Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

probably the baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

weekly font posted:

I thought I was the only person brave enough to have this opinion

Count me on the train too. Savini nailed it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Martman posted:

was the moment:

1. the talking fox
2. genital mutilation
3. dafoe smashing that bird who would not shut the hell up

It was 2, the FGM, yeah.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Finally saw Talk to Me and I'd say I looked it more than Cobweb and Boat Dracula combined. The performances were all superb and I left feeling excited about what they do with the sequel. Give me more of the other side, that brief little glimpse was terrifying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just recently saw Absurd, so now I know the origin of that little kid that yells at you if your browser logs you out of the forums.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are the most autumnal horror movies? Like if I want the cinematic equivalent of snorting some crushed up red and yellow leaves

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

feedmyleg posted:

What are the most autumnal horror movies? Like if I want the cinematic equivalent of snorting some crushed up red and yellow leaves

Halloween

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Trick R’ Treat
Sleepy Hollow
Ginger Snaps

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A major credit to Carpenter considering the movie was filmed in May in California and they had to spread fake leaves around to set the scene.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

feedmyleg posted:

Something Wicked This Way Comes.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

A major credit to Carpenter considering the movie was filmed in May in California and they had to spread fake leaves around to set the scene.

Those pesky Illinois palm trees

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Aw hell, if I hadn't already blocked my evening out for a double feature of One Cut Of The Dead and Flatliners I would absolutely be doing a TCM rewatch.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Think I'mma watch TCM today then. Wait would today be the 50th anniversary?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I just remembered that when I was 14 I took my first girlfriend to see the TCM remake in theaters. The theater for once gave a poo poo about IDs, so we only got into it because I recognized a coworker from the make-up/costume store and she lied and said she was my mom.

I can not remember the name of the coworker, nor the girlfriend, because that was over 20 years ago and I’m busy crumbling into dust right now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Think I'mma watch TCM today then. Wait would today be the 50th anniversary?

50th anniversary of the film will be next year, it came out in October of 1974. But today is the anniversary of the totally true events that really happened

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll save my rewatch for next year, the 50th Anniversary. I rewatched it already this year back in May when I bought the new UHD.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Commemorate the anniversary of a movie you like. Not the anniversary of a bunch of real people being real murdered so you can hoot and holler at a version of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

In this vein, the opening of Halloween 4 is one of the most evocative representations of the season, and in only like a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m24E4MMDlTc

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Commemorate the anniversary of a movie you like. Not the anniversary of a bunch of real people being real murdered so you can hoot and holler at a version of it.

don't tell me what to do

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The movie is totally fictional, it's really not based on any specific crimes, even if some ideas were inspired by Ed Gein. Like, there were never any teenagers who came across Ed Gein's house and got murdered by him, nothing like that ever happened.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

feedmyleg posted:

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Basebf555 posted:

The movie … totally … really … happened.

:hmmyes:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

TCM is a documentary?! drat I gotta return some merchandise

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Reminds me, I really want to watch Tarsem Singh's The Fall some time

And The Cell again, more relevantly

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

TCM is a documentary?! drat I gotta return some merchandise

I mean there's no doubt that the opening narration is genius and for something that only lasts 30 seconds or however long it is, it really boosts the movie to another level imo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tcms are happening all the time, my cousin went through one

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Real Actual Leatherface was just on All Elite Wrestling this week! TCMs are happening all the time now!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just watched The Woman in Black, currently watching the remake. The first was solid, if a bit lacking in tension. So far I really like the style, tone, and mood of the remake, which is about 80% of what I'm here for anyway, plus Radcliffe has a great screen presence, but about 30 minutes in and it's quite clear to me that this film's primary problem is just how little it trusts its audience. It's all so obvious.

In the first 10 minutes it really hammers (heh) home that his wife is dead and has left him in unending grief—but not only that, we have to see her death in flashbacks. Instead of him flipping through papers and seeing death certificates, only to later understand their true relevance, we have to scan across them and see that a child drowned in the marshes and linger on it. Then he has to flip over and look at the drawing his child made him, just to drive the personal connection home. We can't just hear the carriage accident in the mists, we have to see flashbacks there, too. Even the intro of the three little girls jumping out the window feels like it doesn't trust the audience to be interested in a slow burn.

I actually think most of the story tweaks so far are quite interesting—making him a widower who is on his last chance with his place of work is a different angle to explore, rather than a bright-eyed young family man at the beginning of his career. It's one of those tweaks that makes a remake feel like it could tread in slightly different territory without having to change everything or retread everything. But the execution is just a bit off. I like the addition of the spiritualism angle quite a bit, though.

Still, a nice Other than Sleepy Hollow, anything else from the past 30 or so years channel the Hammer vibe as effectively?

M_Sinistrari posted:

Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Always meant to check this out. Maybe tonight's the night. My brain is just ready for spooky season and wants to will in the autumn.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 18, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

feedmyleg posted:

A modern classic called Hubie Halloween

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAM4vbVy_Q8

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I associate Bram Stoker's Dracula with autumn even though it's not specifically a fall movie. It feels like Halloween.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay, finished The Woman in Black remake. It's good.

Overall, it's an improvement on the first adaptation. It adds some welcome layers and depth, then cranks the atmosphere up to 11, and the ending is really good. It just needed a little more patience and restraint to put it over the top into a timeless home run.

Honestly, this is one of those films where a fan edit could improve it immensely. It's all just a few trims here and there, pulling back some of the earlier ghost appearances be more shadows and questions than obvious apparitions, killing the unnecessary jump scares, and overall trusting the audience's intelligence just a little bit more.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its thread law that you have to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre today.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

shoeberto posted:

I associate Bram Stoker's Dracula with autumn even though it's not specifically a fall movie. It feels like Halloween.

I have the same general association with pretty much any gothic horror and yea Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of the best. It was also a consistent presence on cable in the 90s during the Halloween season.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat my local neighborhood theater closed for good apparently.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wonder what leatherface is doing irl now

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

Its thread law that you have to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre today.

Yeah? Well I'm a criminal and I don't obey rules.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msja6NVJg4c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

Pretty sure he was cancelled, so I dunno, hanging out with Scott Adams maybe?