Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

a face shield and no mask.

A bit ago someone said something to the effect of "we've known for the vast majority of this pandemic that covid is airborne." This is a clear indicator that even covid-cautious people still believe it is primarily spread by droplets. At least, I can't think of any other explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Malgrin posted:

A bit ago someone said something to the effect of "we've known for the vast majority of this pandemic that covid is airborne." This is a clear indicator that even covid-cautious people still believe it is primarily spread by droplets. At least, I can't think of any other explanation.

Trump himself told interviewers that it was airborne in March of 2020 lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 02:44 on Aug 18, 2023

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Malgrin posted:

Well, QCS believes it's absorbed through the skin, so who can say what's true?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Speaking of reporting data, just check out that pop up on the WHO dashboard lol

https://covid19.who.int/

lol get hosed WHO dashboard :flip:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

NYT asks "How Bad Is a Second (or Third or Fourth) Case of Covid?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/well/live/covid-reinfection.html (note the live well; live your best life!)

quote:

Doctors and scientists who study Covid-19 agree that for most people, getting infected for a second — or third or fourth — time is basically inevitable.

The first loving sentence is complete garbage! gently caress you!!

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

SardonicTyrant posted:

If anything, it would follow that it's economically cost efficient to not let an infectious respiratory virus spread across a country for three years.

see, the mistake that you're making is thinking about "three years" instead of "next quarter"

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

icantfindaname posted:

Is carageenan spray supposed to sting? I was using an off brand for a while and it would sting, now I got the flo travel name brand and it doesn't. Am I doing it wrong, either before or now?

i tried the carrageenan and the saline rinse and gave thoughts about it in the previous thread. the saline rinse didn’t have much sting or tingle. i initially thought the carrageenan didn’t have any sting, since i didn’t have any comparison points before hand, but i now recognize a bit of a sting from it. it is somewhat lessened by spraying back into the sinus vs the straight up the nose method i thought was correct. both bottles of the flo brand have had the same sting

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

BA.X, the everything variant!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

eXXon posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/well/live/covid-reinfection.html (note the live well; live your best life!)

lol an article from 2021

*reads headline*

oh no

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Pingui posted:

Slide deck on BA.X/BA.2.86/BA.6/Danish Variant/Frederiksen Variant/whatever you want to call it (from Bloom Lab):

We "only" have four sequences of this uploaded in a short amount of time in several different regions. Considering the absolutely pitiful amount of sequencing being done right now to the amount of sequencing being done in late 2021 when OG Omicron showed up, that does not instill any sort of confidence that this isn't already widely seeded.

[Edited to add]: Ryan sums it up well; if it spreads quickly there will be fewer mutations between the sequences than if it spreads slowly. At first it looked like there were quite a few differences between the sequences from different continents but that might actually be due to artifacts. We'll find out what the case is when more inevitably get uploaded now that more labs will be on the lookout.

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1692282979928703274

Rosalind posted:

I wrote a request to the Nebraska DHHS Epi department general email for access to the wastewater data from my academic email since I couldn't identify a contactperson. I will let this thread know if I hear anything back.

Please let us know what you find out!

Zantie has issued a correction as of 03:42 on Aug 18, 2023

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

eXXon posted:

Sure, but the second, third and fourth sentences are probably better because you build up immunity

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Real Mean Queen posted:

Sure, but the second, third and fourth sentences are probably better because you build up immunity

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Why are these new variants worse than the other ones? My brain is having trouble comprehending this..perhaps because I am a walking COVID magnet, so could someone tell me what makes Eris and the other one terrible?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

here's epothex

flo travel nasal spray says it's preservative free but don't have the ingredients handy

and here's betadine

so epothex has a ton of preservatives in it. but I can't say if that's good or bad.

Probably the alcohol.

quote:

Can cause itching for some people: "As is the case for most preservatives, benzyl alcohol can, unfortunately, be an irritant and cause itching for some people," says Krant.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Yep it’s that, mucous membranes do not like alcohols

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

Why are these new variants worse than the other ones? My brain is having trouble comprehending this..perhaps because I am a walking COVID magnet, so could someone tell me what makes Eris and the other one terrible?

They're more transmissible/immune evasive, they seem to be asymptomatic longer and they're putting more people in the hospital, is the gist of it (though that could be because they're infecting more people not necessarily because they're more virulent).

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

I'm seriously overly simplifying it, but the more mutations a new subvariant has away from what we currently have circulating, or previously had exposure to, the more "unrecognized" it is to our immune system. For generalized context Omicron had over 30 mutations different from the original in 2019 and this new one is >30 mutations different than Omicron.

People largely focus on mutations involving the spike protein that result an amino acid change, though I'd argue it's worth paying attention to regions other than the spike protein but that's a discussion for another day... Right now the new sublineage we're talking about (BA.2.86), its spike protein has >30 amino acid changes from it's parent of BA.2 (an omicron), it's also >30 compared to XBB.1.5 (an omicron recombinant), and has nearly 60 different from the original back in 2019. We don't know yet how quickly BA.2.86 is spreading or just how immune evasive it is because it's too early to tell. In general though it's a lot harder for our immune system to recognize and mount a quick response, whether it be from prior infection or vaccination or both, when a new one looks this different.

I'm like totally uninterested in EG.5.1/Eris now because of BA.2.86. EG.5.1 is one of many heading up our current wave but I'm looking past that at what will likely be the one after it.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Aug 18, 2023

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

quote:

Doctors and scientists who study Covid-19 agree that for most common people, getting infected for a second — or third or fourth — time is basically inevitable.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Zantie posted:

People largely focus on mutations involving the spike protein that result an amino acid change, though I'd argue it's worth paying attention to regions other than the spike protein but that's a discussion for another day... Right now the new sublineage we're talking about Omicron, its spike protein has >30 amino acid changes from it's parent of Omicron (an omicron), it's also >30 compared to Omicron (an omicron omicron), and has nearly 60 different from the original back in 2019. We don't know yet how quickly Omicron is spreading or just how immune evasive it is because it's too early to tell. In general though it's a lot harder for our immune system to recognize and mount a quick response, whether it be from prior infection or vaccination or both, when a new one looks this different.

I'm like totally uninterested in Omicron now because of Omicron. Omicron is one of many heading up our current wave but I'm looking past that at what will likely be the one after it.
Fixed to follow WHO guidelines.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

That is mildly concerning.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

eXXon posted:

Doctors and scientists who study Covid-19 agree that for most people, getting infected for a second — or third or fourth — time is basically inevitable.

(Padme face) :) Per lifetime, right?

(Padme face) :( Per lifetime, right?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Real Mean Queen posted:

lol. Either that or get permanent brain damage.

(there's a commenter who described taking every precaution but still catching covid seven times and having to give up her successful psychology practice due to long covid brain fog but I refuse to believe all of that)

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

general thread thing

I'm begging everyone to please put at least some context around tweets about a celebrity being unspecifically ill

is this related to covid? he had it earlier, right? is it something else? is there some element to the story that makes it fit itt?

I get enough contextless celebrity gossip from my bing.com homepage

The thing is, if they don't admit it's covid to hide it, not noting it happened is colluding in their covering it up. Following some kind of moneyed public relations decorum to everyone's disadvantage.

I was thinking also government and capital will go all out this time to bury any indication of this next wave so they can say it's over. They've been doing that all along, and they'll keep trying until everyone gives up.

Kind of counterproductive to cooperate with and enforce that imo.

ibid has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Aug 18, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Zantie posted:

Right now the new sublineage we're talking about (BA.2.86), its spike protein has >30 amino acid changes from it's parent of BA.2 (an omicron), it's also >30 compared to XBB.1.5 (an omicron recombinant), and has nearly 60 different from the original back in 2019.
Do we know much about the new mutations yet? I remember when Omicron showed up, it was a who's who of all the possible mutations that experts were worried about, plus some more.

Rochallor posted:

(Padme face) :) Per lifetime, right?

(Padme face) :( Per lifetime, right?
(Doctors and scientists) :nsa:

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

Bastard Tetris posted:

Yep it’s that, mucous membranes do not like alcohols

I've been reading about mucins lately, gotta keep your mucins happy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7663010/

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acscentsci.1c01369

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I haven’t been infected, afaik, for even a first time so those doctors and scientists can gently caress right off

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

jetz0r posted:

Fixed to follow WHO guidelines.

:sludgepal:

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
(The word common wasn't there until I added it. Supposed to be a critique of the article and more accurate to what they were saying,)

ibid has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Aug 18, 2023

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glumwheels posted:

I haven’t been infected, afaik, for even a first time so those doctors and scientists can gently caress right off

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Do we know much about the new mutations yet? I remember when Omicron showed up, it was a who's who of all the possible mutations that experts were worried about, plus some more.

There's a list of them in the slides published by Bloom that Pingui linked earlier. They aren't encouraging though, mostly tied to the usual ones found in chronic infections. Obviously we don't know how these particular mutations may differ in presentation together vs separately either and most of what's outlined with them (regarding concern/severity) are based in hypotheticals.

Zugzwang posted:

(Doctors and scientists) :nsa:

lol

Zantie has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Aug 18, 2023

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Zantie posted:

I'm seriously overly simplifying it, but the more mutations a new subvariant has away from what we currently have circulating, or previously had exposure to, the more "unrecognized" it is to our immune system. For generalized context Omicron had over 30 mutations different from the original in 2019 and this new one is >30 mutations different than Omicron.

People largely focus on mutations involving the spike protein that result an amino acid change, though I'd argue it's worth paying attention to regions other than the spike protein but that's a discussion for another day... Right now the new sublineage we're talking about (BA.2.86), its spike protein has >30 amino acid changes from it's parent of BA.2 (an omicron), it's also >30 compared to XBB.1.5 (an omicron recombinant), and has nearly 60 different from the original back in 2019. We don't know yet how quickly BA.2.86 is spreading or just how immune evasive it is because it's too early to tell. In general though it's a lot harder for our immune system to recognize and mount a quick response, whether it be from prior infection or vaccination or both, when a new one looks this different.

I'm like totally uninterested in EG.5.1/Eris now because of BA.2.86. EG.5.1 is one of many heading up our current wave but I'm looking past that at what will likely be the one after it.

fwiw hospitalizations have been stagnant for the past week, hovering around 790 0- so this wave maybe be over, or they’re hiding it

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Zantie posted:

There's a list of them in the slides published by Bloom that Pingui linked earlier. They aren't encouraging though, mostly tied to the usual ones found in chronic infections. Obviously we don't know how these particular mutations may differ in presentation together vs separately either and most of what's outlined with them (regarding concern/severity) are based in hypotheticals.
Thanks to you and Pingui :buddy:

I agree that it's hard to know the situation atm given how little sequencing we're now doing. "Only" 4 sequences might be a lot in a low-surveillance scenario. I'm too tired to plot it now, but I think the rate of new submissions to GISAID has really gone off a cliff over the last few months. Not surprising at all when you consider the ending of the public health emergency etc etc

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

Pillowpants posted:

fwiw hospitalizations have been stagnant for the past week, hovering around 790 0- so this wave maybe be over, or they’re hiding it

Jort Fortress posted:

My 91yo grandma has been stuck in a nursing home doing rehab the past 2 weeks after breaking her hip at home. Shockingly, both her and my grandpa are now sick with Summer Flu for the first time. Guess my grandpa had it so bad he was hospitalized the last 3 nights, and according to my uncle they didn't even test him for Covid, instead suggesting it might be bronchitis or RSV. They also told my uncle he didn't need to wear his mask in the hospital, lmao.

Thank God for all these tools that are available!

Or just not testing

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/JPWeiland/status/1692307567123546355

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/pedsmd2b/status/1692319357333037385
https://twitter.com/pedsmd2b/status/1692323957733814296

ibid has issued a correction as of 06:25 on Aug 18, 2023

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I will never get over how funny the duck masks are, I love them

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I went to the doctor today for a check on my cholesterol and overheard the nurse inform the doctor my case and at the end say “oh he’s wearing a mask”. Now why would she say that?

Maybe she said it so the doctor would wear a mask and make me feel comfortable? The doctor is pregnant so if I were here I’d definitely be masked too. Not a single other person in the office (patient or staff I saw) was wearing a mask.

You’re going into a place potentially with sick, immunocompromised people why would you risk getting sick or making others sick??

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

doctors offices are a virus neutral zone. a DMZ. they aren't allowed to infect you while you are there.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Too Many Birds posted:

doctors offices are a virus neutral zone. a DMZ. they aren't allowed to infect you while you are there.

pursuant to complaints about questionable medical advice arising from the c-spam covid thread, I regret to inform you that viruses are too tiny to hold pens and have thus not signed any accords recognizing this or any other negotiation, despite the best efforts of the very best and brightest liberal minds to rules-lawyer material reality out of existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

I will never get over how funny the duck masks are, I love them