Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Believe it or not the Middle East is also not a continent

Yeah, but geopolitically, it has a lot more coherence is my point. Not total, but more than Africa. I guess I'm mostly just complaining that Sub Saharan Africa is not elegant. I think the proper Roman solution would be calling it Transsahara, but that's literally Eurocentric nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Saladman posted:

Geopolitically it’s either sub-Saharan Africa or the MENA region - Middle East and North Africa. Outside of the AU which doesn’t do anything I’m not sure there is any real geopolitical usage of Africa as a whole, much like Asia and much unlike South America or Europe. Morocco has way more in common with Lebanon and Greece than it does with Senegal or Guinea. Which is kind of surprising since you’d think the coast would be almost good to follow as the Nile, but apparently not. Even during their slaving centuries the Moroccans used caravans through the desert instead of boats along the coast, probably for some obvious reason that escapes me.

For Libya and Algeria, much less surprising that they have more links to Greece and Turkey than they do to Chad or Niger!

I’m not like a boat guy but my understanding is Cape Bojador is treacherous because the currents and winds are poo poo, there is a lot of sandbanks and hazards close to the surface, and the coast is the Sahara. To round it effectively you have to turn far into the west and then turn back, where fair winds and currents carry you to the lush Gulf of Guinea where you could resupply on provisions. and sailors before satellites weren’t super keen on attempting what looked like a one way trip into drawing lots on who gets eaten first

BonHair posted:

Yeah, but geopolitically, it has a lot more coherence is my point. Not total, but more than Africa. I guess I'm mostly just complaining that Sub Saharan Africa is not elegant. I think the proper Roman solution would be calling it Transsahara, but that's literally Eurocentric nonsense.

Eh, navigational names are always going to be dependent on who you are talking to. When my best friend flew out to visit and snapped « first transatlantic flight » at the Berlin airport I was t offended like « wtf this is clearly the cisatlantic »

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 17, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Transatlantic flights are all flights going across the Atlantic in my understanding though.
I also think names like Transylvania and Transnistria are weird, since you're basically saying "this place is the wrong side of the forest/river".

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

BonHair posted:

Transatlantic flights are all flights going across the Atlantic in my understanding though.
I also think names like Transylvania and Transnistria are weird, since you're basically saying "this place is the wrong side of the forest/river".

I don't think it's a value judgement, just a reference from a specific place. Transalpine Gaul was Gaul across the alps from the place that named it Transalpine Gaul.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Judgy Fucker posted:

I don't think it's a value judgement, just a reference from a specific place. Transalpine Gaul was Gaul across the alps from the place that named it Transalpine Gaul.

That’s a pretty good example (also post/username combo lol) bc obviously the classical romans weren’t keen on the cisalpine gauls any more than the transalpine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

call me cisalpine one more time and i swear to god i'll cross that rubicon

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Saladman posted:

Geopolitically it’s either sub-Saharan Africa or the MENA region - Middle East and North Africa. Outside of the AU which doesn’t do anything I’m not sure there is any real geopolitical usage of Africa as a whole, much like Asia and much unlike South America or Europe. Morocco has way more in common with Lebanon and Greece than it does with Senegal or Guinea. Which is kind of surprising since you’d think the coast would be almost good to follow as the Nile, but apparently not. Even during their slaving centuries the Moroccans used caravans through the desert instead of boats along the coast, probably for some obvious reason that escapes me.

For Libya and Algeria, much less surprising that they have more links to Greece and Turkey than they do to Chad or Niger!

As I recall the prevailing winds in the region make it so that while you can go south fine it’s basically impossible to return home with pre-Henry the navigator sailing tech.

Unless you’re Phoenician

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That’s a pretty good example (also post/username combo lol) bc obviously the classical romans weren’t keen on the cisalpine gauls any more than the transalpine
Makes me wonder why the apartheid emeralds man is so mad about 'cis', you'd think he'd consider it, uh, separate but equal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1687806911306231808

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Russian mountains is just what Romance languages caller rollercoaster rides because they were apparently based around manmade sled rides in at Petersburg. Rollercoaster l has basically the same metaphorical meaning in English.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Russian mountains is just what Romance languages caller rollercoaster rides because they were apparently based around manmade sled rides in at Petersburg. Rollercoaster l has basically the same metaphorical meaning in English.

Russian, of course, calls them American mountains.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I don't really understand how the Italian one would work.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

english had to wait for centuries to get 'milkshake duck' and the french had a good phrase for it this whole time

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Pleasantly surprised that the phrase about scottish showers is about weather and not hygiene

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

EasilyConfused posted:

I don't really understand how the Italian one would work.

well wikipedia didnt quite explain it either:

quote:

Incest is illegal in Italy only if it provokes public scandal, according to Article 564 of the Penal code and punishable from two to eight years' imprisonment, open to more years for the older person if the other was under aged.[88] For incest to be a “public scandal” the incest must be done in a blatant manner. The fact that someone reports incest to the authorities does not by itself make it a public scandal.[89]

and that second footnote is "See post by Dag Robertson to Kindred Spirits (forum) of 3 Aug. 2020 [1]" uhhh no thx

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Is there a german word for suddenly having a lot of questions that I don't actually want answers to?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I imagine the "legal for same-sex siblings" countries are a side effect of legislation that was written with overly-specific wording.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Possibly also a result of considering the medical consequences of consanguinity being the basis of anti-incest laws, rather than the simple ick factor.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Angepain posted:

Pleasantly surprised that the phrase about scottish showers is about weather and not hygiene

Wool really holds the odors

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

As a German, I don't understand why they have to call us out like that. Very rude!

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Kenning posted:

Possibly also a result of considering the medical consequences of consanguinity being the basis of anti-incest laws, rather than the simple ick factor.
Could be that the incest law was written back when homosexuality was still outlawed. So the incest law just covered the case of heterosexual siblings and wasn't updated to cover _all_ siblings.

Now I want to see a political discussion about rewriting a law because it's currently allowing homosexual couples, this could be fun.

Torrannor posted:

As a German, I don't understand why they have to call us out like that. Very rude!
Nah, makes sense.
Just think about how often you have to repeat something to the french while speaking slowly and loudly.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 18, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Someone needs to stop this kid.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Nah, different kids.
Same shot person, though.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Sadly, in Japan incest is simply fully legal. It’s a shame the Axis powers couldn’t align more clearly on their weird legal incest laws.

A cursory glance at the Wikipedia article on this subject did reveal, however, that Guyana and a string of Caribbean countries have made incest legal for hetero couples but illegal for homosexual couples, though…

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tired: knowing global age of consent laws
Wired: knowing global incest laws

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

I blame GoT for that one.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kenning posted:

There's an interesting discussion to be had about incest when we as a society manage to separate sex and reproduction conceptually. But yeah, no one is gonna touch that with a 100 foot pole, for good reason

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Machineries of Empire trilogy by Yoon Ha Lee takes that issue as a given, and I think handles it pretty well as a piece of far-future sci-fi. As it stands though, I think attempts to define legitimate and illegitimate sexual relations on the basis of some solid material basis are sorta wrong-headed. Consanguinity and pregnancy clearly isn't the issue with incest, since we think same-sex incest is also bad. Consent isn't the issue with bestiality, since we kill and eat animals without their consent. The issue seems to be "grossness" or "generalized ick", and frankly I consider that to be an acceptable criterion, since gross, and also, ick.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Guy I know once tried to convince me incest should be legal as long as there aren't any children, but even if so there's still got to be some kind of weird dynamic if they grew up together, same as with step siblings even if there's no consanguinity weirdness there.

But there was a German married couple in the news idk 20 years ago, who after they had several kids found out that they were actually siblings who had never met, both being adopted to different sets of parents. I think the govt wanted to annull their marriage at the time, but not sure where they're at now. And tbh I kinda think if they didn't even know it, and their kids are already born, what's the harm of letting them go on? Damage's already done.

Now to think about something else for a good while

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

Sadly, in Japan incest is simply fully legal. It’s a shame the Axis powers couldn’t align more clearly on their weird legal incest laws.

A cursory glance at the Wikipedia article on this subject did reveal, however, that Guyana and a string of Caribbean countries have made incest legal for hetero couples but illegal for homosexual couples, though…

Tbf same sex relationships don't provoke the negative results of incest, inbred children. It's just weird, and weird should be acceptable.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Tbf same sex relationships don't provoke the negative results of incest, inbred children. It's just weird, and weird should be acceptable.

This thread needs to move on before someone else tells us which types of incest are acceptable to them.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Zesty posted:

This thread needs to move on before someone else tells us which types of incest are acceptable to them.

What’s the "it’s not pedophilia it’s Hebephilia" catch phrase for the pro-incest team?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Britain and Scandinavia: incest is illegal

Also Britain and Scandinavia: has monarchs

Curious

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

What are you doing, steppe bro?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Curious

Actually ours have been marrying outside the family for, oh, two generations now.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Groke posted:

Actually ours have been marrying outside the family for, oh, two generations now.

you have to be careful though, recently one of ours tried marrying too far outside the family and it made a lot of people very angry

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BonHair posted:

Probably not as much as is often imagined, the Middle East is also a large and often rather poorly defined region. It seems like a coherent one more for outsiders wanting to group a bunch of countries in a way without saying "the Islamic World" and also being able to exclude large parts of Africa and Asia.

It's also a historically rather recent term, with a geo-strategic origin IIRC as it was originally introduced to designate the region between the "Near East" (which is an older term and basically the same as modern day minimal definitions of "Middle East") and the "Far East" and India, basically Iran and Afghanistan I think. "Middle East" coming to sort of assume the same meaning of "Near East" happened during and after WW1 I think, though at the time, countries like Greece in Europe were often also included in the term.

Also, moving away from the Middle East, but I'm not sure a continent requires geopolitical coherence, would you say Asia is a lot more coherent and unitary than Africa is? No one seems to dispute that as a continent. Though of course the truth is that in terms of actual continents and landmasses, neither Europe nor Asia are separate continents.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 18, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Curious

between siblings

can't go full habsburg

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cousin marriage map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Saladman posted:

What’s the "it’s not pedophilia it’s Hebephilia" catch phrase for the pro-incest team?

idk but they probably have a lot to say about it on that ~Kindred Spirits~ forum someone cited on wikipedia