Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Shadow0 posted:

I'm a bit shocked, I felt the opposite. More than usual, it felt like the same exact same sequence was used over and over and over again. The same eyes-popping-out gag was also used over and over. Half the episode was Hiyori standing there monologuing. Tons and tons of slow, lengthy flashbacks...
I was really looking forward to this episode, trying really hard to avoid spoilers, yet I enjoyed it maybe the least of any episode in a long time. I hate to be so negative, especially when everyone else seemed to enjoy it, but I was really disappointed by this episode.

My take away was about the same. It's very obvious their mission with this weeks episode was just the big reveal and nothing else, and they padded accordingly.

The initial reveal was great. I got a very Looney Toons vibe from the animation and a very The Mask feeling from Gear 5, but they repeated a lot of animation and even Luffy saying "Gear 5" enough that it definitely took away from the experience.

I also thought the action was really hard to keep up with when Luffy reflects Kaido's blast breath but I think that's probably the intent as they're trying to convey the manic chaos behind Gear 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

I'm a bit shocked, I felt the opposite. More than usual, it felt like the same exact same sequence was used over and over and over again. The same eyes-popping-out gag was also used over and over. Half the episode was Hiyori standing there monologuing. Tons and tons of slow, lengthy flashbacks...
I was really looking forward to this episode, trying really hard to avoid spoilers, yet I enjoyed it maybe the least of any episode in a long time. I hate to be so negative, especially when everyone else seemed to enjoy it, but I was really disappointed by this episode.

Pretty much my feelings. Like we had the exact same sequence played before and after the ad break, we had Kaido flashing back to earlier in the fight, etc. When it was new footage of Luffy fighting it was mostly great (if sometimes a bit hard to follow).

Based on the current pacing we've what 3-4 more episodes of fighting Kaido then 10 or so for wrap up, and probably a lazy recap episode with a couple of the VAs talking over the Kaido fight in there somewhere? I _think_ Hiyori and Zunesha's bits are the last unresolved sub plots and are almost done.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is why I can't be too down on the episode, the highs are really high, but I do agree with a lot of the criticisms especially with how much they were hyping this episode.

Next week should be better I feel.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SpartanIvy posted:

My take away was about the same. It's very obvious their mission with this weeks episode was just the big reveal and nothing else, and they padded accordingly.

The initial reveal was great. I got a very Looney Toons vibe from the animation and a very The Mask feeling from Gear 5, but they repeated a lot of animation and even Luffy saying "Gear 5" enough that it definitely took away from the experience.

I also thought the action was really hard to keep up with when Luffy reflects Kaido's blast breath but I think that's probably the intent as they're trying to convey the manic chaos behind Gear 5.

Sums up my feelings, too. Not the best animation we've seen (that goes to Zoro vs King the Wildfire), but at least we got another attempt at something different. Getting pretty tired of seeing kaido's 3d modeled shenlong form.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Julias posted:

Nope, give it another 4-5 months or so.

thanks, i'll watch it then

i binged the whole cake island and it was great, but watching it in real time is too much for me

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Yeah frames like this are cool and all, but they're hidden easter eggs. They don't actually improve the episode for the 99% of viewers who never see them.

On a related note, I don't know why the current animation team seems so averse to lingering on cool moments these days. Of all the cinema sins committed by the One Piece anime, temporarily slowing/pausing during an action scene has always been one of the more welcome ones.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It mostly comes down to the specific director of the episode and how much time they have to animate it, as well as the storyboarding in someinstances. Like the director of this episode, Tatsuya Nagamine, is kind of infamous for doing a lot of padding and flashback stuff. He's kind of the "director who knows how to be efficient and get stuff done with limited time and resources". But yeah there are some inexcusable bits in this episode that are just incredibly hard to visually parse, especially if you aren't familiar with the manga chapter, that would have really benefited from just lingering on for one or two extra seconds, that felt like it should have been caught in the early stages of creating the episode.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

jassa posted:

Yeah frames like this are cool and all, but they're hidden easter eggs. They don't actually improve the episode for the 99% of viewers who never see them.

On a related note, I don't know why the current animation team seems so averse to lingering on cool moments these days. Of all the cinema sins committed by the One Piece anime, temporarily slowing/pausing during an action scene has always been one of the more welcome ones.

To be fair that one is hard to miss. Still could have lingered on the shot a little bit longer, but it's not like mine which I only got through wearing out the play button cause I wanted to see the inbetweens.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Julias posted:

It mostly comes down to the specific director of the episode and how much time they have to animate it, as well as the storyboarding in someinstances. Like the director of this episode, Tatsuya Nagamine, is kind of infamous for doing a lot of padding and flashback stuff. He's kind of the "director who knows how to be efficient and get stuff done with limited time and resources". But yeah there are some inexcusable bits in this episode that are just incredibly hard to visually parse, especially if you aren't familiar with the manga chapter, that would have really benefited from just lingering on for one or two extra seconds, that felt like it should have been caught in the early stages of creating the episode.

So they hired a guy good at working on a budget to do their big reveal episode that they spent weeks hyping up and advertising? I wonder if they spent the budget on advertising instead of the episode.

Honestly they should have hired the American director again. His episode ruled and if you want to do a Looney Toons eye-popping fight then you should hire the guy who probably grew up on the cartoons.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 6, 2023

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I guess it's possible they are bringing in the 'good' director in for the fight itself and felt they could cheap out on the reveal?

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
This sequence of events though was amazing. While the episode is full of padding, seeing this animated was so worth it.

This rubber-hose looney tunes bullshit is 100% what I was hoping for when I read the chapter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Julias posted:

It mostly comes down to the specific director of the episode and how much time they have to animate it, as well as the storyboarding in someinstances. Like the director of this episode, Tatsuya Nagamine, is kind of infamous for doing a lot of padding and flashback stuff. He's kind of the "director who knows how to be efficient and get stuff done with limited time and resources".

Ok but why the hell were time and resources limited for this specific episode

This is Ultra Instinct Omen Goku tier where it should’ve been a double feature, a lot of people who don’t touch the anime were going to tune into this

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

On third-ish viewing, the weakest part of the episode IMO is the flashback to the end of the fight from literally 2 episodes ago.

A lot of people on here seem to not like how overdone the "Luffy reflects Bolo Breath" scene is, but god drat it I crack up every time I see Luffy moonwalking in midair while making funny popping noises.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I guess it really should be said, in my opinion at least, I wanted a better episode, however there were 4-5 minutes of fun in there and I think they nailed those 4-5 minutes. Shame about the rest and they really should have done a better job with Luffy's rubber wall bolo blastback thing but the sounds, looks and whatnot were what I wanted Gear 5 to be. Now just put that into a Film Red level movie and it'll hit!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

DizzyBum posted:

On third-ish viewing, the weakest part of the episode IMO is the flashback to the end of the fight from literally 2 episodes ago.

A lot of people on here seem to not like how overdone the "Luffy reflects Bolo Breath" scene is, but god drat it I crack up every time I see Luffy moonwalking in midair while making funny popping noises.

Personally I really enjoyed the fight but some bits were kinda...over-animated (???) to the point it was hard to even see what was happening. A lotta the gags are great but are literally on screen for a couple frames.

I also think the sound mixing was a bit weird on some of the cartoon sound effects but that's kinda par for the course for the anime. I still think about the endless clippity-cloppity running sounds from Marineford

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I picked a great time to wrap up my year an a half long marathon of one piece. The pacing made it a real slog to get through at times, but man I'm glad I finally powered through it.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Drakkel posted:

Personally I really enjoyed the fight but some bits were kinda...over-animated (???) to the point it was hard to even see what was happening. A lotta the gags are great but are literally on screen for a couple frames.

I also think the sound mixing was a bit weird on some of the cartoon sound effects but that's kinda par for the course for the anime. I still think about the endless clippity-cloppity running sounds from Marineford

I see this level of 'over-animation' in some series like Demon Slayer. They pack in so many distinct movements that it all just becomes a blur. The careful choreographing with a static camera looks much better than trying to emulate early 2000s shaky cam.

This is why that Law sequence was so good. I know it was intentional to show off his ability but I have seen it used well in many other places as well, like early Dragon Ball fights.

Normally we wouldn't go too hard on these differences but they made a point to bring in a lot of different animators and animation styles for the episodes of the past few months, so it really hits you to compare and contrast the styles and it stands out how ineffective some of them are.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 9, 2023

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Even the little bits we got of Gear 5 have me amped up to see how they handle the rest of the fight and Gear 5 in the future.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ok but why the hell were time and resources limited for this specific episode

This is Ultra Instinct Omen Goku tier where it should’ve been a double feature, a lot of people who don’t touch the anime were going to tune into this

I 100% agree with this take. I feel like they should be cutting budget and time left, right, and center in order to focus as much of that as possible on any shot that Gear 5 Luffy or Kaido are in going forward. I almost never watch One Piece anime and I made it a point to check this out, and I'll keep checking it out at least until the end of this fight. It seems like the best business move and way to grab new fans is to dial things up to be as rad as possible at this particular moment and for this particular fight. There's also a potential of new fans checking it out from the live action Netflix show too, so all the more reason to go all-in for the next 10-20 episodes.

Then again, One Piece is an unstoppable juggernaut of success at this point so it's not like any missed opportunities for growth will really come back to bite them. Hell they could completely whiff the rest of Gear 5 and I feel like tons of fans are already hooked and the quality of previous Roof Piece events will give them something to think fondly of.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This weeks episode is much better in my opinion. I'm enjoying the fight again but it really feels like Luffy is taking his sweet time with this fight while his friends and allies continue to die and the fire spreads. I would think he wants to win ASAP. It could just be a matter of the anime padding things out so they feel much slower than in the mange though.

The move where he reached through Kaido's eyeballs to propel himself out of his belly was horrifying

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Man what an incredible 2 episodes.

Does anyone know of a lore dump that’s anime only, or at least doesn’t spoil passed where the anime is? I don’t read the manga, but I’d really love to lore brush up without spoilers.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

From what I know off the top, Joy Boy made all the poneglyphs during the century that was erased from the world's memory, was buddies with Zunesha, and I figure also made the One Piece and stuck it at Laugh Tale island. I'm guessing that big rear end straw hat in the World Government basement was his. It looks like Luffy's fruit turns him into Joy Boy, or Joy Boy ate the same fruit way back then. Joy Boy probably overthrew the world government or was really close to doing it before getting killed somehow, and now Luffy is going down the same path. This could all be wrong. I've never read the manga.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The animation for this episode was much better than the last. Most of the action stayed in frame and they didn't have any jarring sequences..

Kaido voring Luffy then complaining that Luffy isn't taking the fight seriously was weird. Kaido has also been messing around basically this whole time.

Luffy was starting to look like his voice actress there for a moment.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A fun episode, though doesn't quite make up for all the pacing issues.

Weird that a Wano ending sequence has been added this late into the arc, though I guess it does save them 90 seconds of animation per episode from now on.

I liked some of Luffy's moves. I have a feeling Luffy has learned a bit from Bellamy.

Best line of the episode was Kaido's This is like a comic book!

Re: JoyBoy:

I've heard theories online that Devil Fruits absorb the personalities of their users and grant them to the next one. So it's possible that as JoyBoy was likely the previous user of Luffy's fruit, his personality is affecting Luffy, more so now he's awakened it. Thus in a sense Luffy is JoyBoy.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

From what I know off the top, Joy Boy made all the poneglyphs during the century that was erased from the world's memory, was buddies with Zunesha, and I figure also made the One Piece and stuck it at Laugh Tale island. I'm guessing that big rear end straw hat in the World Government basement was his. It looks like Luffy's fruit turns him into Joy Boy, or Joy Boy ate the same fruit way back then. Joy Boy probably overthrew the world government or was really close to doing it before getting killed somehow, and now Luffy is going down the same path. This could all be wrong. I've never read the manga.

The poleglyphs were made by the Kozuki clan. The knowledge was passed down through the generations until Oden died before he could pass it on to Momonosuke. Though the Fish Man Island poneglyph is specifically an apology from Joyboy about not upholding his promise involving the giant ship Noah.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Man what an incredible 2 episodes.

Does anyone know of a lore dump that’s anime only, or at least doesn’t spoil passed where the anime is? I don’t read the manga, but I’d really love to lore brush up without spoilers.

About what specifically? I think it's a pretty complicated story at this point. Some random lore dumps: Garp is famous for defeating Rox, the former captain of Kaido and Linlin. Toki was born near the beginning of the Void Century before traveling all the way to the near current age.
Also, and this didn't make it into the anime, but: apparently the giant boar that Oden cut clean in half, was cut so clean, they put it back together and it continued to live on.

This is the stuff I don't understand. There's so much extra stuff in the manga that never gets animated. They are strapped for content, but don't ever use this stuff. :sigh:

Zark the Damned posted:

A fun episode, though doesn't quite make up for all the pacing issues.

The past few episodes have been pretty divisive imo. Maybe the divide is between frequent viewers and not. The recent King fight has really highlighted how much better the episodes could have been imo. Maybe there was miscommunication and they're saving up their screentime for the finale of the fight instead.
I love what Oda has written, but personally, I feel like Toei hasn't been delivering. Oh well, the YouTube supercuts are great.

:kimchi:

Zark the Damned posted:

Weird that a Wano ending sequence has been added this late into the arc, though I guess it does save them 90 seconds of animation per episode from now on.

I noticed that, but wasn't sure if the subbers had just been leaving it out or if it was new.

dipwood posted:

Kaido voring Luffy then complaining that Luffy isn't taking the fight seriously was weird. Kaido has also been messing around basically this whole time.

Even more weird was when Luffy accused Kaido of not taking the fight seriously. I guess they both just think they're the only one being serious.

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm enjoying the fight again but it really feels like Luffy is taking his sweet time with this fight while his friends and allies continue to die and the fire spreads. I would think he wants to win ASAP.

If only there was someone who could stop the fire...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
The return of the ED just means the OP is back to being shorter now. It doesn't really affect how much new content is in each episode.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

The poleglyphs were made by the Kozuki clan. The knowledge was passed down through the generations until Oden died before he could pass it on to Momonosuke. Though the Fish Man Island poneglyph is specifically an apology from Joyboy about not upholding his promise involving the giant ship Noah.

About what specifically? I think it's a pretty complicated story at this point. Some random lore dumps: Garp is famous for defeating Rox, the former captain of Kaido and Linlin. Toki was born near the beginning of the Void Century before traveling all the way to the near current age.
Also, and this didn't make it into the anime, but: apparently the giant boar that Oden cut clean in half, was cut so clean, they put it back together and it continued to live on.

This is the stuff I don't understand. There's so much extra stuff in the manga that never gets animated. They are strapped for content, but don't ever use this stuff. :sigh:

The past few episodes have been pretty divisive imo. Maybe the divide is between frequent viewers and not. The recent King fight has really highlighted how much better the episodes could have been imo. Maybe there was miscommunication and they're saving up their screentime for the finale of the fight instead.
I love what Oda has written, but personally, I feel like Toei hasn't been delivering. Oh well, the YouTube supercuts are great.

:kimchi:

I noticed that, but wasn't sure if the subbers had just been leaving it out or if it was new.

Even more weird was when Luffy accused Kaido of not taking the fight seriously. I guess they both just think they're the only one being serious.

If only there was someone who could stop the fire...

Uh, I guess about everything?

I wanted to brush up on lore without rewatching or reading the whole manga without spoiling what’s coming, but I do understand that’s a big ask.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Clearly the strain of animating Gear 5 has taken it's toll as next week we have yet another recap episode...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Uh, I guess about everything?

I wanted to brush up on lore without rewatching or reading the whole manga without spoiling what’s coming, but I do understand that’s a big ask.

I can try. I might have some details wrong though.

Between 800 and 900 years ago, there's a century missing from the records that the World Government hid. The leaders of the nations that formed the World Government left their countries to live in Marienjos, except the Nefertari family. Interestingly, the Nefertari also guard a Poneglyph in their hidden tomb. King Cobra claims they're protecting it, but Robin (at least at the time) claims they were just hiding it from the world. The ancient weapons date to this time as well. Toki is also from this time period.

There's also a giant strawhat the World Government is hiding somewhere for some reason.

The poneglyphs were made by the Kozuki family and (I guess) given to ancient people to defend. All the poneglyphs have been on islands associated with irl ancient empires like Aztecs/Mayans / Atlantis / Ancient Egyptians, etc. They're said to be nearly indestructible. There are 9 poneglyphs that compose the Rio Poneglyph, which contains the true history of the world. There are also 4 Road Poneglyphs needed to reach Laugh Tale. In total, there are 30 Poneglyphs. The Strawhats have 3 of the Road ones.

Some of the poneglyphs are about the ancient weapons, of which there are three. One is buried in Alabasta, one is the Mermaid Princess, the other is still unknown.
Crocodile wanted to find the Alabasta one. He has some secret that Ivankof knows. He also has some unknown grudge against Whitebeard.

Gol Roger and Luffy can "hear the voice of all things".

Doflamingo is the son of a former Celestial and has special knowledge.

Kaido and Linlin were formerly part of the same crew under Rox. At some point, Garp defeated Rox, which earned him the title Hero of the Navy.

There's a giant ship near Fishman Island that is said to be part of some promise. The sea kings that drive/pull it said it's not time yet for it.

Tashigi was introduced as someone who was frustrated that the world looked down on her as a woman swordfighter and was overtly a strong parallel to Zoro's childhood friend, but has since decided to be completely mediocre and useless and completely fine with that.

That's everything I can think of for now.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, I keep forgetting to mention this, but: the lead up episodes to Red were really weird.

Red spoilers maybe:
There was something really off and spooky about Shank's crew. I figured it was like somehow a dream or they all knew something bad was going to happen or something. But there's no real way they knew anything was going to happen.
And then the entire movie hinged on them lying and covering up what happened and abandoning her for no reason. I don't see how it benefited anyone at all. She even dies because they didn't just tell her what happened. And on top of it, she found out herself not too long after.
The guy also is like, "Oh, I didn't destroy the music that could destroy the world because I just really like music too much." And then she dies and the music dies and all of this could have been avoided.

Also, why Oven? He's the most generic and boring character in One Piece.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Between 800 and 900 years ago, there's a century missing from the records that the World Government hid. The leaders of the nations that formed the World Government left their countries to live in Marienjos, except the Nefertari family. Interestingly, the Nefertari also guard a Poneglyph in their hidden tomb. King Cobra claims they're protecting it, but Robin (at least at the time) claims they were just hiding it from the world. The ancient weapons date to this time as well. Toki is also from this time period.

There's also a giant strawhat the World Government is hiding somewhere for some reason.

The poneglyphs were made by the Kozuki family and (I guess) given to ancient people to defend. All the poneglyphs have been on islands associated with irl ancient empires like Aztecs/Mayans / Atlantis / Ancient Egyptians, etc. They're said to be nearly indestructible. There are 9 poneglyphs that compose the Rio Poneglyph, which contains the true history of the world. There are also 4 Road Poneglyphs needed to reach Laugh Tale. In total, there are 30 Poneglyphs. The Strawhats have 3 of the Road ones.

Some of the poneglyphs are about the ancient weapons, of which there are three. One is buried in Alabasta, one is the Mermaid Princess, the other is still unknown.
Crocodile wanted to find the Alabasta one. He has some secret that Ivankof knows. He also has some unknown grudge against Whitebeard.

Kaido and Linlin were formerly part of the same crew under Rox. At some point, Garp defeated Rox, which earned him the title Hero of the Navy.

There's a giant ship near Fishman Island that is said to be part of some promise. The sea kings that drive/pull it said it's not time yet for it.

Tashigi was introduced as someone who was frustrated that the world looked down on her as a woman swordfighter and was overtly a strong parallel to Zoro's childhood friend, but has since decided to be completely mediocre and useless and completely fine with that.

not just kaido and bigmom. White beard and Shiki too.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I for sure didn’t intend for some goon to take their time to write it up, so thanks this is certainly helpful.

Shadow0 posted:

Also, I keep forgetting to mention this, but: the lead up episodes to Red were really weird.

Red spoilers maybe:
There was something really off and spooky about Shank's crew. I figured it was like somehow a dream or they all knew something bad was going to happen or something. But there's no real way they knew anything was going to happen.
And then the entire movie hinged on them lying and covering up what happened and abandoning her for no reason. I don't see how it benefited anyone at all. She even dies because they didn't just tell her what happened. And on top of it, she found out herself not too long after.
The guy also is like, "Oh, I didn't destroy the music that could destroy the world because I just really like music too much." And then she dies and the music dies and all of this could have been avoided.

Also, why Oven? He's the most generic and boring character in One Piece.

I did see film Red.

IIRC Uta was left there because there was risk of Tot musica being summoned anywhere Uta was. Or risk of someone with nefarious intentions capturing her and forcing Tot musica out via Uta so she had to be hidden away. And considering the world ending power, shanks had no choice.

I take shank’s crews’ spooky vibe as the crew realizing they are there to kill shank’s daughter, who they view as a beloved crew member.

Also, Gordon failing to destroy the sheet because of his true love of music isn’t even the 10th time someone has failed to do a task set for them because of their “love of x” in One Piece.

Realistically, most of the OP movies are barely cannon to outright outside the realm of OP reality. For fucks sake the film showed Gear 5 and shank’s crew meeting luffy’s crew (however loosely), something that has been hyped for nearly the entire series.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I for sure didn’t intend for some goon to take their time to write it up, so thanks this is certainly helpful.

I did see film Red.

IIRC Uta was left there because there was risk of Tot musica being summoned anywhere Uta was. Or risk of someone with nefarious intentions capturing her and forcing Tot musica out via Uta so she had to be hidden away. And considering the world ending power, shanks had no choice.

I take shank’s crews’ spooky vibe as the crew realizing they are there to kill shank’s daughter, who they view as a beloved crew member.

Also, Gordon failing to destroy the sheet because of his true love of music isn’t even the 10th time someone has failed to do a task set for them because of their “love of x” in One Piece.

Realistically, most of the OP movies are barely cannon to outright outside the realm of OP reality. For fucks sake the film showed Gear 5 and shank’s crew meeting luffy’s crew (however loosely), something that has been hyped for nearly the entire series.

They were super creepy during the lead-in episodes on Windmill Island, which was before anyone knew the Tot Musica even existed.

And as far as I could tell, she needed to encounter the sheet music again to reactivate it. So keeping her on the island was the worst thing they could have done.

I also disliked that Shanks met up with the crew, even if they were separated by a dream barrier or whatever. It's supposed to be one of the climaxes of the story, not part of some random movie. I was also worried when they shoehorned in some character into what's basically Luffy's origin story as soon as they announced Uta.

And I don't know why all the more recent One Piece movies have to all have these world-ending events.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

They were super creepy during the lead-in episodes on Windmill Island, which was before anyone knew the Tot Musica even existed.

And as far as I could tell, she needed to encounter the sheet music again to reactivate it. So keeping her on the island was the worst thing they could have done.

I also disliked that Shanks met up with the crew, even if they were separated by a dream barrier or whatever. It's supposed to be one of the climaxes of the story, not part of some random movie. I was also worried when they shoehorned in some character into what's basically Luffy's origin story as soon as they announced Uta.

And I don't know why all the more recent One Piece movies have to all have these world-ending events.

I imagine the world ending events thing is strictly down to power creep.

How would anyone as powerful as Luffy struggle against anyone who didn’t have world ending power?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Hot take: that tv special with the Foxy rematch was better One Piece than Film: Z.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 31, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone check out the live action series? I watched 20 minutes and figured I might like it better with a japanese dub, but there's no option for a japanese dub on netflix.

It seems fairly well cast but can't fully escape the same feeling the Bleach live action movie had, where its just earnest cosplayers trying their hardest to sell material that doesn't sound right in live action.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ccs posted:

Anyone check out the live action series? I watched 20 minutes and figured I might like it better with a japanese dub, but there's no option for a japanese dub on netflix.

It seems fairly well cast but can't fully escape the same feeling the Bleach live action movie had, where its just earnest cosplayers trying their hardest to sell material that doesn't sound right in live action.

I haven’t watched it yet, but Netflix has confirmed a Japanese dub.

Here is the trailer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=upJ3Rk4e1d8&si=lBJ1SRm87R69xQR7

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ccs posted:

there's definitely an option there for like 20 different dubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yeah I rewinded a couple of times and changed the dub to Japanese to hear the VAs redoing their classic lines (for the most part they are verbatim the same as the manga).