Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Eshettar posted:

AITA for not wanting to engage with my niece about her birthday?

*Borat voice* My son!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well that's a signature, I guess :stonklol:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what in tarnation

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I wish more youtube pranksters took some lessons from those fine french canadians

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, a day seems like a long rear end time for a prank like that.

I'll take Post Titles I Never Thought I Would Read for $500, Alex.

AITA for making my sister pay for my dog's abortion?

quote:

I (F28) have a working dog who is intact and obviously (normally) carefully handled to ensure no accidents happen.

I went on a two-day trip recently and my dogsitter got covid a day before I left, so I asked my sister (F34) if she could watch her for the same rate I was paying the in-home sitter. She said she'd love to and that I didn't have to pay her at all because it's not much of an inconvenience since she has two (spayed female) dogs of her own, and we worked out all the details including that she'll be in a strange neighbourhood without her owner so she needs to be leashed even for bathroom breaks (they don't have a fence on their yard, just one of those picket ones across the front)

Certainly you know where this is going by now; day 2 my sister takes her out to pee with her other dogs without a leash, and she runs off to try to find me. She was out for SIX HOURS before my sister found her, and only because she came back to the block on her own. I got home late that night and she only mentioned to me then that she had been out on her own for hours. I was upset but didn't say anything too bad, mostly just that she should have told me immediately.

I didn't really think of it as the main issue since she wasn't in heat, but a few weeks later, her nipples were prominent and it was obvious she was pregnant. I have no interest in becoming a backyard breeder so I asked what type of termination my vets recommend and both of them recommended a spayabort since she's 6 years old, it's easier on her body and she's fully developed already. I'm not thrilled about it but it is what it is.

$750 surgery all told. As soon as I got the quote I told my sister that I'll be expecting her to pay for it, but that I'm willing the deduct the amount I would have paid her for dogsitting had she not refused payment. I also said I'm fine with a payment plan if she can't pay that much right now. At first she said she'd pay half but not more, then devolved into it not being her fault at all because I wasn't even going to pay her, which obviously doesn't make much sense but I'm wondering if she's upset because she expected me to "insist" more when she said no to payment? I only said "are you sure?" or something to that effect, I didn't really push it at the time.

Anyway, we went back and forth for a few days both before and after the surgery, and she finally ended up sending me the money, then blocked my number. I called our mom to talk about it and she said that my sister felt like I was making her feel worse and more guilty about a mistake she already feels bad about. I asked if she could tell my sister for me that I don't want her to feel bad and I understand mistakes happen, I just don't think it's fair for me to foot the bill for it. That just made everyone angrier. I don't know what to do!

AITA? Should I send her the money back/apologize? Was it wrong to leave my dog with her to begin with?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

obviously sister is the rear end in a top hat here for completely disregarding the OPs instructions about his dog but gently caress dude, if you don't want this to happen get your dog fixed because a lot of the time it's not an if it's a when.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Cowslips Warren posted:

So was the dog not already spayed because they couldn’t find time in working dog’s busy work schedule to have it done? Kind of like how I had trouble getting time off work to go to the dentist to have an infected tooth dealt with because management was so lovely at that job.

Also, according to a quick Google, dogs cannot get pregnant when they are not in heat, so the dog was in heat, just not bleeding.

I’m okay with OP charging the sister, though, for disregarding the directions to keep the dog on the leash. ‘Cause that is just loving stupid in an unfamiliar neighborhood. Sure, maybe the dog considers OP’s dog to be their pack, but it was enough of a concern for OP to ask that she walk the dog on a leash, so OP’s did likely is not going to do what the sister’s dogs do out of solidarity with the back, or whatever.

Maybe OP should only charge the sister the extra fee for the abortion part, which should be around the same as an “in heat” charge at 2-3 weeks pregnant, iirc, since it takes more time to make sure that all the extra blood flow is tied off so that there is no internal bleeding.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Vim Fuego posted:

*Borat voice* My son!!

[My voice] My eyes!!

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for leaving itemized tips to compensate for my wife's behavior?

quote:

My wife and I (in our 30s) dine out every once in a while but not too often because of my wife's annoying habit, inherited from her family. She always complains, sends food back if it's not absolutely perfect, and makes needless requests/substitutions (she doesn't have allergies or sensitivities). It can easily take 5 minutes for her just to order her own food and sometimes I've already finished my meal by time she gets her food because she sends it back, asks for modifications, etc. I know restaurant staff don't appreciate it. I've tried talking to her about this but she doesn't see an issue with it.

Anyway, we make decent money and we use our combined fun funds on dates/dinners. I recently started writing what my wife does on the receipt and then calculating a tip (in addition to the normal gratuity) to compensate. So, to a receipt I might add:

- Complained about not having ___ beverage, +$5

- Asked 5 questions about a single menu item, +$5

- Asked for new drink because too much ice, +$5

- Sent meal back, was exactly what she ordered, +$5

She didn't notice me doing it the first two or three times but last night she noticed I was spending a lot of time on writing a tip amount and asked why. I showed her what I wrote. She's been mad at me since, saying I'm embarrassing her to the staff. I told her she's embarrassing us both.

AITA? Petty, maybe, but an AH?

ETA: My wife is otherwise a very nice, caring and generous person. She does always say please and thank you even for her most absurd requests. Annoying each other like this is our love language, but this time she's pretty mad. Oops.

UPDATE: Alrighty friends, we've had our laughs and shared our perspectives. Since my wife frequents this subreddit I went ahead and showed her this post. With that said I'd like to address a few things:

First, she and I both know that any posts on this sub are peepholes into people's lives and characters, not display cases. Yes my wife's behavior when dining out is bad which is why I tried to think of a way to point it out and make up for it. That said, she's not a bad person. Learn to separate the two and you'll get far in life.

Secondly, when I say she was (lol... is) mad at me I don't mean that she is deeply hurt and distraught. She's calling me an rear end in a top hat, yes, but that's normal for us. If this was something that was actually hurtful to her, I wouldn't be sharing it online.

Anyway, she would like for you all to know that she is taking your responses to heart and she is going to be more mindful of how she dines. She would like to add that she didn't think it was a big deal before because, as she puts it, she doesn't think twice about meeting expectations in her line of work, even if they are above and beyond the norm, she's just happy to meet demand, but she recognizes that not everyone feels that way. She's going to try to be a better customer.

She said reading this was brutally eye-opening but we both also found some laughter and had a good discussion.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for leaving itemized tips to compensate for my wife's behavior?

ETA: My wife is otherwise a very nice, caring and generous person. She does always say please and thank you even for her most absurd requests. Annoying each other like this is our love language, but this time she's pretty mad. Oops.

Do you think they constantly threaten to break up over every little thing, as a joke?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

This line

quote:

She would like to add that she didn't think it was a big deal before because, as she puts it, she doesn't think twice about meeting expectations in her line of work, even if they are above and beyond the norm, she's just happy to meet demand, but she recognizes that not everyone feels that way.

is one I've only ever heard from people that I categorically dislike

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That update was written at gunpoint

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

boofhead posted:

This line

is one I've only ever heard from people that I categorically dislike

It’s generally said by people that don’t do the actual work, don’t understand the actual work, and consistently make work more stressful for those that do the work.

I bet she also wants employees to comes into the office everyday for team building constant interruptions.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Bored posted:

So was the dog not already spayed because they couldn’t find time in working dog’s busy work schedule to have it done? Kind of like how I had trouble getting time off work to go to the dentist to have an infected tooth dealt with because management was so lovely at that job.

Nah, they said they were keeping her intact, so probably leaving the option open to breed her in the future. Actual working dog breeds aren't cheap, and depending on what you're using them for you might want puppies if a good opportunity comes up.

Also sister is fully the rear end in a top hat, working dog or not. Would she be complaining about dogsitting fees and such if the dog ran off into the neighborhood and got killed by a car? Our dog's first instinct when he gets outside is to fuckin book it towards adventure if he isn't on a leash; if we had someone sit for him and told them never take him outside off-leash and they lost him for 6 hours I'd wanna loving murder them and he's just a rescue mutt.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Bored posted:

It’s generally said by people that don’t do the actual work, don’t understand the actual work, and consistently make work more stressful for those that do the work.

I bet she also wants employees to comes into the office everyday for team building constant interruptions.

they also tend to get paid a LOT more than the people they're criticising, and the apology is 100% a "sorry that i have a such a strong work ethic, i guess not everyone wants to be a worthy and productive member of society like i am" dig

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I read it as "she doesn't mind doing unpaid labour" and assumed the girlfriend was just an idiot as well as obnoxious

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Op needs to put her on blast to cut that poo poo out then and there.

[spoiler] Lol that psychic is a menace.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BrigadierSensible posted:

Because this one is indeed, funny, harmless

I don't think it is in either of these scenarios:
> The band played during his classes
> during a serious conversation he was having with a professor.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

8one6 posted:

OP's wife needs some sort of brain doctor. 100% NTA get out and make sure their son is also safe.

Have you considered that maybe the fetus had bad vibes?

It's her choice no matter how stupid she is.
Doesn't mean he has to stick with her.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Issaries posted:

Have you considered that maybe the fetus had bad vibes?

It's her choice no matter how stupid she is.
Doesn't mean he has to stick with her.

If I was him I'd be worrying about what stupid suggestions the psychic might make re their son. I'd be going for 100% custody no matter what it cost.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think it is in either of these scenarios:
> The band played during his classes
> during a serious conversation he was having with a professor.

That's what made me assume it was fake, because any professor I have ever known would have yeeted the mariachis out of the room before they ever had a chance to be disruptive.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Apparently the only good pranks are fake pranks

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA? Played what I thought was a harmless prank on my friend and now he’s mad.

That definitely seems like it could get very annoying after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7w7nend7M

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 19, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wheatpuppy posted:

That's what made me assume it was fake, because any professor I have ever known would have yeeted the mariachis out of the room before they ever had a chance to be disruptive.

Yeah, it rang false for that reason. A whole school day and security wasn’t called at any point?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's just like an episode of my favorite situational comedy, The Big Bang Theory!!!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
BAZINGA

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

idiotsavant posted:

Nah, they said they were keeping her intact, so probably leaving the option open to breed her in the future. Actual working dog breeds aren't cheap, and depending on what you're using them for you might want puppies if a good opportunity comes up.

But the dude said he doesn't want to be a "backyard breeder". I could understand if he had a male he wanted to stud. Just get your freakin dog fixed. Sister is still the rear end in a top hat though. I hate people who don't leash their dogs.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think he was leaving her intact so she'd develop fully, since she's a working breed. Spayed/neutered dogs are smaller and have less muscle mass if you spay them as puppies. He seemed to be okay with it now because she's 6 years old.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

DrManiac posted:

Op needs to put her on blast to cut that poo poo out then and there.

[spoiler] Lol that psychic is a menace.

I want to be a psychic who just says horrifying poo poo to people.

"Okay, this card is the empress, meaning you will be taking on a nurturing role in the near future. And this next one is... Oh poo poo this Ancestral Recall! Dead are going to start climbing out of their Graves until they draw blood from three people! Oh GOD this next one is the FOUR OF CLUBS , it's too late everyone's fuckin" dead now! Run home and shelter in place for two years! If you see anyone on the street they are actually dead and you need to slap 'em in the junk then run away!"

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

just casually shuffling cards from every TCG I can think of into my tarot deck, don't worry about it

bicycle is very collectable dontcha know

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo! That's a Pikachu! All gravel is electric, now, gently caress!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Still not sure I could be cruel enough to tell someone their unborn baby is going to be the next Hitler.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I can't imagine "your baby will be evil" inspires much repeat business. I conclude that she's the real deal and saved the next generation from the worst person the world will ever know.

EDIT: holy gently caress, my reg date. How.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Drunk Nerds posted:

Still not sure I could be cruel enough to tell someone their unborn baby is going to be the next Hitler.

I think that's what posting in D&D is supposed to train you for

or possibly C-SPAM

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

All babies have the potential to be Hitler

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
All babies are bastards

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Metaline posted:

I can't imagine "your baby will be evil" inspires much repeat business. I conclude that she's the real deal and saved the next generation from the worst person the world will ever know.

EDIT: holy gently caress, my reg date. How.

Happy 20th birthday, SA account!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
See that is the problem with prophecy, so many of them turn out to be self-fulfilling you never know that if you do as told, you're actually evading anything.

AITA for refusing to not smoke while IN the smoking area of a pub because a family was choosing to sit there?

quote:

Here we go …

I was doing some work outside, in the designated smoking area of a pub garden the other day. After a few hours, the pub started to fill up: people eating, heading out for drinks after work, etc.

At around 8.30, a couple and their parents sat down IN the smoking area. After about 10 mins, I could feel some eyes on me and it turned out that the couple had asked everyone if they’d mind not smoking near them as their partner was pregnant. Of course, they sat right next to me who, at this point, was merrily working away on a project with their headphones in … smoking a cigarette … and couldn’t hear the initial request.

Soon after, they tapped me on the shoulder and asked me not to smoke due to the pregnancy. I apologised and pointed out that it was the smoking area and that they could sit LITERALLY anywhere else – the non-smoking area? Inside? Not a pub? They then got really pissy with me and said that I was being rude as they have just as much right as everyone else to sit there, which I completely agree with but why, for the love of Benedict Cumberbatch, would you insist people not smoke in a smoking area because YOU don’t want them to?

Once it was clear that I’d not move or stop smoking, they called a shift manager over who politely told them that it was the smoking area and that they were welcome to sit anywhere else, which they didn’t like one bit. I started laughing and, at that point, they called over the pub’s manager who gave them complimentary drinks!

AITA?!?

I am more amazed there are smoking areas still.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cowslips Warren posted:

See that is the problem with prophecy, so many of them turn out to be self-fulfilling you never know that if you do as told, you're actually evading anything.

AITA for refusing to not smoke while IN the smoking area of a pub because a family was choosing to sit there?

In English pubs they're pretty standard, you don't find many without one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I’m not surprised that a pub would set one up in an outside area to try reach a crowd.

It’s wild to visit Japan and see all the little indoor smoking rooms in buildings for people to be able to stay indoors and have a smoke.