Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's a story based campaign focused rts, but also it's going to be a persistent mmo, but also its going to have 4 unique factions with a half dozen subfactions, but also it's going to be perfectly balanced and esport ready, but also it's going to have a unique coop mode.

It'd be nice if they could deliver on what they're promising but it doesn't smell right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sirtommygunn posted:

It's a story based campaign focused rts, but also it's going to be a persistent mmo, but also its going to have 4 unique factions with a half dozen subfactions, but also it's going to be perfectly balanced and esport ready, but also it's going to have a unique coop mode.

It'd be nice if they could deliver on what they're promising but it doesn't smell right to me.

I mean most of that poo poo's gonna fall apart, especially the delusions of esport, so just play the campaign and some skirmishes and call it a win imo. I remain biased against Starcraft-style RTS games tho, so this is more for the thread's benefit than my own.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

suspiciously low funding goal, ai generated artwork, and pretentions of being starcraft; I'd say approximately 250% chance of it being vapourware

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The logo looked like ZergSpace. But I dunno, looks alright.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Assessor of Maat posted:

suspiciously low funding goal, ai generated artwork, and pretentions of being starcraft; I'd say approximately 250% chance of it being vapourware

it looks rough for a few reasons but idk if the artwork is ai generated

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, for one thing I remember seeing it a few years ago, before all this AI crap.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It doesn't look good (lol at goopy sexy alien lady in yool 2023), but the people asking for money have at least backed other Kickstarters before, which lowers ever so slightly the chance of this being vaporware.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Impermanent posted:

it looks rough for a few reasons but idk if the artwork is ai generated

the portraits on the kickstarter page & video thumbnail are definitely ai with a little manual retouching. i've no idea why they wouldn't instead use a render of the 3d models they clearly have of those characters, particularly since they look less ugly, but that is what they've done

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Speaking of Starcraft, has there been anything new on whatever that Frost Giant game is? Already forgot the name.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

"Stormgate" and no

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

sirtommygunn posted:

"Stormgate" and no

Honestly haven't been into RTS since Broodwar. Kind of want to get back into that. Any of you all play it these days?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Total War: Pharaoh seems like it might be neat, but I didn't get on very well with Troy.

Not tried Total Warhammer 3 as I'm not much of a Warhammer junky, seems like the best TW in a long while has been 3 Kingdoms which is excellent.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Theotus posted:

Speaking of Starcraft, has there been anything new on whatever that Frost Giant game is? Already forgot the name.
The closed testing phases have started but they're under NDA. They did show some gameplay a couple months back though, clips of a match between TLO and their lead game designer, Monk.

Assessor of Maat posted:

It's definitely not vaporware, CatZ played a match live against Maguro yesterday on his stream, the core mechanics already look quite polished overall. It looks more done than either Stormgate or Immortal.

They're self funding so far and just using Kickstarter for marketing, basically.

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah, while the core mechanics already seem reasonably polished, the complexity level seems really high for game modes and also poo poo like composable factions and locked-in upgrades. Sounds brittle to me, there's a reason customizable factions in RTS is a rare mechanic for multiplayer. Very easy to gently caress up.

Personal take, I think the fights looked great, but it's doing the thing 95% of RTS devs have done for the past nearly two decades of "base building isn't fun, let's simplify it so you can fight more" which I hate. It's especially stupid because developers still treat this like it's some new revelation, when the reality is that most RTSes have been doing simpler macro for longer than the golden age of RTS games ever lasted. Maybe it was a unique selling point for Dawn of War 1, but that came out in 2004.

It also has creeps, which is apparently trendy now since both Immortal and Stormgate also have them.

Between the two of these things, economic playstyles seem to be tossed to the wayside, gotta get out on the map immediately and contest those creeps, every match.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 19, 2023

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Theotus posted:

Honestly haven't been into RTS since Broodwar. Kind of want to get back into that. Any of you all play it these days?
RTS or Brood War specifically?

BW is still like the second or third most popular RTS. It's SC2 in first place, then AoE2 and BW (not certain which is more popular), then AoE4 I think.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Flipswitch posted:

Total War: Pharaoh seems like it might be neat, but I didn't get on very well with Troy.

Not tried Total Warhammer 3 as I'm not much of a Warhammer junky, seems like the best TW in a long while has been 3 Kingdoms which is excellent.

Warhammer 3 is pretty good, and you can probably click through the dramatic shouting about chaos winds and murder magic if it bores you. The battles are a little different than other TWs though, except I think 3 Kingdoms had a mode where the named characters are combat beasts that can solo whole groups of enemies? The Warhammer total wars are like that too, some hero units can charge straight into a mob.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’ve been wondering if there were any especially entertaining Lets Plays of Shadows of Forbidden Gods either on the forum or off site. Didn’t spot any dedicated threads with the forums search, so I’m wondering if the community has any particular suggestions for post 1.0 release content. Being informative or correct or skilled is good but optional, I’m particularly curious about if anyone knows about content especially focused on the storytelling.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LordSloth posted:

I’ve been wondering if there were any especially entertaining Lets Plays of Shadows of Forbidden Gods either on the forum or off site. Didn’t spot any dedicated threads with the forums search, so I’m wondering if the community has any particular suggestions for post 1.0 release content. Being informative or correct or skilled is good but optional, I’m particularly curious about if anyone knows about content especially focused on the storytelling.

You could try the LP recommendations thread, it seems to have suggestions for stuff like this, even off-SA-LPs.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The one I am seriously curious about is Company of Heroes 3, I've heard nothing but it's good/it sucks and not a soul has been able to articulate well what the deal is. Is it worth getting when it goes on sale for 40? I am not going to pay 60 at this point but my love for CoH1 makes me want to get it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

TGG posted:

The one I am seriously curious about is Company of Heroes 3, I've heard nothing but it's good/it sucks and not a soul has been able to articulate well what the deal is. Is it worth getting when it goes on sale for 40? I am not going to pay 60 at this point but my love for CoH1 makes me want to get it.

I think the reason people don't have a lot of articulation specific to coh3 is that it's so similar to the older ones that there's nothing more to say about it. I too loved coh 1 once upon a time and i too would not have payed 60 but for releasing on my bday, and i hopped into multi playing solely on 12 yr old memories or whatever and everything played and acted exactly as i remembered/expected through the fog of time. If you're really hankering for microing lil dudes and tanks and tank mines/grenades, it scratches that itch well. Rest of content is barebones enough that id have a hard time saying it's worth even $40.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

TGG posted:

It also kind of is both very good and bad at the same time and it really depends what part of it you're looking at.

As a person who adored CoH 1 and really didn't like CoH 2, the multiplayer gameplay really does feel like the best of both worlds, with some sprinkling of QoL on top. At the same time, the launch was really half baked, in very visible ways. You could tell it was just emergency launched half a year too soon: single player had basically no AI, there wasn't even a proper ranked mode or replay system implemented, one of the factions had essentially instant acceleration/deceleration vehicle speed, it was a bit of a mess. Then Relic followed up with a bunch of real PR blunders to erode whatever goodwill there was to ride out the rough launch.

Having said that, I had a strong feeling of it possibly being the best CoH game to date once they iron out all that poo poo in a couple months. The last big patch seems like it could finally be that 'this should have been the launch' moment, but 2023 is so stacked with great games I haven't gotten around to going back yet.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sometimes it seems like Relic is getting increasingly bad at making RTS games. Do CoH3 or AoE4 have map editors?

Edit: looks like they have that at least. Not having replays day one is bizarre though, if you've made multiple RTSes before.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 26, 2023

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Cicero posted:

Sometimes it seems like Relic is getting increasingly bad at making RTS games.

I'm pretty sure they have had quite an employee turnover over the years, which would explain their loss of institutional knowledge. Like the guys who led CoH 1 weren't even around by the time Relic developed the first expansion pack.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's a lot of strategy devs right now. Paradox and CA have declined, and I've heard people complain about Blizzard (no experience myself)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Hey does anyone know what game this is? I believe I've seen a thread for it here in the Video Games forum, it something about being a cultist trying to destroy the world by resurrecting your evil god?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
It says at the end of that video OP

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Squeezy Farm posted:

It says at the end of that video OP

:doh: thanks!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sauron Simulator 2023

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Field of Glory II/Empires is on sale, but I've completely forgotten why I put it on my wishlist. Looking at the description a lot of people praise a) deep economy, b) grand strategy that feels distinct from Paradox. Is it actually worth taking a look at, or should I stick with EU/CK?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Omi no Kami posted:

Field of Glory II/Empires is on sale, but I've completely forgotten why I put it on my wishlist. Looking at the description a lot of people praise a) deep economy, b) grand strategy that feels distinct from Paradox. Is it actually worth taking a look at, or should I stick with EU/CK?

From what I understand of it, it's more of a grognardier/more complicated version of Rome: Total War than a Paradox game. Well, maybe Imperator, I guess, but the Rome ones have always been the black sheep of the Paradox lineup anyway. I think it still requires you to buy both games (Field of Glory II and Empires) to do the zoom-in to fight segment, so that's kind of a turn off. Nice to have the option though.

But you can just look at this Gray Hunter LP if you want to judge for yourself: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892859.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 29, 2023

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Jossar posted:

From what I understand of it, it's more of a grognardier/more complicated version of Rome: Total War than a Paradox game. Well, maybe Imperator, I guess, but the Rome ones have always been the black sheep of the Paradox lineup anyway. I think it still requires you to buy both games (Field of Glory II and Empires) to do the zoom-in to fight segment, so that's kind of a turn off. Nice to have the option though.

But you can just look at this Gray Hunter LP if you want to judge for yourself: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892859.

Oh that's way better than a review- thanks!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The medieval version is coming soon as well!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jossar posted:

To me, FOG: Empires is actually better as its own game without resolving battles in FoG2 as zooming in for battles significantly flattens the effect of terrain on combats and changes the unit balance a lot, but if you're really in for FoG2 battles, it's still worthwhile. In and of itself, it's an interesting simultaneous-turn (WEGO) take on empire building in the ancient era, using a decadence mechanism to try to push players along.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The Ukranian team at Starni, behind the Strategic Mind series, or as I like to call it, History Science Theater for their... amazing presentation in the single player campaigns, have just released Spirit of Liberty, focusing on Finland in WWII.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
So the Battle Brothers Devs are releasing a new game called Menace. It looks pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/hcL-IhZ9XKk?si=b4ohwEMf1UNuKoiv

Then the YouTube channel partyelite went into a bit more depth.

https://youtu.be/u9JwH18jWzc

Seems like a larger scale XCOM. I like how they will include more character fluff and world building like in Battle Brothers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Weren't the Battle Bros Devs one of the ones that turned out to be assholes and/or creepers? I can hardly keep track these days.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

It is hard to keep things straight, but there’s nothing I can recall and nothing I can easily find. I could do a deep dive on individuals, but a few more generic searches didn’t reveal anything in five-ten minutes

I mean, it’s easy as hell to find something about Dead Island or Factorio

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I vaguely remember one of the writers being sort of generically chuddy.

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 2, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think it was related to refusing to add female battle bros, and some problematic flavor text indicating support for a traditionalist view or something. Both excused by some insistence on how history and people are just naturally nasty brutish and short or whatever.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Oh, yeah it doesn’t sound great

Battle Brothers FAQ posted:

WHAT ABOUT BATTLE SISTERS?

Adding female characters would mean a considerable work-load when we want a whole lot of other things in the game, too, many of which could be considered more important additions. The main hurdle is that the game consists of more than 250,000 words at last count, all of would have to be edited in a way as to account for both sexes.

That being said, if we’d ever add female characters into the game, they’d come with their own backgrounds that take into account how a quasi-medieval world treats them, so they won’t just be male characters with different heads. Just like their male counterparts, some would be more and some would be less suited to the hard life as mercenaries. Here is a preview of how they might look.

I try not to read much into my entertainment but even under the best interpretation the bolded sentence doesn’t like the smartest angle for an all-male team team to tackle in this particular medium compounded with the questionable accuracy of sources from that time.

I admit reading some video game stories that tackled historical attitudes with some care but they weren’t strategy games, which we all know are paragons of story telling.

Tangent; anybody remember the story of Haegemonia: Legions of Iron? As much as I liked the game, that was some the most laughably bad characterization I can recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Don't you fight orcs and zombies in Battle Brothers? A female merc though? Stretching my disbelief!