Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

lobsterminator posted:

My language has a loop hole. We call it "PIN code" so it's a bit unnecessary but at least not repetitive. But it is a bit awkward to say just "PIN" it sounds nicer with the "number".

that's a clever workaround. the redundancy is what bothers me, and it's what bothers me when people say "builds to a crescendo." i can immediately tell who has never learned anything about musical notation, or what the gently caress "crescendo" means, when they use that. it's typically only pop culture reviewers, though, so at least it's quarantined...for now.

edit: also "very unique." hey, guy, it's either unique or it's not. there's no degrees of unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SonOfGhostDad posted:

edit: also "very unique." hey, guy, it's either unique or it's not. there's no degrees of unique.
Nah, there are degrees of uniqueness. Technically everything is unique, but some things are more different to the norm than others. If you're talking about a category that contains A, B, C, D and E, F would be a unique addition, but 5%6HH7jjjjj would be very unique. Even another B would be unique because it's not the first B it's the second one. F is more unique than that because it's not the same letter as a previous member of the category. But not nearly as unique as 5%6HH7jjjjj.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

Even another B would be unique because it's not the first B it's the second one.

Indeed there'd need to be two B's for B to be unique.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Indeed there'd need to be two B's for B to be unique.

Clearly someone never learned low brass, B flat is incredibly different from B

New peeve: dudes at work call me things like pimp bc I hug and bisou both my best friend who is a german lady and my wife’s best friend who is a ukrainian lady and like no we are not having orgies

I also do the same when I get to see my high school dude friends from Texas who unlike them don’t feel the need to hold up the crucifix and go no homo

It’s cultural context and actually great to get hugs and be non-sexually intimate with good friends. Enjoy the massive coronary event at 58 bc you’ve been stewing with no emotions except rage expressed for 45 years. Dudes rock!

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

Tiggum posted:

Nah, there are degrees of uniqueness. Technically everything is unique, but some things are more different to the norm than others. If you're talking about a category that contains A, B, C, D and E, F would be a unique addition, but 5%6HH7jjjjj would be very unique. Even another B would be unique because it's not the first B it's the second one. F is more unique than that because it's not the same letter as a previous member of the category. But not nearly as unique as 5%6HH7jjjjj.

you're confusing "different" with "unique," and they are not the same. "Unique," by definition means one-of-a-kind. the sole example. incomparable. either a thing is that or it is not unique. a thing might have unique traits or qualities, but there's no scale of unique. "this thing is super one-of-a-kind!" and "this thing is more the only thing of its like than any other thing!" are dumb things to say.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So if someone has like say, one three signed first edition copies of a novel, they can’t say it’s unique, Mr Webster?

What about the Mona Lisa? I guarantee you google image searching that phrase is more enjoyable than cramming shoulder-to-shoulder to see the real thing. In fact buy a halfway decent print and frame it, stick it on your wall, better than the real thing. Yet somehow I don’t think interpol will get involved if someone steals it

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

i hate it when i change an aspect of my personal appearance (like dying my hair a completely different color or something) and it’s like some people get mad at the inconvenience of not recognizing me for five seconds or something?

“You changed your hair.” *uncomfortably long stare* Like oh my god, just tell me it sucks or don’t comment on it at all, loving hell

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I think I've bitched about recipes here before, but I have a new recipe peeve:

recipes that don't explain poo poo! I made chana masala for dinner, or tried to! The recipe mentions "soak time" for the chickpeas, but nowhere does it say to actually soak them, or for how long. I was very confused. Evidently I didn't "soak" them enough because they came out very chewy. Bitch if there's a step that's so important, describe it! The whole point of a recipe is to tell me what to do! :argh:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The grocery store I go to lists recipes on the packaging of their store brand stuff like pasta, rice, beans, etc. as those things often do. But they changed the "Ingredients" section to say "All you need" instead and it really bugs me and I don't get why.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silver Falcon posted:

I think I've bitched about recipes here before, but I have a new recipe peeve:

recipes that don't explain poo poo! I made chana masala for dinner, or tried to! The recipe mentions "soak time" for the chickpeas, but nowhere does it say to actually soak them, or for how long. I was very confused. Evidently I didn't "soak" them enough because they came out very chewy. Bitch if there's a step that's so important, describe it! The whole point of a recipe is to tell me what to do! :argh:

I do a full 24 hours for dry chickpeas

Also tho, listen up pal, I could post useful recipe text to help you make good food or I could monologue about how these brownies were inspired by the battle of Ia Drang

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SonOfGhostDad posted:

you're confusing "different" with "unique," and they are not the same. "Unique," by definition means one-of-a-kind. the sole example. incomparable. either a thing is that or it is not unique. a thing might have unique traits or qualities, but there's no scale of unique. "this thing is super one-of-a-kind!" and "this thing is more the only thing of its like than any other thing!" are dumb things to say.

Literally look up “unique definition” online and your version and their version are both accepted uses of the word because language is fluid.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I do a full 24 hours for dry chickpeas

Also tho, listen up pal, I could post useful recipe text to help you make good food or I could monologue about how these brownies were inspired by the battle of Ia Drang

:doh: Yeah I didn't soak them for nearly long enough then. But you'd think the recipe would, ya know, TELL ME THAT?

The worst part is this is an Instant Pot recipe. You know, that thing people use because they are utter rubes who don't know how to cook? How about explaining poo poo?

(It's me, the utter rube. I use it because I'm lazy.)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The Black Stones posted:

Literally look up “unique definition” online and your version and their version are both accepted uses of the word because language is fluid.

You can't just jump into an argument about semantics and throw out a "language is fluid"

I don't like your use of the word "literally."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

credburn posted:

You can't just jump into an argument about semantics and throw out a "language is fluid"

Yes you can; the proof being that they just did it. You must mean "shouldn't."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They oughtn't'dh've

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

credburn posted:

I don't like your use of the word "literally."

Sure I can.

Watch me not give a poo poo. I fired that out on my phone. What do I care? It’s part of my unique posting.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Silver Falcon posted:

:doh: Yeah I didn't soak them for nearly long enough then. But you'd think the recipe would, ya know, TELL ME THAT?

The worst part is this is an Instant Pot recipe. You know, that thing people use because they are utter rubes who don't know how to cook? How about explaining poo poo?

(It's me, the utter rube. I use it because I'm lazy.)

Put dried chickpeas in the Instant Pot, add water until they are completely covered (up to a 1/2 over if you want). Pressure cook for 55 minutes. Drain and then use the chickpeas in whatever recipe

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Today at the grocery store I decided to get bagels for the first time in a while and noticed that Sara Lee brand bagels now come in packages of 5 for the same price that they were a year ago in packages of 6. One of the most flagrant examples of shrinkflation I've ever seen. This is particularly irksome because it used to be the good brand out of the three brands that my supermarket sells, the others being Thomas, which is too expensive and also the bagels are small, and the store brand, which is absolute dogshit dry rear end flavorless garbage that I wouldn't feed to a dog let alone myself.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My cancer has gotten advanced enough to where it’s like physically noticeable, weight loss, getting winded, etc etc

And that’s led to me having to either tell way more people bc they notice, then more people start texting or calling like gently caress Cancer You Can Do It Win The Battle

I hate getting annoyed by this bc it’s heartfelt and well true, gently caress cancer, poo poo thing to exist

But like 1. I want to be normal, not Oh My God He Has Babies but Terminal Cancer So Sad Let’s Point

2. It’s not a loving battle it’s the bombing of Rotterdam. My insides are hosed to the point where I can’t digest enough food to sustain my hobbitlike physique. I’m not giving up I’m not fighting or lying to myself either. most likely I’m on the final lap and my fate is with God. It’s enough to deal with without random coworker from Chipotle texting to remind me to fight the good fight and live strong you know

Like I was laying in bed in a lovely pile with my wife and babies and some cats and a puppy watching a Guillermo del Toro making of, ate a bunch of solid food and kept it down, having a grand old time, then the phone buzzes and it’s some dude being all sorry bout the cancer bro

It’s appreciated but fuckkkk sometimes I wanna forget

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SonOfGhostDad posted:

By the strict definition, all things are unique. Even two identical things are unique because there's two of them so they're not literally the same thing. They're made of different molecules and are located in different places and so forth.

But they're not very unique.

Only a little bit unique.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's a unique perspective.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

Put dried chickpeas in the Instant Pot, add water until they are completely covered (up to a 1/2 over if you want). Pressure cook for 55 minutes. Drain and then use the chickpeas in whatever recipe

Bless you, kind goon. :tipshat:

Probably instructions for doing that are somewhere in the leaflets for w/e that came with the thing. I still think the recipe should at least REFERENCE that. "Soak chickepeas according to manufacturer's directions, proceed to step 1," kind of thing.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Sometimes the bag of beans itself has soaking instructions but that’s too helpful to be there all the time, haha. I usually just use canned beans though because gently caress it

Also the Instant Pot is just a pressure cooker/multi-cooker, it doesn’t mean you can’t cook. You’re getting the hang of it, even if the recipes do suck sometimes. I know there are a lot of times where i have to google how to do something that feels like everyone else knows how to do already, it happens!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HOLY gently caress posted:

Sometimes the bag of beans itself has soaking instructions but that’s too helpful to be there all the time, haha. I usually just use canned beans though because gently caress it

Also the Instant Pot is just a pressure cooker/multi-cooker, it doesn’t mean you can’t cook. You’re getting the hang of it, even if the recipes do suck sometimes. I know there are a lot of times where i have to google how to do something that feels like everyone else knows how to do already, it happens!

I cut onions wrong until I watched a video, everyone's at a place

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Well I still have plenty of this dumb onion spice blend the recipe made me make to go in the chana masala (which took an hour of prep so I made it the day before- making this stupid thing a two-day recipe) so I'ma have another go at this one. This recipe hasn't beaten me yet!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silver Falcon posted:

Well I still have plenty of this dumb onion spice blend the recipe made me make to go in the chana masala (which took an hour of prep so I made it the day before- making this stupid thing a two-day recipe) so I'ma have another go at this one. This recipe hasn't beaten me yet!

Picturing a Ratatouille situation but it’s a blaziken doing martial arts moves under the hat and it brings me joy

You got this

E: why do college people at the public pool gotta go “woooooo” a lot

I was 19 once, got drunk at pools and other places a lot, never did a drat wooooooo

Just tryna sit at the pool with two forked headphones and chill bc it’s too drat hot, and they gotta keep woooooooing with the air-splitting intensity of a yowling tomcat

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Aug 19, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Brawnfire posted:

I cut onions wrong until I watched a video, everyone's at a place

Did they end up in the right size pieces? How do you cut an onion wrong?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
If you do the operations in the right order it takes a fraction of the amount of time and number of cuts because of how the onion layers go together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUJxZWKnOo0

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pet peeve: I'd lose some fingertips in the process of cutting an onion that smoothly

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arrath posted:

Pet peeve: I'd lose some fingertips in the process of cutting an onion that smoothly

The speed comes with practice but the smoothness of the cuts is basically due to the quality/sharpness of the knife. The basic technique is easy to learn.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

Did they end up in the right size pieces? How do you cut an onion wrong?

More to say, wrong for the purposes i had in mind. I learned how to aim below-center for bias cuts to get uniform pieces perfect for caramelization.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You can buy a cutting glove. Or better do what I did and steal one from work, gently caress tha man. It’s the people’s repayment for those E. coli deahts, Chipotle. I’m relatively practiced but it’s fun to wear chainmail and why risk it? There’s cats and babies and all kinda distractions in the home.

Peeve: when you want to dump in peace but a herd of cats fascinatedly follow

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peeve: when you want to dump in peace but a herd of cats fascinatedly follow
So close the door?

To literally every complaint about a cat getting in your way or doing something you don't like: Make it stop. You are bigger and stronger and can operate doors. The cat has no choice but to respect your boundaries because you have the power to enforce them.

And yeah, if they're used to getting to do whatever they want they will make their displeasure about new restrictions clear. But you don't have to give in to them. If the cat scratches at the door or makes noise or whatever, ignore it. It will learn that its actions aren't working and stop trying. The only way for you to lose to a cat is to give up.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
My cat used to lay across one of the stair steps halfway down, and just remain there until we carefully nudged her off of it.

And gosh, no amount of sitting her down and explaining why it was dangerous would make her stop. Probably because she was a cat and there was a sunspot on that step and that's literally all they care about.

Also sometimes they get in before you can close the door, I assume.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i mean you're not wrong but i have to admit that i personally have way less willpower and persistence than a cat w/r/t "the cat is making annoying noises" lol. i am a weak man

psa: if a store closes at 8 you need, on a moral level, to be the gently caress done with your shopping and out of there at 8. if it is an actual emergency of some kind maybe you can have some leeway but way way too many people genuinely believe "if you're already in the store when they close you can just take your time and finish shopping." yes, you've been told this by the employees, and the employees are forced to tell you this by the powers of corporate but it's a loving lie. the people who work at the store have a bunch of cleaning and poo poo they still need to do, at least some of which cannot be done until after you get the gently caress out, and every minute you're in there finishing up your shopping at a leisurely pace while having text convos on your phone and deliberating between jalapeno gouda and habanero havarti is a minute the real human people who work there are being prevented from living their goddamn lives. plus they'll probably get in trouble for taking too long to clean up and leave, even though it was directly because of you, and even though they're directly prevented from saying anything to make you loving leave. just get the hell out. if the store is closed don't fuckin be there.

special place in hell for people who stand outside a store that has locked doors, wait for someone else to leave, sneak the gently caress in through the doors when they open to let that person exit, and then blithely claim "the doors weren't locked" and sail into the store to do their goddamn shopping. happens once or twice a month which isn't a whole lot but is also way more than it should be (not the same person either!)

edit: of course even if corporate wasn't gonna reprimand me for politely telling somebody we're already closed and they need to leave, i would still be unable to do it since i already admitted i can't say no to a cat, which is a peeve about myself

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

People who are gonna do something "real quick" then disappear

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

People who are gonna do something "real quick" then disappear
Dad :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

(j/k my dad is great and never left us)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

InediblePenguin posted:

the people who work at the store have a bunch of cleaning and poo poo they still need to do, at least some of which cannot be done until after you get the gently caress out, and every minute you're in there finishing up your shopping at a leisurely pace while having text convos on your phone and deliberating between jalapeno gouda and habanero havarti is a minute the real human people who work there are being prevented from living their goddamn lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITTr75fOF0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It's only been a couple days, but I'm already so loving sick of the lowest-hanging-fruit "Hurricane Hilary" jokes.