Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DLC Inc posted:

just got a PS5 and my fiance started playing FF16. I'm grateful that this game will likely be the gateway to finally get her into Devil May Cry lol. When I looked at the moveset of the main character and saw "enemy step" and a legit helmbreaker/stinger, I had to google who the combat director was and sure enough, same guy.

I think almost every move in the game has its direct inspiration from DMC series. There's also one particular fight in the game that's just "Yes that's the thing everyone remembers"

Odin is Vergil 1 boss fight from DMC3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

fridge corn posted:

More Bloodbornes and The Last Guardians please

Here's what we do have coming that is not part of an already established video game franchise (all published by Sony) :

Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
Rise of the Ronin
Convallaria
Marvel's Wolverine (but I'm sure they'll tie it into Spider-Man somehow)
Fairgame$
Concord

And it is Square-Enix but we're getting Foamstars too. You can laugh but the early reception of this game from reviewers has been positive.

And Death Stranding 2 might end up to be more interesting than the first.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Wild if you don't think gotta contenders TOTK and BG3 aren't AAA, and that AAA is still some of the best it's been in some time.

Like you may think of Fromsoft as some small scrappy developer but cursory searches are showing Elden Ring cost about as much as GoW Ragnarok to make, and Armored Core probably ain't going to be much cheaper, and those games are, lemme check, good and probably will be good.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 18, 2023

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
the ifrit from dmc is way cooler than the ifrit from final fantasy (any one)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

It all feels stale and as a gamer™, you just feel caught in this loop of AAA. Which is why people lose their minds to maybe an unreasonable degree when something like Elden Ring or BG3 comes out. It's all the stuff you wanted out of the triple the AAA game with actual interesting poo poo instead of being exactly what you'd expect. We are all so used to playing some indie game made by two people if we want to see something new, the second you get to experience something fresh with actual AAA-ish production it's just like, gently caress!

This describes how I felt when I recently tried out Dragon’s Dogma. It literally gave me goose bumps. Here was a game that on its surface looked like a fairly standard fantasy action rpg. And I like those, but they’re very familiar, and not that exciting anymore. But DD did so many things differently. It was original and ambitious, but not just for the sake of being different or weird (though I think it’s fair to call it that too). A lot of those quirks served a purpose, and the end result was something fresh and incredibly engaging.

It gave the impression of a standard action game, but it played very differently. And it made me realize that despite decades of this type of game, there’s still so many unexplored avenues of design. And that games nowadays feel similar and rote, because they are, but they don’t have to be. It was a game like Prey that reignited my love for games, because it reminded me of how spellbinding they can be when you’re resonating with them. It gave me that sense of wonder and excitement (and goose bumps) I’ve very rarely felt as an adult.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the ifrit from dmc is way cooler than the ifrit from final fantasy (any one)

dmc ifrit is a pair of gloves

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I just got Everspace 2 yesterday and it's awesome. If you're disappointed in Diablo IV and want to scratch that loot itch, this is the game to buy. It's also very challenging, I'm an old fart with old fart reflexes and usually have to revert to Easy difficulty on most games about half way through and they become boring and too easy. The easy difficulty on this game is perfect for me, making a mistake will still cause death but the enemies are a notch slower making it possible for me to dodge their weapons. I couldn't play on normal after the first couple of encounters because the enemy are just too fast and accurate.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

dmc ifrit is a pair of gloves

FIRE KARATE GLOVES

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ineffiable posted:

Here's what we do have coming that is not part of an already established video game franchise (all published by Sony) :

Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
Rise of the Ronin
Convallaria
Marvel's Wolverine (but I'm sure they'll tie it into Spider-Man somehow)
Fairgame$
Concord

And it is Square-Enix but we're getting Foamstars too. You can laugh but the early reception of this game from reviewers has been positive.

And Death Stranding 2 might end up to be more interesting than the first.

Yeah I know, I hope all those games are cool. Just a shame what happens to all their western franchises. I bet Wolverine is gonna rule and I hope they don't make a second one.

Rinkles posted:

This describes how I felt when I recently tried out Dragon’s Dogma. It literally gave me goose bumps. Here was a game that on its surface looked like a fairly standard fantasy action rpg. And I like those, but they’re very familiar, and not that exciting anymore. But DD did so many things differently. It was original and ambitious, but not just for the sake of being different or weird (though I think it’s fair to call it that too). A lot of those quirks served a purpose, and the end result was something fresh and incredibly engaging.

It gave the impression of a standard action game, but it played very differently. And it made me realize that despite decades of this type of game, there’s still so many unexplored avenues of design. And that games nowadays feel similar and rote, because they are, but they don’t have to be. It was a game like Prey that reignited my love for games, because it reminded me of how spellbinding they can be when you’re resonating with them. It gave me that sense of wonder and excitement (and goose bumps) I’ve very rarely felt as an adult.

Really looking forward to Dragon's Dogma 2 even tho I didn't particularly enjoy playing the first one it was super quirky and mad and bonkers and wanna see what they do with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah I’m elated that it’s getting a second chance. DD was honestly a bit of a rough draft, that really deserved a sequel to refine its ideas.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/armoredcore/status/1692310342523863244?s=20

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Finished FF 16 a few days ago. Overall, a good game. I agree with most of the complaints that people raised, though, the game is very uneven. That said, the final 5 hours basically made the game worth playing in my mind, because Ben Starr's performance was just jaw-dropping and I enjoyed all the interactions with the big bad. The scene (ending spoilers) when Joshua dies gave me loving goose-bumps, and made me cry at the same time.

The visual presentation is impeccable, to the point that it can make things seem almost sterile, especially talking about the environment and level design in general, but sometimes the characters, too. Speaking of levels, for being almost completely linear, there were visually some of the most boring levels in recent AAA memory. The combat showed a lot of promise but it's undercut by the non-existent difficulty. The story, on the other hand, started out like generic fantasy but I very much liked where it went by the end. Voice acting was stellar all around. Cinematic direction of the main stuff was beautiful, of side quests very workman-like and unexciting. I don't know what to say about the whole RPG system, including levels, crafting and items, which feel vestigial at best and don't belong in this kind of game anymore IMO (I know we're talking about FF here but seriously).

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I just got Everspace 2 yesterday and it's awesome. If you're disappointed in Diablo IV and want to scratch that loot itch, this is the game to buy.

Yeah I'm about 8 hours in and the game has really exceeded my expectations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

FIRE KARATE GLOVES

Ifrit isn't even the coolest pair of fire karate gloves in the DMC series.

(That is Balrog.)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I just got Everspace 2 yesterday and it's awesome. If you're disappointed in Diablo IV and want to scratch that loot itch, this is the game to buy. It's also very challenging, I'm an old fart with old fart reflexes and usually have to revert to Easy difficulty on most games about half way through and they become boring and too easy. The easy difficulty on this game is perfect for me, making a mistake will still cause death but the enemies are a notch slower making it possible for me to dodge their weapons. I couldn't play on normal after the first couple of encounters because the enemy are just too fast and accurate.

Ahhhh, poo poo.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Fix posted:

Ahhhh, poo poo.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Was remote playing in bed last night and was thinkin bout dat project q cuz it's a bit awkward to juggle the dualsense and phone at the same time haha :q:

Anyone have any experience with those controller phone cradles? There's quite a few and had to say if any are gonna be any good

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

fridge corn posted:

Was remote playing in bed last night and was thinkin bout dat project q cuz it's a bit awkward to juggle the dualsense and phone at the same time haha :q:

Anyone have any experience with those controller phone cradles? There's quite a few and had to say if any are gonna be any good

I'm pretty pleased with the Backbone PS edition. Only complaint is that my case is slightly too thick for it to fit, but the buttons are nice and it's pretty comfortable.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm extremely late to GOW Ragnarok but having just gotten into it i.e. up to the "looking for Tyr in a mine" part, how did people overall like the game? so far the "Give Me No Mercy" difficulty feels tough but I also think I recall GOW 2018 feeling the same in the opening hours on Hard difficulty due to not having your full moveset/runes/skills unlocked yet. idk why but that Hated draug fucker was tougher than all the bosses up to this point.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Echophonic posted:

I'm pretty pleased with the Backbone PS edition. Only complaint is that my case is slightly too thick for it to fit, but the buttons are nice and it's pretty comfortable.

Oh that's an entire 3rd party controller thing? I was just talking about one of those cheap cradles that attach directly to the dualsense

[url]Orzly PS5 Controller Mobile Gaming Clip, DualSense Controller Phone Mount Adjustable Phone Holder Clamp Compatible with PlayStation 5 Dualsense Controller https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MW73VKH?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_9SDZGVY3KAV133ZCQB51[/url]

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I will probably get the project q or whatever because I use my ps4 to remote play a lot in my bedroom but I’d also like something handheld

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

I'm extremely late to GOW Ragnarok but having just gotten into it i.e. up to the "looking for Tyr in a mine" part, how did people overall like the game? so far the "Give Me No Mercy" difficulty feels tough but I also think I recall GOW 2018 feeling the same in the opening hours on Hard difficulty due to not having your full moveset/runes/skills unlocked yet. idk why but that Hated draug fucker was tougher than all the bosses up to this point.

The gaming press and general public seem to love it, on the forums it's pretty divisive. Personally I thought it was sort of bad.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Morpheus posted:

Wild if you don't think gotta contenders TOTK and BG3 aren't AAA, and that AAA is still some of the best it's been in some time.

Like you may think of Fromsoft as some small scrappy developer but cursory searches are showing Elden Ring cost about as much as GoW Ragnarok to make, and Armored Core probably ain't going to be much cheaper, and those games are, lemme check, good and probably will be good.

For the last several years AAA has just meant "big game I don't like"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

The gaming press and general public seem to love it, on the forums it's pretty divisive. Personally I thought it was sort of bad.

It’s less focused than 2018, has a bit more AAAA cruft, and there’s a weak sequence or two that became infamous, but it’s still a very good game and if you liked 2018 you’ll probably like Ragnarok

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I loved every moment of Ragnarok pretty much

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unreal_One posted:

I don't think it's that simple. The whole concept of AAA is largely bullshit and hard to define. But there is more to it than just "I don't like this game so it counts as AAA" I think TOTK falls squarely into AAA because it's a big release by Nintendo. Games like Baulders Gate 3 and Elden Ring are a bit trickier because of their histories.

I dunno it's all sort of stupid, but there's also a distinction to be made between something like BG3 that is made and published by an independent studio who slogged it out doing their own thing for over 20 years to get to the point they are at now, and say, and Ubisoft franchise sequel. Fromsoft has a similar history as Larian despite no longer being independent and using publishers.

I'd have no problem with any of those games being referred to as AAA in a casual conversation, but when talking about industry trends it's worth making a distinction because they weren't made under the same conditions. Which is why AA is a useful term even it just as dumb as AAA.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

That's a really odd one but only if you look at the usual Ubisoft/Activision/Blizzard/EA Sports/2k suspects. Capcom games are supposed to be AAA and have all been excelent, same with FROMsoft. This is coming from someone that is enjoying more the new wave of boomer/indie shooters on PC than AAA ones but there are several good AAA releases like RE4 remake, Dead Space, BG3... etc. It's a matter of taste of course.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Elden Ring and FF16 are two recent AAA games that I really liked

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

It’s less focused than 2018, has a bit more AAAA cruft, and there’s a weak sequence or two that became infamous, but it’s still a very good game and if you liked 2018 you’ll probably like Ragnarok

I liked 2018 quite a bit. Not an all timer for me, but I still thought it was mostly great. I didn't hate Ragnarok, but I rarely found myself having a great time. It's a very competent game in a lot of ways, but I just did not like the story at all and the way the world and quests were designed was grating to me. It just felt tedious a lot of the time. I don't regret playing it but I'll most likely never play it again.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
To me AAA and especially AAAA mean the giant sprawling everything-to-everyone games that try to constantly engage you on every level simultaneously. It's a third-person brawler, with puzzles, and an RPG-lite skill tree, and a gear system, and an economy, and collectibles, and traversal challenges, and deep lore, and

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
AAA literally just refers to the budget of the game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
castlevania 2: simons quest was the last triple a game

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
someday we may see a AAAAA game, but god only knows what that will be like

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

someday we may see a AAAAA game, but god only knows what that will be like

That already exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwC-XMkTuro

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

To me AAA and especially AAAA mean the giant sprawling everything-to-everyone games that try to constantly engage you on every level simultaneously. It's a third-person brawler, with puzzles, and an RPG-lite skill tree, and a gear system, and an economy, and collectibles, and traversal challenges, and deep lore, and

Yeah I think that is definitely what pops into most people's heads when they hear the term. Which is why it's almost become an insult at this point to call something AAA.

Volte posted:

AAA literally just refers to the budget of the game

it really doesn't anymore though. You can say that and you aren't technically wrong, but that is not how the term is used most of the time anymore. It's like taking issue that a game is called "rougelite" despite having nothing in common with the original game from 1980.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 18, 2023

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I liked 2018 quite a bit. Not an all timer for me, but I still thought it was mostly great. I didn't hate Ragnarok, but I rarely found myself having a great time. It's a very competent game in a lot of ways, but I just did not like the story at all and the way the world and quests were designed was grating to me. It just felt tedious a lot of the time. I don't regret playing it but I'll most likely never play it again.

Pretty much exactly how I felt. The story just didn't engage me as much as 2018, it had small annoyances that kind of added up, but at the end of the day it was still an ok way to pass the time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Elden Ring was the AAA game I've loved the most from the very first minute of playing in years. I've been avoiding it for this whole year because I want to clear my backlog and stop making new builds so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also I think 2018 had far more memorable set pieces. Stuff like Jörmungandr popping out for the first time, The dead giant, that first fight with the big dragon...absolutely awesome. I can't think of a single moment from Ragnarok that felt noteworthy to me except maybe the Thor fight at the beginning which was cool, but is conceptually pretty much the same thing as the Baulder fight in 2018.