fair administration of Justice should never have circumvented this Court’s orders under any circumstance, much less with full knowledge of the various issues presented with these multiple indictments against the leading Republican candidate for President of the United States.

Respectfully, the Special Counsel’s conduct necessitates appropriate action by Your Honor. In addition to blatantly ignoring this Court’s scheduled evidentiary hearing on December 11, 2023, the Special Counsel’s actions appear to be intentionally motivated to prevent President Trump from meaningfully preparing for either trial and to simultaneously prevent him from running a campaign for President of the United States. We are separately seeking appropriate relief from Judge Chutkan, as noted in Exhibit 2, and we respectfully request Your Honor order the Special Counsel to explain its reasoning for arguing for a pretrial and trial schedule in the D.C. Case that conflicts directly with this Court's current trial schedule.
I'm not an expert here but I don't think this is anything overly noteworthy, just amusing behavior for a man who still pretends his brand is strength rather than perpetual grievance.

Lum_ posted:

quote:

@OANN National Political Correspondent; Covering the Trump campaign
I promise there were better ways to get the image from the filing. Ones that don't involve a tweet citing it approvingly from a guy going on about how they're only indicting him because they know they can't beat him.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

You don't need 2 years to do this kind of review.

You mean... Trump's lawyers would just... lie? Can you DO that?

I eagerly await the slapdown from the judge in about 12 hours or so

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

I promise there were better ways to get the image from the filing. Ones that don't involve a tweet citing it approvingly from a guy going on about how they're only indicting him because they know they can't beat him.

Oh yeah, I just did a quick search because it's late to get the image on the forum. Please don't take it as any sort of endorsement!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I AM an actual lawyer who specializes in running an e-discovery department, so this is literally my jam.

So this is a bit off topic because Trump can obviously afford it, but how much does hiring 100 reviewers cost? Let's say you're not literally Donald Trump and you can't afford to pay all those people to review the literal mountain of evidence against you. Do you just not get to mount a competent defense?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

starve the beast

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

KillHour posted:

So this is a bit off topic because Trump can obviously afford it, but how much does hiring 100 reviewers cost? Let's say you're not literally Donald Trump and you can't afford to pay all those people to review the literal mountain of evidence against you. Do you just not get to mount a competent defense?

For the reviewer's time, the RM would probably be charged at ~$110-$150 an hour and reviewers at ~$60-$80 if everything is remote.

QC might be somewhere in between those two numbers, or just charged at the lower/higher number. Depending on the review company's billing structure and the contract with the client.

If we assume the larger estimate in my post that might be something like $7.4 million for the review. Excluding the QC time. Assuming 10% QC *(which is honestly kind of low) and they charge it at the same rate as RMs that would be an additional $1.3 million.

But like I said the QC charges will be highly dependent on the company.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

For the reviewer's time, the RM would probably be charged at ~$110-$150 an hour and reviewers at ~$60-$80 if everything is remote.

QC might be somewhere in between those two numbers, or just charged at the lower/higher number. Depending on the review company's billing structure and the contract with the client.

If we assume the larger estimate in my post that might be something like $7.4 million for the review. Excluding the QC time. Assuming 10% QC *(which is honestly kind of low) and they charge it at the same rate as RMs that would be an additional $1.3 million.

But like I said the QC charges will be highly dependent on the company.

So then the second half of that question - if I (person who doesn't have nearly 10 million lying around) am in that position, do I just tell the court "I literally cannot afford to defend myself so I guess I die in prison now"?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

KillHour posted:

So then the second half of that question - if I (person who doesn't have nearly 10 million lying around) am in that position, do I just tell the court "I literally cannot afford to defend myself so I guess I die in prison now"?

Dunno. I don't deal with clients that can't pay lol.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

KillHour posted:

I presume you, a person who doesn't have nearly 10 million lying around, do not have a MYCRIMES.TXT that takes up over 8.5 terabytes. Whereas Donald J. Trump, possibly the most successful (and certainly most blatant) con man of the 21st century so far going by how much he's gotten away with, does, but also has his own political action committee dedicated to paying (or not paying) armies of lawyers.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Giuliani apparently stole $300k from investors in an anti-Biden movie
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/rudy-giuliani-biden-documentary-scam-money-lawsuit-2023-8%3famp

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lum_ posted:

I presume you, a person who doesn't have nearly 10 million lying around, do not have a MYCRIMES.TXT that takes up over 8.5 terabytes. Whereas Donald J. Trump, possibly the most successful con man of the 21st century so far going by how much he's gotten away with, does, but also has his own political action committee dedicated to paying (or not paying) armies of lawyers.

I know that we're all happy that [bad thing] is finally happening to [bad person] instead of [random unlucky minority], but remember that ACAB and while this exact thing won't happen to a random person, I wouldn't be surprised if prosecutors intentionally make legal discovery as painful as possible just because they can. Let's say someone is in trouble for selling drugs on Craigslist - the government is probably just going to dump the logs of every website you ever visited as part of discovery because they don't have to be nice and only give you the relevant stuff.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
wow that's a lot of pages of discovery good thing trump raised like $250m for his legal defense. maybe if he was some random citizen without the resources that would seem like some horribly unfair burden, but not for him.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

This is the most Republican fuckin' thing I've ever seen. He embezzled money from farmers for a fake anti-Biden movie!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

wow that's a lot of pages of discovery good thing trump raised like $250m for his legal defense. maybe if he was some random citizen without the resources that would seem like some horribly unfair burden, but not for him.

He can afford it, but my point is that we shouldn't be celebrating onerous, unnecessary burdens on defendants just because this one guy deserves it this one time. The government obviously doesn't plan on presenting millions of pages of documents in court. They KNOW what documents they are going to use to argue their points. They should have to provide those documents and not stick them in a giant hay stack.

We can call out unfair bullshit, even when it happens to the kind of people we want unfair bullshit to happen to.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

KillHour posted:

He can afford it, but my point is that we shouldn't be celebrating onerous, unnecessary burdens on defendants just because this one guy deserves it this one time. The government obviously doesn't plan on presenting millions of pages of documents in court. They KNOW what documents they are going to use to argue their points. They should have to provide those documents and not stick them in a giant hay stack.

We can call out unfair bullshit, even when it happens to the kind of people we want unfair bullshit to happen to.

I want to point out here that I'm taking Trump's lawyer at their word about the document and page count. I have seen multinational merger second requests which are smaller than the page counts that he is talking about here. So I really doubt that this is actually a realistic review size.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I want to point out here that I'm taking Trump's lawyer at their word about the document and page count. I have seen multinational merger second requests which are smaller than the page counts that he is talking about here. So I really doubt that this is actually a realistic review size.

That's fair but even if the page count was 1/100th of that, most people couldn't afford it without selling everything they own and probably taking on student-loan amounts of debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
most people don't try to overthrow the results of an election or have a quarter of a billion dollars raised for their legal defense, let him deal with the complexity of the situation he himself created