Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
2008 sales numbers

https://www.cars.com/articles/the-top-10-best-selling-cars-of-2008-1420663260342/

Within the top ten automobiles sold in the US in 2008:
Trukks sold 1,226,418 units

Smaller, fuel-efficient automobiles sold 1,962,821 units

we live in a perverse and historically weird period wrt automobile sales in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ah, the rare too many e-bikes x overly succesful commuter rail service crossover.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I think the increased reliability/lifespan of practical cars has kind of compounded the effect of frequent new car buyers being bad people, resulting in bad new car(truck) models. Kind of a victim of their own success. I'm another decade plus fit owner with no real plans for something new because it seems likely to run for a while longer, but decades ago that might not be possible and I'd have to buy another practical car by now. And since the new cars being made mostly suck for what I want, I'm even more likely to hold on to what I have already forever, etc.

Plus I might die when a giant pickup truck obliterates me and my fit, further reducing the chances I buy a new car

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I drive a 98 camry that still has less than 100,000 miles on it. I'm the third owner.

I have no idea what I'm going to do when this thing finally eventually craps out.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
isn’t the average price paid for a new car in the US close to $50k now? I don’t understand how people afford multiple newer cars…

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Are cats eye markers mirrors ?

mystes
May 31, 2006

If they aren't removing bike lanes but just removing bollards how does that affect traffic in any way? They want cars to drive in the bike lanes?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

If they aren't removing bike lanes but just removing bollards how does that affect traffic in any way? They want cars to drive in the bike lanes?

Lol yes

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

mawarannahr posted:

Are cats eye markers mirrors ?

Might make your car judder a little as you drive over them, look out!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nettle Soup posted:

Might make your car judder a little as you drive over them, look out!

lol it's even more useless than I thought (corner mirrors)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bus flew into the sea in Eminönü, İstanbul (pictured: Galata tower)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Surely it drove there

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

mawarannahr posted:

bus flew into the sea in Eminönü, İstanbul (pictured: Galata tower)

You'd think Istanbul would know better than anybody the danger of letting foreign vehicles into the river.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rochallor posted:

You'd think Istanbul would know better than anybody the danger of letting foreign vehicles into the river.

That's their business

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
From the Musk thread

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Most drivers aren't even aware of the concept of not changing lanes mid-turn so have two turn lanes isn't even safe for cars

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
there shouldn't be right on red, at all, anywhere

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

there shouldn't be right on red, at all, anywhere

:hai:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

who was the first to enshrine right on red anyway ?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

new jersey

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it looks like those two lanes *have to* turn right there so it would be relatively easy to fix the intersection if they had the will to do anything beyond painting lines in the street

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Martian posted:

From the Musk thread

"Won't someone solve this problem that I helped create and continue to perpetuate in a manner that doesn't require me to change my behavior in the slightest?"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
almost got hit by a car cutting across my bow while turning onto a side street without signalling. well thanks for reading :thumbsup: (Clybourn and Cleveland in Cabrini Green for anyone wondering)

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 04:15 on Aug 18, 2023

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Peanut President posted:

(Clybourn and Cleveland in Cabrini Green for anyone wondering)

where the gently caress is that. like where even are you, dude. cly"bourn"? cabrini green? gently caress are you talking about. first one sounds like a british town near the thames or something, second one sounds like a leafy vegetable that's indistinguishable from arugula. cleveland is the only word there that makes sense

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chicago

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

where the gently caress is that. like where even are you, dude. cly"bourn"? cabrini green? gently caress are you talking about. first one sounds like a british town near the thames or something, second one sounds like a leafy vegetable that's indistinguishable from arugula. cleveland is the only word there that makes sense
:discourse:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

crosswalks and sidewalks should not exist. motor vehicles can exist*, but only on a network of roads which intersect the network of pedestrian streets at as few points as possible, and never at level grade.

*: busses, ambulances, trucking, etc

im going to post itt every time i see a car running a red light almost hit someone in a crosswalk. today that someone was me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cabrini Green is where “Candyman” happened.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The massacre at cabrini green

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

City's just installed some big fuckoff speed bumps on our street and I'm positively giddy. The concept of curb extensions (really, removing curb cuts) is foreign to the city planners here so this is the next best thing. Watching cars having to actually slow down instead of trying to take as much of a racing line as they can at every intersection never gets old.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

evil_bunnY posted:

City's just installed some big fuckoff speed bumps on our street and I'm positively giddy. The concept of curb extensions (really, removing curb cuts) is foreign to the city planners here so this is the next best thing. Watching cars having to actually slow down instead of trying to take as much of a racing line as they can at every intersection never gets old.
Write your local news, council person, Department of Transit, and mayor immediately voicing your unreserved support for the change, because you can bet they're being hammered with drivers absolutely apoplectic at their not being able to speed and demanding removal.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

mystes posted:

It's amazing how literally all of the inexpensive compact hatchbacks have been killed in the past few years

we have 2 hatchbacks(mazda 3/Impreza) and gonna drive them into the ground.

would repealing the light truck import tax even make a dent now? or is it more of an CAFE thing?

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 13:36 on Aug 18, 2023

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

don't blame me, blame the colonizers

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
here let me rephrase: I almost got hit by a car at the corner of Hot Dog St and Deep Dish Pizza Ave in Ditka-town

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Peanut President posted:

here let me rephrase: I almost got hit by a car at the corner of Hot Dog St and Deep Dish Pizza Ave in Ditka-town

Mike Ditka is actually from Pittsburgh

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Peanut President posted:

ahouldve taken italian beef lane and gotten off at polish before it meets the loop

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Peanut President posted:

This is genuinely more helpful

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Peanut President posted:

ohhhhhh, why didn't you say so? that makes a lot more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

Write your local news, council person, Department of Transit, and mayor immediately voicing your unreserved support for the change, because you can bet they're being hammered with drivers absolutely apoplectic at their not being able to speed and demanding removal.
way ahead of you, I've already written to the city :D