Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Without having booted the Steam version once I ask: can you transfer your progress/unlocks from the standalone version of HoloCure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
My progress all got transferred over from the itch version automatically when I launched it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There's also ways of transferring saves even if it doesn't, because my partner had to do it switching from standalone to Itch

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m thinking about getting this for my Switch today. Will I be missing anything critical if I don’t buy the DLCs immediately?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

No. Most of the things that radically changed how I played VS came as part of upgrades to the main game. There haven't been characters, weapons and maps that are total gamechangers in my eyes.

Is the Switch version even selling the DLC seperately? They're nice, but they are not essential.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 17, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mierenneuker posted:

No. Most of the things that radically changed how I played VS came as part of upgrades to the main game. There haven't been characters, weapons and maps that are total gamechangers in my eyes.

Is the Switch version even selling the DLC seperately? They're nice, but they are not essential.

They are sold separately on the eshop, yes.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

heres another free thing that looks kind of cool https://store.steampowered.com/app/2083160/Disfigure/

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Seems the vampire survivors engine update has arrived on Steam.
e: oh, and maybe something else.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 18, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Awesome! posted:

heres another free thing that looks kind of cool https://store.steampowered.com/app/2083160/Disfigure/

i will check it out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DNA: 20mtd. pretty fun!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is there a changelog for the vampire survivors update?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It has co-op now!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Nettle Soup posted:

It has co-op now!

well I know that, there's just apparently a bunch of other changes

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
So, a partial follow up from my search for a VS-like on Switch before the original came to the platform:
Void Scrapper causes way too much eye fatigue in both handheld and docked modes. It’s a combination of the dark color palette, loads of tiny sprites, and having to deal with a bit of inertia when changing directions/dodging. Would greatly benefit from optional palette swaps, like original gameboy green for the starfield.

Too many unlocks combined with especially underwhelming meta progress stat boosts. And you only get rerolls/banishment from much more expensive meta, meaning each new unlock is half something new, half diluting your points/build pool.

There’s some good things about it, but this isn’t a review. I’d personally recommend avoiding this title on Switch even if it’s on sale (normally $4 US). My eyes just came away worse for the wear whenever and wherever I played.

Might be something particular to me or my setup, since it doesn’t appear to be a common complaint. I don’t tend to have this same problem with other games, however.

Haven’t decided whether I want a second copy of Vampire Survivors on another platform yet, however. Depends on how I feel about starting from scratch and unlocking again.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You should also avoid Void Scrappers because it's a lazy, poorly balanced, rushed title.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
HoloCure is legit amazing, what the hell. The stages are challenging, the weapons feel good, there's a huge amount of characters and each has unique skills and weapons and the dev is still planning on essentially doubling the current roster? wow

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So has anyone had any weirdness on the new Vampire Survivors engine? I was playing a round to tidy up some missing achievements, got Luminaire to the end of the round, I didn't have the gear to properly survive Death but somehow I just kept ticking along - not taking any damage at all. The game got to about 37 minutes and then just completely crashed.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Azran posted:

HoloCure is legit amazing, what the hell. The stages are challenging, the weapons feel good, there's a huge amount of characters and each has unique skills and weapons and the dev is still planning on essentially doubling the current roster? wow

It also has a bangin' chiptune OST, and it's 100% free with not even an option to give the devs money which is wild. Lots of people in this thread have been singing Holocure's praises, since it's very similar to VS but mechanically better in every way and the hard stages remain challenging and engaging even when you've maxxed out shop and character upgrades. The new patch also added a whole separate little animal-crossing-esque minigame village where you can fish and farm and cook and decorate your house. The endless mode score leaderboard is back online as well, so you can compete for high scores against everyone else playing on steam.

Some folks just break out into hives and rashes when they hear "anime aesthetic" and won't give it a chance, but that's life. :shrug: For what it's worth, the graphics are all pixel art sprites that are about as "anime" as Final Fantasy VI for the super nintendo, and you don't need to know anything about the vtuber characters to enjoy the game. I have no clue what 95% of these references are, doesn't matter, game is good.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Awesome! posted:

I'll give this a solid B recommendation. I've put a dozen hours into it, which I feel like is a lot given there isn't a lot of content. The main mechanic is that you have very limited vision and, while some upgrades will expand it or provide other ways to detect enemies, you're playing partially blind for most of it. Otherwise, it's very similar to 20MTD with manually aimed weapons that are balanced around either raw damage or rate of fire. The draw of a high rate of fire is that many upgrades do flat damage on hit, though some also scale off of your base weapon's stats. Upgrades are different ways to cause damage that are largely analogous to the elemental damage types in 20MTD.

The game is solid and I would describe it as a promising EA title if the developer hadn't indicated that it's basically done. Which is 110% fine, the game is free and has no microtransactions or energy systems or other bullshit that nearly all free games on Steam have.

There's an optional $5 DLC that is a straight donation to the developer that I feel compelled to both purchase and mention since I've enjoyed it more than some of the $10 entries in the genre.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How do I open new areas? I have the first three zones available. I cannot figure out what I did to open the second and third zones.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Holocure: Iofi seems pretty bad? Her special seems useless unless you just keep it over a boss and even then it just seems like it tickles. Whats the trick with her?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Tried out Holocure and while what everybody's saying is true... I dunno, just didn't really vibe with it personally. It's weird, because it's not aesthetics or even initial difficulties with gameplay that's turning me off. I mean, that was the case with Boneraiser and I still found it compelling enough to keep trying it and eventually crack the code and 100% it. And for Holocure, I really do like all that stuff here and even beat a stage on my first run. And yet I don't see it as a game I'll be coming back to.

Glad to see everyone else is enjoying it though, it really is a fantastic project!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Jossar posted:

Tried out Holocure and while what everybody's saying is true... I dunno, just didn't really vibe with it personally. It's weird, because it's not aesthetics or even initial difficulties with gameplay that's turning me off. I mean, that was the case with Boneraiser and I still found it compelling enough to keep trying it and eventually crack the code and 100% it. And for Holocure, I really do like all that stuff here and even beat a stage on my first run. And yet I don't see it as a game I'll be coming back to.

Glad to see everyone else is enjoying it though, it really is a fantastic project!

That's totally fair, of course it won't vibe with everyone who tries it. The harder levels do get more interesting in terms of boss mechanics plus significant bullet hell and AoE dodging which I enjoy. Also a lot of the game systems are gated behind cheap shop upgrades (character Special attacks, the Stamp system to mod your main weapon, anvil enchantments for weapons, and the "fandom" character power grind).

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Wildtortilla posted:

How do I open new areas? I have the first three zones available. I cannot figure out what I did to open the second and third zones.

for uh, which game

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Another thing about the Holocure update, am I just really unlucky or is it taking way too long to get any kind of offense going? It's at least 10 minutes before I have a single collab and at the 5 minute mark I'm typically rocking like one weapon in addition to my main attack. And everyone just feels squishier and slower than before. I know collabs got nerfed but I havent heard anything about across the board character nerfs.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

Assuming this is VS, the normal stages are unlocked by reaching a level of 20 times the stage number in the previous stage. The plurality of bonus stages are unlocked by killing the 25-minute boss in each normal stage, though there are many exceptions.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Overbite posted:

Another thing about the Holocure update, am I just really unlucky or is it taking way too long to get any kind of offense going? It's at least 10 minutes before I have a single collab and at the 5 minute mark I'm typically rocking like one weapon in addition to my main attack. And everyone just feels squishier and slower than before. I know collabs got nerfed but I havent heard anything about across the board character nerfs.

I haven't noticed any significant change in power myself.

A big factor is getting higher fandom levels with the character you're playing. Blue level gets you one random skill level right from the start of a stage, red level gets you one level in all character skills, and silver level gets you max in all character skills which is basically like starting every game with nine free level ups. If you've just unlocked a new character and start playing them, it's naturally going to take longer to get high level weapons.

The food buffs from the cooking minigame can be a nice boost too if you're having a hard time. It's pretty quick to farm some wheat, fish some shrimp, and cook some tempura for an always-on 30% ATK buff.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Overbite posted:

I think a not-insignificant part of the issue is simply a matter of the item pool being pretty bloated at this point. If you're trying to fish for specific collabs, it's definitely frustrating.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I found that to be much less of an issue once I started using Eliminate more judiciously. There's 10 of them, and they don't cost picking a level option, so the earlier you use them the better they are. Paired with Rerolls, I can basically get whatever build I want.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've really enjoyed Holocure for the first dozen hours but I've just been jumping from character to character getting some initial upgrades and trying to beat all the stages. I'm through Stage 1 hard at the moment and just now starting to think about trying to actually level up some characters.

I somehow paid no attention the the fandom thing after unlocking it which probably would have helped, because I thought stage 4 was pretty difficult and failed it probably a dozen times. The game is real good if you like VS though. I will say it doesn't really auto target well, everything just fires in the direction you are facing if you don't manually target things which probably makes it unplayable as a true auto shooter at higher levels and it's more of a dual joystick thing unless I'm missing something.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Substandard posted:

I will say it doesn't really auto target well, everything just fires in the direction you are facing if you don't manually target things which probably makes it unplayable as a true auto shooter at higher levels and it's more of a dual joystick thing unless I'm missing something.

Holocure really does require constant aiming on most characters / builds, just letting weapons fire based on character movement direction makes the game awfully difficult. There's a few exceptions, like if you play as Fauna and only get nondirectional AoE weapons then you could play one-handed. The mouse and keyboard controls work pretty well, but I like dual joystick controller a bit more. I wish there was an option that let you mouse aim without holding down left click.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mentat Radnor posted:

red level gets you one level in all character skills

Minor note but I'm pretty sure the distribution of the 3 free skill levels is random, you can end up with 1 in each or all 3 in one or a 2-1 split. They might have changed it to be more consistent with the new update though, not sure.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Minor note but I'm pretty sure the distribution of the 3 free skill levels is random, you can end up with 1 in each or all 3 in one or a 2-1 split. They might have changed it to be more consistent with the new update though, not sure.

Ah you're right it does say "3 random Skills gained at start of game", thanks for the correction.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Substandard posted:

I've really enjoyed Holocure for the first dozen hours but I've just been jumping from character to character getting some initial upgrades and trying to beat all the stages. I'm through Stage 1 hard at the moment and just now starting to think about trying to actually level up some characters.

I somehow paid no attention the the fandom thing after unlocking it which probably would have helped, because I thought stage 4 was pretty difficult and failed it probably a dozen times. The game is real good if you like VS though. I will say it doesn't really auto target well, everything just fires in the direction you are facing if you don't manually target things which probably makes it unplayable as a true auto shooter at higher levels and it's more of a dual joystick thing unless I'm missing something.

e: Added pics with character names & their respective gacha banners so people know who I'm talking about if they want to try them. Also added some holo house stuff.

I play dual stick and it does feel much more natural depending on who you're playing. Aki Rosenthal's basic weapon doesn't require aiming, for example.

For Fandom metaprog it's pretty easy to max out once you have a few hard stages unlocked. You can buy up to G Rank 20 by pulling the gacha/spending tears to clear the first tier of fandom xp. There's bonus points for first time clearing stages and the hard ones are worth more, so after that you just need 2 or 3 hard stage clears and you're maxed out.

If you need money to buy a lot of gacha pulls/spend on metaprog, the typical money run character before this patch was Irys with the Greed Stamp (pray that it drops) for money on hit, Piggy Bank for money on movement, Halu to have more targets to hit/increased mob hp so you can hit them more for more greed stamp procs, and finally Supachatto Time for increased money drops/Auto gold pickup. You can turn off other weapons in the metaprog store to maximize hits with your primary weapon if you really want to min-max. With the addition of Holo House you can cook Fruit Sandwiches for 30% more money drops.

Irys is super solid thanks to her crit and defensive passives, and her primary weapon hits many times when maxed out which procs the greed stamp a lot.

In this patch Ayunda Risu is also good for money farming because her skills and primary weapon are so good at multi-hitting to proc the Greed Stamp. She requires some defense/sustain items though whereas Irys can get away with less investment in staying alive. I was able to clear Stage 1 (Hard) handily with Risu's primary alone, but I have a lot of metaprog unlocked at this point.

I only bother maxing fandom on characters I really like to play, but I'm glad they made it easier to do this since there's so many characters and there are plenty more to come.

Another interesting character from this patch is Anya Melfissa. If you think not moving at all is cool, she can slow the entire game down by 75% while she's not moving thanks to her Slumber skill. It reduces her damage dealt dramatically but it also heals her and reduces her damage taken. She's perfect for getting the "clear a stage without moving" achievement. It was made much easier for me by using the Researcher Coat item since it generates a % of your xp bar so long as your hp bar is full, which isn't a problem when all the mobs take forever to reach you and you are straight up ignoring some attacks with Headphones and her ult.

Fishing at the Holo House seems to be a totally fine way to farm coins as well if you just want to chill and play a simple rhythm game. The other girls will visit as npcs and they will occasionally leave fish for you to pick up for free, so I like to leave it running while I'm in the shower or out walking my dog. The sand you get for selling fish is tradeable 1:1 for coins. Higher tier rods catch way more fish at a time, as well as higher tier fish that sell for more. The npc fish drops depend on which rod you have equipped.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 19, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Mentat Radnor posted:

I wish there was an option that let you mouse aim without holding down left click.

At least on the steam version you can just left click once to toggle mouse aim.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Substandard posted:

At least on the steam version you can just left click once to toggle mouse aim.

Oh that's great news for mouse + keyboard players then, I haven't tried it recently. Maybe it was always like that and I'm just dumb.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Never mind!

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 20, 2023

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Another good character for money farming seems to be Pavolia Reine. Her special lets you punch coins out of the enemies it hits, so you don't even need to get a lucky Greed stamp drop. Just get the idol costume, halu, and probably the super chat to vaccuum up all the coins you'll be making and you're pretty much good to go.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I completely converted a friend of mine who somehow had no idea what Vampire Survivors actually was to this day through 2 co-op games tonight over steam remote play. He went and bought a copy and the dlc immediately after we finished tonight, haha. That co-op is so much fun, being able to strategize who gets what with two people is very neat and adds a fresh dynamic to the game. I just wish proper online MP was possible, but thankfully remote play is supported and worked really well so it's not a huge deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does Holocure have DPS statistics? I'm on Hard 2 but I'm brick walling on it and I think it's because I'm not doing enough damage.