Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

At birth every lalafell gets their shins blown off by a Tojo's machine gun.

"I killed fiddy Hyur."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flatluigi posted:

wow if this is what the thread turns into when TLD isn't trolling and all their friends get upset at the accusation i'd hate to see what would've happened if they were

yeah, totally weird that people don't think its kosher to make nazi accusations towards someone saying "i dislike the baby child characters in this video game"

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I have seen another dozen reports and been informed that this Lalafell / Nazi discourse has hit the hallowed halls of SAD, and I am thus forced to post in a catgirl dressup game thread again.

I personally have found the last few pages pretty funny after catching up, but I get why thread regulars might be mad about a new crew coming in and harshing the vibe (do ppl still say this) of what's usually a very chill thread.

In general, I'd ask people to stop accusing other posters of being Nazis or pedophiles and just go back to being mad about ARR or sprouts or whatever.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't play any more, but here's my paladin

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is there a MSQ requirement access the Isgard restoration / Diadem thing for crafters and gatherers. I'm in HW but not sure how to access it. I just entered Dravania in MSQ

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ishgard Restoration doesn't happen until post-patch HW, sadly. You can pop in I think after 3.3?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah ishgard resto is a post heavensward thing plot-wise, theres a quest to unlock it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Alright, I'm probably gonna level them casually anyway because I see no point in waiting because I'm still very early into HW.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
got my WAR 50 and went from random Vigil bullshit hanging off my shambling body to ironworks and a bunch of chest gear. going from ilvl 40something to 103. And now i beat the living poo poo out of things, wow. this just got kinda fun

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Alright, I'm probably gonna level them casually anyway because I see no point in waiting because I'm still very early into HW.

Crafting and gathering in the restoration requires you to be level 20+ anyway, IIRC, so there's nothing wrong with at least getting your classes started, even if you do want to wait.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jonny 290 posted:

speaking of healing i'm wondering if a fun prank is to run 4x WAR party for dungeons. I suspect it can work all right at least in some?

The apparently official small unit composition for the Nymian Marines was three WAR and a Scholar, according to the party you get for the level 60 Scholar solo duty. I've been tempted to throw up a PF for that comp and run a few things.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

GloomMouse posted:

They could reuse the cut "How very glib" line

I'm sorry, "Cut"? There's more of them?

Hellioning posted:

Lalas are cute. It is fun to put them in heavy armor.

I mean "Funny image of Tiny person with Guts' sword" was my goal for DRK and then I played DRK's storyline.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 18, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm sorry, "Cut"? There's more of them?

The rest of the line is there, but "How Very Glib" was cut from Praetorium. He doesn't say it anymore - they finally decided that a silent eyebrow-raise isn't enough to provoke that response from Gaius.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

yes arr stinks and dont forget that everyone is dressed like an ugly clown too

or wearing a weird sackcloth

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ARR Y'shtola is wearing one of those fuzzy skirts people put around the base of Christmas trees.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I did skip most of the last couple of pages because I couldn't be bothered but as possibly the biggest Shadowbringers stan on the forums I've complained about just about everything TLD has, just phrased more politely because that is how I choose to express myself.

That said, this is the place for new players to get advice (because other ffxiv threads tend to casually throw spoilers around) and there's really not a lot to room for that when people decide to go full knives out

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The horror that comes with the dawning realization that the Warrior of Light actually likes helping people even if it means doing menial tasks for them. This becomes established as an actual part of their personality.

Yes, the WoL actually gets a somewhat defined personality, based on how some quests characterize them and what dialogue choices become available to them, and this development has been divisive among people who dislike that "the WoL as a character" and "their personal RP character" are not necessarily the same.

I don't consider this a spoiler. It's a warning.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The greatest crime is not having "..." as an option in every dialogue choice.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's unlocked by the squall cash shop outfit

(Not really)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
3 Hours of Handing out uniforms and talking about a conspiracy of spies within the ranks of Ul'Dah.... 0 fights. The entire world exists to fight things, tons of interesting looking monsters. I fight none of them in the MSQ for ARR because there is no point, because I'm already 6 levels above where I should be. Why even have any monsters in the field at all?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
It would be less of a hassle and change nothing to have a "Press play" button and have my character go on autopilot walking and teleporting back and forth to talk to these people and get the story, like a movie, so I could sit back with a drink and just watch it, because it has 0 input from me for.... hours now

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yeah it sucks. so much of the world might as well not even exist because you have zero impetus to interact with it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

You gotta kill those for an Ixtal tribe quest!

This does however require a few days of grinding before you unlock said quest. And you only need to get one item from it, so it could just be one fight before you leave.

But!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Shinjobi posted:

You gotta kill those for an Ixtal tribe quest!

This does however require a few days of grinding before you unlock said quest. And you only need to get one item from it, so it could just be one fight before you leave.

But!

Oh good, lol.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

FFXIV in general puts very little emphasis on fighting mobs in the open world--for the most part I've found I only really end up fighting them when either (a) they're around the same level as me and aggro when I get too close or (b) I need their drops for crafting. Most combat activities in the game instead center around instanced combat, be they trials, dungeons, or raids. That said there are two pieces of expansion content, Eureka and Bozja, that give something much closer to the old-school MMORPG open world design if you need something like that to look forward to.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

That Little Demon posted:

, because I'm already 6 levels above where I should be.

Dunno if it's been mentioned while you've been aggro posting the thread, but msq will vastly over level you even if you only do msq quests and nothing else, to the point that it is quite easy to level an entirely second job while going through the msq. If you do roulettes every so often, you'll catch a new job up to current in no time.

The long story is that arr is 8-9 (??) years old and it was a very different game.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

quiggy posted:

FFXIV in general puts very little emphasis on fighting mobs in the open world--for the most part I've found I only really end up fighting them when either (a) they're around the same level as me and aggro when I get too close or (b) I need their drops for crafting. Most combat activities in the game instead center around instanced combat, be they trials, dungeons, or raids. That said there are two pieces of expansion content, Eureka and Bozja, that give something much closer to the old-school MMORPG open world design if you need something like that to look forward to.

It is not something I need per se, I just find it funny that it even exists at all except as eye candy when flying quickly overhead of it in a "oh look, that monster from final fantasy" kind of way. This game seems like it wants to have its cake and eat it too and comes up short (at least in the terms of the base game here before any expansion). These zones have no point, the urgency of the questline is meaningless with these quick teleports, and because of the nature of it being an MMO - Time is meaningless. Why do I need permission from Minfilia to go see some idiot in Ishgard? She is worried Primals may come back is the excuse given, which, again... so what? I can just teleport back and handle it because that exists in this world along with being able to communicate with anyone, anywhere in the world, at any time, using a special AirPod lmfao. The game constantly negates its own premise with its writing and it feels like a hastily put together mess, which, I guess it was after the disaster of it's launch?

I'm reminded of how you are supposed to know who Louisoux was, when they mentioned him for a brief second 100 hours ago, and then I did coils and build all this up with the twins and him to make you feel something but to me, a new player, I don't give a single gently caress about this old dude or whatever he did lol. The raid itself was more interesting learning about who built the moon and the story behind Bahamat, ect.

The Crystal Tower was at the very least, self contained and interesting throughout. Hildibrands many, many quests as well.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

DelphiAegis posted:

Dunno if it's been mentioned while you've been aggro posting the thread, but msq will vastly over level you even if you only do msq quests and nothing else, to the point that it is quite easy to level an entirely second job while going through the msq. If you do roulettes every so often, you'll catch a new job up to current in no time.

The long story is that arr is 8-9 (??) years old and it was a very different game.

Thats nice but it would seem that leveling in this game is an afterthought and easy enough to get through quickly. They have so little faith in the leveling process that its given multiple bonuses or you can buy a skip for classes lol.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I'm reminded of how you are supposed to know who Louisoux was, when they mentioned him for a brief second 100 hours ago, and then I did coils and build all this up with the twins and him to make you feel something but to me, a new player, I don't give a single gently caress about this old dude or whatever he did lol. The raid itself was more interesting learning about who built the moon and the story behind Bahamat, ect.

this is 100% a clunky remnant of 1.0. Could be wrong since it's been over a decade since I messed with it, but I'm pretty sure you could like....actually interact with Louisoux and stuff before the big reboot happened. For new players, or someone who started at ARR, yeah--all you have are a couple of cool cutscenes and everyone just talking about this super cool and smart and powerful old man who didn't take poo poo from anyone. Just take our word for it.

He becomes a less prominent point of conversation after you get out of ARR, thankfully. Just knowing who he is should be enough for any future conversations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Shinjobi posted:

this is 100% a clunky remnant of 1.0. Could be wrong since it's been over a decade since I messed with it, but I'm pretty sure you could like....actually interact with Louisoux and stuff before the big reboot happened. For new players, or someone who started at ARR, yeah--all you have are a couple of cool cutscenes and everyone just talking about this super cool and smart and powerful old man who didn't take poo poo from anyone. Just take our word for it.

He becomes a less prominent point of conversation after you get out of ARR, thankfully. Just knowing who he is should be enough for any future conversations.

yeah I think someone here told me they streamlined this content which made me laugh thinking about what streamlining could have happened.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

yeah I think someone here told me they streamlined this content which made me laugh thinking about what streamlining could have happened.
There were a lot of pointless fetch quests, like getting tea for Tataru.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They cut dozens of quests from the chores you're doing now, lol.

They get better about using the space in zones but there's definitely a divide in FF14 where they're making the game everybody likes and then doing old MMO things out of tradition. I pass by a lot of space I think looks cool but doesn't get used in the MSQ. A lot of monsters do get some life breathed into them by crafting, you kill morbols in later expacs for their tentacle drops.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also you do fight morbols in aurum vale at least

in general most of the monster designs get used in dungeons or whatever, theyre just sort of scattered around the world also for the sake of crafting drops and to make it feel less empty. but yeah, it isnt really like classic WoW where that stuff existing had a point.

in general the term 'theme park MMO' gets used and i dont think that just means 'its a linear story with predestined cutscenes you do in an exact order,' but like, the approach to gameplay and top-down philosophy. the morbols wandering around the world are like random skeleton number 7 on pirates of the caribbean at disney, theyre there for some flavor. you cant really interact with random skeleton number 7.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Louisoux was only in the patch quests for the original FFXIV, so was Nael, the other big character in Coils. So were all the alliance leaders.

Basically, other than the Scions, almost every major character who was supposedly around for 1.0, wasn't actually in 1.0. They were introduced in the patches leading up to the game getting shut down and rebooted, after YoshiP had taken over and was setting the stage for ARR.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Endorph posted:

also you do fight morbols in aurum vale at least

in general most of the monster designs get used in dungeons or whatever, theyre just sort of scattered around the world also for the sake of crafting drops and to make it feel less empty. but yeah, it isnt really like classic WoW where that stuff existing had a point.

in general the term 'theme park MMO' gets used and i dont think that just means 'its a linear story with predestined cutscenes you do in an exact order,' but like, the approach to gameplay and top-down philosophy. the morbols wandering around the world are like random skeleton number 7 on pirates of the caribbean at disney, theyre there for some flavor. you cant really interact with random skeleton number 7.

my experience in dungeons is a tank asking me if I know how to heal, and I say yes because I've been healing in MMOs since 99, and them pulling every mob in the dungeon so I don't even see anything except bright colors and explosions lol. I know you can do them with NPCs but that feels like... why am I playing an MMO? you know?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Have you experimented with the option to adjust how many spell graphics you see from other players? I've had that turned off since about week two.

FF14 pace is that if the tank and healer are savvy then pulling the entire dungeon is doable. Most later dungeon design sets things up so that you pull until a wall that opens when the last pack is dead. To try to keep the playerbase from devouring itself over dungeon etiquette they refined that to twoish packs per wall.

The playerbase still devours itself over how severe a crime it is for the healer to hardcard a GCD heal or a tank to not strap rockets to their boots and pull to the wall at every second of the day. The answer? Do what you want and communicate it to the group, especially if you're new to the content or role.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

im sure youre tired of hearing 'later...' but later stuff does a better job leaning into that aspect, dungeon-design wise. like you're gated off to only pulling two packs of mobs at a time, some minor thing happens in the dungeon, you progress on and pull two more packs, boss, repeat.

mostly later stuff doesnt like, magically change the fundamental structure of the game id say its more like it just becomes confident in what it is. instead of trying to shoehorn in awkward gimmicks to the dungeons they just embrace the fact its a theme park ride and have more spectacle in the backgrounds, make it go at a steady pace instead of one guy being able to pull every single mob in the dungeon so you can actually experience it a bit (and therefore making the mobs a little tankier and giving them actual attacks you can see and have to dodge, even if its easy to) etc.

applies to the writing too, they do a better job accommodating the fact that the player can be anywhere in 5 seconds, less of the running around bureaucracy. its still a pretty obvious narrative structure - you've arrived here, there is this problem, lets solve it, yay we can move on - but for the most part its stuff that is engaging enough and makes sense to be a stopgap rather than having you run around for an hour doing literally nothing.

structurally the game doesnt change really it just does a better job accommodating that structure. i like the theme park design but outside of bozja or eureka (two optional zones youll unlock a lot later that are intentionally trying to ape ff11's design) you aren't really getting away from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A little while back someone asked about leveling crafters, and one HUGE thing is to make sure you're doing your daily grand company supply and provisioning turn ins. You can press ctrl+u to bring up your timers menu and then click on your GC to see what today's deliveries are. They reset daily at 4pm est. At low levels, a high quality starred turn in will get you multiple levels. Often times the turn in item is available on the marketboard, and you can actually turn the seals you generate into more gil than you spend on the item.

You can level all of your crafters to max level from nothing in 4 months or so just by logging in daily, buying your turn in items, and turning them in.

Beyond that, check out levequests at your current level. You probably have 99 leve allowances stacked. You can just buy these items off the mb and vendors and turn them in for quick experience.