Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The removal of the Block feature is okay imo.

To be clear, you can still block people from DMing you or showing up on your timeline. You just can’t prevent others from seeing your otherwise public tweets.

It was a dumb feature to begin with. You would get auto-blocked from seeing someone’s tweets because they configured some bot to auto-block you based on the accounts you follow. But you could circumvent that just by creating a new account, so it’s not like the feature was protecting anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Vegetable posted:

To be clear, you can still block people from DMing you or showing up on your timeline. You just can’t prevent others from seeing your otherwise public tweets.

It was a dumb feature to begin with. You would get auto-blocked from seeing someone’s tweets because they configured some bot to auto-block you based on the accounts you follow. But you could circumvent that just by creating a new account, so it’s not like the feature was protecting anyone.

Hey Elon, glad to finally have you on here,

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You've got some brain worms OP. Most account related issues are resolved with making a new account

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Vegetable posted:

:eyepop:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I will never not lol @ Elon getting pwned by his own company's fact-checking measures.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

They can reply to every single one of your tweets with bullshit and if they have blue it gets boosted to the top. Your other followers and random people who go to your page will have to see said bullshit unless they also decide to mute those people.

Someone could make a new account to do this every time you block them, but it's way more effort, costs money if you want blue again, and most importantly, you don't have the huge follower base already. If you allow assholes with huge followings to interact with your content, they will inevitably drag more dumbasses with similar content into your replies.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
:lol:

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1692636022092238904

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Muting stops you from seeing/replying/retweeting their content.

Blocking stops them from seeing/replying/retweeting your content.

The latter is critically important, especially if we’re talking about large accounts. If some right wing chud harasser decides to comment on or retweet your poo poo, you can block them and they can’t keep doing it. That person won’t make a new account, they already have a huge following, that’s the point.

There’s way more to this than “I want people to stop seeing my public posts” and frankly that’s just stupidly reductionist.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Muting stops you from seeing/replying/retweeting their content.

Blocking stops them from seeing/replying/retweeting your content.

The latter is critically important, especially if we’re talking about large accounts. If some right wing chud harasser decides to comment on or retweet your poo poo, you can block them and they can’t keep doing it. That person won’t make a new account, they already have a huge following, that’s the point.

There’s way more to this than “I want people to stop seeing my public posts” and frankly that’s just stupidly reductionist.
I disagree and you have enraged me and I will reply to every post you make with the goatman. Sure you can ignore me, but the goat is still there.

It'll always be there.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
So Elon is actually sending out ad shares to EVERYONE who posts and hits the requirement? How on Earth is X even still operational? Is he just funneling money from Space X and Tesla into it to keep it afloat?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RDM posted:

I disagree and you have enraged me and I will reply to every post you make with the goatman. Sure you can ignore me, but the goat is still there.

It'll always be there.

One should always assume the goat is always there

memento capra

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/EliotETC/status/1692615160588812560

lmao

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

So Elon is actually sending out ad shares to EVERYONE who posts and hits the requirement? How on Earth is X even still operational? Is he just funneling money from Space X and Tesla into it to keep it afloat?

Yeah, maybe. He did sell $3,600,000,000.00 worth of Tesla stock at the end of last year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qai/2022/12/29/elon-musk-sells-another-36-billion-in-tesla-stock-to-prop-up-twitter/?sh=488072956993

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
For the good of FREE SPEECH and an open Marketplace of Ideas I will shoulder the burden of the cursed goatman, and when I see him I will seethe, and know that I am owned forever more. For I cannot block, I can only be triggered. This is my curse.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Vegetable posted:

so did you end up on some block lists or did your e-crush block you or something? Cause this feels so oddly specific and personal, especially the last part sounds a little bit ominous.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Lol do you seriously think not being able to block someone is a good idea? You're trolling right?

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
I got blocked by JRR Tolkien's granddaughter for tweeting 'dildo baggins' and for that reason I think everyone should be allowed to be harassed on the twitter website

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
Really not looking forward to Graham Linehan loving up my twitter feed again.

lol jk I'm not checking that poo poo anymore

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Stex T posted:

Really not looking forward to Graham Linehan loving up my twitter feed again.

lol jk I'm not checking that poo poo anymore

Dw he’s too busy doing „standup sets” in the middle of the street and breaking down halfway through because the evil transes took his wife away

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Ah yes. "You will own nothing, and be happy about it" is the rallying cry of Tesla fans.

Wait.....

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Steadiman posted:

so did you end up on some block lists or did your e-crush block you or something? Cause this feels so oddly specific and personal, especially the last part sounds a little bit ominous.
I was blocked from viewing the tweet of a former professor from my alma mater. My account is completely inactive and follows only some sporting personalities, news sources and a few other random accounts. The professor did leave my alma mater in pretty acrimonious terms so I wonder if it was as simple as me following the university’s account.

I’ll accept that the feature does avoid chuds from brigading your account and hadn’t thought about that angle. But other times it’s something as random as the situation I’m describing :shrug:

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Zoobtro posted:

remember that brief period where elon was kinda cool?

I do not

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Zoobtro posted:

remember that brief period where elon was kinda cool?

what?
he was responsible for the 2nd worst Simpsons episode of all time.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Vegetable posted:

I was blocked from viewing the tweet of a former professor from my alma mater. My account is completely inactive and follows only some sporting personalities, news sources and a few other random accounts. The professor did leave my alma mater in pretty acrimonious terms so I wonder if it was as simple as me following the university’s account.

I’ll accept that the feature does avoid chuds from brigading your account and hadn’t thought about that angle. But other times it’s something as random as the situation I’m describing :shrug:

did you make a new account to look at your former professor's twitter?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Elon owned by Community Notes yet again :allears:

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I remember when he turned up in Iron Man 2. It was one of the worst things about Iron Man 2, which is an achievement, because it was Iron Man 2.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

...! posted:

Elon owned by Community Notes yet again :allears:

I'm sure he totally won't delete those Community Notes again like the last time he got wrecked by Notes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

egg_dog posted:

I got blocked by JRR Tolkien's granddaughter for tweeting 'dildo baggins' and for that reason I think everyone should be allowed to be harassed on the twitter website

For me, it was Alf photoshopped into Gandalf’s costume and jerking it

Cancel Culture has gone too far this time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Raylax posted:

I remember when he turned up in Iron Man 2. It was one of the worst things about Iron Man 2, which is an achievement, because it was Iron Man 2.

Little did we know at the time that Mickey Rourke would be the less strange big shirtless guy associated with that movie

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Does this mean I can just reply to every one of Elon's tweets with photos of Grimes living a happy life with her new girlfriend and there's nothing he can do about it?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mega64 posted:

Does this mean I can just reply to every one of Elon's tweets with photos of Grimes living a happy life with her new girlfriend and there's nothing he can do about it?

Elon will still be blocking people but for the whole site

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

so how are his idiot fanboys justifying this

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Mega64 posted:

He's like Lowtax, he'll just ban you.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
once elon removes blocking i'm going to wage a hellacious campaign of posting against those who SILENCED me! deal with me!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

SRQ posted:

I think even the blue checks realize how bad of an idea this is

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tarkus posted:

He's like Lowtax, he'll just ban you.

Still waiting for him to get to the other big thing Lowtax is known for these days, and not talking about the domestic abuse or fancy cookies.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SRQ posted:

By saying “you still have mute” :smug:

And also by turning it around, saying the people who are upset about it are the assholes

quote:

How is it different than mute? Are you saying the key feature for you is making sure the person knows you are not listening to them? Sounds rather petty.

The obvious thing here is that muting someone won’t stop them from seeing what you tweet and brigading your replies and followers.

Which is exactly Elon’s intention of course, with the added benefit that you can’t block his advertisers

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol "blocking is pointless" you know I used to believe this too...when I was an annoying loving griefer that just wanted to hurt people.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SRQ posted:

Vegetable posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Tie yourself to one of their doors, Laura - maybe that'll get you that extra $16