Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Grassy Knowles posted:

To give elon one single thing, his changes to twitter have caused more system outages than y2k ever did.

I swear, I've been on Twitter in one way or another, without breaks -- I don't know exactly how long, but at least 2009 -- and my Twitter has been hacked exactly one time: four days ago. Elon has done such a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh man you just know they got money hidden in that gamecube

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Heavenly

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'd bust my toes on that tower, and smash my knees into that fuckin' keyboard tray.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I had a weird era where I tried to pretend I was "too cool" for any popular music, so I've spent a lot of my late 20s and now 30s rediscovering the music of this era (and the 90s, but this isn't the 90s thread). Of special hate at the time was Linkin Park, cus it seemed the most mockable. Now I really like In The End, which was thrust in front of me a few years ago because of a cover by NateWantsToBattle and notable "Hey remember this from the 2000s" person Egoraptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWVrgeFCwmY

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Neito posted:

I had a weird era where I tried to pretend I was "too cool" for any popular music, so I've spent a lot of my late 20s and now 30s rediscovering the music of this era (and the 90s, but this isn't the 90s thread). Of special hate at the time was Linkin Park, cus it seemed the most mockable. Now I really like In The End, which was thrust in front of me a few years ago because of a cover by NateWantsToBattle and notable "Hey remember this from the 2000s" person Egoraptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWVrgeFCwmY

I'm the same. I'm ambivalent about it, but being a teenager can often be about figuring poo poo out and forging your own path, and I found my tribe eventually. One thing I'm weirdly nostalgic for is mildly-angsty girl music like Lisa Loeb or Alanis Morisette. poo poo sounded good on the radio!

I was actually mocked by my friends for buying Hybrid Theory, because Linkin Park weren't brütal enough or whatever. I honestly haven't given Linkin Park much thought since.

This is straddling 90s and 2000s, but was anyone else here an X-Entertainment poster? My first home on the Internet was there, and I remember all the "cool" posters talked about Something Awful (and then got banned for slurs).

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Aug 17, 2023

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

mildly-angsty girl music like Lisa Loeb or Alanis Morisette

I didn’t appreciate it at the time, but man did Alanis have some vitriol in You Oughta Know

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

root beer posted:

I didn’t appreciate it at the time, but man did Alanis have some vitriol in You Oughta Know

I think this stuff just filled a nice niche - even stuff like Alicia's Attic. It wasn't so abrasive that it was refined to rock radio or alternative radio, but just crunchy and universal enough to sound grown up on pop radio and I don't think it's really got a modern analogue. Bands like Momma and Beebadoobee maybe draw on it, but they're much more niche (although I think Beebadoobee is quite popular, I'm not sure).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Speaker posted:

I feel both of these points. I did mock a lot of popular music in highschool but came around to it pretty quickly. I sort of feel the same way about American Idiot, we made fun of Green Day 'selling out' but in retrospect that album is an anthemic masterpiece and who gives a gently caress about selling out anyway.
I was completely put off American Idiot (the album) by American Idiot (the song). It was the first single, it got played non-loving-stop, and I didn't care for it. Still don't. The rest of the album? Fantastic. And I loved Boulevard of Broken Dreams when it came out as a single, but I never listened to the rest of the album (at the time) because of the association with the title track. Obviously I would have heard the other singles on the radio when they came out, but none of them were as popular as the first two.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Wanna degauss that monitor.

KA-POOOOING

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Holy they have the superfecta: GameCube, XBOX OG, PS2 and Dreamcast!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Animal-Mother posted:

Wanna degauss that monitor.

KA-POOOOING

I never got to degauss a monitor :smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Der-Wreck posted:

Holy they have the superfecta: GameCube, XBOX OG, PS2 and Dreamcast!

And a Wavebird. I bet the GC is connected to the TV via component video, too.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I never got to degauss a monitor :smith:

In the Summer of 2001 I worked at a company that did gaussing. We'd go into people's homes and offices and just gauss the poo poo out of those VDUs. A few times we almost got caught but we always had an armed guard with us and a clean-up crew on standby outside in a Hemmon Kuljetus van, so the people who saw us just disappeared.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Sep 11, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Disco Pope posted:

This is straddling 90s and 2000s, but was anyone else here an X-Entertainment poster? My first home on the Internet was there, and I remember all the "cool" posters talked about Something Awful (and then got banned for slurs).
Yep. Found it in like March of 2000 and was hooked. The Ivan Ooze Knuckle Extruder was the poo poo.

Also, being a dumb teen, I feel supremely bad that I didn't have a more critical eye towards how the forum behaviors affected matt. Dude didn't deserve all that drama.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I never touched the forums but I read X-E for a long time and it was a pretty big influence on me even though Im too young to relate to 80s nostalgia. I'm glad he's having success on social media as Dinosaur Dracula.

I found XE through I-Mockery which I found through some kind of webcircle, christ

The guy at imockery stopped writing when his wife died and the memorial he posted for her is loving heartbreaking

e: personally I found Something Awful through the Lemon Demon forums since Neil Cicierega was a goon at one point iirc

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Sep 11, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Rog has been on an ashes-spreading journey for his wife ever since she died. I feel so bad for him, he's a sweet guy and she seems like she meant everything to him. It sounds like he's still not coping super well, but I haven't checked on his updates for a while. I used to post on the forums there a lot

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

FilthyImp posted:

Dude didn't deserve all that drama.

Agreed. He deserved worse.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

FilthyImp posted:

Yep. Found it in like March of 2000 and was hooked. The Ivan Ooze Knuckle Extruder was the poo poo.

Also, being a dumb teen, I feel supremely bad that I didn't have a more critical eye towards how the forum behaviors affected matt. Dude didn't deserve all that drama.

Agreed (but also glad he seems to be doing well). It was a real rude awakening for me as a sheltered, online white-kid, because it became increasingly apparent a lot of those people weren't being ironic or just "edgy".

One incredibly 2000s thing is just the way humour changed during that decade - maybe its always been the way, but we seemed to start with quite mean-spirited humour and end it with something a bit more self-aware and reflexive.

The early 2000s seemed like a really "edgy" time all in all, but in a really adolescent way.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

Agreed (but also glad he seems to be doing well). It was a real rude awakening for me as a sheltered, online white-kid, because it became increasingly apparent a lot of those people weren't being ironic or just "edgy".

One incredibly 2000s thing is just the way humour changed during that decade - maybe its always been the way, but we seemed to start with quite mean-spirited humour and end it with something a bit more self-aware and reflexive.

The early 2000s seemed like a really "edgy" time all in all, but in a really adolescent way.

The hosed thing is that at the time, that all felt progressive because we all grew up in the hangover of the Reagan moral majority years and that didn't stop in the 90s, maybe subsided a little bit but there were organized book burnings of Harry Potter around here when it came out, the first time Bart Simpson said "Eat my shorts, man" it was a national scandal on par with Nipplegate, "butt" was a four letter word that I saw multiple people principal's office'd over for failing to refer to "Beavis and His Friend" and then suddenly here is this completely uncontrolled unsupervised wild goddamn west in all of our living rooms where we can just be free, maaaaan

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Disco Pope posted:

It's the result of spreading one's creative wings when you're suddenly given a new platform that's unmoderated, or less moderated. The first thing you want to say is all the stuff that you couldn't before.

Cable went off into a crass direction in the 90s because the FCC no longer controlled everything on television. And then the internet comes along and the userbase (predominantly young, male, middle-class, socially marginalized) has a platform where they could say ANYTHING without consequence. Plus there was a lot of awful poo poo going on to cope with. School shootings, 9/11, two wars, and an evangelical political party that's justifying it all.

It also helped that for most of us, those things were abstract, distant crises. It wasn't like the 80s and early 90s when the problems of the time were in our own neighborhoods, when there were recessions and crime rates hitting historic highs. By the time we see things in the media....they're no longer real, if that makes any sense. It's like pop culture got edgier with each passing year as irl crime became less common. It was an escape from the increasing mundanity of the real world, and when the real world was a violent hellworld we wanted wholesome family sitcoms.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The living room thing is more than just a change in family values. The people on this forum are witnesses to a major turning point in human history itself - the rise of personal computers and especially the internet is just a straight up industrial revolution level event. We haven't even gotten to the point where things are stable yet, so who knows how it'll all and up

A good chunk of my early 2000s was spent on irc and telnet-based mucks. I even paid for editplus specifically because it allowed 2-dimensional text highlighting which I used when working on ascii art

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It is literally impossible to overstate the influence of Matt Groening and Seth McFarlane on 1999-2005 youth culture

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If you wanted to use The Computer, you had to go to The Computer Room.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Given what today is, is posting Tribute.wmv bannable/in bad taste?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shame on an IGA posted:

It is literally impossible to overstate the influence of Matt Groening and Seth McFarlane on 1999-2005 youth culture

Trey Park and Matt Stone as well.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Neito posted:

CommanderApaul posted:

https://youtu.be/VSyrFuAydD4?si=g6w_elEHuoQw0uWS

The original got taken down a couple years ago, but it's back baby!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Basically any class time I had in the library at my high school was spent on the computers, laughing at Maddox, TheOnion, RSDB and the SA main page.

These are all exellent points, thanks.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm not really smart enough to elucidate it, but I'm convinced that the rise in open antisemitism among millennial dudes - both in 'harmless' jest and the actual nazis we have now - is in large part attributed to South Park.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I think it was Maddox who wrote something about 'being a teenager is the last time society will forgive you for being a jerk so be a jerk while you still can' and I lived by it my entire teenage years

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Neito posted:

It is encouraged, I think

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And also Mike Judge, and they all sprungboard off each other into Adult Swim.

Even bigger was wrestling entering the "attitude era" and becoming as mainstream as ever. So in 1997 every teen or preeteen that was into South Park was also into the WWF or NWO.

From that year on my white classmates all did a hard split into either liking metal or hip-hop/R&B.

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm not really smart enough to elucidate it, but I'm convinced that the rise in open antisemitism among millennial dudes - both in 'harmless' jest and the actual nazis we have now - is in large part attributed to South Park.

"The actual nazis we have now" existed in the 90s and 2000s, you just had to watch the news to maybe find them. Instead of now, when you can simply open twitter and see all the concentrated antisemetism of the entire Anglosphere + EU.

Stormfront was put on an FBI watchlist 20 years ago because so many of their members went onto commit IRL hate crimes. HBO did a documentary (Hate dot com) about the rise in online hate groups, which is notable in the fact that it came out in the year 2000.

Anyway, as an 11 year-old I had taped and nearly memorized every episode of the first season of South Park. What's remarkable is that it included the Big Gay Al episode, of which I had no real understanding that being gay was a reference to a sexual orientation and understood it to mean he just....liked fashion? Was effeminate? Just kind of a goofball?

But yeah in middle school I heard and repeated gay slurs without connecting it to homosexuality, and once I did it no longer seemed like an insult and that was the end of that.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Neito posted:

How dare you try to cancel are heritage

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

I think it was Maddox who wrote something about 'being a teenager is the last time society will forgive you for being a jerk so be a jerk while you still can' and I lived by it my entire teenage years

That’s all been cast to the wind now so go hog wild again!

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
I used to work at Korean airlines at DFW airport. September 11th we had a freighter inbound from Incheon which would stop at Anchorage for refueling, then fly down to LAX and then over to DFW as part of a twice a week cargo route.

So everything in New York happens, yada yada yada. The freighter has finished refueling at Anchorage and is now in the air headed to Los Angeles. I forget how we found out but we did learn that all flights have to be grounded in the United States airspace. Our office got a panicked call from Anchorage that they couldn't get a hold of the freighter.

What's important to keep in mind for this mental image is that there are no senior staff anywhere in this room at this moment. All executives and management are listening to something by the FBI at a different point in the building, everyone in this room is just a warehouse worker doing the best they can to get by in life.

We picked up the landline phone that would connect us to the plane directly, and the loadmaster gets us connected. None of us know Korean- but technically English is the universal language of aviation so we were hoping his English would be solid enough for him to understand the urgency in our voices. We are fervently trying to let him know that he needs to land the aircraft but his English was pretty bad, so he was just saying things like 'yeah, mmhmm, will be LAX soon, thank you'.

We're trying to tell him that he needs to land his aircraft NOW. The Anchorage airport office is shouting at us across the other line that they've received word that fighter craft have been scrambled from a nearby military base which will bring the aircraft down one way or the other. Of course this is the one time that we can't find anyone who speaks Korean at Korean airlines. We have this one guy running through the warehouse shouting out for someone from sales to come down here and get on the horn.

One of the sales guys finally makes it in the office and we get them on the phone and he's able to convey this message to the pilot and the freighter landed successfully without further incident.

Those were a very tense 10 minutes of my life. The day a bunch of nobody warehouse people averted an international incident on September 11th.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

Basically any class time I had in the library at my high school was spent on the computers, laughing at Maddox, TheOnion, RSDB and the SA main page.

This, but also MUDing and writing fanfiction.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

nullandvoid posted:

I used to work at Korean airlines at DFW airport. September 11th we had a freighter inbound from Incheon which would stop at Anchorage for refueling, then fly down to LAX and then over to DFW as part of a twice a week cargo route.

So everything in New York happens, yada yada yada. The freighter has finished refueling at Anchorage and is now in the air headed to Los Angeles. I forget how we found out but we did learn that all flights have to be grounded in the United States airspace. Our office got a panicked call from Anchorage that they couldn't get a hold of the freighter.

What's important to keep in mind for this mental image is that there are no senior staff anywhere in this room at this moment. All executives and management are listening to something by the FBI at a different point in the building, everyone in this room is just a warehouse worker doing the best they can to get by in life.

We picked up the landline phone that would connect us to the plane directly, and the loadmaster gets us connected. None of us know Korean- but technically English is the universal language of aviation so we were hoping his English would be solid enough for him to understand the urgency in our voices. We are fervently trying to let him know that he needs to land the aircraft but his English was pretty bad, so he was just saying things like 'yeah, mmhmm, will be LAX soon, thank you'.

We're trying to tell him that he needs to land his aircraft NOW. The Anchorage airport office is shouting at us across the other line that they've received word that fighter craft have been scrambled from a nearby military base which will bring the aircraft down one way or the other. Of course this is the one time that we can't find anyone who speaks Korean at Korean airlines. We have this one guy running through the warehouse shouting out for someone from sales to come down here and get on the horn.

One of the sales guys finally makes it in the office and we get them on the phone and he's able to convey this message to the pilot and the freighter landed successfully without further incident.

Those were a very tense 10 minutes of my life. The day a bunch of nobody warehouse people averted an international incident on September 11th.

TBF 9/11 or not the fighters would not have splashed a civilian aircraft as a first resort that far away from anything important , they would have instructed him to land and he would have done so and everyone goes home that night. Itchy trigger fingers aside I’m sure they don’t expect everything that just came over the pacific to know about the sudden continent wide no fly zone

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

nullandvoid posted:

You could almost say it was your own personal......................................................................................... 9/11. :grin:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Animal-Mother posted:

You could almost say it was your own personal......................................................................................... 9/11. :grin:

This doesn't fit the meter of the song at all!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

9/11 was America's 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vietnam was my 9-11.

So much so, that I bought a Porsche 911 just so I would never Forgert :patriot:

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Sep 14, 2023