Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well I'll be horsewhipped. It's the good mirror universe's version of Doobie's Dog House.

The_Other posted:

As someone on the Comics Curmudgeon pointed out, goatface might not be that far off;

This strip ran on January 12, 2015

Not gonna lie, I'd have to give them props for inserting a twist with bigger impact on the comic than whatever the Phantom team have cooked up in the same timespan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

are we still in old man mozz's story

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I have read ahead in Luann and it is simultaneously better and worse than what we are theorizing here.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/18/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 7/15/51

Smokey Stover 4/29/56

Everyday Movies 9/10/36

"You told me you read the paper for the 'Help Wanted' and for three days in succession I've caught you reading 'Hints to the Lovelorn.'"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/11/42

Doctor Spin? The phrase "spin doctor" wouldn't enter the language for another forty-odd years, but that's a funny coincidence.

Bonus Ad! "We close early during the Christmas rush so our employees will be well-rested to help you!" That's an interesting marketing strategy.

As far as I can tell, Bowman's was one of those local department stores that got wiped out by consolidation and mallification in the 70s/80s.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

I have read ahead in Luann and it is simultaneously better and worse than what we are theorizing here.

He crashed the van and killed her because she was recording a bit and had taken off her seatbelt?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She left him for a strangely familiar sexy blonde surfer boy and took the van?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They went to LA and she smoked the marijuana and Gunt smelled it on her and fled the state crying?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They went to Vegas and Gunt was spotted by his old cougar friends, got married to one of them in a comedy of errors, and lost Bets to a professional poker playing influencer manager?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bets was caught in Texas trying to get an abortion and now he's come back to beg for enough money to hire a lawyer?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They were getting it on in a room of middle-aged swingers and he accidentally called her Luann?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mary Worth told them miscegenation was wrong and made them break up?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

amigolupus posted:

I know siblings mess with each other, but the way Lynn portrays it comes across as toxic. Like, I can't think of a single instance where Michael had Liz's back on anything.

It's always been uncomfortable for me to read, too. It IS a typical portrayal of brother - sister dynamics, especially in mainstream media and especially in the 80s, but it's pretty deeply rooted in sexism and misogyny imo. The brother messing with the sister because she's into makeup or a boyfriend or her feminine clothing. Probably in a majority of strips he doesn't even call her by her name, it's an insulting nickname. The aggression always seems to come from the male side of the equation more often than not and is placidly supported by any parents because that's how boys are and brothers and sisters always fight.

It's in the same category of casual misogyny as "men can't stand their wives".

Like what am I supposed to take away from this comic? That's just how boys are and they're unaware? They do it to people they actually like? Maybe the girl deserves it sometimes?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

realtalk i bet gunther messed up her streaming

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

EBB posted:

realtalk i bet gunther messed up her streaming

Or refused to sex premartially

Or refused to sex premartially on her streaming

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Gunther's dead in a ditch in Brazil and the last several years have been his fever dream in his lasts moments of life.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

maybealabia posted:

Or refused to sex premartially on her streaming

Or did the premarital sex on her streaming and got her kicked from the service for adult content, killing her entire revenue stream/future/personality.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
I look forward to Luann retconning all the way back to high school while still not bringing back Delta.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

maybealabia posted:

never do the gently caress before battle has been won

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pancho Jueves posted:

I look forward to Luann retconning all the way back to high school while still not bringing back Delta.

look she's very, very busy being president

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 02, 1958)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
lmao Val. Foster writes petty disputes so well.

Jucika "210 - Jucika Is Reading"

"Könyv means Book"

"211 - Jucika Goes On Parade"

"Éljen Május 1 roughly translates to Long Live May 1st"

Mercury Hat posted:

It's always been uncomfortable for me to read, too. It IS a typical portrayal of brother - sister dynamics, especially in mainstream media and especially in the 80s, but it's pretty deeply rooted in sexism and misogyny imo. The brother messing with the sister because she's into makeup or a boyfriend or her feminine clothing. Probably in a majority of strips he doesn't even call her by her name, it's an insulting nickname. The aggression always seems to come from the male side of the equation more often than not and is placidly supported by any parents because that's how boys are and brothers and sisters always fight.

Me and my sister were equally rude to each other growing up so the popular media portrayal made more sense. The brother could be a boor and the sister a pest or vice versa. Making it one sided is pretty nasty. In the example strip I get that the sister is trying to sneak a listen in on his conversation but I've seen enough Foob to agree that Michael is an rear end in a top hat.

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

DESTROYED :laffo:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Greg and Karen Evans sent out a message to the Luann faithful yesterday afternoon about what's about to drop that starts out "Do you trust us?" And first of all, no, but more importantly, hell no.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (August 21, 1976)

Crankshaft

The punchline is unexamined middle-class white privilege!

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 23, 1940)

Out Our Way (August 6-8, 1942)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Greg and Karen Evans sent out a message to the Luann faithful yesterday afternoon about what's about to drop that starts out "Do you trust us?" And first of all, no, but more importantly, hell no.

:suspense:

I'm not reading ahead because I want to experience this shitfest with the rest of the thread.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

kidcoelacanth posted:

If you want to trawl the archives for Gene and Mary Lou's whole deal, I'm digging through now to pin down some dates (instead of doing my actual work job):

Earliest batch on GoComics:
June 13th - June 28th, 1994: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/1994/06/13

June 9th - July 5th, 1997: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/1997/06/09

August 11th - September 6th, 2008: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2008/08/11

May 28th - June 27th, 2009: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2009/05/28

June 17th - July 7th, 2010: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2010/06/17

July 25th - August 13th, 2011: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2011/07/25

May 5th - June 30th, 2012: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2012/05/07

August 20th - September 29th, 2012https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2012/08/20

That last batch is the wedding, there's plenty more after but I only have so much time.

Hey thanks for doing this, reading the whole thing together like this really highlighted what a sweet long-form slow burn this is, it makes all the characters feel more real and honestly really shows off what a long-form medium like comicstrips are capable of. A & J is good.

Also, Evans team what the gently caress are you doing.

Breaking Cat News

I don't know who Wicket is and I don't care please just get back to nightly reports about the food bowl jesus christ

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

You know what, I have never understood the hate that the art in this comic got in the early years. It's cute. It looks cute.

Curtis

"Or I could do it right now, on this phone, that's in my hand."

Having a hard time believing that Curtis knows 50 Cent but doesn't know Shaquille O'Neal played basketball.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 19, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
it pisses me of soooooo bad when Luann gets so lovely that it becomes appointment reading to find out how they're gonna cock it up next

and ya i like the Heart of the City art from the start

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/11/42

Okay so Doctor Spin the famous eye surgeon successfully fools his own blind brother into thinking he is a different doctor using a false beard and I would presume also disguising his voice in order to do what exactly I surely don't know, but I tell you what, I am here to find out

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay so Doctor Spin the famous eye surgeon successfully fools his own blind brother into thinking he is a different doctor using a false beard and I would presume also disguising his voice in order to do what exactly I surely don't know, but I tell you what, I am here to find out

They're going to write a couple of bopping early 90's hits before fading back into the obscurity they came from.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Suddenly Aaron Hill bolts awake in algebra class, perplexed at his strange dream. He is yelled at by the bald teacher with glasses.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Suddenly Aaron Hill bolts awake in algebra class, perplexed at his strange dream. He is yelled at by the bald teacher with glasses.

Toni wakes up, realizing she almost kissed Santa Brad.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gunther stands in front of the collected cast in their lovely cafe and informs them that TJ burned down the van for the insurance money.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol:

fondue posted:

I just can't get past how much this looks like Day by Day.
:same: Yeah it's a little jarring. I have a mini-panic every time I see it.

But it's not, so I read it, and it's good.

Mercury Hat posted:

It's in the same category of casual misogyny as "men can't stand their wives".

Like what am I supposed to take away from this comic? That's just how boys are and they're unaware? They do it to people they actually like? Maybe the girl deserves it sometimes?

My sister and I were absolutely awful to each other. I'm frankly ashamed of how I acted, and I'm not sure why I acted the way I did. I assume it has to do with family trauma, of which we had some very early on. We've talked about it and we both feel the same way now--neither of us quite understand why we were so mean and abusive towards each other, but we've got a better relationship now.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Whoa, Jules! One current issue at a time!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Synthbuttrange posted:

are we still in old man mozz's story
Yep!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

YOU. CHOSE. THIS. YOU. DENSE. MOTHERFUCKER

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
must have been fate says dying man who did everything short of shooting himself to ensure this outcome

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mary and Doctor Boyfriend getting kind of grim in their meditations on society and nature. I dig it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

kidcoelacanth posted:

If you want to trawl the archives for Gene and Mary Lou's whole deal, I'm digging through now to pin down some dates (instead of doing my actual work job):

Earliest batch on GoComics:
June 13th - June 28th, 1994: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/1994/06/13

June 9th - July 5th, 1997: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/1997/06/09

August 11th - September 6th, 2008: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2008/08/11

May 28th - June 27th, 2009: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2009/05/28

June 17th - July 7th, 2010: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2010/06/17

July 25th - August 13th, 2011: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2011/07/25

May 5th - June 30th, 2012: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2012/05/07

August 20th - September 29th, 2012https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2012/08/20

That last batch is the wedding, there's plenty more after but I only have so much time.

Thank you for this. I mean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I look forward to seeing how Luann will underwhelm our nonexistent expectations yet again.