Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

recruit Gudrun Magos.
Sim junkie on reserve duty? That's one we can actually use. I think she'll make an okay trainer with someone to watch over her shoulder - and point out real world experience trumps sim scores.

Just the one, tho, but I don't care if y'all add a +1 to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Loved the celebration party! :3:

Casting some weak votes to Magos and Vraman. I wouldn't trust the rest with a butter knife.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Also how much is 4xp acutally worth? like, what can you buy with that?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Vraman for the stubborn piloting of the STG over two encounters.

Maybe Lucas Shaw for the extra xp he has over the rest?

I could pass on the second pick, but we should have at least one backup pilot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheParadigm posted:

Nothing, it's 5xp to buy a new skill even

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

TheParadigm posted:

XP can be used for a variety of things. You can use it to improve your skills, ie. gunnery, piloting, small arms, mechanics, etc. You can also spend it to learn special abilities like Hopping Jack, Human TRO, Multi-Tasker, and others. Thirdly, you can spend it to buy Edge, which gives a character a re-roll against head hits, criticals, piloting skill rolls, and other stuff.

At the moment XP costs are still a bit provisional, but right now most Special Abilities cost 20 XP, Edge costs 10 XP, and skills cost varying XP depending on the skill level. For instance, right now it costs 10 XP to improve Piloting from 5 to 4, and 20 XP to improve Gunnery from 4 to 3. Toughness is technically an intrinsic thing that has to be assigned and doesn't cost XP, but I might make it cost 5 XP since it's useful but not overpowered.

I'll probably do a major update centered around character building sometime in the near future. 4 XP isn't much, but it builds up fairly quickly; Louis Belkof has 10 XP already and he's only taken part in one mission, albeit having earned MVP status.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Fair enough, and thanks!

I was noticing mister no-filter has 8, and was wondering if it was enough to buy him some gunnery or not, and didn't have any frame of reference.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm going to be the one who votes for recruit none

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

Scintilla posted:

“Clive! A round of UrbanMechs, if you please!”

Reading this I got suddenly reminded of the guy who tried to recreate a variety of BT cocktails somewhere early in PTN's original thread. Good times... ;)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

gonna vote for vraman and shaw. tschetter probably wouldn't be a bad choice if he had more xp/if he was more memorable than vraman, no mechanical downsides and nothing in the writeup that suggests he'll be a huge issue, but dangit i want things to go better for harathi vraman

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I was half tempted to say we pick up Mr Pyromaniac and give him the new Trebuchet after packing it with Infernos, but I'll be sensible.

Pick up Magos and Vraman. Shaw's got experience but he's not a good long-term investment due to his age.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Nathan Howell and Gary Tschetter.

Nathan, because who doesn't love a pyromaniac? And Gary because the dude was just an introvert who was too shy to speak up.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

none

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I'm going to examine our potential recruits closer in a minute, I'm still thinking. I just wanted to say, I think that the noncombat scenes might be even more entertaining to me than the combat ones. Love seeing this little Mercenary team take shape

I mean I guess it's not that little but, you know what I mean

Edit: After looking at things I think I'll throw in a vote for Magos because I think they can be salvaged. Get them some real combat experience and push them in the simulator and maybe there's some talent in there. Or maybe she flips out and breaks the simulator or something, who knows?

Outside of that... I think Vramen is salvageable too I think. He's got some issued but nothing that can't be worked through. I mean, assuming we don't die horribly in front of him.

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 18, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I like Vraman, he's had a tough run so far but might smooth out into a decent pilot for us. Comedy vote for Howell because he was the only opfor pilot to complete his objective last mission. I'm sure nothing could go wrong hiring a pilot like that when he has no outlet for his mania.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Let's not do the goon self destructive but funny votes too fast.

So I'll say none or just:

TheParadigm posted:

recruit Gudrun Magos.
Sim junkie on reserve duty? That's one we can actually use. I think she'll make an okay trainer with someone to watch over her shoulder - and point out real world experience trumps sim scores.

Just the one, tho, but I don't care if y'all add a +1 to that.

Magos because she appears to be a relatively salvageable case and having a sim junky to train against is useful. Of course, you could just hire one who didn't take part in some piracy or something.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Vraman and Shaw Long service, clean record and a usable amount of XP stack the deck in Shaw's favour. Vraman, a bit of therapy and he's eminently redeemable.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Voting Magos, she just needs some good role models and a second chance

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Voting none of these screwups because we don't need dead weight.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vraman and Tschetter

Both seem like they just need a group of non-rear end in a top hat companions to straighten out.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

So, how much will 2 new recruits cost us by the way? How big of an impact will they have the on bottom line if they end up being sidelined 90% of the time?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Remind me, did we end up pasting any Mechwarriors in the last missions?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Space Kablooey posted:

Remind me, did we end up pasting any Mechwarriors in the last missions?

I mean, Preston exploded into gore but I don't think that was directly our fault.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I pictured it as more of an implosion tbh, like crushing a soda can

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Amechwarrior posted:

So, how much will 2 new recruits cost us by the way? How big of an impact will they have the on bottom line if they end up being sidelined 90% of the time?

Assuming the salary stuff in MekHQ wasn't modified a ton, pilots are actually fairly cheap.

The thing I question for getting too many of the pirates was that there was talk of having standbys make their own characters so there was some reason to not stuff the roster

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Voting none. All of them had chances to do the right thing, none did.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

A character's pay is usually based on their skill level, with a 4/5 mechwarrior earning 1,500 C-Bills per month. I can edit this with my GM powers, however. Any Prowlers we recruit will initially be on probation at half pay until they prove they can be trusted.

Azhais posted:

The thing I question for getting too many of the pirates was that there was talk of having standbys make their own characters so there was some reason to not stuff the roster

This will definitely be a thing in the future, which is why I'm limiting this recruitment to two pilots at most.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just Magos.

Tschetter's completely uninteresting to build lore around, Shaw's not a good long-term investment due to age, and while Vraman might be salvageable, I don't think our company doc is a licensed therapist.

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 18, 2023

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Vraman and Tschetter

Both seem salvageable and most deserving (and most likely to actually use) a second chance to make better choices.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Vraman and Tschetter

Both seem salvageable and most deserving (and most likely to actually use) a second chance to make better choices.

This is my vote, too.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Howell so there are "colourful" characters to write about.
Magos so we get someone likely to be useful.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Alright, so I'm currently tinkering with the latest version of MekHQ and am thinking about importing our current save into it. The LP is currently running on version 0.48.0 of MekHQ, which is the latest stable version, but it was released all the way back in 2021, so it's pretty outdated by now. The latest beta is 0.49.14, and it includes updated sprites / newly implemented design quirks / pilot abilities / UI improvements and a whole bunch of other stuff. There are a few things I dislike, such as the weird shadows on the unit sprites that make the company's colour scheme look a little washed out, but overall it's a pretty big improvement.

I have loaded the save into version 0.49.14 and it seems to run just fine. At the moment I'm leaning towards continuing on with it, although if anyone knows of any catastrophic glitches / errors in that version I'll go back to the old version. Obviously I'll continue to make plenty of backups.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've not had any issues with 49.13 or 14 (at least nothing that wasn't also an issue in 48, like princess vs low gravity). I haven't turned on the new stratcon in 0.49.14 yet tho, so I can't speak to that.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

anakha posted:

Just Magos.

Tschetter's completely uninteresting to build lore around, Shaw's not a good long-term investment due to age, and while Vraman might be salvageable, I don't think our company doc is a licensed therapist.

Jack Daniels MD is always available as a counsellor for when you get really down.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Azhais posted:

I've not had any issues with 49.13 or 14 (at least nothing that wasn't also an issue in 48, like princess vs low gravity). I haven't turned on the new stratcon in 0.49.14 yet tho, so I can't speak to that.

The only real issue that I have encountered is that transferring the save seems to have broken the news updates. I got the COM-1B one again after advancing the timeline one day, and after several more days I've now received a bulletin dated five months in the future about Reilly's Armored Cavalry getting screwed over by the Combine. It's hardly game-breaking, especially since I can just save them all to a folder and post them when the correct date rolls around.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Can't you simply recreate the save by GM-ing all the data in manually? It would be tedious, but probably less so than working around a bug.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gnoman posted:

Can't you simply recreate the save by GM-ing all the data in manually? It would be tedious, but probably less so than working around a bug.

Weirdly, the bug seems to have sorted itself out. So far I've had the Hassad / Jasmine / Ford conquest events fire at the right time, and skipping ahead a bit the Kell Hounds disbandment also fires on the correct date. :shrug:

Edit: Here's a comparison between the old unit / camo style and the new (old is left, new is right):

I've brightened the white half of the paintwork to try and compensate for the weird tint / overlay the new sprites have. The newer sprites are still less colourful overall, but I do like the new Vulcan and Jenner sprites.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 19, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I too am a big fan of the new Jenner, looks great.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

really digging the non-spindly arms of the HBK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Space Kablooey posted: