Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

NeonPunk posted:

Remember when that scientist said that with the continuing evolution of the virus, we would see a major Omicron-like shift in the virus about every 3-5 years? Lmao

COVID is the only thing ahead of schedule in this economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
where is chise to tell us how mild this new variant is

jk please dont post chise

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Strep Vote posted:

COVID is the only thing ahead of schedule in this economy.

Ehh... still waiting for the variant that will take us out of the fun, easy-going, laid-back start of the pandemic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nexous posted:

where is chise to tell us how mild this new variant is

jk please dont post chise

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Does the new strain have a cool name yet? Garm? Garuda? Hresvelgr?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It's just me and about 2 other people wearing masks where I work now. I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country, but at least around here no one has ever given me poo poo for wearing a mask.

I am just grateful for all the advice when I was sick because I tested negative in less than a week. The only lingering symptom is that I've felt sort of electric since having covid. I can't really describe it and it only made sense to me after I learned about Tim Kaine's experience with covid. It's weird!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

eXXon posted:

NYT asks "How Bad Is a Second (or Third or Fourth) Case of Covid?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/well/live/covid-reinfection.html (note the live well; live your best life!)

The first loving sentence is complete garbage! gently caress you!!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Yes, it's BA.2.86

I've seen it called BA.X, BA.6 and Pi (don't call it this - it confuses the issue with WHO designation) as well. So not really any cool names.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Aug 18, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Greg Legg posted:

I am just grateful for all the advice when I was sick because I tested negative in less than a week. The only lingering symptom is that I've felt sort of electric since having covid. I can't really describe it and it only made sense to me after I learned about Tim Kaine's experience with covid. It's weird!

Oh poo poo, someone tell Gary Numan we finally found the answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1snv-0jCiWY

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Turbofucker 9000

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Heard back from a lawyer at Nebraska DHHS about the state COVID wastewater records:

quote:

Good morning,
Thank you for your public records request below. After a diligent search, the agency has determined it has no responsive records. Please be advised that public records law allows for a charge for the actual cost of collecting, reproducing, and mailing the records you have requested; however, there is no cost for this request.

You may want to submit your public records request to the agency responsible for maintaining these records, Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy.
Thanks,

I will make a request to the Nebraska DOEE next I guess.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol H.P. Hovercraft still denies it exists

lol

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Greg Legg posted:

It's just me and about 2 other people wearing masks where I work now. I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country, but at least around here no one has ever given me poo poo for wearing a mask.

No one has ever given me poo poo but I'm also a dude. A couple weeks ago some old lady yelled at my wife while she was walking to work but she feels a lot less self conscious than she did when she had to RTO so it didn't really bother her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rosalind posted:

Heard back from a lawyer at Nebraska DHHS about the state COVID wastewater records:

Holy poo poo it's even better than I expected :haw:

"The data is available on request"
"Okay, I request to see the data"
"[404 error]"

Edit: "After a diligent search, the agency has determined..." LOL LOL LOL

Edit 2: the not-so-subtle hint that "If you ask us again we'll bill you" was also pretty drat funny

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Aug 18, 2023

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

DominoKitten posted:

CDC is on the case

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1692326710262304890?s=20

If you scroll down far enough on their linked safety suggestions, you can even see these rogue government elements recommending N95s, where nobody pays attention.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

Wow. Wearing respirators? Moving previously indoor activities outdoors? Air filtration? They sound pretty insular over there at the CDC, someone should report them for generating mental illness.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rosalind posted:

lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

wow these guys really want you to gently caress off

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

I will never get over how funny the duck masks are, I love them

orange duck mask is my daily driver

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

No one has ever given me poo poo but I'm also a dude. A couple weeks ago some old lady yelled at my wife while she was walking to work but she feels a lot less self conscious than she did when she had to RTO so it didn't really bother her.

Oh absolutely I should clarify that I'm just a boring regular white guy. I do worry about my wife when she is out. The last time she went to the store she told me there were two old ladies wearing masks and talking about how easy it is to do so.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Malgrin posted:

A bit ago someone said something to the effect of "we've known for the vast majority of this pandemic that covid is airborne." This is a clear indicator that even covid-cautious people still believe it is primarily spread by droplets. At least, I can't think of any other explanation.

it is still not accepted that COVID is airborne and will probably never be accepted. We have known for a long time that COVID is airborne but the entire discourse over the past 3 years has been to obscure and attempt to discredit this

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The Oldest Man posted:

wow these guys really want you to gently caress off

They will learn that I am incredibly stubbornly persistent in the face of stupid bureaucracy.

Request to Nebraska DOEE sent.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that is absolutely not true

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
As far as I can tell there is a large group that maintains that airborne diseases don't exist at all, and there are no examples. They have to arrive at that conclusion because as soon as you compare covid to any other disease its obviously more fit at floating, dispersing, and surviving.

That news item from earlier this week about mask standards for infectious respiratory diseases changing from respirators to surgical masks is a great example. The only way to arrive at that conclusion is to assume all diseases stop at droplet transmission.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Rosalind posted:

They will learn that I am incredibly stubbornly persistent in the face of stupid bureaucracy.

Some states seem to be a lot more friendly about public records requests than others.

Nebraska does say they bill hours, so this *could* get expensive.

https://ballotpedia.org/How_much_do_public_records_cost

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rosalind posted:

I'm predicting they'll either pull the same "The princess is in another castle" maneuver or tell you they only release the data to certain organisations and sorry, you don't count.

The final step in this process is going to be contacting the news channels that reported the governor's representative's claims that the data was available on request and telling them that turned out not to be true but I'm guessing they'll have moved on bigly and won't care

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Nebraska DHHS: Don't worry about it.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/laurieallee/status/1692324204996436380
https://twitter.com/LauraMiers/status/1692340941900644531

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Rosalind posted:

thread is loving back lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

that seals the deal, never going to Nebraska

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fosborb posted:

Two gin-scented tears, etc etc

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Some people think covid is airborne, others just want to wash their hands of the whole affair.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

BONGHITZ posted:

that seals the deal, never going to Nebraska

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

A fifth case has now been found, in London.

Would anyone offer an opinion that BA.2.86 is anything other than the most interesting and concerning strain identified since Omicron in November 2021?
It's a small cluster. This is what a virus does. Doesn't mean it will be of any significant value. Thousands of variants pop up every day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

It's a small cluster. This is what a virus does. Doesn't mean it will be of any significant value. Thousands of variants pop up every day.

The tiniest dollop of a cluster, thinly schmeared across four continents

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao @ never getting a named variant

that lesson was learned very well!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Helpful info for min-maxing your 2023 build:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19...the%20opposite.

quote:

Sequential vaccines, like those used for COVID-19, may elicit a greater immune response if the recipient has the same arm injected, called ipsilateral vaccination, as opposed to contralateral vaccination, in which the primary vaccination is delivered in one arm and booster dose is delivered to the opposite.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

bedpan posted:

They shouldn't have skipped Nu. An everlasting "Who's on first?" would only have furthered the confusion.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

bedpan posted:

They had an entire narrative built up around "get the vaccine, return to normal" and Omicron took a big dump on that

Never again lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

Baddog posted:

Some states seem to be a lot more friendly about public records requests than others.

Nebraska does say they bill hours, so this *could* get expensive.

https://ballotpedia.org/How_much_do_public_records_cost

fosborb posted:

goon funding the public records requests so that we can have public health dashboards again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Bastard Tetris posted:

I will never get over how funny the duck masks are, I love them

Not the most effective mask, but still the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtrZb7gAyxg