Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

sleep with the vicious posted:

What would the government do about it?? Like bro how would tax credits help in this situation

and god replied "I sent you a warning, a boat, and a helicopter! But you didn't operate a Pell Grant funded small business in a people of color neighborhood for at least three years..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Totally stressing out about Hilary hitting LA. So many unhoused people live in storm drains and flood plains and the city doesn't even have a plan, forget about them acting on it. hundreds of people could die in the next few days.

For LA this will be like a decent winter storm (not the apocalypse). Hopefully the people in the drainage areas migrate to a safer place.

There's gonna be way more problems in the desert.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I wonder if you can sound the siren in short bursts or something so it doesn’t sound like a normal tsunami siren, but as a “hey that sounds weird i wonder what’s going on, better check the news” siren

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
L.A has been under a blizzard warning and a tropical storm warning in the same year. Never seen anything like either in my life and lol.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Animal-Mother posted:

and god replied "I sent you a warning, a boat, and a helicopter! But you didn't operate a Pell Grant funded small business in a people of color neighborhood for at least three years..."

absolutely

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Totally stressing out about Hilary hitting LA. So many unhoused people live in storm drains and flood plains and the city doesn't even have a plan, forget about them acting on it. hundreds of people could die in the next few days.

I imagine our strategy is to ignore the deaths and not report on them so it doesn't matter

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Evil_Greven posted:

i feel like the obvious response is 'people can see a loving fire at night you imbeciles the point is to wake them up'

Nope, people are so conditioned to sirens meaning tsunami that they would have thrown themselves into the flames to escape the incoming wave.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SirPablo posted:

There's gonna be way more problems in the desert.

They went on forever and the skies were always full of deadly little clouds

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
WPC has never done a High Risk in the SW.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SirPablo posted:

WPC has never done a High Risk in the SW.

I was watching Tropical Tidbits' video on this storm, and a lot of the impacts are going to depend on whether it mostly stays off the coast before going inland into CA, or if it decides to go inland over Baja California. If it stays more offshore that is bad for SD/LA

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was watching Tropical Tidbits' video on this storm, and a lot of the impacts are going to depend on whether it mostly stays off the coast before going inland into CA, or if it decides to go inland over Baja California. If it stays more offshore that is bad for SD/LA

The eastern slopes of the coastal ranges (deserts) are going to be screwed regardless of the exact track. There is also an upper level system off the CA coast so a jet streak is going to form over NV which will promote heavy rains and flooding well away from the tropical system itself.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

sleep with the vicious posted:

What would the government do about it?? Like bro how would tax credits help in this situation

I know this is supposed to be a joke, but I would be happy if they had a place for the people who are literally forced to live on the side of freeways and in storm drains to go without getting arrested by police. I would really like for them to use LAHSA to get out to every camp, warn people whats coming and help get those who want to get some place safe. There are hundreds of things Karen Bass and Janice Hahn could do to save some lives in the next two days. Instead they are going to hold a press conference because all they know how to do is manage perception.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Evil_Greven posted:

i feel like the obvious response is 'people can see a loving fire at night you imbeciles the point is to wake them up'

the firestorm wasn't at night despite everyone thinking it was for some reason

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

the firestorm wasn't at night despite everyone thinking it was for some reason

wasn’t it really dark in lots of the photos because of the smoke?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

tuyop posted:

wasn’t it really dark in lots of the photos because of the smoke?

yeah, but it was like 4pm

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

I just think that’s probably the reason in a lot of cases.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I feel like the national media focus on "the sirens didn't go off" is to instill the idea that the people who died simply didn't know about the fire, like they were asleep in their beds and the siren would have awoken them and they could have fled. but that's not what happened. it was still solidly daytime and just super windy but within a half hour of basically normal the entire town was on fire. like people would notice the smoke and went outside and their roof and car was on fire. the roads were gridlocked and people were collapsing in the streets because the smoke was so thick they couldn't breathe. the only road out is mauka of the town, and was on fire

i was texting my friend on maui at 1am her time (7am my time, i was on the mainland) and she was freaking out, and the only news story on any national network was like 15 stories down under "environment" just mentioning that there were fires on maui, and mostly they were talking about the upcountry haleakala stuff. this was like 8 hours after the city of lahaina was obliterated. people are looking back now with hindsight and not realizing how quickly this happened.

or they do realize, and don't want to believe it, because it's terrifying.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

So for hurricanes I know that storms suck up the heat energy from warm water (typically pegged at 80°F) to grow stronger.

So my question is, will the warm land temps also help fuel the storm? Cause SoCal is still going to be in the 80's when the storm hits and I imagine the asphalt & concrete jungles will retain a bit of heat until the storm makes contact.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the reality that we are insignificant compared to natural forces that exist entirely beyond our power is incompatible with american individualism

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Demilich posted:

So for hurricanes I know that storms suck up the heat energy from warm water (typically pegged at 80°F) to grow stronger.

So my question is, will the warm land temps also help fuel the storm? Cause SoCal is still going to be in the 80's when the storm hits and I imagine the asphalt & concrete jungles will retain a bit of heat until the storm makes contact.
No, storms all weaken over land.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Ah, I was just curious cause I was reading up on brown ocean theory. I'll just quote the article I read

WUSF Public Media posted:

With no cold water to churn up, Ida feasted.

“It had everything going for it,” Shay said. “I couldn’t have coordinated it any better, of course it spelled disaster for the folks along the Gulf Coast.”

The 'brown ocean' concept kept Ida churning over land

Ida made landfall at 12:55 p.m. as a 150-mph hurricane. It maintained Category 4 strength for four hours before sinking to a Cat 3, which it held for another three hours. It wasn’t until 9 p.m. – 8 hours after landfall – that Ida fell to a Cat 2 hurricane with 110 mph winds.

“The most unique aspect of Ida was its ability to maintain Cat 4 intensity well onshore,” said Jeff Weber, an atmospheric scientist at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research. “A lot of the area near landfall is marsh or bayou, it’s not truly all land, there is a lot of water there that is above 80 degrees.”

That’s what is described in the brown ocean theory – cyclones that maintain or increase strength after landfall because of sufficient soil moisture that is warm enough to simulate ocean evaporation. 

What with the storm saturating the whole warm as hell area I was just putting things together and got curious.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Demilich posted:

Ah, I was just curious cause I was reading up on brown ocean theory. I'll just quote the article I read

What with the storm saturating the whole warm as hell area I was just putting things together and got curious.

LA (the state) is all delta whereas LA the city is all concrete so the former has a bigger brown ocean potential

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If that's the storm that went into Louisiana, it's more likely to happen because of all of the wetlands

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

The Demilich posted:

It's a desert and the brown ocean is a pretty unique situation.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The Demilich posted:

There isn't going to be anywhere near enough water in this for that kind of effect to meaningfully happen, thats much more about extremely extensive inland flooding from storm surge

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

I feel like the national media focus on "the sirens didn't go off" is to instill the idea that the people who died simply didn't know about the fire, like they were asleep in their beds and the siren would have awoken them and they could have fled. but that's not what happened. it was still solidly daytime and just super windy but within a half hour of basically normal the entire town was on fire. like people would notice the smoke and went outside and their roof and car was on fire. the roads were gridlocked and people were collapsing in the streets because the smoke was so thick they couldn't breathe. the only road out is mauka of the town, and was on fire

i was texting my friend on maui at 1am her time (7am my time, i was on the mainland) and she was freaking out, and the only news story on any national network was like 15 stories down under "environment" just mentioning that there were fires on maui, and mostly they were talking about the upcountry haleakala stuff. this was like 8 hours after the city of lahaina was obliterated. people are looking back now with hindsight and not realizing how quickly this happened.

or they do realize, and don't want to believe it, because it's terrifying.

Unless a plane is slamming into a building live on national TV, this is every disaster. Reference my post earlier about the headlines after Katrina that New Orleans was "spared", not to mention ignoring all the destruction in MS.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Stereotype posted:

4pm HST is 10PM EST so that explains some of it. idiots went to sleep and woke up to the news and figured it happened at night.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Demilich posted:

LA is bone dry so it will lose power considerably over land there. Versus Florida or Louisiana which have enormous, hot swamps to provide additional moisture.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Stereotype posted:

it was still solidly daytime and just super windy but within a half hour of basically normal the entire town was on fire. like people would notice the smoke and went outside and their roof and car was on fire. the roads were gridlocked and people were collapsing in the streets because the smoke was so thick they couldn't breathe. the only road out is mauka of the town, and was on fire

this tracks with a twitter vid posted earlier on in the thread where (trigger warning) a video filmed inside a car escape the town showed the body of a fully clothed person who had clearly just collapsed in the middle of the road while trying to flee

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

sitchensis posted:

this tracks with a twitter vid posted earlier on in the thread where (trigger warning) a video filmed inside a car escape the town showed the body of a fully clothed person who had clearly just collapsed in the middle of the road while trying to flee

yeah like it's pretty clearly daytime in this video where they survived by jumping in the pool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUiN7a1P0n4

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

hard pack dry land just has all the water accumulate and push down

the runoff from the parts of the forest that burned are horrifying

ash clogs water systems, massive amounts of black earth bleed everywhere, toxic levels of metals…

saw it all in New Mexico last year from the Calf Canyon and Black fires

https://www.env.nm.gov/surface-water-quality/wildfire-impacts-on-surface-water-quality/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Unless posted:

hard pack dry land just has all the water accumulate and push down

the runoff from the parts of the forest that burned are horrifying

ash clogs water systems, massive amounts of black earth bleed everywhere, toxic levels of metals…

saw it all in New Mexico last year from the Calf Canyon and Black fires

https://www.env.nm.gov/surface-water-quality/wildfire-impacts-on-surface-water-quality/

It's rain. It's supposed to wash everything away and turn the land into a toxic hellscape.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Hey are mountains good or bad for a tropical circulation?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

SirPablo posted:

I don’t know man aren’t you the weather guy

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

SirPablo posted:

they're bad unless you find yourself in those mountains

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zillions of tons of rotating water vapor just gonna cock one side up 45 degrees on a mountain and pull a sick rim turn into urban california.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Bow season starts tomorrow. Lots of hunters are heading up into them hills right this very minute.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The situation in Kelowna BC has completely deteriorated with new fires starting. State of emergency has been called.

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1692710298371682738

https://twitter.com/Truthpole/status/1692691131719684526

https://twitter.com/Truthpole/status/1692681940913234184

https://twitter.com/DavidWolfe/status/1692711124494340154

https://twitter.com/Truthpole/status/1692687834334085237

https://twitter.com/Truthpole/status/1692717267690422473

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SirPablo posted:

Cuban mountains are godlike, but the weak and effeminate left coast mountains probably won’t do much to halt a hurricane.