Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Busket Posket posted:

My dad’s favorite purveyor of novelty shirts in the 90s, and my source for random terrible “pranks” like “gum that tastes bad” or “soap that’s not soap”

My dad got the "Funny Side Up" catalog, which was the same crap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Busket Posket posted:

My dad’s favorite purveyor of novelty shirts in the 90s, and my source for random terrible “pranks” like “gum that tastes bad” or “soap that’s not soap”

They died just recently too. My mom and I used to love browsing these things

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

I do, however, remember people wearing clothes with the labels that were huge or just screamed in big letters ABERCROMBIE AND FITCH or AMERICAN EAGLE or HOLLISTER and these shirts had some lovely inuendo or claimed there was some rugged outdoor event, et. al.

It was gauche as gently caress.

My favorites were the ones that said PROPERTY OF [brand name/sports team] XXL EST [year]

Like, do you not own your shirt? Are you property of [brand name/sports team]? Did you get lost in their store or stadium and now you’re their ward or something?

And how about those racist A&F shirts? I remember seeing parody A&F shirts that said dumb poo poo like “Pimpercrombie & Bitch” (speaking of the most ‘90s things, ugh), but A&F was already plenty of that dumb poo poo themselves.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Things You Never Knew Existed and Mad Magazine where the "after school poop" reading material of choice in my house in the 90's.

My mom was smart enough to make sure the new issues were separated into different bathrooms so one sibling didn't hog it all and "stink it up"

I still have a huge tote of my Mad Magazines and they are a treasure trove of pop culture. I didn't understand much about OJ's trial but I certainly learned the most about it from Mad.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I remember when MadTV started and being hyped because my buddy had a Mad subscription. Then the only good skit I remember laughing at was the man-baby Richard “Look what I can do!” one.

Terrible show.

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

dialhforhero posted:

I remember when MadTV started and being hyped because my buddy had a Mad subscription. Then the only good skit I remember laughing at was the man-baby Richard “Look what I can do!” one.

Terrible show.

The bob newhart “stop it” sketch is one of my favorite bits ever, but yeah, overall awful show.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Yeah I loved MadTV back in the day but it's aged absolutely dreadfully and was not even good then and I was just easily amused.

There's a collection of decades of MAD magazine on DVD I got from a Software, Etc that I load up and look through an issue or 2 every so often. It's also available on archive.org if anyone is interested.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At least Mad TV had those animated Spy vs. Spy bits.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

doctorfrog posted:

At least Mad TV had those animated Spy vs. Spy bits.

And Kenny Rogers jackass and absolutely nothing else

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Unperson_47 posted:

It's also available on archive.org if anyone is interested.

Hell yeah.

I want to encourage anyone who finds things they love on archive.org, to personally archive them themselves. Archive.org is too good to last in these evil times.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have a soft spot for Bobby Lee going "Daewoo, bounce!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Unperson_47 posted:

There's a collection of decades of MAD magazine on DVD I got from a Software, Etc that I load up and look through an issue or 2 every so often. It's also available on archive.org if anyone is interested.

Oh cool! I have the Totally Mad set but I've never figured out how to dump the issues onto my Linux machine.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I enjoyed X-News :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn1VsnhMUAc

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MadTV is correctly described as some of the funniest LA comedians of their day being corralled into making some of the least funny material they could produce.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grassy Knowles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fair play

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

MadTV is correctly described as some of the funniest LA comedians of their day being corralled into making some of the least funny material they could produce.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

There's this one episode of some show that I remember watching in the 90's that no one else seems to remember. It might have been a one-off PBS special or something. The show was about this woman who wanted to get her black cat taxidermized but didn't want to just have a stuffed cat, so she took it to a taxidermist and described the cat's personality to them. After the discussion, the taxidermist took the cat and did the wildest poo poo to it. The cat ended up being mounted to a base so it could stand on it's hind legs, wielding a staff in one paw and dressed in a long black dress. It was all capped off with a crawn of twigs that were woven into a circle. It looked like the most bizarre witch.

When the woman got the cat back and she absolutely loved it. I remember her saying something to the effect of "This was her personality. You've captured her essence."

This one episode of whatever show has lived rent free in my head for decades and people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them about it. Anyone else remember this?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

I can feel the pain from leaning back to see the TV and the chair flipping out on me.

I eventually devised a two mirror system that… sort of worked.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I remember wanting an L-shaped/corner computer desk in that era with a keyboard tray that did not force you to put the monitor/keyboard on a diagonal in the corner like that. It was almost impossible to find. People loved that awkward configuration back in the day.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Porfiriato posted:

I remember wanting an L-shaped/corner computer desk in that era with a keyboard tray that did not force you to put the monitor/keyboard on a diagonal in the corner like that. It was almost impossible to find. People loved that awkward configuration back in the day.

Sort of design by necessity. With CRT monitors, you HAD to have a keyboard tray or a much larger (getting to back wise) desk
Making it a corner desk further fulfilled that since the very back of the corner wasn't getting used anyway, so might as well stuff as much as the CRT as you can.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chip McFuck posted:

There's this one episode of some show that I remember watching in the 90's that no one else seems to remember. It might have been a one-off PBS special or something. The show was about this woman who wanted to get her black cat taxidermized but didn't want to just have a stuffed cat, so she took it to a taxidermist and described the cat's personality to them. After the discussion, the taxidermist took the cat and did the wildest poo poo to it. The cat ended up being mounted to a base so it could stand on it's hind legs, wielding a staff in one paw and dressed in a long black dress. It was all capped off with a crawn of twigs that were woven into a circle. It looked like the most bizarre witch.

When the woman got the cat back and she absolutely loved it. I remember her saying something to the effect of "This was her personality. You've captured her essence."

This one episode of whatever show has lived rent free in my head for decades and people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them about it. Anyone else remember this?

https://youtu.be/u7RPvOOjCvE

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I think this is the better late-90s cgi-filled music video:

https://youtu.be/hUxN0K1ykNo

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I can hear the sound of my knees bouncing off that keyboard tray.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chip McFuck posted:

I think this is the better late-90s cgi-filled music video:

https://youtu.be/hUxN0K1ykNo

Peter Gabriel was always at the forefront so it's a shame that stuff like Big Time and Sledgehammer still look timeless but then with CGI he gave us Kiss That Frog and this abomination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt87bLX7m_o

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Peter Gabriel was always at the forefront so it's a shame that stuff like Big Time and Sledgehammer still look timeless but then with CGI he gave us Kiss That Frog and this abomination:

horny Peter Gabriel is the best Peter Gabriel

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Phanatic posted:

Attached to a better song this might’ve spawned more different memes than any other single video.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Attached to a better song this might’ve spawned more different memes than any other single video.

Sure, but a better song would require a better musician than Peter Gabriel.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Late 90’s; the Promus Hotel Corporation Marketing Service Center in Tampa, Florida:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gonz posted:

Late 90’s; the Promus Hotel Corporation Marketing Service Center in Tampa, Florida:

This is peak interior design. As a culture it's been all down hill from here.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

October 1994; Planet Hollywood Grand Opening at Disneyworld, Orlando, Florida:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

1999; Playstation Store at Sony Metreon complex in San Francisco, California:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Wow, an entire store dedicated to, and furnished with, only Playstation?

I never knew that existed.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
those Planet Hollywood interior shots feel like an attempt to induce seizures.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

It feels so painfully consumerist, but it's sad how store decoration has just fallen off a cliff since the 90s. It like, even with flagship stores the closest you get to any place going 'all out' is on some bullshit minimalist design. Like I remember going to the Nike store in downtown Seattle and

(not my photo)

It was just the most painfully generic urban industrial minimalist boring place ever. Clearly trying very hard to pull of an aesthetic but that aesthetic is the same one you can get in a goddamn Taco Bell or any fast food restaurant built/renovated in the last decade.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

It feels so painfully consumerist, but it's sad how store decoration has just fallen off a cliff since the 90s. It like, even with flagship stores the closest you get to any place going 'all out' is on some bullshit minimalist design. Like I remember going to the Nike store in downtown Seattle and

(not my photo)

It was just the most painfully generic urban industrial minimalist boring place ever. Clearly trying very hard to pull of an aesthetic but that aesthetic is the same one you can get in a goddamn Taco Bell or any fast food restaurant built/renovated in the last decade.

Niketown in Chicago in the 90's had like sneakers on little elevators and conveyor belts. I think there was a little quarter court with a hoop and a scoreboard. I also remember a ton of colored plexiglass.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Very much how every single McDonalds nowadays looks like an orthodontist’s office in a medical plaza on the outside.

Just absolute garbage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gonz posted:

Very much how every single McDonalds nowadays looks like an orthodontist’s office in a medical plaza on the outside.

Just absolute garbage.

that's because of property investment poo poo. Nobody wants to build a franchise restaurant with a unique and bespoke, recognizable architecture anymore because when the business shuts down and/or a recession hits and you want to put the property on the market you've got this building that clearly looks like a former McDonalds or whatever.

Case in point: there's a popular website that catalogs businesses occupying buildings that used to be Pizza Huts http://usedtobeapizzahut.blogspot.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Case in point: there's a popular website that catalogs businesses occupying buildings that used to be Pizza Huts http://usedtobeapizzahut.blogspot.com/

Mexican places or dispensaries. Pretty sure those are the only options.