Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

I'm trying to get an entry level programming job now, moving from *data science*, haven't gotten a single call back except from Epic which proactively reached out to me

Woke Mind Virus posted:

boss has been interviewing programmers and remarked that "the candidates keep getting older and older"

mid/senior level roles are so rough right now and i basically never see entry level stuff. it's not surprising that the candidates are older as a result.

for some unknown reason a place that i thought would autoreject me actually bit on an application and set me up for a phone screen which i did, and now it seems to be leading into an interview loop as scheduling allows. the hiring process looks to be a nightmare though with a written exercise that has a whole set of data to evaluate and would probably take like 15-20 hours to do well, plus all the subsequent interviews. the listed pay range is absolutely disgusting though so i have to at least try.

it isn't my primary opportunity right now though as there's another i'm really interested in. it's just so hard when you never know what any given interviewers want to hear with these behavioral sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Woke Mind Virus posted:

boss has been interviewing programmers and remarked that "the candidates keep getting older and older"

Not shocking when businesses keep asking for a combination of skills + degree for entry level positions you can't acquire until you're old

Apr 7, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

I'm trying to get an entry level programming job now, moving from *data science*, haven't gotten a single call back except from Epic which proactively reached out to me

A guy I work with now ended up in food service for a while because he left Epic and they aggressively enforced their non-compete. lol

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

mid/senior level roles are so rough right now and i basically never see entry level stuff. it's not surprising that the candidates are older as a result.

Mid/senior/lead are meaningless in tech wrt the larger world, they're almost entirely descriptors for time in. I was a 'lead' at my last job and I've never had direct reports. I was on a team with three other 'leads'

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Stereotype posted:

it's in the dane county bubble though, so it could be worse

ah bummer. yeah, it's a hard place to work i think. I know a bunch of lifers though, so it does provide a lot of stability i guess

verona isn't that far from madison but that whole area sucks rear end in general unless you really enjoy cycling and college football

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

do you have to use something fucky like MUMPS for epic?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

man I am so glad I went to law school

Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

do you have to use something fucky like MUMPS for epic?

Epic is an insanely miserable place to work. So bad that they do their best to hire kids out of college and strand them on a fantasy campus in Wisconsin, and the minute those kids dare leave they stick them with insanely restrictive non-competes. Epic is a garbage company that makes trash.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Mid/senior/lead are meaningless in tech wrt the larger world, they're almost entirely descriptors for time in. I was a 'lead' at my last job and I've never had direct reports. I was on a team with three other 'leads'

definitely accurate, but good luck nonetheless to people with less than a year or two of professional experience because it's hard for people with 10-20 years

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
out of curiosity I looked at my corps junior dev job postings and they all have dumb requirements like 3 year’s experience lmao. if you have 3 years experience you are not junior.

the last 3 people I hired to my org had 0 experience and they all turned out fantastic.

gently caress degrees gently caress experience I go off vibes

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Please do not attempt to trick lurkers into becoming lawyers.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Epic is an insanely miserable place to work. So bad that they do their best to hire kids out of college and strand them on a fantasy campus in Wisconsin, and the minute those kids dare leave they stick them with insanely restrictive non-competes. Epic is a garbage company that makes trash.

I dodged a bullet. Pre-covid a friend of mine applied for a job there and asked if I wanted to join him in applying. I didn't have the money to make a multi-state move and had heard that Epic burns out its workers really quickly, so I declined. Sounds like I made a good decision (for once).

gently caress the tech industry. They expect you to come out of the uterus with ten years of experience and then piss and moan about how "nobody wants to work anymore :qq:".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 02:18 on Aug 18, 2023

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

practically speaking, verona may as well be as far from madison as janesville is

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

definitely accurate, but good luck nonetheless to people with less than a year or two of professional experience because it's hard for people with 10-20 years

ime software dev generalists are being wrecked right now because of the Learn To Code push, business knowledge is more important than being able to code right now

I got hired where I'm at right now solely on my experience with healthcare payor data structure knowledge, they're teaching me the tech stack because they need that stuff so bad that they're fine with me being useless for six months while I get up to speed.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there're a lot of online resources for mapping seniority/pay these days so there's less ambiguity e.g., levels.fyi
seeing fresh grads stressing themselves about hitting arbitrary TC (e.g., 200K) is pretty funny

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

you'd probably be better served learning cobol than bothering with epic anything. too bad every one of those jobs appears to automatically require a decade of experience in z/os mainframe jobs. i could be wrong but it seems very chill and slow if you loving hate the move fast and break things mantra

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

I got hired where I'm at right now solely on my experience with healthcare payor data structure knowledge, they're teaching me the tech stack because they need that stuff so bad that they're fine with me being useless for six months while I get up to speed.

drat that owns

Apr 7, 2003

shrike82 posted:

there're a lot of online resources for mapping seniority/pay these days so there's less ambiguity e.g., levels.fyi
seeing fresh grads stressing themselves about hitting arbitrary TC (e.g., 200K) is pretty funny

just went there and lmao that Linkedin is paying an average $335k/yr TC to make Facebook But Less Racist

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

you'd probably be better served learning cobol than bothering with epic anything. too bad every one of those jobs appears to automatically require a decade of experience in z/os mainframe jobs. i could be wrong but it seems very chill and slow if you loving hate the move fast and break things mantra

I worked with Z/OS at two previous jobs and they don't pay you for knowing cobol, they pay you for knowing the IBM ecosphere and it is insanely weird and hosed up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lol
AFGE highlights new survey results, asks NSF to reconsider return-to-office plans

federalnewsnetwork.com posted:

After the National Science Foundation, like many federal agencies, announced return-to-office plans for its employees, the American Federation of Government Employees is calling on the agency to take a step back.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lmao
Statement by Secretary Vilsack Regarding USMCA Dispute Settlement Panel Request on Mexico’s Agricultural Biotechnology Measures

www.usda.gov posted:

WASHINGTON, August 17, 2023 – U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack issued the following statement regarding today’s announcement by the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) that the United States has requested the establishment of a dispute settlement panel with Mexico under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) in regard to Mexico’s agricultural biotechnology policies.

“Mexico’s approach to biotechnology is not based on science and runs counter to decades’ worth of evidence demonstrating its safety and the rigorous, science-based regulatory review system that ensures it poses no harm to human health and the environment:qq:. Innovations in agricultural biotechnology play a key role in advancing solutions to our shared global challenges, including food and nutrition insecurity, the climate crisis and the lingering effects of food price inflation,” said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. “By requesting the establishment of a dispute settlement panel with Mexico, the United States is continuing to exercise its rights under the USMCA to ensure that U.S. producers and exporters have full and fair access to the Mexican market. We will continue to support fair, open, science- and rules-based trade, which serves as the foundation of the USMCA as it was agreed to by all parties.”

Today’s announcement is the latest action USDA and USTR have taken to address the United States’ concerns with Mexico’s biotechnology policies.
I thought this saga was largely settled in the US's favor. it's still kickin!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I forget: is this Mexico daring to do something that actually benefits its people to the detriment (perceived or real) of our imperial government?

Apr 7, 2003

that's right

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

euphronius posted:

Would be lying if I said I wasn't considering it as a lifeboat from academia.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Mandoric posted:

Yau cari qrodadIq tiqvre ouf vbaf fbiz nnaens, iiqbf?

:psyduck:

Apr 7, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

Would be lying if I said I wasn't considering it as a lifeboat from academia.

Lawyers are all insanely weird and hosed up too

Apr 7, 2003

seeing a real problem with human beings here

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I forget: is this Mexico daring to do something that actually benefits its people to the detriment (perceived or real) of our imperial government?

America says Mexico is being unscientific because it threatens Big Corn, and that it is doing this for protectionism. Mexico wants to ban GMO corn for people and change the requirements for what they use for livestock. Mexico argues they harm native varieties and impose health risks.

you can think about glyphosate (roundup) i guess -- you can't use it on living non-GMO corns, although some use it as a desiccant on non-GMO after the harvest.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

our corn gets an extra dose of freedom (glyphosate) and Mexico has always hated freedom

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Meanwhile in protectionism
Commerce Issues Preliminary Determinations of Antidumping Duty Investigations of Tin Mill Products from Canada, the People’s Republic of China, Germany, the Republic of Korea, the Netherlands, Taiwan, the Republic of Turkey, and the United Kingdom

www.commerce.gov posted:

Today, the U.S. Department of Commerce announced that imports of tin mill products from the People’s Republic of China, Canada, and Germany are being unfairly priced, i.e., dumped, into the U.S. market, as part of its antidumping duty (AD) investigations.  Commerce also preliminarily finds that imports of tin mill products from the Republic of Korea, the Netherlands, Taiwan, Turkey, and the United Kingdom are not being dumped.
anyone know the context of this?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
US Steel closed its tinmill plants in 2022 and they're now getting takeover bids. I think they're trying to improve its competitiveness so it doesnt get taken over. If you don't have steel, you dont have a country.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

RealityWarCriminal posted:

US Steel closed its tinmill plants in 2022 and they're now getting takeover bids. I think they're trying to improve its competitiveness so it doesnt get taken over. If you don't have steel, you dont have a country.

I'm sure we can find a way to shutter the Gary Works in the name of capitalist profit seeking.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I would recommend Epic if you are young enough to deal with their grind, get a TS position and get as many certs as you can in the time you can stand to be there, take a year off to wait out the non-compete and then completely loving ball out as a consultant. :shrug:

Apr 7, 2003

US Steel was considering a $7.2b takeover bid. lol. 1/4th a twitter

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Vox Nihili posted:

Please do not attempt to trick lurkers into becoming lawyers.

in order to escape being a lawyer, each serving lawyer must convince or trick someone else into going to law school

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

US Steel was considering a $7.2b takeover bid. lol. 1/4th a twitter

you cant be a real country unless you have overgrown social media giants and a huge fire sector. it helps if you have some kind of a manufacturing base, or some natural resources, but at the very least you need a bunch of social media companies

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

cat botherer posted:

haha, applied to a data science job there yesterday.

Scab

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Suffering from success...

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1692360992506761374

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ozempic is going to have some sort of horrible long-term effects that will only be discovered when 40% of the population is on it long term

https://twitter.com/raphaels7/status/1662021374276255746

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Did they uh forget all of that? If we just transfer over to corporate serfdom, no one will be vested in poo poo. I guess they just don't care since you can build modern police states in ways that fascist regimes of the past could only dream of.

YES they forgot it because those people died and their idiot children and other idiots who grew up in this poo poo loving it are in charge and they’re loving GREEDY IDIOT SCUM