Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

oh i don't necessarily want diving everywhere, i just want swimming on the surface to be as fast as it is underwater. and to never get within an inch of a distant island only to get respawned all the way back at the beginning ever again

ideally they'd just straight-up delete the stamina meter. there's a reason Yelan is the only 5-star i've ever gone for constellations on

Oh yeah, that's true. There is no real point to the swimming stamina drain other than tying it to climbing but I don't mind the stamina meter for climbing because it makes climbing a bit more strategic while swimming is just inconvenient because of it.

SiKboy posted:

Theres at least one of those underwater, which I can tell you kind of sucked to fight especially as I was still getting a grip of the underwater fighting mechanics.

Well that sounds downright not fun to play. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's okay, but it drives me insane that they added two desperately needed QoL changes (no drowning in Fontaine, and you're faster swimming underwater than you are on the surface) and didn't make either one universal

this is even worse than finding out that the glide speed leaf thing from Inazuma was an activated power with only ~25% uptime

It kinda makes sense, you can't really have underwater stuff without not drowning, and they probably don't want to backport something that would trivialize water traversal.

Shame they didn't do something neat, like make fontaine's special water orange or something to contrast the special blue stamina bar/show where you're free from drowning (can't just swap the colors, because I don't think they want to make fontaine the pee lake country).

What's pretty interesting is that it's the third time they've shown "god can do something really neat, but only within their borders." You've got no drowning in fontaine, nahida's mind-reading in sumeru, and raiden's storms isolating inazuma. Presumably zhongli could only actually make mora within liyue, although he never did (or would) say that. God knows what venti does, although if I were stretching I'd say that mare whatever is right next to mondstadt and he just cannot make wind happen there no matter what or something.

Kinda wish there was more to underwater fighting than "find blue thing, hit e a lot. Sometimes hold it." At least you get 4 separate health pools, and not just a single one like the boat. And the robot enemies are pleasantly easy to shut down, but there's fairly few of them in comparison to regular-rear end fish and random missile-launcher rocks.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I've run into two of the underwater bosses and I suspect there's a third because each uses a different underwater power to beat.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SiKboy posted:

Theres at least one of those underwater, which I can tell you kind of sucked to fight especially as I was still getting a grip of the underwater fighting mechanics.

If it's the one in the sealed cave underneath the hot spring, I actually had a bit of fun with it when I realized it was set up to be a parry fight.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
i found three cases of underwater mini-boss, two of which were functionally identical.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Arle using polar arms is lame

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I could do with a QoL update for a patch where you don't need to slowly use Kaeya to get to that island off Mondstat and it could be as simple as updating Mondstat to have a port + giving us the boat

Easier methods of doing simpler things too. Like in BOTW you can use wind on a fire and create an updraft, make that available in Genshin too as long as there's grass around. If there's not grass, make it available if there's a dendro seed + pyro + anemo. Same with breaking rocks, there's the shatter method which requires Geo + Cryo but most Geo characters in the game can already just break rocks on their own except for Yun Jin and Gorou. Razor can also break rocks real fast but again, he's already a claymore user

Little trinkets that can mimic structures that trigger pressure plates like Geo MC, Zhongli, Amber, and Yaoyao.

Every survey I suggest these and someday they'll happen. I know the game is designed around completing everything with F2P characters but this far in they can at least make the old content less daunting due to constantly swapping characters

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Tampa Bae posted:

I could do with a QoL update for a patch where you don't need to slowly use Kaeya to get to that island off Mondstat and it could be as simple as updating Mondstat to have a port + giving us the boat
Which one? The one in the lake has wind updrafts that you can use (on the far side from Mondstadt city). The Spiral Abyss island has a portal: it's in a goofy place but you only have to do that once.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

If it's the one in the sealed cave underneath the hot spring, I actually had a bit of fun with it when I realized it was set up to be a parry fight.

That's the one I'm missing, cool!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Incoherence posted:

Which one? The one in the lake has wind updrafts that you can use (on the far side from Mondstadt city). The Spiral Abyss island has a portal: it's in a goofy place but you only have to do that once.

He means the one off one of the cliffs on the east end.

You're meant to use amber and glide, that should have enough stamina to make it and not land in the ocean and drown 10 feet from shore. Or you could eat an otherwise useless stamina food, I guess

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

There's iirc nothing but a one-time quest chain, some crabs, and a couple of ruin guards on that island anyway, and there are better places to get crabs from now.

It was only really ever an issue super early on before we had a bunch of extra stamina and resources available.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also I'm not posting it in the HSR thread because I cant play it and don't wanna see apoilers. But, one thought I had: they should've called her March VII instead. Roman numerals would've been a better idea.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Theres a bunch of underwater minibosses, that's the "large marine fauna" I was talking about. Taken down 5 of them so far, with 3 unique types between them. The first time I found one, I thought, oh hey, this is what that flying fox thing from the last event was testing/training for! Then they took out 3 of my characters lol

Zhongli is my dedicated fighter and he's died like 3 times so far :(

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Meowywitch posted:

backwards rear end decision. It puts her directly up against two of the best characters in game, Xiangling and Hu Tao, and also Homa is so loving strong it'll probably be just fine on her so like even from a money sucking standing, you will probably have people skipping her weapon banner to just keep using Homa.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Also I'm not posting it in the HSR thread because I cant play it and don't wanna see apoilers. But, one thought I had: they should've called her March VII instead. Roman numerals would've been a better idea.

tbh I love march 7th as a weird space name

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

sushibandit posted:

There's iirc nothing but a one-time quest chain, some crabs, and a couple of ruin guards on that island anyway, and there are better places to get crabs from now.

It was only really ever an issue super early on before we had a bunch of extra stamina and resources available.

There's also a max level (min 40) eye of the storm. Lots of fun when you have no characters and can't ascend yet.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
So "This quest is over, now a giant jet of water will make you bugger off" is going to be a theme, I see

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

sushibandit posted:

It's still a needlessly complicated world quest and no, getting on the highest peak and gliding over to it didn't make it all the way to the island unless you already had a full stamina bar

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

delfin posted:

So "This quest is over, now a giant jet of water will make you bugger off" is going to be a theme, I see
I'm confident that Fontaine is going to extend East/southeast until we can unlock the port in Liyue that was mentioned which includes a whole zone under celestia.

The other train goes to Snezhnaya but there's a lot of NPCs talking about Natlan for the first time.

If Natlan's based off North America it really does make sense the first guy we talks to mentions how many different tribes are in Natlan who have completely different rules so I can see us going to the equivalent of Jamestown and three or four expansions based on different native americantribes including a City of Gold.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Eimi posted:

backwards rear end decision. It puts her directly up against two of the best characters in game, Xiangling and Hu Tao, and also Homa is so loving strong it'll probably be just fine on her so like even from a money sucking standing, you will probably have people skipping her weapon banner to just keep using Homa.

Counterpoint: polearm non-dendro/anemo characters suck if you don't pull on weapon and your only decent polearms are The Catch and the Inazuma craftable because you've never gotten fav lance!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tree Reformat posted:

Counterpoint: polearm non-dendro/anemo characters suck if you don't pull on weapon and your only decent polearms are The Catch and the Inazuma craftable because you've never gotten fav lance!

I suppose, but they're just not up so directly against the Polearm Archon herself.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Really kind of funny how they unintentionally created the most broken 4*s immediately with Bennett, Xiangling, Xingqiu, and Fischl, people just didn't realize how strong they were in 1.0. I also remember Zhongli having like four different buffs to become an actual archon and afaik is the only character that's ever been given direct buffs

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

zhongli's buffs unfortunately didn't translate to changes to his polearm. vortex vanquisher is a weird weapon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Xiangling and especially Fischl were actually very appreciated from day 1 because their elemental skills were off field and meaningful (and most people owned both because Fischl was on Venti banner). Yes, guoba was actually appreciated (I won't even go into crescent pike). Fischl's constellations were especially prized because seeing oz do a thousand damage on summon was mindblowing.

The thing about 1.0 is no one could burst in time (because everyone was using level 8 purple artifacts) so people would value elemental skills and normal attacks over elemental burst, and keqingluc were appreciated because they could burst more than once a minute. This was also an era when "ICD" wasn't a concept anyone understood yet so the finer points of xingqiu and pyronado were waaay beyond anyone's comprehension.

Similarly, people love talking about how dumb it was for people to "overlook" Bennett's kit but again nobody understood energy generation, the way the game is designed you feel like it's something that just happens passively. In 1.0 Bennett would burst once a minute for most players and yeah in that case he really doesn't do a whole lot, same with Xingqiu. You'd be more impressed with Razor who could actually be up all the time even at 100ER if you collect his orbs properly. Fundamentally the early misunderstands of the game all derive from the realities of burst economy at low AR as well as the lack of understanding of energy generation in general. Playing Venti even at low AR was like playing a character from the future because between his A4, fav bow, and his ascension stat he'd actually have good energy generation.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 18, 2023

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

According to leaks even though she uses pole arms, all her attacks just summon orphans to attack enemies for her whilst she assumes smug poses.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

COMRADE FROG

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Traveller posted:

COMRADE FROG

Best new character haha.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Petition to make Navia the new main character of Genshin Impact

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Do we have any idea if the Archon Quest is wrapping up completely in 4.1, or continuing through to 4.2? Sumeru split it up, but those patches were also on a much tighter schedule, and we're back to six weeks now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Do we have any idea if the Archon Quest is wrapping up completely in 4.1, or continuing through to 4.2? Sumeru split it up, but those patches were also on a much tighter schedule, and we're back to six weeks now.
should be wrapping up in 4.2

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I guess that makes sense. It would be weird to finish the story before the Archon comes out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm. (both world quest epilogue spoilers) Ann and Seymour have departed for Annapausis. Can I find them somewhere in there right now, maybe wait for rollover?

Though the warp to the book-dream of Mary-Ann doesn't seem to be there anymore, so maybe it continues in the next patch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Traveller posted:

COMRADE FROG

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Seems like a safe bet that they're going to fill in the entire Fontaine plateau in 4.x., but I'm curious what their plans for the giant lake between it and the rest of the world are. I thought it was bizarre how the first thing you do in Fontaine is summon a waverider to cross one tiny section of a place that's almost entirely out of bounds, so at first I figured they must plan on opening it as an underwater zone sooner rather than later. But it's huge, and then I saw the very obvious hooks for new zones on the main plateau. So maybe it's meant to stay as a no-man's-land for the foreseeable future, regardless of how weird it looks. Hoyo do seem much less bothered about these sharp edges of the world than I would be.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The main city of Fontaine, the aquabus tracks, and the giant tower out of bounds on the east side of the map there are now visible from the Sumeru rainforest. Urban sprawl encroaches on natural vistas even in open world anime video games.

Kale
May 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

4.2 plus trickle epilogue and interlude stuff in character stories, events and hangouts that come after usually up to about the .5 or .6 patches I would figure. Usually the 2nd act of the archon quests tie heavily into the backstory and lore of the nation I've noticed by bringing up something from the Archons past and are the true capstones to a given regions arc. Events are hit or miss typically on overall relevance but there always seems to be one during each arc that is kind of pivotal to the lore.

3.7 seems like theres no real tradition to it and then the .8s are summer themed but this one obviously does things differently where instead of throwing some risque swimsuits onto the cast its here go explore this summer oasis with this pyromaniac kid of some eccentric witch.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 18, 2023

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Two minor things;

1) I think the reason I'm dying comparatively often in underwater fights is the lack of damage feedback; Not only do I not have any of the normal healing/shielding I have in landlubber fights, I dont have any of the normal combat barks to alert me to the fact I hosed up and ate a bunch of damage, first I notice is when the character actually dies. This could do with improving.

2) I just got a midlander sword billet from the fountain, and checked the map. The fountain is in fact further north than every point in the game I ever got a northlander billet.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Archon Quest: why'd they have the Traveler be about to kill Childe in his story quest if they're going to be friendly with him now? Nothing changed about their relationship!

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

valuum posted:

Had a few hours with the patch and figured hey, Lyney is neat enough and I'll have time to get the archon anyway. Wouldnt mind some Lynette constellations, C4 is great!

First 10 wishes: Lyney (guaranteed pity)
Second 10: Lyney + Lynette
Third 10: Lyney + Lynette

What is this madness!??

Fourth: nothing
Fifth: Another Lyney..

At this rate I'm never getting the archon, it's impossible to build pity rate!

SiKboy posted:

1) I think the reason I'm dying comparatively often in underwater fights is the lack of damage feedback; Not only do I not have any of the normal healing/shielding I have in landlubber fights, I dont have any of the normal combat barks to alert me to the fact I hosed up and ate a bunch of damage, first I notice is when the character actually dies. This could do with improving.

Huh, hadnt thought about this before you posted, but yeah 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Fischl, Furina, Yae, Itto and Dori should share the same scene together IMO. There would be nothing left of it after they finished devouring it all but it'd be a sight to behold I'm sure.