Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Quick question, is there a good repository of imperial and metric thread STLs for nuts and bolts? I can usually find what I'm looking for on Thingiverse, but that typically requires me to search around and then edit a part to get what I want. I see someone has made a 'customizer' on Thingiverse where you can put in the space between threads, the thread depth, etc to generate your own threading, but what I'm looking for is either some pre-made ones for known threads or the pre-made numbers to throw into the customizer to get what I want.

For example, if I want to print something that screws like a nut onto a threaded rod, I'd like to be able to just look at the tag for the rod, see it's a 7/16"-14 and plug that in somewhere to get a STL of the rod threading.

Open Fusion 360, go to the McMaster-Carr, find what you need, press insert, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Good Listener posted:

So I've gotten the idea in my head over the weekend after seeing an action figure system called Glyos...

Does anyone in this thread use 3d printing to make their own little figures and the like? I'm researching this and since we have a crafts forum I thought I'd check here too. If this is the wrong thread, I apologize!

There's more of that in the 3d printing for tabletop gaming thread but there's a lot of overlap.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959573

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Fusion has a big ol' selection of thread sizes built right in, no extra Boolean operations needed unless you want something like 72.6 Threads per Millifathom or whatever. Take your object, punch a hole in it (doesn't even need to be the right size), and use the Thread command under the Create menu to tell it what diameter/pitch/length you want. Make sure to tick the "Modeled" button to create actual geometry for 3D printing.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Rexxed posted:

There's more of that in the 3d printing for tabletop gaming thread but there's a lot of overlap.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959573

I appreciate it! I felt like there might've been something there but probably missed it due to searching during work hours ahha. Thanks!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hm, I bought a couple Gambody models to print, and I'm not super impressed.
The models are way way more detailed than I expected, and more like a model kit, which is neat.

But it really feels like the FDM models aren't really designed to make the most of FDM printers.
A lot of larger, complex shapes where there's no great way to align them. Either you get a ton of supports on the outside, marring it, or set it up on the inside where parts join.
(But then you have to sand them down, because they expect you to print them so that the interlocking internal surfaces are smooth ish.)

They offer no hints on how pieces should be oriented for printing, and a bunch of pieces seem to be intended to be printed 'flat', but that gives them a pretty poor surface compared to standing.
It feels like you're supposed to 'waste' the higher vertical resolution of the printer on making the internal surfaces smooth, instead of using it to make the exterior pretty, for some of the shapes.
Feels a lot like they just designed the 3D model chunks without consideration for how 'resolution' works with a good ol' plasticmelter.

The models themselves are neat. (Pelican(Halo), and Gypsy Danger), but I guess I'll double check the pieces of future models to see if they're going to be a hassle to print or not. (Please stop me before I print a dozen articulated mechwarrior mechs.)

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
That's basically all of FDM in a nutshell. Even the professional grade machines with soluble support materials have issues with layer lines and part orientation affecting finish. On the stratasys machine that we used to have a work, we had issues with part finish, and there was basically nothing we could do about bc it was a closed ecosystem with limited tweaking.

It's getting better, especially the home machines and their myriad firmwares and diy community but it'll always be a compromise between multiple factors to get a print that you're happy with.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, my annoyance is more that the models they (Gambody) sell feel like they're designed to be 3D models that fit nicely together, and not physical objects to print and put together, kinda.
Breaking apart some of the biggest parts into something that can be printed right on the bed standing upright would improve them notably.
My annoyance isn't with the machine's limitations, but rather that even these premium-y models to print just... don't seem to actually be designed to be said limitations in mind.

There's a couple places where they could have moved seams around a bit to make flat pieces that could be printed upright by default, but instead chose to have 3D interlocking stuff that makes it a bit more tedious.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
That's an interesting service. It seems like they put a lot of work into making actual 3D printable stuff. They even have a bunch of prebaked settings for different slicers.

they do have a sample ultimaker build plate with the parts oriented on it, and it looked like they generally want you to keep the layer lines perpendicular to the longer axis of the individual parts.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

SubNat posted:

Hm, I bought a couple Gambody models to print, and I'm not super impressed.
The models are way way more detailed than I expected, and more like a model kit, which is neat.
*designed for printing*
The models themselves are neat. (Pelican(Halo), and Gypsy Danger), but I guess I'll double check the pieces of future models to see if they're going to be a hassle to print or not. (Please stop me before I print a dozen articulated mechwarrior mechs.)

There's a strong divide between people who do 3d models, and people who do 3d printing. And... finding someone who knows both well enough to print things well is rare indeed.

The worst bit, is the people making the models rarely have any desire to think about planning for printing. As is clear from your complaints (Mine.. are similar..)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Rad-daddio posted:

That's an interesting service. It seems like they put a lot of work into making actual 3D printable stuff. They even have a bunch of prebaked settings for different slicers.

they do have a sample ultimaker build plate with the parts oriented on it, and it looked like they generally want you to keep the layer lines perpendicular to the longer axis of the individual parts.

Yeah, a part I found pretty interesting is that they make FDM and SLA versions of most models, with separate models for each. (A number of FDM models are also articulated, or have hollows where you can add lighting etc.)
There's a lot of stuff they do right. (Free updates / iterated versions of models over time, etc.)

As for the sample ultimaker build plate, those are actually unprintable, the files aren't shared, and mostly seem to exist to show that you can print the model in X amount of runs, I guess?
(Unless ultimaker printers can print 90 degree overhangs.) The one for the Pelican gives the impression that the parts can be printed supportless, in the 'default orientation' which isn't really true.

Honestly a lot of my complaints are just first-world/'good but could be better' whining, and they have different people making the different models (To presumably different standards.), so it's possible my complaints only apply to the guy who made this model specifically.

Nerobro posted:

The worst bit, is the people making the models rarely have any desire to think about planning for printing. As is clear from your complaints (Mine.. are similar..)

Yeah, on the resin-print side I have encountered a number of models with 'realistic' proportions, leading to some incredibly thin and weak details at their intended size.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

As far as I know, gambody is just a pirate site selling ripped video game assets

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prusa support says i "should" be able to configure my xl preorder with 5 extruders, like i wanted back in fuckin november 2021, "before the end of the month"

gaaaahhhhhhhh come onnnnn i wanna gently caress around with multiple nozzle sizes and materials in the same print

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

BMan posted:

As far as I know, gambody is just a pirate site selling ripped video game assets

I find this likely, I've been very not impressed with them and they charge way more than they deserve to get.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Reorganized my filament storage and went with the RepRack system

Gonna print out 4 more brackets for 2 more shelves and then buy enough filament to fill em up lol

The 2 printers that love eating all that filament

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What is that lovely yellow-green filament you're using there?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sockser posted:

What is that lovely yellow-green filament you're using there?

More specifically which one? The ones the brackets are printed out of? Or one on the shelf?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So I just picked up a Neptune 4 Pro, what would be the easiest way to remote print to that bad boy? It came with a cat5 cable, but I only have wifi in the house. Can I get a USB wifi stick plug that into the Neptune 4 Pro?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

mattfl posted:

More specifically which one? The ones the brackets are printed out of? Or one on the shelf?

The brackets, specifically

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Did anyone with a Bambu connected to the :cloud: get a random print this morning? Apparently when the servers reset it may have just sent the last command again.

Some people got ghost prints, some got broken nozzles, and my personal favorite, some double size jump mans.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BambuLab/comments/15sb7kp/bambu_bug_successfully_printed_more_jumpmans_on/

Edit: Most likely reason is the servers restarting and firing off queued prints that failed to start when the servers were down last night. Amazing.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 16, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah that's fuckin weird.

Bambu has also in the past pushed a new software version followed immediately the next day with OOPS EVERYONE PLEASE UPDATE AGAIN to NEW_New_version_this_one (1).exe kthanxwhoops
so their software testing and version control might not be where it should ideally be.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sockser posted:

The brackets, specifically

That is iiidmax fluorescent yellow

https://iiidmax.com/product/fluorescent-yellow-pla-filament/

I usually buy their 10 pack when they have a sale and usually pay about $10/roll.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I had some cloud issues sending prints so I switched over to lan mode and avoided any damage/issues luckily

Bambu kinda has a poo poo show on its hands with all the damage replacements they (should) be on the hook for, and they really need to tighten up LAN mode because 90% of the userbase is going to switch cloud off now (if the haven't already with privacy concerns)

Lan mode is slow, janky, and loses connection often, and doesn't respect your printer rename. And at least with the P1 series, you can't see any status or camera locally.

All these issues, plus a slew of back to back slicer releases, really are giving them a bit of poopy pants. It's nice you guys make constant updates, but maybe test a bit more first.

Edit: and funny enough even though my handy app is useless locally, I did start exploring other features, and according to history, it did try and send another 9h print to my printer and its listed as 'printing'. So I did dodge a bullet there

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 16, 2023

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bondematt posted:

Did anyone with a Bambu connected to the :cloud: get a random print this morning? Apparently when the servers reset it may have just sent the last command again.

Some people got ghost prints, some got broken nozzles, and my personal favorite, some double size jump mans.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BambuLab/comments/15sb7kp/bambu_bug_successfully_printed_more_jumpmans_on/

Edit: Most likely reason is the servers restarting and firing off queued prints that failed to start when the servers were down last night. Amazing.

the future is weird.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’s a little necro, but if you’re just starting in CAD, the Onshape elearning platform is *excellent* and it does a lot of important stuff that Fusion doesn’t. It’s very easy to run into the ceiling of things Fusion does well, it’s very bad at bills of materials/parts list for instance.

The lessons you learn in Onshape CAD also apply to SOLIDWORKS and Fusion 360 and it’s free as well. Unless you’re doing CNC work, I honestly wouldn’t recommend Fusion or SW Makers Offer.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I have some reservations about being locked into the bambulab ecosystem but their stuff just works so well I'm kind of OK with it. I'm placing an order for another 5 p1p's to get ready for christmas tonight. luckily my printers avoided the phantom print stuff

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

queeb posted:

I have some reservations about being locked into the bambulab ecosystem but their stuff just works so well I'm kind of OK with it. I'm placing an order for another 5 p1p's to get ready for christmas tonight. luckily my printers avoided the phantom print stuff

Everytime you post I become more envious of you quitting your job and turning your hobby into a real job.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Its not life changing money so far yet but it's definitely equal to my previous job, and I get to print cool bullshit for people lol. I'm currently working on my website and then from there who knows! I'm already crazy busy, it's great

But also I imagine the money and work right now is going to double or triple heading up to Christmas so yeah, could be really good!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

What kind of stuff do you print if you don't mind me asking? People seem to enjoy the small garbage I print but I'm hard pressed to imagine what could sell enough to replace a full job. Or is it just volume?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yeah even with the ghost printing incident I still want a P1S or X1C with an AMS.

Just want to see their response before I pull the trigger.

Edit: Good initial response at least
https://blog.bambulab.com/cloud-temporary-outage-investigation/

DP: Really hope they shore up LAN mode, it's kinda ridiculous to build a printer system around always online.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 16, 2023

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Yeah even with the ghost printing incident I still want a P1P or X1C with an AMS.

Just want to see their response before I pull the trigger.

https://blog.bambulab.com/cloud-temporary-outage-investigation

They posted a response.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Son of Rodney posted:

What kind of stuff do you print if you don't mind me asking? People seem to enjoy the small garbage I print but I'm hard pressed to imagine what could sell enough to replace a full job. Or is it just volume?

minis, dnd stuff, scifi gaming stuff, maybe tapping into model train scale stuff.

it brings in like ~200 daily, sometimes WAY more, ive had some 1k+ days, we'll see what that becomes in the xmas lead up as this will be my first real christmas doing it. I have one big game store signed on that I do their printing, going to reach out to more.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

queeb posted:

minis, dnd stuff, scifi gaming stuff, maybe tapping into model train scale stuff.

it brings in like ~200 daily, sometimes WAY more, ive had some 1k+ days, we'll see what that becomes in the xmas lead up as this will be my first real christmas doing it. I have one big game store signed on that I do their printing, going to reach out to more.

You may want to look into Cinderwings, their print license is only 10 bucks a month and it might allow you to sell some add on items that your primary audience might want for their spouse.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

mattfl posted:

The 2 printers that love eating all that filament

OOO, is that a canbus build?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

deimos posted:

OOO, is that a canbus build?

Yep and it was a pain in the rear end, and I guess worth it?

Then I threw on Tap(https://github.com/VoronDesign/Voron-Tap which wasn't that big of a pain in the rear end.

Added the REVO HF nozzle and 60W heater core.

Then got KAMP(https://github.com/kyleisah/Klipper-Adaptive-Meshing-Purging) working which was pretty straight forward.

And it's currently printing a bunch of PLA parts at the moment lol. I know PLA is a waste on it but it prints it so nicely and I've got it running almost as fast as the P1P so I'm just gonna continue with PLA for now and enjoy the larger print bed.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I started watched a few of Slant3D's videos and y'all were right. That guy really likes to smell his own farts.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Filament sensors seem kinda stupid but I just ran out of filament on hour 24 of a 27 hour print and my prusa paused and waited for me to swap out the spool.. now I think they're a lifesaver

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
The fact that my older Markforged printer doesn’t have a runout sensor is insane to me. They do some ~~math~~ to calculate how much is left on the roll. Then, they are weird about how they sell it - theres 800g (not a kg for some reason) per roll, minimum, with some unknown extra amount after that.

I just wait for the prompts that come up saying it might run out during the print, and then eyeball the filament until I think we’ll run out mid print. I’m pretty good at it by this point! I’ve had it down to just the filament in the Bowden tube, completely off the reel.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

mattfl posted:

Yep and it was a pain in the rear end, and I guess worth it?

Then I threw on Tap(https://github.com/VoronDesign/Voron-Tap which wasn't that big of a pain in the rear end.

Added the REVO HF nozzle and 60W heater core.

Then got KAMP(https://github.com/kyleisah/Klipper-Adaptive-Meshing-Purging) working which was pretty straight forward.

And it's currently printing a bunch of PLA parts at the moment lol. I know PLA is a waste on it but it prints it so nicely and I've got it running almost as fast as the P1P so I'm just gonna continue with PLA for now and enjoy the larger print bed.

Nice. I wish canbus survived inside a doomcube. The only option there is either watercoloring or ambient air getting pumped in and out of the canbus board for the hotter chamber filaments. Neither is really worth it so many cables it is.

For PLA printing check out the XOL. It has better cooling than the stealth burner and a spot for a thermistor on the top of the extruder heat sink so you can track heat creep.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have a few 0.1-0.3 m prints of disposable vase mode funnels that I will use to exactly finish out a roll if I feel like doing so. It's just rarely worth the effort to "save" 18 inches of $7/kg PLA+ imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

deimos posted:

For PLA printing check out the XOL. It has better cooling than the stealth burner and a spot for a thermistor on the top of the extruder heat sink so you can track heat creep.

I've run 3 full spools of PLA through it in the past few weeks with 0 issues and 10+ hour long prints. I'm not touching a single thing right now lol