Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Linus has a big problem with honesty when it comes to making money.

A while back, he started including random T-shirts in sales that meant you won a gaming rig and then in the same breath he would announce that they have new T-shirts for sale without confirming if they were also part of a contest.

This happened on wan show as Luke laughed off the side.

Every time there’s like a legal way to conduct your business vs the “run a cable through the ground and don’t tell anyone” he picks the option that will be the most profitable even if it’s extremely questionable morally and legally.

Why be honest about Madison quitting when you can just lie?

Why be honest about your lab reusing data when you can just lie?

Well, this would be why. **gestures at LTT fanbase fires across the internet**

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

Linus didn't get them into this situation. That Labs goober did.

I thought Linus was the one that made the "More accurate than GN" crack in the lab tour video that got the ball rolling on this whole shitshow? Either way, Linus definitely has the "Should have shut up three sentences ago" problem where he tends to turn something as simple as "I'm sorry" into a deflection of all blame onto everyone else.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I'm sorry we need to do better@ this new LTT pen and cup combo that goes perfect with today's sponsor only fans, which I use to sexually harass my employees!

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Randalor posted:

I thought Linus was the one that made the "More accurate than GN" crack in the lab tour video that got the ball rolling on this whole shitshow? Either way, Linus definitely has the "Should have shut up three sentences ago" problem where he tends to turn something as simple as "I'm sorry" into a deflection of all blame onto everyone else.

Nah it was some rando they hired for the labs.

Not that it matters, I think this scrutiny started during the backpack warranty and the “trust me bro” t shirts happened. That really cheesed Steve and his very normal and rational ethical concerns were dismissed, and Steve said point blank that LTT was from then on just another megacorpo to him as far as coverage was concerned.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

imnotinsane posted:

What makes you think he won't say dumb poo poo next week when it's business as usual after the 7 day break. This is just a temporary delay, the bad decisions will continue

Oh I think we all definitely know by now that Linus A)can't read a room and B)can't keep his trap shut. I'm just waiting for something that's legally actionable to come out of his mouth before too long.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

imnotinsane posted:

What makes you think he won't say dumb poo poo next week when it's business as usual after the 7 day break. This is just a temporary delay, the bad decisions will continue

Linus whenever people call him on his bullshit:

It made for hilarious videos sometimes, but it sure does make for lovely interpersonal and work relationships.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh I think we all definitely know by now that Linus A)can't read a room and B)can't keep his trap shut. I'm just waiting for something that's legally actionable to come out of his mouth before too long.

I'm just wondering if it's going to be before next Friday.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Any time Linus’ mouse cursor gets anywhere close to a post button, he gets tased in the balls.

Finally, a new Channel Super Fun video for Dennis to make. They'll get 100 million views.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cyrano4747 posted:

loving guarantee that the CEO the hired sat down and explained in very small words that this was going to be a loving PR disaster.

Which, good on him, that's pretty much him earning his paycheck. I mean, I'm sad I won't get to rubberneck the trainwreck, but still, he's doing his job.

Guess I'm going to bed then. No way if Linus was calling the shots merch messages would have been switched off lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

VostokProgram posted:

the CEO and Luke coming up with a fake on-location video at a fake company's fake factory in Potemkin Taipei to keep Linus out of the way for a week

The CEO is going to brain Linus with a brick and then re-enact Goodbye Lenin, making Linus believe nothing has happened and GN never published any videos against him.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Okay I'm on page 227 of reading this about Linus's poo poo show, just........loving wow and gently caress this guy and his company.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

A WAN show would have absolutely made things 100x worse for LTT and I'm so sad they finally made a smart choice and decided against it

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

chaleski posted:

A WAN show would have absolutely made things 100x worse for LTT and I'm so sad they finally made a smart choice and decided against it

It would have been their best show.

Also probably the last.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Bondematt posted:

Also probably the last.

Hate it when TV shows drag out with way too many seasons instead of just ending with a good bang.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bondematt posted:

Also probably the last.

Certainly would have been their most watched live.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

chaleski posted:

There’s always the off chance that Linus hits the “stream” button solo out of spite and yells at the camera drunk and naked.

I’m sad my evening entertainment got cancelled too.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Can someone point me to a good post that summarizes the situation as it stands currently? I subscribe to Gamers Nexus so I saw the video earlier this week, but beyond that I'm feeling a bit lost in all of these stories.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Can someone point me to a good post that summarizes the situation as it stands currently? I subscribe to Gamers Nexus so I saw the video earlier this week, but beyond that I'm feeling a bit lost in all of these stories.

In short
-Gamers Nexus does their first video
-Linus responds on the forums, defensive and warping the narrative
-Gamers Nexus responds in their news video and says ok we’re done
-Madison, former social media for LLT, posts her story of a toxic work environment and sexual harassment and how she left 2 years ago
-Hours later, LLT posts their “apology” video which is incredibly middling, including sponsor jokes, Linus continuing to be defensive, and so on. Does not address the Madison stuff, was filmed prior. They put a pause on video production for one week.
-Linus says he had no idea about the Madison stuff, shocked appalled, etc.
-An anonymous Reddit user reposts a recording from 2 years ago, originally leaked 6 months ago, it’s a recording of the internal meeting the entire company had after Madison left, where they go over harassment policies and such, suggesting Linus and management knew why she left and had to reiterate internal policies.
-Various LLT past and present employees continue to post short messages largely corroborating or supporting Madison’s posts.
-The WAN Show was cancelled, to the sadness of us all.

Hardcastlemccormik fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 18, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

rio posted:

I’m sad my evening entertainment got cancelled too.
:hmmyes:

Still crossing my fingers for someone to leak spicy emails, DMs and poo poo.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

In short
-Madison, former social media for LLT, posts her story of a toxic work environment and sexual harassment
-Hours later, LLT posts their “apology” video which is incredibly middling, including sponsor jokes, Linus continuing to be defensive, and so on. Does not address the Madison stuff, was filmed prior. They put a pause on video production for one week.
-An anonymous Reddit user reposts a recording from 6 months ago, it’s a recording of the internal meeting the entire company had after Madison left, where they go over harassment policies and such, suggesting Linus and management knew why she left and had to reiterate internal policies.
-Various LLT past and present employees continue to post short messages largely corroborating or supporting Madison’s posts.

Minor detail: HR was LINUS'S WIFE. Regardless of whether the allegations are true, he's already lying about them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Linus attempts to lighten the mood during a WAN Show stream, "well, HR at the time was just *Borat voice* MY WIFE..."

Loud boos are heard as Terren roughly places a black bag over Linuses head and drags him off camera and out of the building.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

quote:

youll never sustain a sicker burn than the insane + brutal carpet-borne friction from backpedalling after the worm turned on your fucker moron youtube content. your legs flailed in ever gayer circles fred flintstone style as you raced from the lego den to the computer room to let people know that your fun, inclusive workplace plus the time and money you spent trying to set up a more professional testing lab than the ersatz hard-r-word operation where you put the wrong GPUs on a waterblock were all part of your incredible company. you cannot save face or be even remotely not gay.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

In short
-Madison, former social media for LLT, posts her story of a toxic work environment and sexual harassment and how she left 2 years ago
-An anonymous Reddit user reposts a recording from 2 years ago, originally leaked 6 months ago, it’s a recording of the internal meeting the entire company had after Madison left, where they go over harassment policies and such, suggesting Linus and management knew why she left and had to reiterate internal policies.
Thank you, I appreciate this.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

In short

I think somewhere in there after Linus' initial response and before the Madison stuff, was when Billet Labs stated that their prototype was auctioned off and LMG initially offered to pay them for the replacement costs, then later contacted them saying went "oh wait we can totally get it back for you" (so they wouldn't have to pay them any money), along with claiming it totally definitely wasn't sold to any of their competitors. To which BL sensibly said "haha no, give us the money" because they weren't willing to waste any more time than they already have waiting for LMG to send it back to them. Oh, and also the video card that BL sent along for them to use in testing the waterblock somehow "mysteriously" managed to wind up in LMG's inventory.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think somewhere in there after Linus' initial response and before the Madison stuff, was when Billet Labs stated that their prototype was auctioned off and LMG initially offered to pay them for the replacement costs, then later contacted them saying went "oh wait we can totally get it back for you" (so they wouldn't have to pay them any money), along with claiming it totally definitely wasn't sold to any of their competitors. To which BL sensibly said "haha no, give us the money" because they weren't willing to waste any more time than they already have waiting for LMG to send it back to them. Oh, and also the video card that BL sent along for them to use in testing the waterblock somehow "mysteriously" managed to wind up in LMG's inventory.

Also, the offer to replace the prototype was insultingly low, as disclosed in the apology video.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Another point of contention with that list:

Linus initially said he had been in contact with Billet labs for quite some time about the prototype and the next day Billet labs came out and said LTT ghosted them until GN posted the video.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Also, the offer to replace the prototype was insultingly low, as disclosed in the apology video.

That was the amount Billet requested.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Specifically, it was what Billet said the prototype cost, which is not exactly the same as what they would have requested.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Linus attempts to lighten the mood during a WAN Show stream, "well, HR at the time was just *Borat voice* MY WIFE..."

Loud boos are heard as Terren roughly places a black bag over Linuses head and drags him off camera and out of the building.

No way WAN show is aired without a Superbowl style time delay cutoff button with Terren's hand hovering over it, staring angrily at Linus.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Reportedly Billet didn’t request compensation at all, at first. They just dropped a random number months prior when they were venting about how much it was worth. LTT responds months later going “ok we’ll compensate you for that amount you said”

Plus the the video card Billet sent which LTT lost at some point and couldn’t use to make the video…? What a poo poo show.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Nah it was some rando they hired for the labs.

Not that it matters, I think this scrutiny started during the backpack warranty and the “trust me bro” t shirts happened. That really cheesed Steve and his very normal and rational ethical concerns were dismissed, and Steve said point blank that LTT was from then on just another megacorpo to him as far as coverage was concerned.

The thing was Steve very clearly stated in that video that he was separating Linus the person from LMG the corporation and he needed to cover LMG just like any other manufacturing product sources like Intel, etc. He even said that due to the conflict of interest in being friends with Linus he needed to have strict policies articulated on how he was going to cover people in his space that happen to create their own merchandise, including themselves. He then stated that he was changing and enhancing his own warranty policies to be more direct and consumer friendly as an example of what they felt was acceptable.

The problem is Linus can't seem to sperate criticism of himself vs criticism of his company, which leads to stupid poo poo like assuming what he "meant" to do as being what the company (of 100+ employees) meant to do when they are obviously not 100% aligned.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Billet should have asked for 10x as much. £2,000 for the block, £19,800 for the trouble.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://youtu.be/XH6zCNR0SZ4?si=VApG7rO9ZQ6YBEZ0

https://youtu.be/EztG85_iNuo?si=WGY-fk3wpsXW7Qcd

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm watching the GN video from Aug. 15 where he's talking about Linus' initial response, and in that he says that by the time of that video, BL had not in fact given LMG a replacement quote but rather that they expressed frustration at the loss of a prototype worth X amount of dollars, and that LMG seemed to have run with that as the cost of total replacement. With everything that's been going on, I forget if BL eventually did give them an actual quote for the full replacement costs or not.

LorneReams posted:

The thing was Steve very clearly stated in that video that he was separating Linus the person from LMG the corporation and he needed to cover LMG just like any other manufacturing product sources like Intel, etc. He even said that due to the conflict of interest in being friends with Linus he needed to have strict policies articulated on how he was going to cover people in his space that happen to create their own merchandise, including themselves. He then stated that he was changing and enhancing his own warranty policies to be more direct and consumer friendly as an example of what they felt was acceptable.

The problem is Linus can't seem to sperate criticism of himself vs criticism of his company, which leads to stupid poo poo like assuming what he "meant" to do as being what the company (of 100+ employees) meant to do when they are obviously not 100% aligned.

I forget where I heard it, but years ago I remember reading/hearing something about how, if you're going to start a company up, you never ever ever put your own name on it. Because if you do, at some point something's going to happen (a scandal, or some sort of business failure, whatever), and then people will forever associate the stench of whatever it was that happened with the company you named after yourself, with you as a person.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 18, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

he wasn't lying

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Look at the last big poo poo you took.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Billett said they were out a [euro amount] prototype, and Colten ran with that as a replacement cost and agreed. I don't believe it was ever meant to be an agreed upon replacement cost, more like a "you loving idiots" statement.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

LorneReams posted:

Billett said they were out a [euro amount] prototype, and Colten ran with that as a replacement cost and agreed. I don't believe it was ever meant to be an agreed upon replacement cost, more like a "you loving idiots" statement.

Most likely. If £2k was their figure that includeda lump of copper AND R&D their product was dogshit. I charge that for a 1 hour meeting.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Charles Leclerc posted:

Most likely. If £2k was their figure that includeda lump of copper AND R&D their product was dogshit. I charge that for a 1 hour meeting.
It almost certainly was just the manufacturing cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Charles Leclerc posted:

I am pretty sure that's just the cost of the one item. It's supposed to be $800 MSRP or somesuch, so the one off preproduction model costing one ton makes perfect sense.