Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Maybe Dark Souls players should "get good" at touching grass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

An easy mode for Dark Souls would be the same game but just with little arrows telling you what stats to level. If fromsoft wanted to make a hard game they'd get rid of level grinding and summoning, which they already did with Sekiro. These are points that were already in the video being discussed. Have the people making easy mode suggestions both never played a fromsoft game and not watched the video?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Like, make invasions opt-out even if you're playing online

they technically did that already with Elden Ring, didn't they

they even included sparkling arrows on the map from graces, that very explicitly pointed towards progress

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Shinji2015 posted:

Turns Souls combat into a turn-based system
With microtansaction gacha

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

dark souls is fun because it prides itself in its grim darkness and difficulty, but then every encounter is trivialised by the power of friendship or even casual acquaintanceship

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Imagining VATS system in DS

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Dark Souls Idle Clicker

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Nuebot posted:

I actually hope they make more but make them easier and more engaging for everyone except the hardcore crowd. Like, make invasions opt-out even if you're playing online and watch the entire fanbase just melt down :getin:

They already did this in elden ring

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ulvir posted:

they technically did that already with Elden Ring, didn't they

they even included sparkling arrows on the map from graces, that very explicitly pointed towards progress

Vagabong posted:

They already did this in elden ring

Did the hardcore crowd get mad?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Looking through Noah's feed, he really needs to put some more distance between himself and his viewers. He seems like he's on the edge of a nervous breakdown because he didn't get a particular video out fast enough and he thinks people will accuse him of being "bougie" because he took a vacation. I say that in good faith because I did enjoy his Souls videos and I don't doubt for a moment that he got hassled by the notorious subsect of overzealous fans.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

Did the hardcore crowd get mad?

nah, fromsoft should carry on with this path

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Looking through Noah's feed, he really needs to put some more distance between himself and his viewers. He seems like he's on the edge of a nervous breakdown because he didn't get a particular video out fast enough and he thinks people will accuse him of being "bougie" because he took a vacation. I say that in good faith because I did enjoy his Souls videos and I don't doubt for a moment that he got hassled by the notorious subsect of overzealous fans.

People 100% do those exact things you describe him being scared of.
Wasn't even that long ago when somebody used an AI to make a deepfake because their fav youtuber was taking too long to publish a new vid.
We've also had instances in these threads of people trying to argue Youtubers are the bourgeoisie for completely asinine reasons, like not enjoying being woken up by construction work.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Clerical Terrors posted:

not enjoying being woken up by construction work.

Can’t believe I missed this ep of tea spill

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Clerical Terrors posted:

People 100% do those exact things you describe him being scared of.
Wasn't even that long ago when somebody used an AI to make a deepfake because their fav youtuber was taking too long to publish a new vid.
We've also had instances in these threads of people trying to argue Youtubers are the bourgeoisie for completely asinine reasons, like not enjoying being woken up by construction work.

Man...that's all the more reason to only use social media to announce new episodes/content and nothing else, if you're a creator.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

he's been like this forever. He started a "you can get a refund on all of your patreon money at any time for any reason" policy in like 2017 or something to have an escape route from obnoxious fans. He just really can't take internet heat. (Not that Noah, or anyone, should have to! he just has a lower tolerance than most.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Noah in particular has always been really preemptively and extremely apologetic about missing video deadlines. Presumably because he places a lot of value on his patrons and staying honest with them. e: beaten

In general, I always feel sad when a content creator feels obligated to make a big "Sorry I haven't made a video in a month, my car exploded and my mom was taken by the pixies and my dog ran away to join a white nationalist organization, and that's not even getting into the swarm of bees that have infested my computer..." video and it's like goddamn this entire system sucks rear end.

Terrible Opinions posted:

An easy mode for Dark Souls would be the same game but just with little arrows telling you what stats to level. If fromsoft wanted to make a hard game they'd get rid of level grinding and summoning, which they already did with Sekiro. These are points that were already in the video being discussed. Have the people making easy mode suggestions both never played a fromsoft game and not watched the video?

Fromsoft are unparalleled geniuses who wrote the book on good game design and are lightyears ahead of any other game developer on the planet, but obviously if you asked them to implement an easy mode they'd go cross-eyed and smash their keyboards until we ended up with 2x player health/1/2 enemy health because they don't know what they're doing.

Also DS2 had its own codified hard mode that everyone forgets for some reason.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Impermanent posted:

he's been like this forever. He started a "you can get a refund on all of your patreon money at any time for any reason" policy in like 2017 or something to have an escape route from obnoxious fans. He just really can't take internet heat. (Not that Noah, or anyone, should have to! he just has a lower tolerance than most.)

Yeah I remember him doing an apology over his audio quality which, sure, is not always great but is an incredibly minor thing in the context of his videos.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Motto posted:

Did he get a lot of blowback over his souls video or something?

As a masochist who frequently reads the comments YouTube videos I can say that the comment section for his two Soulsbourne videos had a contingent of Dark Souls fans tripping over themselves to go "Well actually what 'git gud' really means is...".

I just don't understand this mindset some people have developed that beating the single player mode of a Soulsbourne games makes you some kind of "True Gamer" ubermensch, considering these games aren't particularly hard in the grand scheme of things, they just aren't super transparent about their mechanics. Like, when I think of people who are really good at video games I think of speedrunners or people who play fighting games and MOBAs at the competitive level, not some dingus who beat the singleplayer mode of Dark Souls.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's funny because a lot of what makes the Souls games tick is right outta old spiteful CRPGs, which I'm pretty sure Noah has experience in.

Also I'm reminded of the time I was told flatout that I was literally incapable of perceiving the themes of Dark Souls because I didn't die nearly enough.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Also I'm reminded of the time I was told flatout that I was literally incapable of perceiving the themes of Dark Souls because I didn't die nearly enough.

Git bad

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i think the people who suggest/demand an "easy mode" for fromsoft games are genuinely pathetic and should make peace with the idea that not every game was made for them or that theyre so entitled to every experience that the world has to bend for them. if you conflate difficulty with disability access during this convo i will blow you up with a laser beam.

people play these games on dk bongos or with their eyes closed. the fromsoft "difficulty" is overblown and the point of the game. the narrative and game mechanics underline that the entire thesis of their game design is to overcome impossible adversity with the power of friendship

anyway iirc i thought this guys dark souls opinions were out of pocket but in a way that was very interesting. a new perspective very outside my own, even if they were insane to me

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

There is nothing more obnoxious than people who think they're innately superior to others and that any action or choice they make is proof of their innate superiority and something that can only be done by other "special" people.

Like, I know someone who thinks that because she specialized in a complicated programming language, buys expensive, brand-name electronics and plays tabletop rpgs with overly complicated rule systems is a sign of her innate intelligence

fun hater
May 24, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

As a masochist who frequently reads the comments YouTube videos I can say that the comment section for his two Soulsbourne videos had a contingent of Dark Souls fans tripping over themselves to go "Well actually what 'git gud' really means is...".

i cannot believe how mad "git gud" still makes people lol. tyler the creator "just close your eyes" tweet

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

fun hater posted:

i cannot believe how mad "git gud" still makes people lol. tyler the creator "just close your eyes" tweet

For every person like you that thinks it's funny, there are hundreds who have made bellowing "git gud" the cornerstone of their entire being. Not to make people angry, but because they believe they're the modern King Leonidas and that weakness (in action rpgs) must be purged.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Lmao this loser is using items and theyre not even in the postgame

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

KingKalamari posted:

Like, when I think of people who are really good at video games I think of speedrunners or people who play fighting games and MOBAs at the competitive level, not some dingus who beat the singleplayer mode of Dark Souls.

Yeah I always thought it was strange that Fromsoft games get lumped together with highly technical execution-heavy mechanics because even though "mash circle" is a slight exaggeration...it's not that much of an exaggeration. They're not exactly Devil May Cry or comparable to "real" fighting games.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

The irony of the people who use "git gud" sincerely is that 90% of the roadblocks people run into in FromSoft games can be solved with simple advice, the right item or minor strategy adjustments.

Having trouble with dodging the early bosses? Make sure you're getting right up in their grill rather than trying to stay at the edge of their attack radius.
Getting ganked by skeletons and ghosts early on? You're not supposed to take those paths at the start of the game, look around the firelink shrine for an alternate path that takes you to the ruined aqueduct
Taurus Demon being a bitch? Explore around the upper undead burg and you can find some lightning grease to make your weapons electrified.
Is your stamina always running out? It replenishes much more slowly when you have your shield raised, keep that fucker lowered unless you see an enemy attack coming.
Bell Gargoyles kicking your rear end? Restore your humanity beforehand and you can summon Solaire to lend a hand, and don't forget you can use the nearby blacksmith to boost your weapons
Capra Demon wrecking your poo poo? Go beat up Havel for his ring to supercharge your poise and equip a weapon with a wide attack arc like a polearm to take care of the dogs with him.
Those boulder-throwing ogres in lower Blighttown ruining your day? If you do a bunch of obscure, unintuitive bullshit you can go back to the asylum and get a ring that removes the speed penalty you get from walking through water.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Fromsoft are unparalleled geniuses who wrote the book on good game design and are lightyears ahead of any other game developer on the planet, but obviously if you asked them to implement an easy mode they'd go cross-eyed and smash their keyboards until we ended up with 2x player health/1/2 enemy health because they don't know what they're doing.

Also DS2 had its own codified hard mode that everyone forgets for some reason.
I very well think they could in theory make something good, arguably they already did with some of the system changes in Elden Ring. It's just that none of the suggestions from this thread or any of the other places this discussion has turned up are a good direction.

It's also really sad that the suggestions all seem geared toward spiting twitter enemies.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

For every person like you that thinks it's funny, there are hundreds who have made bellowing "git gud" the cornerstone of their entire being. Not to make people angry, but because they believe they're the modern King Leonidas and that weakness (in action rpgs) must be purged.

who cares. make fun of them for being insane. do they hold you down and spit on you or something

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The unfortunate thing is, Armored Core fans are some really great and chill people. Unfortunately, AC is a FROM game, so that means FROM fans will also be present, and... yesh, yeah :yikes:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

I very well think they could in theory make something good, arguably they already did with some of the system changes in Elden Ring. It's just that none of the suggestions from this thread or any of the other places this discussion has turned up are a good direction.

It's also really sad that the suggestions all seem geared toward spiting twitter enemies.

tbh most of the changes people want would be fine so long as they were on a toggle. i dont want help or guidance or rails or bumpers but i wouldnt fault the people who do. unless they do that thing where they start insisting their preference should be the standard baseline under the assumption that the purpose of creation is to make things that appeal to everyone ever (or bc they feel self-conscious about using them lol). fromsoft games are products for a certain niche, it would be like wanting way points and map markers for morrowind even though that's the appeal.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 18, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

fun hater posted:

who cares. make fun of them for being insane. do they hold you down and spit on you or something

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
You advocate for not reacting to things, and yet here you are, reacting, curious.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Clerical Terrors posted:

You advocate for not reacting to things, and yet here you are, reacting, curious.

a warrior knows when to lol and when to keep his silence -sun tzu

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

the absolute worst part of any dark souls discussion is stupid easy mode arguments, even if i must admit i think the idiots who say "easy mode is accessibility" make me go "no gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you". pretending that having easy mode is an accessibility option is doing a major disservice to actual accessibility options. i think the first time i ran into accessibility options was either Celeste or Crosscode, and those had really good accessibility options if i remember correctly. i think i lowered puzzle speed a bit in crosscode, cos my hands are poo poo and some of the harder puzzles required too much of my hands to execute comfortably, and i was grateful for that option.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

SpiritOfLenin posted:

the absolute worst part of any dark souls discussion is stupid easy mode arguments, even if i must admit i think the idiots who say "easy mode is accessibility" make me go "no gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you". pretending that having easy mode is an accessibility option is doing a major disservice to actual accessibility options. i think the first time i ran into accessibility options was either Celeste or Crosscode, and those had really good accessibility options if i remember correctly. i think i lowered puzzle speed a bit in crosscode, cos my hands are poo poo and some of the harder puzzles required too much of my hands to execute comfortably, and i was grateful for that option.

one of the things that drives me apeshit insane is how colorblindness, the easiest thing to accommodate if you consider it from the start, is never considered. im not even color blind but its insane it isnt codified as a standard inclusion in all games. and sometimes when it is, its just "ugly mode" because they swapped the colors without concern for the palate

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think Dark Souls and all of From Soft's work should have a 'Pause button' mode

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Miyazaki is on record stating he never intended for the Souls games to be particularly difficult. Blame the marketing for turning it into such a meme.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
We should go back to all games having cheat codes that allow you to turn on invulnerability, infinite ammo, etc. I love exploring video game worlds, basically treating them as installation art pieces while ignoring the gameplay. I would totally buy Dark Souls just so I could walk around and go "so this is the famous Taurus demon I have heard so much about" while it wails on me impotently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
If the first Dark Souls had a "let me test this new weapon moves set" room; it'd be a better game. None of the starting classes had cool weapons. I enjoyed the halberds and big sticks, but I had to invest time and stats to see how they handled.