Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Gout flared up in a big way so I asked to WFH as the bus stop is a mile's walk. Was told to take a sick day.
Company policy is "you're sick or you're not", ie don't work at all if you're unwell. Which I think is a great policy if you have a cold, but I just wanted an accommodation for a mobility issue. I was only due in one day this week and the others I was already going to WFH with my gross swollen toe so it made no sense. I don't know why I argued so much against it as they weren't going to dock my pay.
Anyway, I won in the end and didn't take a sick day.

I got a call my granny died so I took a bereavement day instead. :(

My sincere condolences man. Take care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Odddzy posted:

My sincere condolences man. Take care.
Thanks

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Shoehead posted:

It's the final day for my last remaining co worker asides from the boss today, and I just so happened to have tomorrow and Saturday booked off and my boss is taking it out on all her clients today! :woop:

How many people should you have in your team, ideally?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

Gout flared up in a big way so I asked to WFH as the bus stop is a mile's walk. Was told to take a sick day.
Company policy is "you're sick or you're not", ie don't work at all if you're unwell. Which I think is a great policy if you have a cold, but I just wanted an accommodation for a mobility issue. I was only due in one day this week and the others I was already going to WFH with my gross swollen toe so it made no sense. I don't know why I argued so much against it as they weren't going to dock my pay.
Anyway, I won in the end and didn't take a sick day.

I got a call my granny died so I took a bereavement day instead. :(

If you deal with gout in a recurring basis (as opposed to a on off or random thing), you're likely entitled to a reasonable accommodation. What you described seems very reasonable. It could help to provide a doctor's note supporting your need to WFH when dealing with flare-ups

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Atopian posted:

How many people should you have in your team, ideally?

It's a tattoo shop so everyone is kind of an individual. Started the year off with 3 other Co workers asides from the boss, 3 artists and 2 piercers. Ideally you'd want a shop manager for that many people but we just had to kind of split the role between us all for free, one of the many reasons this all fell apart.

I'm working very hard on following the others out the loving door. I'll be renting space in someone who just left's lovely new studio space, but piercing has a higher cost of entry and I've a few super pressing home and health things to sort out first before I end up self employed

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A couple years ago, because we still have plenty of PC monitors in use with no display port, some manager bought us a giant box of DP to DVI adapters since all our docking stations and thin clients use DP (just like my ex...sadly I wasn't one of the D's :smith:)
But, managers gonna manage, they bought some of the cheapest pieces of poo poo.

You never think you'd miss knurling and screw slots on the strain relief connectors until they're gone.

It's a massive PITA to try and screw these into monitors when there's no room for your fingers. And since so many of the users here like to have Ergotron sit/stand desks, the strain reliefs are actually needed or else they come loose from the frequent up/down motion and slight tugging (which is all I got from my ex)

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

You… you doin’ OK, bud?

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

giant box of DP to DVI adapters since all our docking stations and thin clients use DP (just like my ex...sadly I wasn't one of the D's :smith:)

:yikes:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Freaquency posted:

You… you doin’ OK, bud?

General Bullshit › Dumb poo poo your work does: I have never directly DP'd anyone

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Freaquency posted:

You… you doin’ OK, bud?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Takes No Damage posted:

General Bullshit › Dumb poo poo your work does: I have never directly DP'd anyone

Alternatively:

Dumb poo poo your work does: on a DPIP

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PPAP

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

peanut posted:

PPAP

I love ppap. Suppliers hate it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Who has a bunch of DVI only screens in tyool 2023 and decides to get DP to DVI adapters instead of throwing those antiques out and just getting screens made within the last decade? :psyduck:

If you're really pinching pennies you could probably have gotten refurbed screens with DP for less than what your company spent on those garbage adapter cables.

Sorry about your ex. But engaging in self harm like this is not the solution.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

On what planet can you buy monitors for less than the few bucks a very lovely adapter would cost

Show me the $5 monitors

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

General Bullshit › Dumb poo poo your work does: They were on an OPP plan

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Collateral Damage posted:

Who has a bunch of DVI only screens in tyool 2023 and decides to get DP to DVI adapters instead of throwing those antiques out and just getting screens made within the last decade? :psyduck:

If you're really pinching pennies you could probably have gotten refurbed screens with DP for less than what your company spent on those garbage adapter cables.

Sorry about your ex. But engaging in self harm like this is not the solution.

This place is the epitome of "penny-wise, pound-foolish" for desktop support. They finally got a manager who understands things better a few months ago, so hopefully we'll get on the right track.

But the previous...3(?) managers in just the five and a half years I've been here would blow the budget terribly because they'd keep doing small orders here and there of like five laptops, then a dozen monitors. The new guy was like "no, we'll place like one HUGE order for two hundred monitors and two dozen laptops to get volume discounts"

And don't worry about me, I was just having a jest. The thing with the ex was like 5 years ago, in a better place now...ugh, emotionally, not job-wise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Collateral Damage posted:

LMAO that's my wife's company right there. When COVID hit they sent everyone home with their laptops, and then after like six months when it was apparent that poo poo wasn't going back to normal, they let everyone come in to grab their monitors. I laughed when she brought it home, it was such a piece of garbage. 4:3 aspect ratio, I think it maxed out at 1024x768, DVI plug. The crazy thing is her laptop was broadly fine. Nothing amazing, but just a bog standard broadly respectable TYOOL 2020 Dell basic office workstation laptop.

After I finished laughing I threw that crap at the back of the closet, gave her my secondary monitor (an older 16:9 1080p), and used it as an excuse to buy a new primary monitor for myself.

The best part was that they made sure to get those ancient pieces of garbage returned. I thought for the longest time that it was her IT department finding a way to get rid of junk without paying for disposal but nope, they wanted them back.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My work told us to just expense a monitor from a list of recommendations. I got one, it was garbage. Eventually, I moved and did a home office setup with not-garbage monitors, and so I asked IT how they wanted me to get them the garbage one. They did not respond. So the next time I had to go into the office, I just left it on a desk in my team’s area, and it eventually disappeared.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dameius posted:

General Bullshit › Dumb poo poo your work does: They were on an OPP plan

a PTS plan(plane to singapore)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I’m no tech wizard but at the start of WFH covid work had only given me a not great Chromebook which made tasks painfully slow so I figured out how to connect with dual monitors from an old desktop I had, and later found out the dept that hands out better computers is super helpful & happy to provide equipment so I’ve upgraded since then.

About a year into WFH a coworker complained about the slow pace of their work from trying to do video editing & such from a Chromebook & that was surprising they had just put up with it, and neither them nor our leaders realized this person had much slower output & it was an easily fixable problem. Although that coworker barely does anything in the best of circumstances & has tried to get friendly folk who catch mistakes fired so I did not involve myself in their problem.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

dogg if you don’t reply until 1am on a saturday your task does not get done

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I still have a Chromebook my old job gave me to WFH at the start of the pandemic. I quit the job in early 2021. I've reached out to them 3 times asking how I can get it back to them (the local office has been gone since the start of the pandemic and I don't know the new HQ address so I can't mail it). All 3 times someone told me they'd get back to me and never did.

No one wants their Chromebooks back

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have to pay extra for that sort of special refuse

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Start sending them monthly invoices for storage fees.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Ok, but if that's so why does science journalism tell us all about how someone made a cold fusion happen (no really guys I saw it!) every single week or so?

I work with some pop science journalists and trust me, the entirety of the decision making process is 'how may clicks can I get for expanding this unreviewed study on the spread of trout STDs in fish farms into an article on "ten sexy fish facts you'll wish you never knew"'

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

McGavin posted:

Start sending them monthly invoices for storage fees.

I already had to file an Unpaid Wages claim with the state industrial commission to get my last 3 paychecks from this giant financial institution so I'm sure those would all just go in the bin

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

deep dish peat moss posted:

I already had to file an Unpaid Wages claim with the state industrial commission to get my last 3 paychecks from this giant financial institution so I'm sure those would all just go in the bin

There’s always the comedy option that Giant Financial Institution gets the bill and just pays it if you make it a reasonable enough price.

Some Guy In The Accounting Department posted:

Hmm, $74.17 in monthly electronic equipment storage costs…seems reasonable. Approved!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Blue Moonlight posted:

There’s always the comedy option that Giant Financial Institution gets the bill and just pays it if you make it a reasonable enough price.

The smaller the number, the greater the scrutiny

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So you’re saying stick a couple of 0’s on there

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

So you’re saying stick a couple of 0’s on there

Yes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Keep it under a thousand and their Accounts Payable people will just keep sending you checks. It's shady, but not illegal. Put a note about "contact us regarding return of equipment" and you're golden. I am not a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So is that illegal advice?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SerthVarnee posted:

So is that illegal advice?
No that's free speech!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I am not a lawyer, but this does sound amusing for the rest of us, so don't stop on our account!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
And donate the proceeds to Maui or similar so if they ask for the money back they get blasted on social/regular media.

'Scumbag Company Ltd. demands return of donation for orphans with three legged puppies'.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
There’s a guy at my brother’s work who has started exclusively using the ladies room to poo poo and all the women are really complaining because he was a gross creep to them even before he started barging in on them in the one place they could hide from his leering stare.

Management has decided they can’t say anything to him about it because they are terrified he could claim to be transgender and they don’t want to get “cancelled”. He’s the only one on his shift who knows how to do his highly skilled job so they also won’t fire him. Instead, the women in his part of the building now walk across to the other side of the building to use the restroom there.

It’s only a matter of time before the local fox affiliate catches wind and makes a meal of the situation.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Nah, you just use a 5 axis wire EDM to cut those thin wall countersinks on all the holes, a sinker EDM with custom electrodes to counterbore the holes! Nothing is impossible to machine, the cost just quickly ramps from 'acceptable' through to 'hand finished electron beam welded 3d printed nightmare'.

Oh man, which engineer at my company are you? Don't forget to add in some exotic coatings, multiple out-plant operations at vendors that have horrid quality track records, some manual GTAW operations on a part that's in a heat-treat/aged condition that makes welding it impossible, leave out some critical inspections*, and then use that EB to weld an alloy that will corrode when passivated with the rest of the part post-weld.

*I'll find these when I try to bolt the piece of poo poo together.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^GD or UTC/RTX? or are you one of those Northrup or Lockheed fucks?

On Friday I was incredibly ill. Fever, headache and worst of all, massive gut trauma. I was told by my boss and boss's boss that everything was cool, take time and recover (I'm still not fully back at this time), but keep an eye on my emails. So testing at 104 degrees and barely able to sit up or decipher what was on my screen due to my pulsing vision I had to figure out why the gently caress a vendor had a unit they hadn't seen before in for an operation they hadn't quoted previously. Two operations, actually. Only one of which I've asked them to review just this last week.

So here I am doing everything I can trying to figure out how this all happened while out of my mind sick. Can't-look-at-a-screen-for-ten-seconds sick. I think I may have burned out my brain with how hot I got on top of the fever once I realized what happened. For one, it's all on me, I should have said something when they tried to sneak this past me but was so flat out I didn't see it. Incredibly similar part and operations number, but not the right ones. If I had ten seconds to pay attention to anything I may have seen the numbers were off at first blush, but missed it because "process orders" was the job at the time. Well, parts showed up at the vendor while I couldn't differentiate between a 1 and a R and I had a nice afternoon attempting to read five sentences over several hours before I realized something was fundamentally hosed as the vendor told me something was off about the part they just got. According to the production manager, the unit shipped was supposed to be the first article unit and only has one operation (two were listed on the PO) and they submitted the request for the PO in advance of the quote because "you and [boss's boss] would work your PO magic." Yeah, my magic in this case is making the PO disappear. Abrakadabra, motherfucker. We'll see how that goes on Monday, I asked the vendor to package up the unit and send it back to us until "adults had reviewed the situation" so I'm probably going to deal with some things tomorrow. I'm just going to tell everyone I'm still not fully recovered (true) and hope for the best.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
If he’s sexually harassing his coworkers, that definitely needs to be addressed regardless of his skill or position. Everyone is replaceable.

Being generally creepy and making GBS threads in the other genders bathroom isn’t a fireable offense in most states.