Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Count Thrashula posted:

The best complement I can give you Nebalebadingdong is that I can tell the minis are painted by you without even looking at the name.

its the penny isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I still don't believe that's a penny. I bet it's a wooden disk you painted up

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:same:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I still don't believe that's a penny. I bet it's a wooden disk you painted up

A giant wooden disk

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
There's a really flat Batman on the other side.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painted a plaster aquarium rock

Vasquez Rocks!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Abaddon done. Not sure about the decal on the cloak though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

decals on textiles really need weathering to look good, and weather differently from paint on a hard surface.

is it screened or dyed? this is the most like paint. screened designs generally fade significantly faster than anything else, showing underlying color in a patchy way. edges similarly become more diffuse. sponging the base color works really well to weather a screened design, although the whole thing also starts to show through the base color too. filth and shadows should just cross straight over its boundaries. go-to reference material is old, vintage, or distressed t-shirts.

is the design woven? the edges should be slightly soft, as the weave gets uneven through wear. the logo will absorb filth and stains differently, producing a color that's a mix of the stain and the dye in each area of different dye. translucent washes can be a real crapshoot on this; sometimes you just need to paint overlapping stains different colors. if the clothing is threadbare, there are some additional concerns here but it doesn't look like that's what you're doing. flags are usually woven and there's lots of reference for those, although they tend to get threadbare too.

is the logo sewn onto the cape, like a patch? in that case it's a separate piece of cloth. it folds with the cape but slightly separately or offset, and may have a raised edge and/or visible lines of attaching stitches. if the cape is torn, it can separate near the tear, and may have its own tear. this is the main way to put a logo on leather. reference material is harder to find for this but look at old, filthy safety clothing, like hi-viz suits or firefighter gear, or well-worn bikers' vests and the patches.

is the logo embroidered? it should have a different surface texture, slightly uneven color due to its texture, and orderly but not perfectly straight edges. it's gonna fold differently and fray near a tear, and may form creases and fray along folds. fraying can give it uneven edges or surfaces, and embroidery can shred or abrade away without the cloth being pierced. it's probably more useful to look at the ways jeans or lace fray for reference on damaged embroidery.

there are other ways of adding designs to clothing, but none of them would be used to attach a single dominant logo. it could be interesting to have, say, chaos-logo-print cloth but you wouldn't use decals for that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the model looks incredible btw, just offering advice on how designs weather on cloth.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Any tips on orange cockpit jeweling? Do you go from a bright orange to a brown?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Depends on the effect you're going for. If you want a fiery orange you can go from red to (mostly orange) to highlighting with yellow.

If you want it to be more muted layering up from brown to orange to an orange/white mixture (to taste) would work pretty well.

I personally prefer the fiery look:

But the muted orange looks pretty nice too:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 19, 2023

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Crossposting from the 40K thread. Finished up my first squad of chonky bois.

I definitely feel I made the right choice keeping the main weapon chassis as red.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm trying to plan out my Warmaster Skaven project and wanted some input. Here's a quick and dirty mock up

I'm trying to avoid red as an accent color as it's what I used on my Orks. Going to try for a white / albino look for the actual rat flesh. Most of the tunics dirty browns, greens, greys. Weapons and shield braces standard metallic, but Leaders, Commanders and Stormvermin a dirty bronze to set them apart. Banners black with white images and warp-green accents. Not so sure about shoulder pad colors... maybe yellow?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Geisladisk posted:

This looks amazing, also drill your barrels.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

or just dot your barrels in this case!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I definitely feel I made the right choice keeping the main weapon chassis as red.

Indeed you did :discourse:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Springfield Fatts posted:

I'm trying to plan out my Warmaster Skaven project and wanted some input. Here's a quick and dirty mock up

I'm trying to avoid red as an accent color as it's what I used on my Orks. Going to try for a white / albino look for the actual rat flesh. Most of the tunics dirty browns, greens, greys. Weapons and shield braces standard metallic, but Leaders, Commanders and Stormvermin a dirty bronze to set them apart. Banners black with white images and warp-green accents. Not so sure about shoulder pad colors... maybe yellow?

It’s a good idea to have different primary colours between armies, but taking it so far as to be all natural and then black and white might be too far!

Yellow and black as a primary colours where you’re not using naturals seems like a fantastic match for Skaven?

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Worked on some muzzle burn for a kitty cat.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

...good advice...

You make some great effort posts.

Also no one was supposed to think this hard about Abaddon's cloak. Now I'm imagining cultists running a silk-screening factory in the Eye of Terror.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

silk screaming factory

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Majkol posted:

I saw this on my feed, thought it was rad AF.

From this artist https://twitter.com/CerberusXt/status/1692119860183020008?s=20

Tempted to steal that NB scheme.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

Tempted to steal that NB scheme.

no one's stopping you

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

no one's stopping you

Waluigi might get mad

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I promise you CerberusXt won't care if you copy him

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

I personally prefer the fiery look:

What is the not-piranha mech here? I don't recognise it from the current plastic lineup.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I promise you CerberusXt won't care if you copy him

I saw CerberusXt at a warhammer store yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for colour schemes or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen space marines in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the minis and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each marine and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Crossposting from the 40K thread. Finished up my first squad of chonky bois.

these are so nice, reminds me of eavy metal style without going overboard on edge highlights as they do

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

What is the not-piranha mech here? I don't recognise it from the current plastic lineup.

That's the Hammerhead, one of the best looking 3150 designs. It's was released as a premium miniature after the Wolfhound but before the Eris.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's the Hammerhead, one of the best looking 3150 designs. It's was released as a premium miniature after the Wolfhound but before the Eris.

drat. A LE. Do these enter general circulation at some point or will they be limited to the Catalyst store? I checked shipping and they wanted $100 to FedEx a $60 item.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Now I'm imagining cultists running a silk-screening factory in the Eye of Terror.

Considering Abaddon the Despoiler, probably tied for most powerful currently living person in the 40k universe, is forced to wear a raggedy-rear end torn cloak, it's fair to say the Eye of Terror garment industry is in the shitter.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Geisladisk posted:

Considering Abaddon the Despoiler, probably tied for most powerful currently living person in the 40k universe, is forced to wear a raggedy-rear end torn cloak, it's fair to say the Eye of Terror garment industry is in the shitter.

Oh, he's got a closet full of beautiful cloaks, but he just likes that one.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
new space marine painted, I think I'm improving, sadly my lighting setup is a little too bright so I'm gonna have to come up with a solution soon, gonna put on a decal later when I print them. what do you guys think?

my first one is on the right and the new one is on the left.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
To be nitpicky: the brushwork is a bit sloppy and some colors are where they shouldn't be. Like that you didn't draw in the lines all the way and some of the highlights are inconsistently thick or wavy and not straight. The more you paint and get used to brush control you'll improve with this

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 20, 2023

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm not sure if this is technically a diorama* or scatter terrain. Either way, its done, I'm reasonably happy with it, so here it is;

First foray into hairspray chipping, which worked pretty well. I learned a bit, and wouldnt go so hard on it next time, but it works well here as its supposed to be an ancient machine. Base is an old CD, arctic attack space marine included for scale, because without him every photo read like it was a 32mm human sized robot for some reason.

*or possibly a vignette. Someone did explain the difference to me once but I did not listen.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

is there a non-GreenstuffWorld alternative for easy tubes?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

is there a non-GreenstuffWorld alternative for easy tubes?

What do you mean by tubes? I posted this in the 40K thread a few days ago:

tangy yet delightful posted:

https://www.greenstuffindustries.com/ is a good place for green stuff, tentacles rollers, and some other odds and ends. Note I haven't purchased from here yet but they come highly recommended by @modernsynthesist on Instagram who I very much trust to give good recs.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I posted this in the 40K thread a few days ago:

Yeah that kind of thing. I'm in the UK though, and it looks like it's harder to get hold of those apart from the Greenstuff World ones.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

new space marine painted, I think I'm improving, sadly my lighting setup is a little too bright so I'm gonna have to come up with a solution soon, gonna put on a decal later when I print them. what do you guys think?

To add to what SpanManLove said, I would just recommend going around your base with a brush, or paper towel or just your finger to clean up and remove excess basing goop before it dries.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Just tried the airbrush for the first time on this model. Did a dark blue base medium blue mid and light blue highlight through the airbrush and then finished all the details by hand.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

WIP (done minus the base), I put on the front piece (necklace stuff, part of the cloak) after painting the stuff behind it and thought I got the edges of the cloak lined up but then welp...this is Ulric the Slayer for gaming and not for display so I'm just dealing with it but GRRRRRRR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

WIP (done minus the base), I put on the front piece (necklace stuff, part of the cloak) after painting the stuff behind it and thought I got the edges of the cloak lined up but then welp...this is Ulric the Slayer for gaming and not for display so I'm just dealing with it but GRRRRRRR

Paint a highlight on it and it's a rip.

Also, that's wonderful.