Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Proving that the first words out of his mouth about the allegations were a lie is going to be trivially easy. It's about the most damning sentence he could have written. HR was his wife. It would have been nearly impossible for him not to have known. Why wasn't a 3rd party HR called in THEN?

Not to mention the all hands meeting that leaked where he knows exactly what the allegations were, and that in fact the allegations made about the HR reporting system are exactly as he describes them.

He is in the finding out stage and still doesn't understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

We should also keep in mind that Madison's allegations weren't just about sexual harassment, but about a very toxic working environment in general:

-the head of HR at the time also being the wife of the CEO at the time, presenting a very evident conflict of interest
-management having completely unrealistic expectations for employee performance
-a toxic "bro" culture with coworkers having zero idea of the concept of "boundaries"
-being told to talk to the person harassing you first, instead of instantly reporting it to management (including "just go on a date" with the person who's sexually harassing you)
-constantly having your job threatened and being treated like they're doing you a favor employing you in the first place
-petty office politics being taken to the extreme, to where you can't get basic equipment to do your job
-getting poo poo for taking sick days and other time off, because management's unrealistic expectations ended up leading to every work project being in "crunch time" mode every week

And so forth.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 19, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wonder if any hint of this mess was disclosed to the new CEO before he accepted the position. Dude seems extremely qualified and if Linus dumped this huge mess on his lap within the first month without any warning, I've got to imagine he's already 3 steps into his exit strategy.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
That the new CEO hadn't yet made any big changes in upper leadership/creative to have people he selected certainly bodes poorly. Give everyone worth keeping (i.e Luke) the smallest amount of equity in exchange for becoming Exec Vice Presidents with no reports.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

-the head of HR at the time also being the wife of the CEO at the time, presenting a very evident conflict of interest

She also was and is a 50% owner of the company, so even if she disagrees with here "molecule" of a husband (what the gently caress does this even mean), she has a much stronger incentive than most HR to protect the company's bottom line

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

waffle iron posted:

That the new CEO hadn't yet made any big changes in upper leadership/creative to have people he selected certainly bodes poorly. Give everyone worth keeping (i.e Luke) the smallest amount of equity in exchange for becoming Exec Vice Presidents with no reports.

Going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the new CEO is purely a figurehead and that the main decisions are still made by, or at least have to be approved by, Linus.

Also he's Linus' old boss from NCIX, so my guess is there was probably a tiny bit of "who's the boss NOW :smug:" on Linus' part when he hired him.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

She also was and is a 50% owner of the company, so even if she disagrees with here "molecule" of a husband (what the gently caress does this even mean), she has a much stronger incentive than most HR to protect the company's bottom line

Very true, again we should remember the old adage: "HR is there for the company's best interests, not yours"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

waffle iron posted:

lmao nobody's getting equity.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Reminder that Linus insisted on a 51-49 split with his wife when they formed the company. No employee will ever get equity.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

waffle iron posted:

Honestly, I don't see Luke as worth keeping around. His attitude towards work time, he's in lock-step with Linus about most things, and tries to hide behind "I tried to stop him" so many times it's just a cliche now.

We also might not know who got fired (if any do mind you). They could just say "We've made adjustments" or something like that and they will try and move on. It will be the internet F5'ing their Linkdin/Twitter/whatever, seeing when they update their status I'd guess we will get a confirmation from.

E - Though it wouldn't surprise me if Linus throws someone under the bus to keep the deflection going.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Linus states they had an outside HR company during that recording. I think the "My wife is HR" is more than a few years out of date at this point.

Doesn't matter much I'd guess, as HR can't do anything if nothing ever gets reported, as he also said that the chain of command for reporting an issue was their manager - Him or Yvonne - HR Company.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
linus and terren have known each other a long time. linus probably told him he just has to get the operations in order and terren thought he got an easy job as ceo. i wouldn't put it past the leadership at lmg to hide all the horrible HR stuff from him.

waffle iron posted:

i haven't been in an upper management position in a couple years but the one key thing i learned about starting a new job is to just chill for a bit, learn how everything works, get feedback from staff, and wait before making any big changes. jumping into a job and making big changes immediately seems like a tacky power move and will make people hate you quick. the first thing people think is "he doesn't know what he's doing, he doesn't know us, he's only been here a couple weeks."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Koskun posted:

Linus states they had an outside HR company during that recording. I think the "My wife is HR" is more than a few years out of date at this point.

Yvonne was head of HR during the time Madison was there. The meeting was held literally the day after Madison left. It's entirely possible they engaged an external company to handle investigating harassment allegations and other incidents (as well as some of the more tedious HR functions that Yvonne didn't want to deal with), but all that's immaterial when the person who's overall charge of HR for the company is also the CEO's wife.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Koskun posted:

Doesn't matter much I'd guess, as HR can't do anything if nothing ever gets reported, as he also said that the chain of command for reporting an issue was their manager - Him or Yvonne - HR Company.

I suspect their "outside HR" is a payroll and benefits management company that also handles any government mandated sensitivity/whatever training and defers almost everything "real" back to the executives.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

-a toxic "bro" culture with coworkers having zero idea of the concept of "boundaries"

Oh come on how are you going to prove that. You'd need a long, sustained pattern to prove it's not a one-off, probably backed up by thousands of hours of video footage available to the public.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Linus Media Group to be acquired by Gamers Nexus CEO Snowflake, to refocus exclusively on box reviews

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Linus Media Group to be acquired by Gamers Nexus CEO Snowflake, to refocus exclusively on box reviews

first video is an hour and a half of steve unboxing pallets full of boxes and commenting on the binding holding the flattened boxes together.

e-

with graphs

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Black Mirror, S4E6 "Gamers Nexus" - What if graphs, but too much.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I suspect their "outside HR" is a payroll and benefits management company that also handles any government mandated sensitivity/whatever training and defers almost everything "real" back to the executives.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yvonne was head of HR during the time Madison was there. The meeting was held literally the day after Madison left. It's entirely possible they engaged an external company to handle investigating harassment allegations and other incidents (as well as some of the more tedious HR functions that Yvonne didn't want to deal with), but all that's immaterial when the person who's overall charge of HR for the company is also the CEO's wife.
I won't try to argue against any of these points. I don't really care enough to try and find out when/if they started with an actual HR company.

I want to be clear, I am not in any way trying to defend Linus, Yvonne, or anyone at LTT in all this. When I listened to the audio clip I caught "HR Company" and it stuck in my head.

I really do hope that the people that deserve it are punished over this, but given how much in his own ego Linus lives (and seemingly many others at the top level do too), that he has final say as owner, probably regardless of what Tong says to do, sadly, I doubt much will change. Maybe the allegations from Maddison will have an actual impact (I really hope they do).

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
third party HR is like the least worrying thing about that meeting. it's really concerning that the first step suggested is talking it out with the person you're having a conflict with. imagine being verbally (or physically) harassed at work and your manager tells you to go have a chat with that person and work it out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

priznat posted:

Do you mean me or that guy :haw:

I am definitely a goofy fucker

Personally I am a goofy footer

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
drat... when u think about it, if women had sexual assault allegations, why aren't the perpetrators in jail..? makes you think ....

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Koskun posted:

I won't try to argue against any of these points. I don't really care enough to try and find out when/if they started with an actual HR company.

I want to be clear, I am not in any way trying to defend Linus, Yvonne, or anyone at LTT in all this. When I listened to the audio clip I caught "HR Company" and it stuck in my head.

I really do hope that the people that deserve it are punished over this, but given how much in his own ego Linus lives (and seemingly many others at the top level do too), that he has final say as owner, probably regardless of what Tong says to do, sadly, I doubt much will change. Maybe the allegations from Maddison will have an actual impact (I really hope they do).

They were using third party HR before Madison's departure at least, since on the recorded meeting he refers to it, but also notes to see Linus or Yvonne first so kind of a moot point.

Even with outside HR someone internally would be the shot caller. Outside HR is more for legal, paperwork, record keeping. They do not make hiring, firing, or discipline decisions, that is the role of management.

Edit: They would absolutely not be handling conflict resolution, that would be shot back to management too.

DP: Never trust a cop, never trust HR. Anything you go to HR for will immediately go back to your leadership, and likely your manager to handle. The best advice I got from a buddy in HR is never say anything to them you wouldn't say to your manager.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 19, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

poo poo there's stuff I'm willing to say to my manager that I wouldn't say to HR lol

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Romes128 posted:

third party HR is like the least worrying thing about that meeting. it's really concerning that the first step suggested is talking it out with the person you're having a conflict with. imagine being verbally (or physically) harassed at work and your manager tells you to go have a chat with that person and work it out.

The key point of that meeting is that the HR meeting about how to handle issues ends with the individual who was Madison's direct manager making an inappropriate and sexist joke.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The other key point is that her sexual harassment reports are being treated as "drama", mentioned multiple times during that meeting

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ignis posted:

The other key point is that her sexual harassment reports are being treated as "drama", mentioned multiple times during that meeting

Yup, and these are directly the people responsible for creating the situation that allowed it to happen.

If the result of this isn't a dedicated experienced HR manager then I don't see sponsors coming back.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

SpartanIvy posted:

I wonder if any hint of this mess was disclosed to the new CEO before he accepted the position. Dude seems extremely qualified and if Linus dumped this huge mess on his lap within the first month without any warning, I've got to imagine he's already 3 steps into his exit strategy.

I wouldn't really call this "extremely qualified"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nitr0 posted:

I wouldn't really call this "extremely qualified"

X00% is a pretty significant increase, you gotta give him that.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Well, director level position at companies like Corsair and Dell is definitely more than the equivalent of the CEO of a 100 person company. But, he's primarily in sales and marketing so he probably lacks the PR and HR stuff required to really deal with Linus' insanity.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

beep by grandpa posted:

Thanks for these. I particularly liked this line right here which has aged like fine wine in context of the lovely Billet Labs re-testing cost comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsX3tUA-wJk&t=557s
Timestamped, please listen to these 10 seconds :discourse:

I'd actually never seen any footage re:the whole backpack fiasco but holy poo poo the sheer density of this fucker's skull

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

In a normal situation director at a much bigger company to CEO at LTT would be a totally reasonable jump in responsibilities

but LTT is so turbofucked on an "evolving from a 5-10 person business" to an actual "legit 100 person company" that he's nowhere near what was needed. This company needed someone who would be able to come in and enforce a new order...buuuut Linus was never going to accept that

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

TheFlyingLlama posted:

In a normal situation director at a much bigger company to CEO at LTT would be a totally reasonable jump in responsibilities

but LTT is so turbofucked on an "evolving from a 5-10 person business" to an actual "legit 100 person company" that he's nowhere near what was needed. This company needed someone who would be able to come in and enforce a new order...buuuut Linus was never going to accept that

Yeah, "my old boss at NCIX" just screams "I want more of my buddies to work for me".

The burn down has been merely postponed.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Also holy poo poo. It's been a year since the backpack fiasco???

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'd actually never seen any footage re:the whole backpack fiasco but holy poo poo the sheer density of this fucker's skull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsX3tUA-wJk&t=737s

Just the stupidest boy

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This timestamp is a tough listen for me. I know this will sound overdramatic, but the whole "well I let you in" and "I thought you guys saw me the same way" weirdness is so loving manipulative and is exactly the kind of guilting language people use when they are taking advantage of you/gaslighting you. He's a business owner selling a product talking to everyone there like he's your old college pal who's hiding a drug relapse. GN was right to ream his poo poo over this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No, Linus absolutely acted like he built a genuine trusting relationship with his audience and they personally hurt him by wanting a warranty for his dumb backpack. While many other youtubers try to deal with the nuance of being open and genuine with their audience without inviting unhealthy parasocial relationships, linus leans in really loving hard on the parasocial aspect, turning his audience into undying followers who will buy every dumb piece of merch he releases. It's a core part of his business model.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

beep by grandpa posted:

This timestamp is a tough listen for me. I know this will sound overdramatic, but the whole "well I let you in" and "I thought you guys saw me the same way" weirdness is so loving manipulative and is exactly the kind of guilting language people use when they are taking advantage of you/gaslighting you. He's a business owner selling a product talking to everyone there like he's your old college pal who's hiding a drug relapse. GN was right to ream his poo poo over this.

That's why Steve directly called him out and said "that's gaslighting" when responding to Linus' forum post. Agree or disagree with whether it was right for GN to call LMG out in the way they did, I don't think anyone can really legitimately question Steve's ethics. Unlike Linus, who is a snake.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

waffle iron posted:

Romes128 posted:

i haven't been in an upper management position in a couple years but the one key thing i learned about starting a new job is to just chill for a bit, learn how everything works, get feedback from staff, and wait before making any big changes. jumping into a job and making big changes immediately seems like a tacky power move and will make people hate you quick. the first thing people think is "he doesn't know what he's doing, he doesn't know us, he's only been here a couple weeks."

I think you're kinda both right. Somebody external to the company taking over as CEO always needs to spend months getting to know the work culture and getting their ducks in a row. However a big part of that is ensuring regulatory compliance is on point and checking to see if there are any skeletons in the closet. Often they will hire an external auditor for doing exactly this.

So by this point Tong was probably already familiar with a bunch of the issues. Whether it's because of nepotism or an incredible misjudgement, he sat on it too long.

TBF the lovely reviews and rushed work conditions on their own probably wouldn't merit drastic changes right at the start - the CEO would probably want to get management on his side, plan a strategy and promote/hire somebody to enforce it and fire any problem people. The Madison thing though... that's an incredible gently caress up, you can't let that poo poo just fester because it can come back when you least expect it and cause serious problems. Which again points to Tong protecting Linus and abusers instead of doing his job.

E: he said he had been CEO for 6 weeks

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 19, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Lingus

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't know how many female employees they have now or have had in the past but if one was being sexually harassed then it's safe to assume they all are/were. Except Yvonne probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

… and they personally hurt him by wanting a warranty for his dumb backpack.

This is something I wrote into the void at the time as it was becoming increasingly obvious they were bungling the Small Business to Medium Business transition. A clear lack of corporate governance, an unbalanced business, clear lack of roles.

I think at a rough guide they have 100 employees, HR and Finance is one person which is loving crazy in itself in that a single person on finance is a massive corporate risk, same with HR. They have no PR role, they have little to no corporate risk or governance role, I am assuming legal is outsourced but then you need the corporate risk and governance role on the company side to work with that.

I am willing to give the very janky IT setup a pass based purely on the fact it is used as a source for creating videos purely for people to watch the incompetence.

Getting a CEO was a good start, hopefully he is able to build a decent quality board of directors, build out the marketing side a bit, separate HR and Finance, get in external auditors if they don’t already.

This happens a lot more than people realise where they build out operations but none of the supporting roles with LTT in any support roles currently being stretched thin with little to no cover.

Not going to go into the whole other parts with this around what happened because each and every one of those problems can be explained by this.