Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Should've drained the swamp smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

StratGoatCom posted:

As I said last thread, if that fucker gets a foothold in the USA again, no one has the drive to get it out again.

personal choice mosquito nets

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
I got a clinical trial ad for something called "NextCove" from Moderna, which studies the effects of mRNA-1283.222, a "next generation" vaccine. I looked it up on Hilda Bastian's list and didn't see any mentions.

It turns out it's a fridge-stable version of their original vax. I wonder if that's where a hunk of the $5 billion is going.

Fansy has issued a correction as of 04:26 on Aug 19, 2023

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

finally got our protocol and we're seeing several hundred dollar reimbursements for the rsv shot, no wonder everyone is pushing them so hard lol

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

The Synagis lol? Yea that poo poo hella expensive. Or do u mean the new one that's even more expensive

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

a twinge of terror enters my mind wondering if we're billing the wrong unit size, but surely the plans would reject an erroneous claim, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fosborb posted:

lol first locally transmitted malaria case in the DC area in the last 40 years just announced tonight

Has anyone seen my monkey’s paw?

Platystemon posted:

CDC used to be the OFFICE OF MALARIA CONTROL IN WAR AREAS.

Imagine if they had said “malaria is an endemic disease LOL just live with it”.

Luckily I prepared my imagination for this between 2021 and 2022.

Platystemon posted:

Posting on the CDC birth page.

I fully expect that with history now running reverse, CDC will reintroduce malaria to the United States before reverting to Office of Malaria Control in War Areas and then dissolving ultimately into the Marine Hospital Service.

To be clear, I am not accusing CDC of reintroducing malaria to the United States.

I am accusing Delta Airlines of reintroducing malaria to the United States and the CDC of being asleep at the helm.

e: for further context,

Platystemon posted:

Data from 1947

Why would anyone ever act against an infectious disease that kills barely two hundred people per year?

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Aug 19, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

well on the bright side this should light a fire under the push to develop a malaria vaccine.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

malarias just the cold. pack it in, doomers

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

Also, wherever you are now Rubby, I hope you come back one day. You are missed.

:sadwave:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
oh a mosquito touched you, get over yourself

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

Also, wherever you are now Rubby, I hope you come back one day. You are missed.

:sadwave:

:rubby:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
reading the road to en-dor and this 100-year-old nonfiction account is also real af about this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

quote:

What!?!?

Severe COVID-19 may cause long-lasting alterations to the innate immune system, the first line of defense against pathogens, according to a small study funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, part of the National Institutes of Health. These changes may help explain why the disease can damage so many different organs and why some people with long COVID have high levels of inflammation throughout the body. The findings were published online today in the journal Cell.

Researchers led by Steven Z. Josefowicz, Ph.D., of Weill Cornell Medicine in New York City examined immune cells and molecules in blood samples from 38 people recovering from severe COVID-19 and other severe illnesses, as well as from 19 healthy people. Notably, the researchers established a new technique for collecting, concentrating and characterizing very rare blood-forming stem cells that circulate in the blood, eliminating the need to extract such cells from bone marrow.

In these rare stem cells—the parents of immune-system cells—taken from people recovering from COVID-19, the scientists identified changes in the instructions for which genes got turned on or off. These changes were passed down to daughter cells, leading them to boost production of immune cells called monocytes. In the monocytes from people recovering from severe COVID-19, the changes in gene expression led the cells to pump out greater amounts of molecules called inflammatory cytokines than monocytes from people who were healthy or had non-COVID-19 illnesses. The researchers observed these changes as much as a year after the participants came down with COVID-19. Due to the small number of study participants, the scientists could not establish a direct association between the cellular and molecular changes and health outcomes.

The investigators suspected that an inflammatory cytokine called IL-6 might play role in establishing the changes in gene-expression instructions. They tested their hypothesis both in mice with COVID-19-like disease and in people with COVID-19. In these experiments, some of the subjects received antibodies at the early stage of illness that prevented IL-6 from binding to cells. During recovery, these mice and people had lower levels of altered stem cell gene-expression instructions, monocyte production and inflammatory cytokine production than subjects that didn’t receive the antibody. In addition, the lungs and brains of mice that received the antibodies had fewer monocyte-derived cells and less organ damage.

These findings suggest that SARS-CoV-2 can cause changes in gene expression that ultimately boost the production of inflammatory cytokines, and one type of those cytokines perpetuates the process by inducing these changes in stem cells even after the illness is over. Additionally, the findings suggest that early-acting IL-6 is likely a major driver of long-term inflammation in people with severe COVID-19. These findings shed light on the pathogenesis of SARS-CoV-2 infection and may provide new leads for therapies.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new..._medium=twitter

ibid has issued a correction as of 06:55 on Aug 19, 2023

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

New BA.2.86 variant now has a nickname, Pirola:

https://twitter.com/TRyanGregory/status/1692545225019773101

Even strain nickname curmudgeon @JPWeiland supports it

https://twitter.com/JPWeiland/status/1692619712729944414

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/status/1692591119001927862

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

they should get him to do the Master Class episode on mental gymnastics

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
a 1 in 1000 death rate…

if everyone in the us was vaccinated and got Covid, that would be 330,000 dead

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
He's so pathologically fixated on this process and explaining it, it's desperation.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

Steve Yun posted:

a 1 in 1000 death rate…

if everyone in the us was vaccinated and got Covid, that would be 330,000 dead

minimum, since that's for 0-59 yo. Per infection.

ibid has issued a correction as of 08:04 on Aug 19, 2023

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

The Oldest Man posted:

Imagine five rational actors on the edge of the cliff, loving and sucking. COVID works the same way...

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I just dunno what to say about Bob Wachter, he gave his wife what sounds like pretty severe PASC, described his own case as "nasty," and very much could have died of that 'with covid not of covid' shower fall and subsequent brain bleed. And he says being careful isn't onerous to him, right before saying he's still not masking or avoiding indoor dining or crowded spaces yet because of some extremely sketchy and optimistic back of envelope math that assumes his infection-derived immunity is still good, still good against current variants, PASC risk for him is only 1-in-20 somehow, etc.

I guess consequences just don't exist for some people even after they suffer a bunch of what I'd categorize as pretty severe ones.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

Bob has never played XCOM

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm genuinely curious where he's getting the stats like "you're protected from infection after a booster dose for 4 months." Last I had seen on the subject was this https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2804451:

quote:

The administration of a booster dose was associated with an initial VE against laboratory-confirmed infection with Omicron that was higher on average compared with the primary vaccination cycle (Figure 3) but with a marked variability at any time after booster administration. Pooled estimates of VE after the administration of a booster dose were 55.4% (95% CI, 42.4%-68.4%) at 1 month, 36.0% (95% CI, 27.0%-45.0%) at 6 months, and 28.9% (95% CI, 17.1%-40.6%) at 9 months. Consistent estimates were obtained in both sensitivity analyses (SA1 and SA2) (eFigures 11, 13, and 16 in Supplement 1).

55.4% at one month is not what I'd call "protected" and you could drive a truck through that CI

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

The Oldest Man posted:

I just dunno what to say about Bob Wachter, he gave his wife what sounds like pretty severe PASC, described his own case as "nasty," and very much could have died of that 'with covid not of covid' shower fall and subsequent brain bleed. And he says being careful isn't onerous to him, right before saying he's still not masking or avoiding indoor dining or crowded spaces yet because of some extremely sketchy and optimistic back of envelope math that assumes his infection-derived immunity is still good, still good against current variants, PASC risk for him is only 1-in-20 somehow, etc.

I guess consequences just don't exist for some people even after they suffer a bunch of what I'd categorize as pretty severe ones.

Everything is vibes-based, most decision-making both personal and social is Wile E. Coyote refusing to look down while walking off the cliff. The economy, the insurance industry, public health, everything is in this delicate meta-stasis where a majority of people and policy-makers are wary of looking too closely lest they have to acknowledge anything bad is happening, and things are not quite yet bad enough for this to result in obvious and routine negative consequences for the most well-off, who can indeed afford or otherwise have access to personal doctors and paxlovid at market rates and improved ventilation.

Wachter repeatedly acknowledges real-world consequences and poo poo being hosed before immediately pivoting to 'and that's why no one should do anything about it, least of all me, a guy who has repeatedly gotten hosed over and hosed over people around me by failing to react to the situation'. I fully believe that this is an emotional defense mechanism, to not feel as though he was ever wrong or needs to feel bad so long as he can avoid acknowledging it. As has been repeatedly discussed in these threads, historically things have to become AMAZINGLY bad before socially-reinforced denial responses falter, unfortunately.

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm genuinely curious where he's getting the stats like "you're protected from infection after a booster dose for 4 months." Last I had seen on the subject was this https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2804451:

55.4% at one month is not what I'd call "protected."

Terminology tango. 'Protected' and 'immune' have been interchangeably used in reference to the vaccines to an absurd degree, and it's sometimes hard to say exactly how people are misusing the terms when they do, as a result. Covid vaccination does provide SOME protective effects for at least four to six months for most people; I would personally say this is not enough to gently caress around with probable double-digit odds of long covid effects, much less the possibility of spreading a disease that could kill my loved ones, but that's largely excluded from most discussions of covid transmission at this point and it's treated as a wholly impersonal force of nature for which a person is not responsible even if they knowingly spread the disease in spite of having the privilege and resources and knowledge not to do so. Public health is a social problem, but it's abandonment and decrepitude also shouldn't be an excuse for willingly playing the role of Typhoid Mary.

i understand i am largely just performing a distorted echo function here to what you're already saying; why yes i am grouchy about the abandonment of public health and the disabled and immunocompromised why do you ask

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Look, people take one in a thousand risks all the time, and it’s fine. It’s comparable to driving a mere quarter of a million miles. Who doesn’t do that once or twice per year?

Maybe you don’t, but surely you go hang gliding ten times per month, right? No one would consider you a daredevil for doing that.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Look, people take one in a thousand risks all the time, and it’s fine. It’s comparable to driving a mere quarter of a million miles. Who doesn’t do that once or twice per year?

Maybe you don’t, but surely you go hang gliding ten times per month, right? No one would consider you a daredevil for doing that.

Yeah it's only about as likely to kill you as getting bitten by a poisonous snake is and I do that every day

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
god drat

https://twitter.com/CDCEnvironment/status/1692281921550614785

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah it's only about as likely to kill you as getting bitten by a poisonous snake is and I do that every day

:australia:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s the scarlet letter of the pandemic.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

Pingui posted:

Fruit fly study indicating that ACE2 interference/depletion could be the cause of neuromuscular complications:

News article on the matter:

https://scitechdaily.com/unmasking-the-long-covid-mystery-new-study-reveals-cause-of-muscle-weakness/#google_vignette posted:

quote:

Unmasking the Long COVID Mystery: New Study Reveals Cause of Muscle Weakness
(..)
Around one in three individuals who recover from COVID-19 continue to experience life-disrupting symptoms, such as persistent fatigue, shortness of breath, ‘brain fog’ (a term used to describe concentration difficulties), and muscle weakness. The origin of long COVID, despite its increasing global impact on daily life, has remained a mystery.

SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus responsible for COVID-19, latches onto the ACE2 (angiotensin-converting enzyme 2) receptor, which acts as the doorway through which the virus infects cells. In a pioneering study, researchers at the University of Malta exploited fruit flies to curb down the levels of the ACE2 receptor. In the absence of the virus, this was enough to induce fatigue and diminished mobility.

“Our research clearly shows that depletion of ACE2 is central to the neuromuscular complications experienced by a significant percentage of COVID-19 patients,” said Professor Ruben Cauchi, who heads the Motor Neuron Disease Laboratory at the University of Malta.
(..)
When analyzing molecular defects in organisms with downregulated ACE2 levels, the Maltese scientists discovered a breakdown in communication between nerves and muscles. Several key molecules required for nerves to send messages to muscles were found compromised.

Various paths are thought to coalesce to bring down ACE2 levels or dampen its function in humans following a coronavirus infection. “In addition to being hijacked by the virus, the ACE2 receptor on the cell’s surface can also be targeted by autoantibodies, with the immune system attacking the body as it does in Multiple Sclerosis,” added Dr. Paul Herrera, who performed the intricate experiments that were crucial to the study. There have also been reports of virus persistence long after the initial infection.
(..)

also, too

quote:

Could fused neurons explain COVID-19’s ‘brain fog’?

-

Researchers already knew that SARS-CoV-2 could cause certain cells to fuse together. The lungs of patients who die from severe COVID-19 are often riddled with large, multicellular structures called syncytia, which scientists believe may contribute to the respiratory symptoms of the disease. Like other viruses, SARS-CoV-2 may incite cells to fuse to help it spread across an organ without having to infect new cells.

To see whether such cell fusion might happen in brain cells, Massimo Hilliard, a neuroscientist at the University of Queensland, and his colleagues first genetically engineered two populations of mouse neurons: One expressed a red fluorescent molecule, and the other a green fluorescent molecule. If the two fused in a lab dish, they would show up as bright yellow under the microscope. That’s just what the researchers saw when they added SARS-CoV-2 to a dish containing both types of cells, they report today in Science Advances. The same fusion happened in human brain organoids, so-called minibrains that are created from stem cells.

The key appears to be angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), the protein expressed on the surface of mammalian cells that SARS-CoV-2 is known to target. The virus uses a surface protein called spike to bind to ACE2, triggering the virus to fuse to a cell and release its genetic material inside. Seemingly, the spike protein in infected cells may also make other ACE2 on a cell trigger fusion to a neighboring cell. When the team engineered neurons to express the spike protein, only cells that also expressed ACE2 were able to fuse with each other. The findings parallel previous work in lung cells: The ACE2 receptor seems to be critical in mediating their fusion during SARS-CoV-2 infection.

However, the neuronal syncytia seen in the lab dishes and organoids also had some peculiarities that made them stand out from those seen in lungs. When lung cells fused, only the main parts of the cell body connected to each other. Among neurons, in contrast, the fusion happened farther away from the cell body, at long, thin extensions known as dendrites and axons, which are critical for cell-cell communication.

The fusions seemed to disrupt this communication. Neurons typically fire independently, propagating signals throughout the brain. But 90% of the fused neurons fired at the same time, whereas the remaining 10% stayed silent. This massive amount of synchronous activity “is almost like a seizure,” Hilliard says. Brain fog could result when this delicate communication is disrupted, he says. Hillard’s group has previously shown that inducing neurons to fuse in the nervous system of the worm Caenorhabditis elegans blunted their ability to sense odors.

“These neurons are like Siamese twins, they are joined at the hip,” says Adonis Sfera, a psychiatrist associated with Patton State Hospital and Loma Linda University who was not involved with the study. “Can they function as neurons? Nobody knows that yet. But chances are they have lost some of that function.”

https://www.science.org/content/article/could-fused-neurons-explain-covid-19-s-brain-fog

ibid has issued a correction as of 09:44 on Aug 19, 2023

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1692100085469823176

https://www.frbsf.org/our-district/about/sf-fed-blog/excess-no-more-dwindling-pandemic-savings/

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

My read with Wachter is that this stopped being practical and became ideological for him at some point. He’s like the old joke about how to survive a bear attack, you don’t need to outrun a bear, you just need to outrun your slowest camping buddy. Protected for him does not mean protected, it means more protected than the least protected person he can imagine. It doesn’t matter that his poo poo doesn’t work and it doesn’t matter that he knows that, because somebody else’s poo poo works even worse and he believes that this is graded on a curve. You can see this is a pretty popular mindset if you look at the booster numbers.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Don't mention the goggles. All you had to do to preserve plausible deniability was not mention the goggles. As soon as you mention goggles in your list that does not contain masks, it's all over.

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023

HazCat posted:

It's happened a few times. Hootington was one, but there was also that poor loving guy who just wanted a source on outside transmission so he could pass the info along without having to say 'I got this info from some nerds on the Internet'. He had one goon itt harass him for days, accusing him of concern trolling and being a wrecker and all kinds of absolutely unhinged poo poo.

That new guy was never anything but totally polite, and he wasn't even asking for anything unreasonable! And no one said poo poo about what was happening, and when I finally called it out a bunch of people acted like it was actually totally normal be so suspicious of 'outsiders' that you scream at someone for asking politely for sources.

I know this is late but it’s funny to see oneself described as part of forum drama (I am reasonably sure this is about me).

I just wanted to say that I didn’t see it the same way. I accidentally found the thread after spending almost 3 years finding my own set of precautions. Unfortunately, I swallowed propaganda of outdoor being magically safe wholesale. I found the response to my queries very reasonable and helpful. And I totally understand doubting my sincerity given the trolling invasions I have seen since. It was truly crack pinging time for me. I couldn’t believe I had missed all the evidence of outdoor transmission. To be clear, I was blaming myself and my blindness to this evidence.

Having said the above, I have only made minor adjustments to my precautions. I am not at thread level precautions and I am comfortable with it, given the fact that I have a kid that goes to school (masked, but unmasks for eating outdoors). I am much more aware of when I am rolling the dice than I was before the aforementioned discussion, and this is a great thing.

Speaking of which, I did roll some outdoor transmission dice on this work trip and now I seem to be having a bout of not Covid, which I still suspect might be Covid. I have fever and cough for 3 days now. I have done 3 RATs 12 hours apart and then PCR test which took 24 hours, all negative. All tests were done after I became symptomatic. I wonder if I am having the pre-Covid that was discussed the last couple days. I do have a paxlovid stash but given this seems to be something else, I guess I won’t take it. This is only the second time I am having any kind of sickness since 2019. The last one really was a cold as it lasted only 2 days and was negative on PCR.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is actually exactly how a simulated virus would respond to being aggressively confronted with the set of treatment guidelines and screens we've set up around paxlovid

lmaooooo

Oops! All evolutionarily tautological!

I mean I don't think you're wrong necessarily, but there's zero chance enough people have taken paxlovid relative to the amount of people catching COVID to have any evolutionary effect.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

lol is there like an agency-wide prohibition on mentioning respiratory protection in communications to the laity or what

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean I don't think you're wrong necessarily, but there's zero chance enough people have taken paxlovid relative to the amount of people catching COVID to have any evolutionary effect.

You are right and it didn't initially pop up in a part of the world where Paxlovid is accessible. Southeast Asia however still had quarantine and isolation guidelines in place at the time. Indonesia (where EG.5 was first sequenced), had these guidelines end of February:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230228234344/https://id.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ posted:

Testing
Upon arrival, travelers will complete a COVID-19 symptom check, and temperature check. If the traveler has no symptoms and normal If the traveler is symptomatic or has a body temperature above 99.5 F, a PCR test will be taken at the airport. If this test is positive, the traveler must isolate at their residence or a facility approved for COVID-19 isolation. The traveler is responsible for all associated costs.

Quarantine
There is no quarantine requirement for travelers who are fully- vaccinated.
Quarantine period of 5 x 24 hours is needed for international travelers who have not been vaccinated or have received first dose of vaccination of a two-dose vaccination regime.
Travelers under 18 years of age will follow the quarantine provisions of their parents/caregivers.
International travelers are responsible for all expenses during the quarantine, including the COVID-19/PCR tests

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's absolutely not ACTUALLY due to paxlovid exerting selective pressure but it's eerie how (also anecdotal, nobody has really confirmed a delayed test presentation statistically) it shifts to be maximally evasive lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:britain: will be allowing people to purchase the coming booster, prompting this cartoon: