Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

gently caress that i want the deng xiaoping phone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That actually looks really cool, all the CCP stuff notwithstanding

I think we should take red and gold back from the commies

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://caviar.global/catalog/custom-iphone/iphone-15/diamond-snowflake_id28165/

Gonna buy this diamond encrusted phone so that I don’t need a case. Only 563k USD too what a deal.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gonna buy the Diamond iPhone but with 128GB of storage, I’m not made of money you know

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

rumor has it the iPhone 15 won't have any official leather cases. RIP saddle brown and your amazing patina.

Oh no whatever will I do without the 0.25mm of the shittiest leather on the planet wrapped around a piece of plastic?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I suspect he would hate it because it's too big. He's right, but he was also wrong in that big phones are what people want.

The Android tablets were so small he would have had to shave his finger to use them !

Too bad carrot juice can’t cure cancer. Rip Stebe.

Edit: gotta remind everyone that BlackBerry used to sell $2000 phones back in 2010-2015 ish

https://www.theverge.com/2012/2/13/2793155/porsche-design-p9981-blackberry-review

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 19, 2023

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Oh no whatever will I do without the 0.25mm of the shittiest leather on the planet wrapped around a piece of plastic?

They use well machined metal buttons which every other bespoke leather case manufacturer seems entirely incable of doing

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 19, 2023

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Screw all y'all, I'm going to buy my god-awful Android velben-good phone to show you who's really boss!

You think an iPhone is a Velben-good? I'll show you with my lovely Velben Good

I'm honestly amazed they still exist...I seriously didn't look them up until just now...

...but at least I get a concierge! The best you can get with an iPhone is belittling an Apple Store employee!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

AppleCare Plus is fine for actual breaks due to drops but wouldn’t the phone edges get dinged up from less severe drops?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
If you go case less doesn’t your phone slip out of your pocket when you’re in cars etc?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
No?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Alright gang I’m doing it. I’m going caseless today.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

smackfu posted:

AppleCare Plus is fine for actual breaks due to drops but wouldn’t the phone edges get dinged up from less severe drops?

Oh no, my phone has a bit of wear and tear on it. Whatever shall I do

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does Apple Care get you a replacement phone or a replacement screen?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://caviar.global/catalog/custom-iphone/iphone-15/diamond-snowflake_id28165/

Gonna buy this diamond encrusted phone so that I don’t need a case. Only 563k USD too what a deal.

Things like this always remind me of Ocean's 13. Al Pacino's character becomes obsessed with getting this super expensive and exclusive cell phone. When we see it the phone is just this tacky old brick dumbphone painted gold with a diamond on it.

The movie came out after the first iPhone was announced and just weeks before it went on sale.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rinkles posted:

Does Apple Care get you a replacement phone or a replacement screen?

When I shattered my screen it was a brand new phone, but I think that's just due to the nature of fulfilling the request entirely online and, y'know, advancing me a replacement.

Might be a part replacement if you do it in store. It was back when I had my 7 Plus

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Zero One posted:

Things like this always remind me of Ocean's 13. Al Pacino's character becomes obsessed with getting this super expensive and exclusive cell phone. When we see it the phone is just this tacky old brick dumbphone painted gold with a diamond on it.

The movie came out after the first iPhone was announced and just weeks before it went on sale.

On the other hand, the Nokia phone in the Matrix was cool as hell.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GhostOfTomNook posted:

On the other hand, the Nokia phone in the Matrix was cool as hell.

That’s specifically the banana phone.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-8110-4g

I can’t tell if they are still selling it or not, but yeah I’ve always been tempted to buy it for nostalgia.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Duckman2008 posted:

That’s specifically the banana phone.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-8110-4g

I can’t tell if they are still selling it or not, but yeah I’ve always been tempted to buy it for nostalgia.

It's a cheap new model with a similar design, their feature phone lineup is entirely nostalgia driven.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

It's a cheap new model with a similar design, their feature phone lineup is entirely nostalgia driven.

Oh I 100% agree with this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Come on, Find My. It’s like you aren’t even trying anymore.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sri.Theo posted:

If you go case less doesn’t your phone slip out of your pocket when you’re in cars etc?

100%, I have no idea how people can cope with the slipperyness of naked iphones, they’re like a bar of soap. There is zero chance I’d trust a naked phone to stay in my pocket while cycling, with any kind of pocket.

It’s literally stressful to even leave it on the arm of a sofa as it’ll always wriggle it’s way off. I maintain that a hard slippery finish on a device you hold is a mistake, and a case makes phones more functional as well as the protection aspect.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I miss the novelty of my iPhone 5C. It was such a cute little phone and a great gateway drug into the apple ecosystem. Don’t think I’m gonna have that level of excitement again.

Though come to think of it, the jump from the 5C to the 7 Plus was huge and I got a little giddy taking the phone out of the box and doing the transfer. I dunno what next iPhone is gonna do that for me

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

I miss the novelty of my iPhone 5C. It was such a cute little phone and a great gateway drug into the apple ecosystem. Don’t think I’m gonna have that level of excitement again.

Though come to think of it, the jump from the 5C to the 7 Plus was huge and I got a little giddy taking the phone out of the box and doing the transfer. I dunno what next iPhone is gonna do that for me

The 5C looked great, although it was too plasticky, but it’s bit crime was the professor was way behind on the 5C.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

but it’s bit crime was the professor was way behind on the 5C.
Many people are saying this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Many people are saying this.

Lol goddamn typos.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

17 beta? All my poo poo keeps doing it too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol goddamn typos.
With ios17 we'll see what your real username is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

With ios17 we'll see what your real username is.

:five:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

17 beta? All my poo poo keeps doing it too.

Yeah.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

This has been going on more often lately. It’ll give me the notification even when my AirPods and MBP are in my bag next to me.

Edit: I’m pretty sure I still saw this on 16.6 when I went back to it for a while. So I’m not sure if this is totally a beta only problem.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The left behind notifications are extremely annoying when you’re on vacation. At a minimum; it should recognise that they’re in the same drat place I parked the car and not notify me when I park somewhere and grab some lunch on the road. I can understand when I’ve left them in my hotel room.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Duckman2008 posted:

The 5C looked great, although it was too plasticky, but it’s bit crime was the professor was way behind on the 5C.

I really really liked the plastic green look. It had a way of not feeling cheap, at least.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just think to myself “yup, definitely left that behind on purpose” and clear the notification. Walla.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Skeezy posted:

This has been going on more often lately. It’ll give me the notification even when my AirPods and MBP are in my bag next to me.

Edit: I’m pretty sure I still saw this on 16.6 when I went back to it for a while. So I’m not sure if this is totally a beta only problem.

It’s still a problem even on latest 16. I routinely get told that my wallet has been left behind on a walk when it’s in my pocket

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Lord Bude posted:

The left behind notifications are extremely annoying when you’re on vacation. At a minimum; it should recognise that they’re in the same drat place I parked the car and not notify me when I park somewhere and grab some lunch on the road. I can understand when I’ve left them in my hotel room.

So… you want them to be magical?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 20, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So… you want them to be magical?

I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of Apple’s capability to know that the location that it knows I left my iPad is the exact same location as it already knows I parked my car and draw the conclusion that the iPad is in the car and not in fact left behind.

After all it doesn’t notify me that I’ve left it behind when I leave my house each day.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

buglord posted:

With the silicone case on my 13 mini I’m always reminded very strongly of the 5c, which I agree looked great. I think if it was cheaper when it came out it wouldn’t have been so poo poo on by people. It didn’t help that the 5s released alongside it is objectively, empirically and scientifically the single best looking object Apple has ever designed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m on 16 and I get frequent messages that I’ve left my AirPods or iPhone sitting on my work desk when i goto the bathroom and there’s someone else in there (I’m guessing there needs to be someone else in there for the Find My Device thing to work since I don’t have a cellular watch nor do I have wifi available at work). I used to get messages that I’ve left my iPad at home too every freaking day I dunno what I did to stop those ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I would honestly not mind the messages if even once it found my AirPods when I actually lost them.