Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Clouseau posted:

Chicago has a worldwide crime reputation mostly because of the mob history, but even ignoring that it was called Beirut on the lake when I think Harold Washington was mayor.

I do think that Obama's election jumpstarted the latest run of it.

It was called Beirut on the lake because of the political conflict between the mayor and the council, not because of crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Chicago being the murder capital of the world or whatever is one of those kind of thoughts that gel in people's brains like music or game genre preference or the "fact" that the world is ruled by a secret cabal of Jewish people or something stupid like that. Once it's in somebody's skull past the age of 25 or so, it's in there for life barring extreme reevaluation.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Badger of Basra posted:

It was called Beirut on the lake because of the political conflict between the mayor and the council, not because of crime

Duh, council wars.

Remembering now that a couple pundits tried to start saying Council Wars 2 because Lightfoot narrowly won a few votes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Governorchat is reminding me how Rod Blagojevich put his name on the big signs over the new I-Pass lanes on 355, basically taking the credit for removing the tollbooth traffic jams. And when he got kicked out of office in 2009, those signs got replaced that very day. :newlol:

Jows
May 8, 2002

His and Daley's names are still on the Illinois International Port's silos

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What ever happened with the free school lunch for everyone bill? It passed both houses in May, latest news is that it was sitting with Pritzker to sign it, but I can't find anything recent.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Powered Descent posted:

Governorchat is reminding me how Rod Blagojevich put his name on the big signs over the new I-Pass lanes on 355, basically taking the credit for removing the tollbooth traffic jams. And when he got kicked out of office in 2009, those signs got replaced that very day. :newlol:

those trucks were staged and ready to roll the minute the impeachment vote was final

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jows posted:

His and Daley's names are still on the Illinois International Port's silos

Daley's name is on an alley a couple blocks from my place. It is wild seeing how many things he made sure his name was on that would survive.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Got this in my water bill today: https://www.wheaton.il.us/StormwaterUtility

Anybody in Champaign, Downers Grove, Highland Park, Libertyville, Western Springs, Wilmette, or Winnetka or wherever might have implemented this have any thoughts on it? One of those "my example looks like it'll be cheaper!" but who knows in all reality.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Deathlove posted:

Anybody in Champaign, Downers Grove, Highland Park, Libertyville, Western Springs, Wilmette, or Winnetka or wherever might have implemented this have any thoughts on it? One of those "my example looks like it'll be cheaper!" but who knows in all reality.

I'm in one of those, and honestly I haven't noticed whether there's a difference in my bimonthly bill or not (although from not particularly noticing, I suppose that probably means it mostly averaged out). I also like the concept fine on its own, so favor it even if there is a bit of added cost for me.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Clouseau posted:

Duh, council wars.

Remembering now that a couple pundits tried to start saying Council Wars 2 because Lightfoot narrowly won a few votes.

For the way the council is structured/operates, it's laughable how many votes she lost. A war would've required Lori to have had a cohesive base of political support, though.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

brugroffil posted:

What ever happened with the free school lunch for everyone bill? It passed both houses in May, latest news is that it was sitting with Pritzker to sign it, but I can't find anything recent.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=2471&GAID=17&DocTypeID=HB&SessionID=112&GA=103

Became law a week ago. I hadn't heard of this, I'll need to see how it's implemented or when it starts. It says effective immediately but our school district has said nothing about it, so I'm guessing theres some deviled eggs in the details

Edit: looks like school districts have to voluntarily join the program

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 18, 2023

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Time to start yelling at my school district! Thanks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

brugroffil posted:

Time to start yelling at my school district! Thanks

:smug: um actually that's no such thing as a free lunch

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Deathlove posted:

I had my bill on auto pay, so I hadn’t opened my city sewer bill this month yet. But looking through that website, it looks like the average house should pay about the same in storm sere usage. I looked at my current bill ($7.50) and compared to the residential example ($5.94). So even if my long driveway ends up driving up the first portion a bit, it might add another $1 a month. And I am in a home with kids who are not the best about shutting off the water.

Now if you live in a place with a full pool/patio for a backyard, it still might go up a little, but what’s an extra $1-$2 in the grand scheme of things. It’s the businesses that are going to get hit harder. They are going to go from the low $10-$20 a month to $150ish. But unless the business is on the razor edge of collapse, is $100 a month extra going to actually cause them to close? I know they are all going to whine like it will, but probably not.

And like many things, if they don’t do something like this, they will just raise the current rate in some way to make up the shortfall.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1693791216708554909

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Well reading is... for liberals and Chicagoans? I guess?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well reading is... for liberals and Chicagoans? I guess?

Probably more anti-trans stuff from the usual suspects.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well books are... for liberals and Chicagoans? I guess?

corrected:
The rest of the state is only allowed to work on papyrus and clay slates obviously, in the republican mindset. Gotta bring America back to the 1860s. BCE, that is.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Not passing out from the heat is a liberal thing too. High school baseball games were sometimes cancelled from the gross heat this weak. I heard more than once it was the liberals’ fault that the kids weren’t playing in the 115 heat index.

Oh to live in a small chud town

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/japantimes/status/1694584894695886948

Praying in support of Radiation for the first time in my life.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We need more nuclear so I hope it's not the radiation that gets him.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Who knows, maybe some ties to the Unification Church might get revealed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
In true American decidence it will be a zipgundam

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Illinois House “Freedom” Caucus (batshit reps from here in southern Illinois) is hosting a fundraiser in Effingham with convicted felon, conspiracy theorist and pretend historian Dinesh D’Souza.

Tickets to his talk is $30
VIP Tickets are $100 and you get your photo with him.
Private Donor tickets are $1000 (or $1500 for a couple) and you get to eat some lovely conference center food with Dinesh and the legislators BUT HURRY NOW BECAUSE THERE ARE ONLY 20 SEATS AVAILABLE!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Aren't they worried having convicted criminal Dinesh D'Souza near by will lower property values?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I don't think I could even consider to go to something like that if they paid me $1,000

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
D'souza's shittiness causes people to overlook how loving weird he is. Like he said a guy voted for Hilary because she bought him a stake dinner.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Illinois House “Freedom” Caucus (batshit reps from here in southern Illinois) is hosting a fundraiser in Effingham with convicted felon, conspiracy theorist and pretend historian Dinesh D’Souza.

I had a brain fart and thought, "well who are the other two besides Dinesh?" :downs:

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I have no idea who he is and I don't want to know.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
He's one of the older conservative pseudo-intellectual grifters. A trash human being but a big name for loving Effingham.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Neat
https://twitter.com/GovPritzker/status/1700234918146515154

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Hopefully it's not a Foxconn-style rug pull, though. I do think JB's not dumb, like Scott Walker, which is helpful.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Foxconn basically felt like they were dead in the water immediately. I too hope this isn't the same.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There are zero details in that tweet. Did Illinois even provide them any tax breaks?

The Foxconn deal in WI was also supposed to bring in 13,000 jobs, so this is a lot smaller in scope in comparison.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Where is this and whose water are they polluting?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I read Manteno, so the Kankakee River.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

There are zero details in that tweet. Did Illinois even provide them any tax breaks?

The Foxconn deal in WI was also supposed to bring in 13,000 jobs, so this is a lot smaller in scope in comparison.

Local tax breaks over something like a 30 year period. And state incentives if they bring in a certain number of jobs. I found some articles that mentioned the incentives. They seemed much more reasonable and spread out over time, compared to the FoxConn “gives us mostly everything, including the land up front” deal.

But the articles were high level views. Plenty of time for crazy details to be revealed. Or something dumb like this being based on obsolete tech to hit the news.

/edit:

https://electrek.co/2023/09/08/gotion-bringing-2-billion-ev-battery-gigafactory-to-illinois-jobs/

quote:

Gotion’s decision to call The Land of Lincoln its new home was hardened by Pritzker and the state’s REV (Reimagining Energy and Vehicles) Illinois incentive package, plus a new fun called “Invest in Illinois.” Pritzker has been publicly courting prospective OEMs in the EV sector to come to Illinois and Gotion is now the first to take advantage of Invest in Illinois – which will provide the EV battery developer with $125 million in capital.

The state shared that Gotion’s entire incentive package is valued at $536 million and includes eligibility to receive $213 million in tax benefits over the next 30 years through REV. To qualify, Gotion must invest a minimum of $1.9 million and create at least 2,600 full-time jobs that pay at least 120% of the average wage for similar positions in Manteno’s Kankakee County.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 10, 2023

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

*Edited to not confuse people.*

Dammit, a local restaurant that I love eating at is having a meet and greet with Darren Bailey. Also, my daughter’s teacher shared the announcement ON HER PERSONAL FACEBOOK and said how great it is that he is running. Just bummed to see a nice teacher be able to support him.

Also, Trump junior is coming to the Effingham area so things are going great in Southern Illinois.

Darren Bailey only just runs for office, nothing else. If he loses to Bost, what does he run for next? Senate or just head straight for President?

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
That’s kinda bullshit of the teacher to do that.