Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
The Jones thing with regards to text messages, as I recall it, is that during the first Sandy Hook trial, he was in the courtroom early on during the beginning of the trial. He was talking to the HBO documentarian, but court was still setting up and the YouTube livestream was already on. People who were watching it claim Jones told the documentarian "they don't have my texts," in reference to how he purposefully stonewalled the trial and refused to participate in the discovery process. This is what was claimed to have happened, but as the YouTube livestream is not an official court record, there isn't any "legal" evidence Jones actually said the thing people heard him say. (... not that it matters, because the "Perry Mason moment" rendered it a moot point anyway.)

The texts that were "discovered" as a result of that predate anything related to Jan 6th by about two years, though.

The current best-operating-theory is that Jones himself was low on the totem pole regarding the attempted insurrection. Jones and his media operation was a resource for those higher up to move around and direct as needed, which is why Stone and Cheesebro are seen nearby at a frequent rate. Jones wouldn't have been responsible for anything himself. If any racketeering suits were filed, he might need to worry then; but he was in DC on the day of, and right now only Georgia is going down the RICO route.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Bible posted:

Yeah, I get that, but even at much lower tiers, poor people really do have a significant disadvantage in court. I guess it was just jarring to see a lawyer actually laugh about it.

I mean, I wouldn't expect him to work for free, but a little recognition and empathy for the fact that the poor really are underrepresented would go a long way.

People are laughing about it because "oops, my MyCrimes.txt is 10 million pages long" is the very definition of a self-inflicted injury. It's like if you gun someone down in broad daylight in front of a thousand people, and then complain to the judge that hundreds of eyewitness interviews are too much to go through in discovery.

If you're having discovery problems because the government has too much evidence of your crimes and it's overwhelming your lawyers, then discovery is the least of your problems.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Minority Report was right all along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVGQHw9jrsk

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

bird food bathtub posted:

Google-fu is failing me so I'm going off vague memory, wasn't there something in Jones' trial where he said something along the line of "They got all of my texts? Even the senator?"
i know jones said on his show something about "being in contact with the white house" about january 6th which everyone blew off as bluster

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

To be clear I do think people with healthy brains have something in the ballpark of free will. But very few criminal defendants are people with healthy brains. Trump sure as hell isn't. Basically anybody making the active decision to do a crime probably has something wrong with their brain. Sometimes you get a client who is such a gigantic rear end in a top hat that it's functionally a competency issue but that should count

For a variety of reasons it's probably not a good idea to tie mental illness with committing crimes. If that's not what you're going for then I apologize for misinterpreting, but it does sound like that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

InsertPotPun posted:

i know jones said on his show something about "being in contact with the white house" about january 6th which everyone blew off as bluster

He also said he was in telepathic contact with Trump so maybe don’t believe Alex.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

To be clear I do think people with healthy brains have something in the ballpark of free will. But very few criminal defendants are people with healthy brains. Trump sure as hell isn't. Basically anybody making the active decision to do a crime probably has something wrong with their brain. Sometimes you get a client who is such a gigantic rear end in a top hat that it's functionally a competency issue but that should count

What about people who speed, j walk, shoplift and cheat on their taxes?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Grip it and rip it posted:

Those are technically unknowable. The precogs canonically can only predict murders because of the psychic power of the event. Minor crimes don't generate powerful enough psychic energy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Angry_Ed posted:

For a variety of reasons it's probably not a good idea to tie mental illness with committing crimes. If that's not what you're going for then I apologize for misinterpreting, but it does sound like that.

Statistically speaking, people with mental illness are more likely to be crime victims than perpetrators. Like, far and away.

But once you select for the group of (people charged with crime)(I don't like the word "criminals" there's no such class), that group has disproportionately high rates of various kinds of brain disorder, whether that's just plain low IQ, mental illness, traumatic brain injury, addiction (if we're counting that as a brain disorder, which we probably should), past history of trauma, etc.

We have to be able to talk about how the legal system preferentially traumatizes the vulnerable. That doesn't mean people who have mental illness are more likely to be criminals. Get your venn diagrams out here, folks.

People who get arrested for speeding are usually just driving while the wrong skin color OR high as balls / young / loving stupid.

People who get arrested for jaywalking are just walking while poor or black, white people and rich people don't get arrested for that ever

Shoplifting is either kids being dumb OR the saddest loving thing you'll ever see, there's a reason the Walgreens' puts the baby formula in a locking cabinet, the real crime is that people need to steal food at all in this country, fund food stamps (EDIT: actually a lot of shoplifting charges are people stealing meat because drug dealers will often accept steaks for drugs. So, addiction).

cheating on your taxes is unnecessary if you can afford a half-competent lawyer so again a crime of stupidity

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 18, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Morroque posted:

The current best-operating-theory is that Jones himself was low on the totem pole regarding the attempted insurrection. Jones and his media operation was a resource for those higher up to move around and direct as needed, which is why Stone and Cheesebro are seen nearby at a frequent rate. Jones wouldn't have been responsible for anything himself. If any racketeering suits were filed, he might need to worry then; but he was in DC on the day of, and right now only Georgia is going down the RICO route.
Chesebro directing Jones' movements in any provable way would wrap all of this up very quickly. Any theory on that front is something to be very cautious of (the fastmoving iteration I've seen is that Chesebro raised his hat twice while watching Jones :tinfoil:)

The longerstanding Jones theory is the one I alluded to earlier. Joe Biggs, his former employee, was a leader of the Proud Boys attack and tore down the barriers on East plaza minutes before Jones (and Shroyer and Chesebro) arrived with their crowd. The theorizing is that this wasn't random, and Jones' role was, as you note, to use his legitimacy(?) to bring extra bodies for the Proud Boys

(Who themselves, a level deeper in the fever swamps, were coordinating with Roger Stone to serve as distraction and the initial force to tip things over the edge so that the Oath Keepers could double back and get their arsenal to use against any capitol police and military who dared defend Pence and the congresspeople)

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Chesebro directing Jones' movements in any provable way would wrap all of this up very quickly. Any theory on that front is something to be very cautious of (the fastmoving iteration I've seen is that Chesebro raised his hat twice while watching Jones :tinfoil:)

There is already documented evidence of Jones's actions being directed by Roger Stone and Ali Alexander, both on the day of and at several points in the months beforehand. Kenneth Chesebro is a relatively new face in this regard, and the sources who study Jones more seriously haven't really had a chance to notice him. It's not impossible that Kenneth was involved, but it would've needed to be at a level at least twice removed.

But again, Chesebro is only on the hook for stuff done in Georgia. His actions in DC on the day of, while interesting and incriminating in some respects, might be a separate matter entirely.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

We have to be able to talk about how the legal system preferentially traumatizes the vulnerable. That doesn't mean people who have mental illness are more likely to be criminals. Get your venn diagrams out here, folks.
Dude, you're the one bringing up this weird phrenology-adjacent "Maybe criminals are actually just mentally predisposed to be criminal" nonsense.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

KillHour posted:

This is my problem with the whole thing. I was asked earlier what I would change and my answer is probably "everyone gets a public defender and the government pays for all legal defense in the same way they pay for all prosecution." It's not a great solution because it feels wrong that you can't contribute towards your own defense monetarily, but it's the only thing that seems remotely fair.

Do you not realize the implications of the idea that if the government decides to put you in a cage the only people allowed to defend you are the government?

Thousands, if not millions, of people have died trying to free us from systems that work like that.

It's like saying the answer to corrupt Congress critters is going back to having a king.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Dude, you're the one bringing up this weird phrenology-adjacent "Maybe criminals are actually just mentally predisposed to be criminal" nonsense.

No, I'm not. That's not remotely what I said, and if you think it is, you are wrong.

America's three largest mental health hospitals all happen to be prisons.

The reason for that is not that people who have mental health challenges are somehow uniquely criminal. People with mental illness are far more likely to be crime victims than the general population.

For the same reasons, though, those people tend to also be victimized by our legal system, so they end up behind bars more often. Cops are more likely to be called on them, more likely to abuse them when they respond. They're less able to defend themselves in court, less likely to be able to complete diversion programs, on and on and on.

The net effect is that when you look at people who end up behind bars a wildly disproportionate number have some form of disability (mental, intellectual, etc). It has nothing to do with "phrenology" or the concept of a class of people who are "criminals." It's just that our legal system punishes the vulnerable and they're vulnerable so they get more punished than everyone else does.

The concept underlying the word "criminal" is fairly bankrupt. Nobody is "a criminal." But virtually anybody is just one really bad day away from an arrest, and people with more difficulties have more bad days, and when they have bad days, they tend to be worse days than other people's. Most people who get arrested, it's a combination of bad luck and bad choices and usually those bad choices had trauma, disability, etc., as contributing factors.

I mean, "the mentally ill" aren't a distinct class. Virtually everyone has some form of mental illness at some point in their lives. Anyone can get a brain injury. Virtually everyone has some degree of trauma history.

But the more checkboxes you mark on the trauma scale the more likely you are to find yourself arrested later in life. Not because of any inherent "criminality" but just because the legal system is a system for punishing the vulnerable and the more vulnerable you are the more likely it is to punish you. The more you've already suffered the weaker and more vulnerable you are and that makes it easier for the system to inflict suffering on you the next time.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 19, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Why do you think people get arrested?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Main Paineframe posted:

People are laughing about it because "oops, my MyCrimes.txt is 10 million pages long" is the very definition of a self-inflicted injury. It's like if you gun someone down in broad daylight in front of a thousand people, and then complain to the judge that hundreds of eyewitness interviews are too much to go through in discovery.

If you're having discovery problems because the government has too much evidence of your crimes and it's overwhelming your lawyers, then discovery is the least of your problems.

To be fair, I'm also laughing at the idea of putting price tags on all the costs for Trump's Defense like it matters if the bill is $0 or $10 Billion.

Trump isn't getting a real rich guy defense. He's getting a bunch of crazy people who think that they'll be the one person that ol' Donnie finally pays. It's a clown car of criminals and incompetents. An actual public defender' office would almost certainly field a better team.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Gyges posted:

To be fair, I'm also laughing at the idea of putting price tags on all the costs for Trump's Defense like it matters if the bill is $0 or $10 Billion.

Trump isn't getting a real rich guy defense. He's getting a bunch of crazy people who think that they'll be the one person that ol' Donnie finally pays. It's a clown car of criminals and incompetents. An actual public defender' office would almost certainly field a better team.

Didn't at least one lawyer get a 7 figure retainer from Trump? I'm sure there are still a few true believers out there, but I'm sure there are also plenty of at least decent lawyers who will take the case for a truck full of money up front.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Gyges posted:

It seems like his Ga attorney is competent enough on small cases. Whether hes up to something as big and complex as this, I couldn't say, but hes not an idiot I don't think .

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

It seems like his Ga attorney is competent enough on small cases. Whether hes up to something as big and complex as this, I couldn't say, but hes not an idiot I don't think .

If he didn't get his fee up front he is.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shooting Blanks posted:

Didn't at least one lawyer get a 7 figure retainer from Trump? I'm sure there are still a few true believers out there, but I'm sure there are also plenty of at least decent lawyers who will take the case for a truck full of money up front.

I forget his name but he got 3m up front, told Donald "cooperate with the feds in all particulars in the document case and beg for mercy". Donald said "no" and the lawyer said "okay I'll be over here if you need me".

Kise I believe? I'm not up on his involvement in the current situations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Gyges posted:

Wasn't there an article a few weeks back that Trump has been draining his PAC on legal defenses? Something like 90% of the funds had been used for it?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

This is defending a former President against charges of trying to overthrow the government, and of major national security violations et al.

You want to get the platinum level superstar of all time to defend you, this is straight to the history books.

Trump doesn’t have access to those people any more because 1) he doesn’t pay and 2) he suborns his attorneys into becoming co-conspirators and 3) they have already worked for him in his administration and realize he’s loving nuts and a danger to America.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

To be fair, at this point I basically have a fundamental objection to the concept of "fault" and "punishment."
Punishment is real, but fault is an illusion. Punishment objectively (can) affect the behaviour of learning systems (that are capable of receiving punishment). But fault requires us to artificially segment causality within and outside human beings.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I forget his name but he got 3m up front, told Donald "cooperate with the feds in all particulars in the document case and beg for mercy". Donald said "no" and the lawyer said "okay I'll be over here if you need me".

Kise I believe? I'm not up on his involvement in the current situations.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I think he got moved off to other legal work shortly afterward, but at least he got paid up front, and is likely smart enough to simply stop working the moment an invoice doesn't get paid.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think you're reading too much into what I said. Private E-discovery firms rarely deal with criminal cases with large teams. There's just not a ton of criminal cases that require enormous review teams for the defense. The vast majority of cases that require large amounts of discovery are civil suits between two corporations, mergers, or data breaches which require notification of users.

In the really odd event where an indigent client is faced with an 11.5 million-page production by the government they would either file a motion with the court that the prosecution didn't do a proper review of the documents and just dumped tons of crap on them to get them to redo it. Or, if it was a legit production, they would get the time and resources needed to review it since the defendant would have a constitutional right to a defense.

Alright, sorry for assuming maliciousness on your part. The post was super helpful for us non-lawyer types, btw.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Paracaidas posted:

This shouldn't get lost in thread bullshit - they've got Chesebro with Jones and Owen Shroyer in the restricted area on Jan 6. A big question since that day is if there was anything more than the tweets and Ellipse speech preceeding it and the phone calls to take advantage of it to tie Trump to the riot. That they're on video together doesn't prove anything on its own, but it's the first time this direct a path has opened.

For context, by this point insurrectionists have been in the restricted area for 45 minutes. Tear gas grenades were launched half an hour ago. It is right as the alert text is sent telling those in the Cannon building to "take visitors, escape hoods, and go kits and report to the South Tunnel connecting to the Longworth"

As Marcy Wheeler notes they did not have a permit for a crowd of this size, and did not make their way to a permitted stage. Their stated reasoning for roaming to the other side of the Capitol:

There is an alternative theory for why Jones, Shroyer, and we now know Chesebro led their crowd to the other side: Because they were no longer needed on the West side but there was still work to do out East.

Something fascinating happens just before 2:10pm:

I have no idea what Chesebro shows Jones' security. From the Capitol Police's timeline, here is what's happening at the moment.
  • 1:59 pm: Insurrectionists breach a barrier at the north side of the plaza.
  • 2:00 pm: Assistant COP Pittman orders lockdown of U.S. Capitol Building
  • 2:02 pm: Shelter in Place text for Rayburn and Longworth buildings
  • 2:06 pm: Insurrectionists breach Rotunda steps. USCP deploys 10 units with shields up
    to the Rotunda door to hold the line.
  • 2:08 pm: insurrectionists breach House Plaza coming from the south side of the U.S.
    Capitol building.
  • 2:08 pm: Assistant Chief Pittman orders Capitol Complex wide lockdown.
  • 2:11 pm: USCP personnel and USSS escort VP Pence from Senate Chambers.
  • 2:15 pm: USCP DPD units evacuate House and Senate Leadership
Could whatever Chesebro shows be related to any of the items above? Possibly? It's nothing I'd stake my life on.

I want to be clear that I'm (at minimum) budging up against tinfoil, corkboard, and yarn territory here. What makes this so interesting is that along with the Jan 6 committee and Jack Smith, a lot of the most :tinfoil: libs on the internet have focused on the Willard Hotel to try and tie Trump (through Rudy, Eastman, and phone call) to the Capitol (through Bannon through his associates and through Roger Stone's ties to the Oath Keepers).

But for the first time, we have proof that Jones' team - who've led a crowd from a breached door to the unbreached side - is in direct contact with someone who knows the plan to invalidate the election, to pressure Pence, and who has already committed crimes to attempt to take advantage of the irregularities and delay currently being caused. I cannot stress enough that for all we know, he was sharing cat memes with Jones' security (whomst among us?). But:

For the first time, we have evidence that a member of the conspiracy was in the restricted area, on the steps, communicating with on-site leaders who were 'directing traffic', on Jan 6 while Pence and Congress were being evacuated and the building breached

To what end?

This doesn't make any sense.

Where are Soros communications telling all the Antifa hoards to commit violence?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

This is defending a former President against charges of trying to overthrow the government, and of major national security violations et al.

You want to get the platinum level superstar of all time to defend you, this is straight to the history books.

Trump doesn’t have access to those people any more because 1) he doesn’t pay and 2) he suborns his attorneys into becoming co-conspirators and 3) they have already worked for him in his administration and realize he’s loving nuts and a danger to America.

Even if he did pay and didn't turn his lawyers into co-conspirators, the man is mentally/physically incapable of shutting the gently caress up in a case that is built nearly entirely off the previous instances of him not shutting the gently caress up.

Fighting a historic lawsuit, even with long odds, could probably entice some good fame hungry lawyers. An impossible case, where the client just keeps criming, while refusing to allow any defence that doesn't paint him as the greatest, most beloved man in history, is far less enticing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Artificial Kid posted:

Punishment is real, but fault is an illusion. Punishment objectively (can) affect the behaviour of learning systems (that are capable of receiving punishment). But fault requires us to artificially segment causality within and outside human beings.

Yeah, but there's a reason that professional animal trainers generally frown on negative reinforcement techniques these days and use only positive reinforcement. Negatice reinforcement is unpredictable and causes aide effect behaviors. The attempt to punish can change behavior but all you do is create an incentive to avoid the punishment not an incentive to actually behave positively in the desired way.

Anyway sorry for the derail. Trump is basically a flatworm

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Gyges posted:

Even if he did pay and didn't turn his lawyers into co-conspirators, the man is mentally/physically incapable of shutting the gently caress up in a case that is built nearly entirely off the previous instances of him not shutting the gently caress up.

Fighting a historic lawsuit, even with long odds, could probably entice some good fame hungry lawyers. An impossible case, where the client just keeps criming, while refusing to allow any defence that doesn't paint him as the greatest, most beloved man in history, is far less enticing.

I'm reminded of a quote from some anonymous WH aide or lawyer which was basically "We were having an emergency meeting on how to control the message on [insert bad news] and Trump just...said it. On live TV/Twitter."

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Paracaidas, your post was a joy to read. Thank you.

The brain is the product of its environment, people in unhealthy environments (the various poverties, abuse, neglect, basic needs unmet) exhibit trauma, same as a bruised tomato. What is "wrong with their brain" is that it has suffered abuse and/or neglect, resulting in lasting traumas.

If you, for analogy, plant a tomato seed in spring, and the plant that grows suffers neither abuse nor neglect, all its basic needs met - you will get delicious fruit.

Inevitably.

I believe, as firmly as i hold any belief, in the universality of human genius. As sure as i am that tomato seeds yield fruit.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 19, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/KellDA/status/1692660244852142279
Seven?

NY hush money
NY civil case
NY defamation case
DC Jan 6th case
FL docs case
GA RICO case

Which case am I missing?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Charlz Guybon posted:

Seven?

NY hush money
NY civil case
NY defamation case
DC Jan 6th case
FL docs case
GA RICO case

Which case am I missing?

When all these cases have been heard, all the evidence and testimony entered into the public record, there will be a higher charge with relatively few discovery documents.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

Wasn't there an article a few weeks back that Trump has been draining his PAC on legal defenses? Something like 90% of the funds had been used for it?

This is 100% true by the way. His Super PAC is down to, in the context of these things, absolute peanuts, and that was before this hit.

Per NYT Article:

NYT posted:

In February 2022, the PAC said it had $122 million in cash on hand. By the beginning of this year, that number was down to $18 million, filings show. More than $16 million of the money spent went to legal bills — some for witnesses in the investigations, but mostly to firms representing Mr. Trump.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Uglycat posted:

When all these cases have been heard, all the evidence and testimony entered into the public record, there will be a higher charge with relatively few discovery documents.

The hand of God will appear before Trump and inscribe this indictment:

MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN

Your days are numbered. You have been weighed in the balance and found wanting. Your kingdom will be divided amongst your enemies.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Morroque posted:

But again, Chesebro is only on the hook for stuff done in Georgia. His actions in DC on the day of, while interesting and incriminating in some respects, might be a separate matter entirely.

Chesebro is one of the unindicted co-conspirators in the DC case. He planned and wrote a lot of the strategy and methods of what happened. Including stuff to the effect that there should be a raging mob to help influence decision making by fence sitters.

So, him being in DC and at the riot apparently directing the motions of at least some of the mob through Jones is pretty directly relevant to that case and directly ties back to Trump.

It’s the first evidence that Trump may have had more to do with the violence that it previously appeared.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Trumps legal defense fund page got hacked.

https://patriotlegaldefensefund.com/

quote:

DO NOT SUPPORT DONALD TRUMP'S FRAUDULENT

PATRIOT LEGAL DEFENSE FUND

In our country, everyone has to follow the rules, no matter who they are. Our Constitution, the big rule book of our nation, says that we're all equal. Nobody gets special treatment.

I want to talk a bit about lying. A lie is when someone doesn't tell the truth on purpose. It's like saying you ate an apple when you really ate a cookie. Lying is bad because it breaks trust. Imagine if your friends didn't believe you anymore because you lied a lot. In some cases, like when people lie to the courts or the police, it's not just bad, it's a crime.

Before we dive deeper, it's essential to understand what personal character means.

It goes on.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Uglycat posted:

The brain is the product of its environment, people in unhealthy environments (the various poverties, abuse, neglect, basic needs unmet) exhibit trauma, same as a bruised tomato. What is "wrong with their brain" is that it has suffered abuse and/or neglect, resulting in lasting traumas.

I have a theory that the last really seriously meaningful decision Donald Trump made in his entire life was "I would like to be the kind of person that Fred Trump would wish to make his heir" and everything else has followed from the hollow shell that came from that.

in military boarding shool he was a bit of a dickhead, but a dickhead in normal human ways who enjoyed normal human things, and lots of people have gone through that experience without becoming, well, you know

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Seven?

NY hush money
NY civil case
NY defamation case
DC Jan 6th case
FL docs case
GA RICO case

Which case am I missing?

Is he genuinely leading in any polls that matter or is it just the ones that are him vs the 6~ piles of poo poo with ties who have have single digit support for the Republican nomination?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Charlz Guybon posted:

Seven?

NY hush money
NY civil case
NY defamation case
DC Jan 6th case
FL docs case
GA RICO case

Which case am I missing?

This one. I hadn't heard about it either until I saw this Maddow piece.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1688969803120144384?t=VD_s2_vw5Rdhl1EVYstbnQ&s=19

Basically he was the spokesman for a scam company. It was for video phones (back before FaceTime was a thing) and people gave the company money for the opportunity to sell these crappy phones to other people.

Problem was, the video feature only worked if the other person also had this exact video phone. So of course nobody bought them and these people were left with a garage full of stupid expensive video phones that nobody wants.

Maddow explains it better than I do in that clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The Flying Milton posted:

Is he genuinely leading in any polls that matter or is it just the ones that are him vs the 6~ piles of poo poo with ties who have have single digit support for the Republican nomination?

Yes. He will be the Republican nominee. They don't care about his crimes.