Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Speaking of cheap smart TVs, I turned mine on the other day and got this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
So like I got a tj max card and after the first time i used it it was flagged and they expected me to call them and resolve the issue. Like I’m probably going to get 20 cash back on a good year that’s not worth anyone’s time.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i probably already posted about this itt but I think YouTube buried watch later even farther. it's like three clicks deep now. yet there are several other one click buttons I never use. gently caress off.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Also the add to queue button often gets buried behind the PIP player which prevents me from adding to the queue.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's extremely irritating that airlines have figured out it's cheaper to just cancel flights that aren't full and pay the mandatory delay fees to the affected passengers than respect people's travel plans. I got delayed half a day a few weeks ago and the airline just etransferred my wife and I $400 each almost without question. They've clearly just factored that into the cost of tickets.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
You can fill an entire thread with all the ways in which air travel loving sucks.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I was at a gas station recently….Valero maybe? Not sure. They literally ONLY had self checkout. There was no way to have a person ring you up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

pencilhands posted:

I was at a gas station recently….Valero maybe? Not sure. They literally ONLY had self checkout. There was no way to have a person ring you up.

That's a lot Shopper's Drug Marts in Canada now. They typically have two employees outside the pharmacy. One person who stocks the shelves and does all the work and inexplicably another person at the cosmetics counter who just stands there. All the checkouts are self checkouts and there is no way to have a person ring you out.

Also our grocery store has installed not one but two automatic gates on the entrance to stop theft. Maybe just stop gouging people?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cosmetics person is probably there for shoplifting

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

euphronius posted:

Cosmetics person is probably there for shoplifting

If they are they're doing a terrible job

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

fishing with the fam posted:

You can fill an entire thread with all the ways in which air travel loving sucks.

Air travel sucks because no one will pay a price premium to fly on airlines that prioritize customer experience.

For decades, every time an airline has done something customer-hostile in order to reduce ticket price, the end result has been selling more tickets. When Virgin America or whoever tries to buck the trend and sell a premium experience, they go bankrupt instead.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cerekk posted:

Air travel sucks because no one will pay a price premium to fly on airlines that prioritize customer experience.

For decades, every time an airline has done something customer-hostile in order to reduce ticket price, the end result has been selling more tickets. When Virgin America or whoever tries to buck the trend and sell a premium experience, they go bankrupt instead.

It's those loving customers fault again!!!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Abolish air travel, except for medical transport.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Air travel should suck, and it doesn't suck nearly enough.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cerekk posted:

It's so great. On the return flight we checked in twelve hours before online and got put on the standby list. We thought that was weird so asked them when we got to the airport and we were told that, despite the fact we bought our tickets three months prior, we didn't actually have a guaranteed spot on the plane because we didn't pay $40 each to select our seats. I don't know if that's true but that's what they told us! We ended up getting on as literally the final two passengers after they'd seated everyone else and left us stuck in the departure lounge scrambling to find arrangements for our dog who was with a sitter. Cool industry.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was inspired by this thread and complained to the Customer Service then Manager at Superstore about how their cashiers no longer pack groceries following an incident my wife had.

The manager told me I was wrong and they were, that now they scan ALL the items before bagging, however customers start bagging items because they don’t want to hold up other customers.

I wasn’t happy and told her so. She said wasn’t receptive so I complained to corporate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s insane why would they do that

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My local store used to have baggers on every active checkout lane. Denver added a 10c/bag plastic charge and they immediately got rid of all their baggers. I think you can get a cashier to bag but lol everyone in line behind you will be pissed if you just stand there, since everyone before and after you just bags their own.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
There's a superior packing system known only to me keep your hands off my groceries I am a grown rear end adult I can pack them myself and the cashiers ways bruise my fruit.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
now you get to play the game of figuring out when to stop bagging and put your card in to optimize getting the gently caress out of that place asap

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

euphronius posted:

That’s insane why would they do that

I'm going to guess loss prevention

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AARD VARKMAN posted:

now you get to play the game of figuring out when to stop bagging and put your card in to optimize getting the gently caress out of that place asap

Put your card in? What fourth world hellscape do you live in? Tap your card when they've finished ringing you up, it takes 1.8 seconds.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Outrail posted:

Put your card in? What fourth world hellscape do you live in? Tap your card when they've finished ringing you up, it takes 1.8 seconds.

To be honest with you I have never even heard of this tech, my bank never advertised it to me and my most recent card (6 months) doesn't have it. Apparently I can request one. This is going to save me dozens of seconds a month

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Biplane posted:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just build more hospitals instead

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Self checkout loving blows for me because I can't reach the drat monitors plus put my items on the self checkout thing. Like I'm only a small member of the population but its a good example of how ableds love to make things lovely for disabled people sometimes.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Light Gun Man posted:

i probably already posted about this itt but I think YouTube buried watch later even farther. it's like three clicks deep now. yet there are several other one click buttons I never use. gently caress off.

YES, it used to always be at the top of your playlists and now it's sorted normally and I HATE IT :argh:

Black Noise posted:

Also the add to queue button often gets buried behind the PIP player which prevents me from adding to the queue.

The save/add to playlist button is now buried in the extra section randomly about half the time, and other times it's in the old spot. I don't understand why it changed at all and DEFINITELY don't understand why it randomly switches between the two. :argh:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

To be honest with you I have never even heard of this tech, my bank never advertised it to me and my most recent card (6 months) doesn't have it. Apparently I can request one. This is going to save me dozens of seconds a month

My bank's cards support contactless payment and I didn't know until a couple of months ago when I tried it on a whim. My bank mentions this feature nowhere and there's no indication of it on the card itself.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I am still baffled that in large parts of America you don't have tap to pay or etransfer and the server brings you the cheque and makes you do math to figure out a tip rather than bringing the credit card machine to your table. I was in Tennessee in 2018 and I instinctively tapped my credit card to the machine when going to pay for something and the person working the register looked at me like I was a complete simpleton and told me you have to swipe it like I'd never used a credit card before.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

After I did my loud rant a customer actually thanked me and I felt like the Albert Einstein meme

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Employees bagging your groceries has never made sense to me. It's one of those things that only exist in the US (maybe the UK?) and the rest of the world can live without it just fine, yet Americans make s huge deal out of it.

Same deal: having to return your shopping carts

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

steinrokkan posted:

Employees bagging your groceries has never made sense to me. It's one of those things that only exist in the US (maybe the UK?) and the rest of the world can live without it just fine, yet Americans make s huge deal out of it.

How often do you go to the store, out of curiosity?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

steinrokkan posted:

Same deal: having to return your shopping carts

People who don't put their carts back are as lovely here as they are anywhere, not sure what this has to do with country.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I go like twice a week, but that doesn't really matter because obviously different people have different shopping habits, and bagging simply isn't available for anyone anywhere, no matter how big of small their purchases are.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Same here. You get your reusable grocery totes or a cardboard box from the bin where the store puts all the empty boxes that the products come in, and you put that in your shopping trolley. Fill up the tote/box while scanning, take the trolley to your car, put boxes/totes in car.
Or, the same but with a backpack if you cycle to the shop.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

steinrokkan posted:

I go like twice a week, but that doesn't really matter because obviously different people have different shopping habits, and bagging simply isn't available for anyone anywhere, no matter how big of small their purchases are.

My point was more about the whole "have to drive a car miles to get anywhere" thing that I feel like pushes people in parts of the country here to make less frequent trips with more stuff. Bagging a huge grocery order yourself after years of not doing it is a perfectly fine example of something getting shittier because of Business.

just because your country was always lovely in some regard doesn't mean it doesn't belong here. This thread is all about minor inconveniences!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

LimaBiker posted:

Or, the same but with a backpack if you cycle to the shop.

Stores here have started putting up NO BACKPACKS ALLOWED signs. They have no problem at all with my messenger bag, so I think it's purely to gently caress with people rather than a performative loss prevention thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AARD VARKMAN posted:

My point was more about the whole "have to drive a car miles to get anywhere" thing that I feel like pushes people in parts of the country here to make less frequent trips with more stuff. Bagging a huge grocery order yourself after years of not doing it is a perfectly fine example of something getting shittier because of Business.

just because your country was always lovely in some regard doesn't mean it doesn't belong here. This thread is all about minor inconveniences!

And my point is it's not lovely, lol, it's the opposite.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

steinrokkan posted:

And my point is it's not lovely, lol, it's the opposite.

what you said was that people "can live without it just fine", and that it was strange to you, someone who apparently never had it in the first place.

The change happened entirely so that a business that's already hiking up prices purely for profit can stop paying a few minimum wage employees. It's lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Biplane posted:

Half of my kid's grandparents live in Japan and the other half live in the US, how will they go visit them?

ryde fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 18, 2023