Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect painting
Nov 27, 2011

Elden Ring is good but I wouldn't say it's the best game to play through in 30 min bursts, it's just going to take forever to get anywhere and it's not exactly friendly to someone shaking the rust off.

This one OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Perfect painting posted:

Elden Ring is good but I wouldn't say it's the best game to play through in 30 min bursts, it's just going to take forever to get anywhere and it's not exactly friendly to someone shaking the rust off.

This one OP.

30 min bursts? Vampire survivors lol

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Not sure how long you've been out of gaming but Remnant 1 is still a good game and not that old either.

For AAA titles you may like God of War, Spiderman, or Cyberpunk which some used to be Playstation exclusives but I think all have PC releases now.

And yes echoing Hades and will throw in Dead Cells as well.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Walked posted:

That said - time is actually one of my more finite resources which makes that type of death often game-session ending (often only have 30min - 2hrs, though often longer)

I'm similarly time-limited (job, child, etc) and managed to complete Dark Souls 1-3 so far this year, with Sekiro and Elden Ring pending. They are very playable in short bursts, largely because of how quickly you can die. However, you have to be okay with the only progress you make in a gaming session be "I understand this boss's patterns a bit better".

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Party Boat posted:

I'm similarly time-limited (job, child, etc) and managed to complete Dark Souls 1-3 so far this year, with Sekiro and Elden Ring pending. They are very playable in short bursts, largely because of how quickly you can die. However, you have to be okay with the only progress you make in a gaming session be "I understand this boss's patterns a bit better".

This is good to know; if that's the case then maybe this is an ok thing to pursue. I just have to change my perspective a bit I suppose (I try to end a session on a checkpoint or logical death, but I can probably reframe this based on what youre saying). Thanks!

Is Elden Ring the ideal first entry into the genre (other than the aforementioned Remnant 2)?

MarcusSA posted:

30 min bursts? Vampire survivors lol

Ironically I've played the everloving poo poo out of this on Steamdeck. It's my "I dont feel like engaging in something longer/deeper game" but I've sunk enough hours into it that I'm ready to move on.

edit: Am definitely picking up Hades, will likely pick up 1-2 more recommendations.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions

Walked fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 15, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You can make a lot of progress in Elden Ring in 1-2 hours and that game lets you do one neat trick many other games don't:

If you hit a wall you can just walk in any other direction and see if there's something else to do. This way you'll probably gain enough levels to face tank bosses.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I actually find Elden Ring's way of splaying out in every direction kind of of frustrating and disappointing, and I prefer Dark Souls giving me much more direction with more crafted experiences.

For other action RPGs, I'd suggest trying some shooters as well. Even if you're uncomfortable about base FPS mechanics, the RPG mechanics can make up for things. Fallout New Vegas lets you cover for a lot with the VATs system. The Mass Effect series lets you pause things and look around constantly to plan your next move (and with the Engineer class it can turn into a tactical game, ordering around your squadmates along with placing turrets and hacking robots).

You could also try a fully turn-based tactical game like XCOM Enemy Unknown.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I actually find Elden Ring's way of splaying out in every direction kind of of frustrating and disappointing, and I prefer Dark Souls giving me much more direction with more crafted experiences.

That's a fair opinion. But Elden Ring feels more wide open than it actually is. Exploring the opening area of Limgrave can take a while but once you do you're basically left with 3 places you could go next:
  • A big castle with a hard boss at the front door.
  • A scary looking land with big terrifying monsters.
  • A large peninsula that you can just walk to.
But it is much larger than Dark Souls so if you're just not feeling the open world then it won't be a good time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

wash bucket posted:

That's a fair opinion. But Elden Ring feels more wide open than it actually is. Exploring the opening area of Limgrave can take a while but once you do you're basically left with 3 places you could go next:
  • A big castle with a hard boss at the front door.
  • A scary looking land with big terrifying monsters.
  • A large peninsula that you can just walk to.
But it is much larger than Dark Souls so if you're just not feeling the open world then it won't be a good time.

You can also just walk around the castle and go straight to the lake, and from there to the rest of the game

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can also just walk around the castle and go straight to the lake, and from there to the rest of the game

Sure, but I don't think most people find those side skips on the first play through. Feels like the intended route for new players is to go get knocked around at Stormveil Castle for a bit then wander down to the Weeping Peninsula for some more leveling and practice. And sure Caelid looks like it's half the world at that point in the game but everything about it screams "stay away" to new players so that'll probably be their last choice for where to go next.

There really is a main "path" most people will get herded down unless they make a continuous effort to poke around in out of the way places. No need to worry about getting lost or being left aimless on a first play through is what I mean.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

wash bucket posted:

Sure, but I don't think most people find those side skips on the first play through.

I did! I ended up killing rennala befoire morgott on my first playthrough.
It didn't feel like too much of a skip I thought I was just exploring normally.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Weird ask, but is there a game like Mario Kart DS where snaking is an intended mechanic?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Heran Bago posted:

Weird ask, but is there a game like Mario Kart DS where snaking is an intended mechanic?

The F-Zero games are basically Mario Kart at 10x speed, including snaking.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

are there any games that give the vibe of "you are extremely not supposed to be here". style of gameplay unimportant, vibe is all i'm after. kind of like maybe when you clipped into mount hyjal in classic wow and saw all the unfinished poo poo. or just super hostile landscape. idk i just want to feel like i'm seeing something i shouldn't

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

An Actual Princess posted:

are there any games that give the vibe of "you are extremely not supposed to be here". style of gameplay unimportant, vibe is all i'm after. kind of like maybe when you clipped into mount hyjal in classic wow and saw all the unfinished poo poo. or just super hostile landscape. idk i just want to feel like i'm seeing something i shouldn't

I imagine you've already played them, but the Portal games? When they leave the rails and you go sneaking through all the back-end parts of the facility? Or maybe the area inside the Ghostfence in Morrowind, would that he the kind of thing?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Pipski posted:

I imagine you've already played them, but the Portal games? When they leave the rails and you go sneaking through all the back-end parts of the facility? Or maybe the area inside the Ghostfence in Morrowind, would that he the kind of thing?

yeah i played both portal games, that's a pretty good example of the kind of vibe i mean. i've never played morrowind so i can't be sure about that

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

yeah i played both portal games, that's a pretty good example of the kind of vibe i mean. i've never played morrowind so i can't be sure about that

If you have 15 minutes to spare, give Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist a try.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Soma kinda puts down that vibe? Fantastic game

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Honestly, the Dark Souls games do this well, especially the first one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No Players Online is a fun, short indie game about exploring an abandoned old online FPS and absolutely nails the vibe

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Signalis

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Subnatica made me feel I’m not supposed to be anywhere other than the happy shallow fields you start in

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Hitman is probably too obvious a recommendation but it definitely hits that feeling of "totally just a regular guy, nothing to see here". Anything where you infiltrate a secure location really, so Thief 1/2/3 for instance could work too, but in Hitman the fact that you're not necessarily skulking in the shadows but are often in plain sight I think only highlights that feeling even more.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Some parts of:

Stanley Parable
The Forgotten City
The Beginner's Guide
Infra
Sunless Seas (and Sky) + A House of Many Doors

All of:

Echo
The Magic Circle
NaissanceE

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Subnautica.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Anodyne does that very well, although maybe not exactly in the sense that you mean. Still worth a look.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

You should play Inscryption

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

The Talos Principle has some moments like this, especially once you start working on the more... involved puzzle solutions.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Are there any games out there like Might and Magic 6, 7 and 8? Like, kind of a blobber, but kinda not. Kinda open world but not really. Wizardry 8 is the only one I can think of that felt similar.

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 20, 2023

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

credburn posted:

Are there any games out there like Might and Magic 6, 7 and 8? Like, kind of a blobber, but kinda not. Kinda open world but not really. Wizardry 8 is the only one I can think of that felt similar.

Legend of Grimrock 1&2?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
There's also Stranger of Sword City which I haven't had the chance to try out yet

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a crime that nobody tried to do anything similar to Wizardry 8 still to this day.
The way it had your custom characters actually react to everything that happened and have their own personalities is still unique to this day.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

It's not the whole game, but Hollow Knight has a pretty good sequence where you could accidentally fall down a deep hole and land in what feels like a late game area way before you're ready. The level is extremely creepy and hostile and the entire vibe is "oh drat I need to get the hell out of here right now".

Bloodborne and Elden Ring also like to pull the "sends you to a creepy later game area way before you're ready" trick. Actually Elden Ring is a good example because of Caelid. It's an area that's completely open to you at the start of the game and nothing is stopping you from walking right into it except the incredibly hostile atmosphere and enemies.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 20, 2023

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

The Stalker series (Shadow of Chernobyl, the first one, is the best) has tons of this vibe all over the place. It's an open world FPS with some slight horror elements where you basically never feel safe or comfortable, exploring weird radioactive ruins and old abandoned Soviet military installations and cities.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Deus Ex you can go into the ladies' toilet and your boss shouts at you not to do that

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

tuyop posted:

Are there any games about picking flowers or mushrooms or that kind of thing? I think my favourite part of RDR2 was wandering around after the game to pick flowers and hunt and turn the bits into clothes. I would love a game that was just those bits.

Skyrim :v:

More seriously, Palia is a lot of that too. It's just started a free open beta. It's an MMO, but there's no mandatory multiplayer so it may scratch that itch for you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

Skyrim :v:

More seriously, Palia is a lot of that too. It's just started a free open beta. It's an MMO, but there's no mandatory multiplayer so it may scratch that itch for you.

Actually maybe not a bad idea. Been a long time since I played some skyrim!

Thanks for everyone else’s suggestions too! I’ll need to give Palia a go as well.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Does this play as much like Another/Out of This World as it looks?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BrianRx posted:

It's a top-down Resident Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BrianRx posted:

Yes, which is to say, not in the slightest you are an insane person.