Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Hey folks if you haven’t watched paranoia i think it’s a delightful game show and you should give at least the first two episodes a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The way Hank delivers The Fix's facts is legit terrifying.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Froghammer posted:

Stacey Fakename

Also my eyes went wide and I audibly gasped at the end of this episode. Love it when a show pulls a swerve in the last 20 seconds of an episode.

Yeah it was handled perfectly; saying it was raw unprocessed feed, the slowly opening eyes and then it being an unusual angle so the players had to take a beat to process what they were seeing themselves and it was VERY bad.

I'm wondering if it's a false memory though. Though it'd be a cool idea to have the entire game play out before Elias hits the ground, that seems really dark for Dimension 20.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm really curious if The game will turn into "Figure out a way to save Elias" or "Understand everything that happened and learn to accept your fate." Or....something else entirely. Edit: Oh, is the pressure around Elias's crotch his parachute harness?

It's not really directly comparable or related but for some reason the end of this episode reminded me a bit of Mice and Murder's Roll to see if ghosts are real. Mentopolis is obviously a more planned reveal, but they're both great twists.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 17, 2023

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm really curious if The game will turn into "Figure out a way to save Elias" or "Understand everything that happened and learn to accept your fate." Or....something else entirely. Edit: Oh, is the pressure around Elias's crotch his parachute harness?

For that second bit, I figured the vibrating thing near his balls was a wire tap. Dude's going whistleblower I think, no way you can wander around wearing a parachute and no one notices. I do hope the last scene is somehow Elias survives, goes to get a coffee and gets the girl at the coffee shops number.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

The vibrating by his crotch could just be his pants flapping in the wind as he falls or it could be evidence there's mind-fuckery going on and he's in some kinda of dream machine

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Shame on me for forgetting about the vibrating.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

timp posted:

I mean, who else is even doing taped improv? Wild n Out? (which I've definitely seen Wayne Brady guest on?)

Not trying to undersell the compliment because it truly is high praise, but the fact that there's very few shops in that town sorta undercuts it in my opinion. Like was that meant to also be a jab at someone else who isn't doing it right?

Maybe it's a dig at not being asked to do Murderville?

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
About two particular Mentopolis puns, one in ep 1 and one in ep 2: Any thoughts on the other six unnamed Ojjicle siblings? Norrell is dead, and I'm thinking there might be a Cycle Ojjicle, but I'm struggling to think of other possibilities. And what's the joke with De'lux?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

CK07 posted:

About two particular Mentopolis puns, one in ep 1 and one in ep 2: Any thoughts on the other six unnamed Ojjicle siblings? Norrell is dead, and I'm thinking there might be a Cycle Ojjicle, but I'm struggling to think of other possibilities. And what's the joke with De'lux?

Honestly so many things use the -ogical suffix that it's hard to know without another data point.
Psychological, biological, teleological, epistemological, physiological. It could be stuff related to brains, philosophy or things that Elias has studied. It'd make sense that a part of his brain that realized what the research could be used for got 'silenced'.

Lux is the word for light in latin; its the raw feed of light hitting the eye

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 18, 2023

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

Honestly so many things use the -ogical suffix that it's hard to know without another data point.
Psychological, biological, teleological, epistemological, physiological. It could be stuff related to brains, philosophy or things that Elias has studied. It'd make sense that a part of his brain that realized what the research could be used for got 'silenced'.

Lux is the word for light in latin; its the raw feed of light hitting the eye

Ahhh thank you, that second one was bothering me. The first one, I didn't know if there were any neuroscientists floating around who might be able to nail it down. It's probably not important, I just like trying to guess about stuff like that.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

timp posted:

I mean, who else is even doing taped improv? Wild n Out? (which I've definitely seen Wayne Brady guest on?)

Not trying to undersell the compliment because it truly is high praise, but the fact that there's very few shops in that town sorta undercuts it in my opinion. Like was that meant to also be a jab at someone else who isn't doing it right?

Smosh (I have a friend who is obsessed with them) is an astonishingly similar crew, but Dropout seems to have a good relationship with those folks. Ify has done bits with them and I know one of them was a guest on Um, Actually as well.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I think Smosh's target demographic is a little younger but it's very similar in the sense that it's an unscripted comedy brand which thrives on parasocial (sorry) relationships with the performers.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They also just started a D&D show. Smosh fans, as far as I can tell, seem to think it's decent.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
improv comedy has changed a lot in the era of streaming and youtube. del close would be ashamed, it’s completely impossible to identify The Game half the time

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
here's what i have to say to del:

*fart*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Megazver posted:

They also just started a D&D show. Smosh fans, as far as I can tell, seem to think it's decent.

Honestly, any streaming group with any remotely improv-y comedians that aren't doing D&D are probably losing money by not at this point.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i do love that make some noise feels like the ultimate extrapolation of short form improv and dimension 20 feels the same but for long form. maybe del would love it too

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lager posted:

Smosh (I have a friend who is obsessed with them) is an astonishingly similar crew, but Dropout seems to have a good relationship with those folks. Ify has done bits with them and I know one of them was a guest on Um, Actually as well.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=h20YcGn0xsY&feature=share&t=22m48s
Go to 22:48 for a quick crossover.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

kiminewt posted:

I think Smosh's target demographic is a little younger but it's very similar in the sense that it's an unscripted comedy brand which thrives on parasocial (sorry) relationships with the performers.

They even went through a similar arc of "getting bought by a larger business and then shutdown and one of the folks involved bought the operation and tried to keep everything going" from what I've heard. But yeah, both the actors and fans do seem to be a little younger.

Hah, my friend did show me that at one point but I'd forgotten about it.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Lager posted:

They even went through a similar arc of "getting bought by a larger business and then shutdown and one of the folks involved bought the operation and tried to keep everything going" from what I've heard. But yeah, both the actors and fans do seem to be a little younger.

Also the "origins are little gross and douchey in retrospect" thing (very very early college humor definitely leaned into the "college" part)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't the original guys buy Smosh back recently or something?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't the original guys buy Smosh back recently or something?

Yeah, from what I've gathered they sold the company/channel to an MCN (Aloy, later Defy) in what was basically what was them getting scammed around 2010 (one of many channels that got hosed by scammy MCNs around that time), one of the originals left a little later because it was a shitshow under Defy, Defy imploded around 2018 because of all the being bad at what they do and also apparently fraud? and the remaining founder managed to arrange a deal with Rhett and Link/Good Mythical Morning for them to buy the channel from the bankruptcy and keep it going, and the two originals got back together and re-bought it back from them a few months ago.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I was just rewatching S1E7 of Make Some Noise with SungWon Cho, Caitlin Reilly and BDG and....gently caress. Can we get some more of this? Three people that I love watching on YouTube and they all bring their A game.

For whatever reason I feel like all the guests on Um, Actually lately have been completely unknown to me. It's not all bad because it exposes me to cool new people I didn't know before, but I love getting that rush of "oh poo poo, they got ___??" and I haven't felt that in a while. I know this is totally subjective and that on the other side of the coin there's people being like "wow, they finally included my favorite podcaster ___!" so I really don't mean for this to be taken as a negative review. I just hope they eventually get a guest on one of these shows that delights me again

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

timp posted:

I was just rewatching S1E7 of Make Some Noise with SungWon Cho, Caitlin Reilly and BDG and....gently caress. Can we get some more of this? Three people that I love watching on YouTube and they all bring their A game.
They better have! They went to Juilliard for this poo poo

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Oh, Conrad

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, from what I've gathered they sold the company/channel to an MCN (Aloy, later Defy) in what was basically what was them getting scammed around 2010 (one of many channels that got hosed by scammy MCNs around that time), one of the originals left a little later because it was a shitshow under Defy, Defy imploded around 2018 because of all the being bad at what they do and also apparently fraud? and the remaining founder managed to arrange a deal with Rhett and Link/Good Mythical Morning for them to buy the channel from the bankruptcy and keep it going, and the two originals got back together and re-bought it back from them a few months ago.

Yup Rhett and Link/GMM bought it to save it and then when Ian/Anthony wanted to buy it back they sold it right back to them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sorta random but I didn't realise Sam's dad had a YouTube presence. The Algorithm pushed me a video he made about Supreme Court reform today.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Sorta random but I didn't realise Sam's dad had a YouTube presence. The Algorithm pushed me a video he made about Supreme Court reform today.

I started seeing videos from him on my feed a few years back, and while I suspected he was Sam's dad I didn't know his history and he was a YouTube figure to me far before I found out he had any direct involvement in American politics.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Caught up on Mentopolis.

Episode thougths: It's wild that the city is seemingly trying to cover up the Big Guy falling to his death. Maybe the difference in timescales means that it'll be days/weeks until it happens and those in charge just don't want a riot on their hands? Stay in charge as long as they can?

No good ideas on what the thing pressing into his crotch and vibrating is. Could just be a pager that got jostled while he was being shoved out a window, but that would hardly save him, and the the narrative implies it's going to be important.

A wild, probably-wrong speculation: As much as the friendship between Conrad and Justin the dog has been played up... does that make sense? I feel like the brain's ability to find justifications for things would generally run counter to the conscience. "It's okay that I didn't help that little old lady, because I was in a rush and didn't have time to stop." "It's okay that I cheated on that test, because I really, really needed a good score, and that mattered more than the ethics of it."

Some words have been thrown around about how Conrad is still just a near-powerless kid, and should, by all rights, be grown by now and participating in the governing of the brain. We saw that he blames himself for the ice skates incident, and that could explain it, but I'm wondering if... there might be a third act reveal. Like, Justin's goals are just so pathetic. He encourages Conrad, but the encouragement is just to, like, speak up in the tiniest and least-likely-to-succeed way possible. Justin might be planted here to keep Conrad contained. To keep the ways he pushed be small and useless.

I could absolutely see Brennan making the adorable dog sidekick be one of the secret villains of the season.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Mentopolis: The Defenestration is a climate change analogy I think. The bigwigs are denying it because they think that their power and status will allow them to isolate themselves from the worst consequences even as the lower classes suffer catastrophically. They’re wrong, of course. But the total and transformative effort it would take to figure out a snap solution (i.e. rack your brain) represents too much of a disruption for them to care, especially since it would leave them open to accountability as the lower classes assess how things were allowed to get this bad.

I really like your Justin theory. Definitely seems plausible, and “justification” being a nefarious force would fit the story theme well.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 20, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's probably not wrong. It like completely checks out.Like the worst thing for someone's conscience is justification. As it allows you to completely short circuit learning anything from any situation. It is what it Is, Nothing you can do about it.

Not to mention conscience probably should almost assuredly the one of if not the most powerful part of the brain. As your conscience is the thing that kinda guides everything about how you think about and approach situations.

edit: Not to mention that unless I'm mistaken, the only non humanoid is Justin

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 20, 2023

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Caught up on Mentopolis.

A wild, probably-wrong speculation: As much as the friendship between Conrad and Justin the dog has been played up... does that make sense? I feel like the brain's ability to find justifications for things would generally run counter to the conscience. "It's okay that I didn't help that little old lady, because I was in a rush and didn't have time to stop." "It's okay that I cheated on that test, because I really, really needed a good score, and that mattered more than the ethics of it."

Some words have been thrown around about how Conrad is still just a near-powerless kid, and should, by all rights, be grown by now and participating in the governing of the brain. We saw that he blames himself for the ice skates incident, and that could explain it, but I'm wondering if... there might be a third act reveal. Like, Justin's goals are just so pathetic. He encourages Conrad, but the encouragement is just to, like, speak up in the tiniest and least-likely-to-succeed way possible. Justin might be planted here to keep Conrad contained. To keep the ways he pushed be small and useless.

I could absolutely see Brennan making the adorable dog sidekick be one of the secret villains of the season.

This is a fantastic insight. I had noticed the kind of disconnect there, or maybe rather the oppositionality, but didn't know what to make of it. I think this is a likely outcome.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Yeah, I've seen too enough Brennan Lee Mulligan campaigns to immediately distrust Justin. Friendly NPCs that only exist to explain lore are never actually friendly (Calroy, Kerwyn Foehammer, Vice Principal Goldenhoard).

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Froghammer posted:

Vice Principal Goldenhoard

Am I the only person who completely forgot that that was his real name?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
"I know I'm going full Brennan Lee Mulligan" is a great line from an all round good episode of Um...Actually!.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
This is the first RPG my wife has ever watched and to my surprise she really digs it, despite having no interest in D&D-style game playing. Which season of D20 should we watch after Mentopolis?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

This is the first RPG my wife has ever watched and to my surprise she really digs it, despite having no interest in D&D-style game playing. Which season of D20 should we watch after Mentopolis?

It depends what you both like about it; humor, setting, charact- Just kidding, watch Fantasy High. If she isn’t digging it watch Starstruck.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Crown of Candy is also a good launching point if she’s into Game of Thrones-ish stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Mice and Murder may also be a good choice for an Agatha Christie style murder mystery to follow the Raymond Chandler style season.