Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Harlock posted:

Mr. CEO, one follow up question please: what was the purpose of the stripper joke at the end of the meeting I'll hang up and listen.

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1692498348924617098

i’m the wrong company name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Terren tech tips does have a ring to it you know.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Linus Pest Tips

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

I will interrupt the thread to remind everyone that certified Good Lad Cathode Ray Dude's great series on weird quick boot systems has now gotten up to a laptop that could just function as a TV.

I had a Lenovo gaming laptop from 2009 and snagged a digital tv tuner that fit into its 34mm ExpressCard slot so I could watch live OTA HDTV and record it using Windows Media Center. Technically, it worked surprisingly well, but I never ended up using it as much as I thought I would and by 2015 I had replaced that machine. Unlike CRD's machine though, my Lenovo had to be fully booted into windows which was a painful experience until I eventually put a 240GB SSD in it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I still have one of those express card hp tuner sets plus windows media remote in my drawers. Sadly it's DVB-T1, so it cannot catch most of the current hd content and microsoft has killed the media center components after win8, meaning it doesn't have any support app to use.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I actually just bought one of those Haupauge TV-dongles a month ago. For my father who is stuck in the hospital with lovely wifi, no normal TV, but with a good laptop.
I can't imagine many other use-cases for that thing.
And the software that came with the thing looks like it wasn't updated since windows xp. And was activated with a code from a printed activation card that came with the dongle.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

For being out and about, the USB dongle solutions are quite good, yeah.

A better home-theatre PC solution nowadays is a device like a HDHomeRun - which takes a DVB-C/S/S2/T/T2 data stream, and makes it accessible as a device that can be used by TVheadend et cetera, but over the network.

It does make me wonder if CRD is aware of Kodi+TVheadend, though - he probably is, but the mention of MythTV and struggling makes me think he might just've given up (which is entirely fair, I struggled with it myself before discovering TVheadend).

EDIT: It's still very much in geek-territory, but an Asus PN42 (a fully fanless UCFF PC) with Linux, Kodi and TVheadend (optionally via LibreELEC) is a ridiculously simple way to get started.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 18, 2023

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Harlock posted:

Mr. CEO, one follow up question please: what was the purpose of the stripper joke at the end of the meeting I'll hang up and listen.

I haven’t listened to the audio but I can fully imagine Linus standing on a table to head all meetings no matter the seriousness

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

8 Ball posted:

I haven’t listened to the audio but I can fully imagine Linus standing on a table to head all meetings no matter the seriousness

but how else could people in the second row see him

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Harlock posted:

Managing to say that they were shocked to see the allegations and confirming that the post-Madison meeting was real in the same breath is an impressive feat.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Linus & leadership comes off a lot like both an old abusive manager of mine and also the manager above him.

Any time you had a problem, it was an immediate categorical denial of the problem itself, and a whole bunch of largely irrelevant personal defenses. Quickly followed by atttacks about how sad they are about how you brought up the problem, how these issues haven’t been addressed in the right way, that this is very unprofessional, vaguely threatening your next performance review or future career.

Every one of my coworkers took this up the chain, when they talked to the managers above him, they all got the “nobody else has said anything” and “this is the first I’m hearing of this.” Just absolute poo poo lies.

Don’t address the problem. Don’t acknowledge the problem. Deny ever hearing about it, deny that you had anything to do with it, deny that it’s a problem, and so on. Modern “third party investigation” practices are mostly smokescreens for more of these same tactics - they exist to facilitate the usual corporate strategies of minimizing or sweeping problems away rather than dealing with them.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I bet the wan show sticking point is going to be that he didn’t sell the water block he auctioned it

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Accidentally auctioned, don't forget! The accident part makes it okay. But don't worry this was a one-off so they don't need any new SOPs to avoid any future accidental auctions.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

I bet the wan show sticking point is going to be that he didn’t sell the water block he auctioned it

And that it was auctioned off for charity, don't forget. So they meant well, when they auctioned off a small company's expensive prototype that they had already agreed via email to ship back to them

E: Just astounding that they're still going to do a loving live show in the middle of all this. A good PR person or firm would have told them to shut the absolute gently caress up while they get a strategy plotted. But then we are talking about the guy who balked at spending less than $1000 to re-run the water block tests with the video card it was designed for, which ultimately caused the whole mess for LMG in the first goddamn place Never mind, they canceled it

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 18, 2023

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Listen, they auctioned it. For charity. You're not saying you're against charity....are you?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
When Linus is crying on stream about how everyone is being so mean to him, someone let him know I’m willing to be mean to him for charity

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

No fun this week y'all

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1692593238908301316

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

loving guarantee that the CEO the hired sat down and explained in very small words that this was going to be a loving PR disaster.

Which, good on him, that's pretty much him earning his paycheck. I mean, I'm sad I won't get to rubberneck the trainwreck, but still, he's doing his job.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yes, absolutely the right call.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

EngineerJoe posted:

Yes, absolutely the right call.

The right call for the business but I WANTED a train wreck and all the BS from that.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

I’m genuinely disappointed to lose this opportunity for more live meltdowning.

The idea that the WAN Show would exist at all past this is actually funny to me though. Like sure, just keep on giving Linus more places to show off his “foot in mouth” disease where he always comes off as entitled, whiny, and super defensive literally every week. They gave him a vaccine for it on Monday, it takes only 10 days for it to fully inoculate. He’ll be cured soon guys!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

loving guarantee that the CEO the hired sat down and explained in very small words that this was going to be a loving PR disaster.

Which, good on him, that's pretty much him earning his paycheck. I mean, I'm sad I won't get to rubberneck the trainwreck, but still, he's doing his job.

Totally agree with this. It is 100% the correct move, which means Linus had nothing to do with and probably active fought against it (to quote mr plinkett).

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Linus & leadership comes off a lot like both an old abusive manager of mine and also the manager above him.
[...]

Yeah that is the textbook DARVO: Deny, Attack, and Reverse Victim and Offender.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

:stare:

It is times like these you need someone to slap the poo poo out of you and tell you to take a loving stand and show even the smallest shred of god drat integrity. Jesus christ, get off the motherfucking Computer.

Ty for reading my post, Tennen

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
:negative:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ie. He took our suggestion and just has someone following Linus around to keep him from doing more stupid poo poo. Hopefully said person has a Taser.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't think Linus would have been able to go more than 15 minutes tops without trying to portray LMG as one big happy family (while dismissing Madison's complaints about them as just the whining of a disgruntled ex-employee, the Billet Labs debacle as a harmless mistake that they've graciously been trying to rectify, and the GN video as just shade being thrown at them from a former friend who is jealous of their YT success).

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Linus getting in front of a live camera right now would have been his downfall and I would have been here for it.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

grack posted:

Ie. He took our suggestion and just has someone following Linus around to keep him from doing more stupid poo poo. Hopefully said person has a Taser.

Any time Linus’ mouse cursor gets anywhere close to a post button, he gets tased in the balls.

They should have done that live, when Linus says “I’m sorry” they just immediate tase him before he can continue that sentence with “…that the public response has been so negative and forced me to do all of these very rational and normal things because I’m so sad by how much you hate me now since I’m a good person”

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I was looking forward to the wan show :shibe:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While the prospect of a WAN show was entertaining, I'll settle for the mental image of the CEO trying to explain to Linus why he can't do the show, and building up to just shouting "SHUT THE gently caress UP. JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP. YOUR TALKING GOT US INTO THIS SITUATION SO JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP!."

I mean, he probably didn't, but it's a funny mental image.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Cyrano4747 posted:

The CEO and everyone else around him. Just as likely Luke and Dan refused to do the show and that is what changed Linus's mind.

Hopefully the CEO got Linus and Yvonne to go on a long vacation in a location with no internet as well.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
What makes you think he won't say dumb poo poo next week when it's business as usual after the 7 day break. This is just a temporary delay, the bad decisions will continue

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the CEO and Luke coming up with a fake on-location video at a fake company's fake factory in Potemkin Taipei to keep Linus out of the way for a week

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Luke and others did push back on a lot of Linus' bullshit, but Linus continued to do it anyways because it kept working.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

VostokProgram posted:

the CEO and Luke coming up with a fake on-location video at a fake company's fake factory in Potemkin Taipei to keep Linus out of the way for a week

And they can just have some of their Asian staff act as workers in the factory, since they've already demonstrated Linus doesn't notice when they swap one Asian assistant for another.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

While the prospect of a WAN show was entertaining, I'll settle for the mental image of the CEO trying to explain to Linus why he can't do the show, and building up to just shouting "SHUT THE gently caress UP. JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP. YOUR TALKING GOT US INTO THIS SITUATION SO JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP!."

I mean, he probably didn't, but it's a funny mental image.

Linus didn't get them into this situation. That Labs goober did.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Randalor posted:

While the prospect of a WAN show was entertaining, I'll settle for the mental image of the CEO trying to explain to Linus why he can't do the show and building up to just shouting "SHUT THE gently caress UP. JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP. YOUR TALKING GOT US INTO THIS SITUATION, SO JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP!."

He probably didn't, but it's a funny mental image.

I, too, will now have this mental image, which is quite funny. Thank you, friend.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Arivia posted:

Linus didn't get them into this situation. That Labs goober did.

Pretty sure the bigger situation is Madison at this point and Linus and Yvonne 100% got themselves into that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Pretty sure the bigger situation is Madison at this point and Linus and Yvonne 100% got themselves into that situation.

Yeah I was just joking. Linus himself said the poo poo about retesting Billet Labs, anyway.