Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At the end of TCM the semi truck driver just books it down the loving street while Sally gets in the back of the truck. Feel bad for that dude he lost his truck.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

At the end of TCM the semi truck driver just books it down the loving street while Sally gets in the back of the truck. Feel bad for that dude he lost his truck.

Leatherface really did this to this dude irl and this guy went on to become the guy who drove grave digger

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy TCM day :getin:

Just ordered the game (but won't be able to play it until next week :rip:)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

What are the most autumnal horror movies? Like if I want the cinematic equivalent of snorting some crushed up red and yellow leaves

always loved the vibes out of the '79 miniseries of 'Salem's Lot around this time of year

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

feedmyleg posted:

Just watched The Woman in Black, currently watching the remake. The first was solid, if a bit lacking in tension. So far I really like the style, tone, and mood of the remake, which is about 80% of what I'm here for anyway, plus Radcliffe has a great screen presence, but about 30 minutes in and it's quite clear to me that this film's primary problem is just how little it trusts its audience. It's all so obvious.

In the first 10 minutes it really hammers (heh) home that his wife is dead and has left him in unending grief—but not only that, we have to see her death in flashbacks. Instead of him flipping through papers and seeing death certificates, only to later understand their true relevance, we have to scan across them and see that a child drowned in the marshes and linger on it. Then he has to flip over and look at the drawing his child made him, just to drive the personal connection home. We can't just hear the carriage accident in the mists, we have to see flashbacks there, too. Even the intro of the three little girls jumping out the window feels like it doesn't trust the audience to be interested in a slow burn.

I actually think most of the story tweaks so far are quite interesting—making him a widower who is on his last chance with his place of work is a different angle to explore, rather than a bright-eyed young family man at the beginning of his career. It's one of those tweaks that makes a remake feel like it could tread in slightly different territory without having to change everything or retread everything. But the execution is just a bit off. I like the addition of the spiritualism angle quite a bit, though.

I saw a stage production once and it’s really great in that format. Better than either film version, or at least the one I saw was

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The TCM game is out today, too. It’s fine, pretty much the same as the other asymmetrical slasher games but no complaints

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

And you sick fucks are celebrating the anniversary like it's a joke.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish game developers would get over it and make a slasher game where I’m the slasher and I just murder ncps in creative ways instead of this multiplayer crap

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i keep putting it out in the world, but seriously a ghost trick like game where you are death possessing objects to kill people

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CelticPredator posted:

I wish game developers would get over it and make a slasher game where I’m the slasher and I just murder ncps in creative ways instead of this multiplayer crap

Splatterhouse, sort of.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want the best graphics to see the blood

Wolfenstein satiated my blood lust lol

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

The original Manhunt and I suppose most stealth action games like Last Of Us have these mechanics but yeah, reskin those and power up your protag to Jason, Big Mike, or Leather levels and there's something cool there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imagine the killer Klowns game in the style of destroy all humans

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you know now that i think about it, jaws unleashed was sorta a video game where you were a slasher

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I looked that up recently and wish they would remake it. It looks fun

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i remember going into an oil rig (?) and fighting a giant squid. good game. have a lot of childhood nostalgia for it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's also Maneater which is along the same lines, bit more recent.

Also, for how a slasher game should play out, just play Hitman. That's what I want, that "repeat a setup each time, but in increasingly creative fashion to kill your targets".

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 19, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why didn't Hammer's Hound of the Baskervilles get a sequel, this sucks :mad:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

feedmyleg posted:

Why didn't Hammer's Hound of the Baskervilles get a sequel, this sucks :mad:

Cushing actually played Sherlock Holmes a few times but I'm not sure if you'll be able to track down his other movies. He was also in a Sherlock Holmes TV series , but I'm also not sure how readily available that is.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hollismason posted:

Cushing actually played Sherlock Holmes a few times but I'm not sure if you'll be able to track down his other movies. He was also in a Sherlock Holmes TV series , but I'm also not sure how readily available that is.

Out of the sixteen eps of the Cushing Sherlock Holmes series, only six survive. The rest fell victim to the BBC's tape reusing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also, for how a slasher game should play out, just play Hitman. That's what I want, that "repeat a setup each time, but in increasingly creative fashion to kill your targets".

That one Vermont level is basically Haddonfield. Just put on the Corky the Clown outfit and go nuts.

I'm still not totally sold on the TCM game. It doesn't look like it has all the pieces in place for fun, emergent gameplay the way F13 did. Like the time two Japanese players gathered up all the first aid sprays and stuck them in a single cabin, that I happened to stumble upon. They talked to me over the mic, then kinda stood back and gestured to the sprays, inviting me to take one. It was just such a random, surreal moment that you'd never get from something like Dead by Daylight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I'm going to watch the rest of the Cushing Holmes stuff, but I want it to be spooky as hell :(

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Holy poo poo. If you haven't seen One Cut Of The Dead yet, go and watch it immediately, completely blind. It's a god-drat marvel. I can't say enough good things about it. I'm just sitting here floored at what I just watched. Wow.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Holy poo poo. If you haven't seen One Cut Of The Dead yet, go and watch it immediately, completely blind. It's a god-drat marvel. I can't say enough good things about it. I'm just sitting here floored at what I just watched. Wow.

:yeah:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I really liked One Of The Dead but things where you can't tell people why it's worthwhile without spoiling the whole thing are frustrating to recommend to people.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sounds like a skill issue B)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Origami Dali posted:

Out of the sixteen eps of the Cushing Sherlock Holmes series, only six survive. The rest fell victim to the BBC's tape reusing.

Oh drat I didn't know that. That's kind of depressing.

Here's all 6 on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2LckeopFN0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found something great at a thrift store

Def gonna get back into toy photography with this

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Can you draw on that chalkboard?

If you cant you should def buy some chalkboard paint and make it writeable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes I can

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 19, 2023

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Hollismason posted:

Funny you should mention it, Severin *just* announced a box set of Cushing rarities including those surviving episodes

https://severinfilms.com/products/cushing-curiosities

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Benito Cereno posted:

Funny you should mention it, Severin *just* announced a box set of Cushing rarities including those surviving episodes

https://severinfilms.com/products/cushing-curiosities

A movie directed by the Boulting brothers, starring Peter Cushing, Donald Pleasence and Spike Milligan?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I'm partial to the Hounds of the Baskervilles movie with Basil Rathbone in it, as it has a wonderful spooky mansion and atmosphere

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I really liked One Of The Dead but things where you can't tell people why it's worthwhile without spoiling the whole thing are frustrating to recommend to people.

I spent most of my idle time (showering, trying to fall asleep, etc.) trying to solve this conundrum and what I’ve figured out is “it’s about filmmaking, and family, and you wouldn’t expect it but I guarantee you’ll finish the movie with your heart warmed”. but there’s still a little too much there

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

"How you'll feel about the first thirty minutes isn't how you'll feel about the second thirty minutes, and how you feel about that isn't how you'll feel about the final thirty minutes" seems pretty long but I keep coming back to it

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
It took me three tries to get past the first third of One Cut of the Dead and I agree it's hard to recommend it to someone without spoiling everything. Just tell everyone to stick with it and it will be worth it

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

feedmyleg posted:

What are the most autumnal horror movies? Like if I want the cinematic equivalent of snorting some crushed up red and yellow leaves

Not one of the standard picks but I always watch The Stepfather around Thanksgiving for it’s late fall vibes.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

One day later and I'm still all about One Cut Of The Dead, but I do think to enjoy it fully you have to be into very specific types of film. Luckily, well, I am.

I was honestly all-in on the one-take-zombie-movie, I thought it was loving brilliant to behold and keep track of and I loved how much they set up of the short film's story (and the crazed director character was a BLAST), but the moment the title and (first) credits came up I started hooting and hollering and screaming at my screen. I've wanted a movie to pull that poo poo on me for a long time ever since I found myself slightly let down by the smash cut in the middle of Barbarian and I couldn't believe I finally had one pull the wool over my eyes so successfully. I'm sorry, I can't respect people who don't love the opening thirty minutes. That poo poo was awesome on its own merits. Even the short film is so tightly-written and stuff like the "makeup artist"'s self-defense classes coming back into play later makes the whole thing so enthralling, to say nothing of the incredible little moments that stick in your brain and make the reveals at the end so much sweeter.

It is hard to succinctly sell, though. I can say "A super fun zombie movie and technical marvel worth going into blind that has fun splatter, relentless energy, and incredibly tight directing and script, and is one of the smartest movies I've ever seen. It's a movie that will make you love movies and feel smart for paying attention, and treats you, the viewer, with respect." but that's so...wordy.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Snooze Cruise posted:

i keep putting it out in the world, but seriously a ghost trick like game where you are death possessing objects to kill people

Not really the same but there's this
https://store.steampowered.com/app/218640/Lucius/
No idea if it's any good, seems like a bit of a cult hit.