Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That questline feels very Gonkatine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

So now that I'm 80 and finally played enough GSF to have decent gear I just started trying to re-learn to do regular PvP. Holy poo poo, this game basically requires me to get a master's degree in SWTOR to be at all competitive, and I'm not sure that will be enough even if I devote my life to it. I feel like I need 2 more arms and a couple of different keyboards, plus a few hours spent mapping keybindings and overhauling UI to optimize my brain function/eye-hand coordination and merely accomplish what is recommended in the basic YouTube videos.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

wazu posted:

So now that I'm 80 and finally played enough GSF to have decent gear I just started trying to re-learn to do regular PvP. Holy poo poo, this game basically requires me to get a master's degree in SWTOR to be at all competitive, and I'm not sure that will be enough even if I devote my life to it. I feel like I need 2 more arms and a couple of different keyboards, plus a few hours spent mapping keybindings and overhauling UI to optimize my brain function/eye-hand coordination and merely accomplish what is recommended in the basic YouTube videos.

Nah don't over think it. At most I'd recommend following Swtorista's guide to level 80 gearing.

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-level-80-gearing-guide/

From there maybe spend a little time understanding your abilities and what they do, especially your defensive abilities. At that point you'll be better than 75% of the level 80 players.

Can always pop in discord and ask for tips too. What combat style are you using?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

wazu posted:

First of all I recommend an MMO mouse...I've used several and the Corsair Scimitar is my favorite.

This is my set-up and what I always recommend to people looking to get into NiM raiding or top-tier PvP...

A couple of things here, first the vertical hotbar is my basic rotation. It's right in your face and easy to keep track of. Pretty much every single spec in ToR is priority based so this hotbar goes from most to least priority. For example this is a Lethality Operative and in PvP keeping your Probes up is priority #1 so that's the first button. Apart from keeping your dots up, Toxic Blast uptime is the most important so that's second. I don't have dots on this bar cause they have no CD, your watching your opponents debuff bar not your hotbar for when you need to recast. The last 3 buttons (R, F, C) are offensive utilities, heals, and taunts.

The other main point here is that I always map similar abilities to the same slot across multiple characters i.e. my interrupt is always X, my trinket is always Z, any gap closers (Force Speed, Exfiltration, etc) are =. DCD's always start with Shift+7 and go to Shift+= based on the priority in which they should be used.

You've only got so many buttons so don't waste hotkeys on abilities that don't need to be hotkeyed like stims, the fleet travel button, and Sprint.

It's all about muscle memory...time spent thinking is time spent dying. Also remember the golden rule ABC, always be casting. APM is just as important as your rotation, if nothing else just spam your basic attack.

PvP is about situational awareness...zoom your camera out so you can see as much of the action as you can. Make your teammate that is guarding your off-node your focus target so you know when they're in combat or mezzed. Relying on chat to know where you need to be is for losers. Respond to situations (i.e. use DCD's or rotate to another node or click on bombs/consoles) <before> the situation happens, for example a Sorc who bubbles at 5% health is basically dead whereas a Sorc who bubbles at 90% as soon as they become the focus has options.

The best way to learn to beat a spec is to play that spec yourself.

Queue dodge if you need to...if there are premades or really bad players ruining your good time put them on your friends list if possible and don't queue unless they're in a WZ and/or Arena.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Nah don't over think it. At most I'd recommend following Swtorista's guide to level 80 gearing.

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-level-80-gearing-guide/

From there maybe spend a little time understanding your abilities and what they do, especially your defensive abilities. At that point you'll be better than 75% of the level 80 players.

Can always pop in discord and ask for tips too. What combat style are you using?

Immortal Jugg. Had been doing rage, but decided to switch. I was doing decent in battlegrounds, but just felt like I got embarrassed repeatedly in arenas. I did use SWTORista's guide to get gear to a basically acceptable level. I do think one thing I need to improve my focus on defensive abilities. Now that I'm playing a tank trying to figure out an approach to mixing in Guard will be added to that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wazu posted:

Immortal Jugg. Had been doing rage, but decided to switch. I was doing decent in battlegrounds, but just felt like I got embarrassed repeatedly in arenas. I did use SWTORista's guide to get gear to a basically acceptable level. I do think one thing I need to improve my focus on defensive abilities. Now that I'm playing a tank trying to figure out an approach to mixing in Guard will be added to that.

Tanks in PVP are a tricky thing. You have two options. True tanking is gearing appropriately with defensive and mitigation stats. You won't be doing much damage, but your goal in regular warzones is to protect nodes and guard swapping to keep your team alive.

Skank Tank is tank spec but using DPS mods with a shield. Immortal can do some brutal AOE damage. You won't have the same level of tankiness but you'll stay alive longer than Vengeance.

For defensive abilities the key is knowing what type of damage they protect against and when to use them. This is an older post but it's still applicable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comm...1&utm_content=1

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

First of all I recommend an MMO mouse...I've used several and the Corsair Scimitar is my favorite.

This is my set-up and what I always recommend to people looking to get into NiM raiding or top-tier PvP...

A couple of things here, first the vertical hotbar is my basic rotation. It's right in your face and easy to keep track of. Pretty much every single spec in ToR is priority based so this hotbar goes from most to least priority. For example this is a Lethality Operative and in PvP keeping your Probes up is priority #1 so that's the first button. Apart from keeping your dots up, Toxic Blast uptime is the most important so that's second. I don't have dots on this bar cause they have no CD, your watching your opponents debuff bar not your hotbar for when you need to recast. The last 3 buttons (R, F, C) are offensive utilities, heals, and taunts.

The other main point here is that I always map similar abilities to the same slot across multiple characters i.e. my interrupt is always X, my trinket is always Z, any gap closers (Force Speed, Exfiltration, etc) are =. DCD's always start with Shift+7 and go to Shift+= based on the priority in which they should be used.

You've only got so many buttons so don't waste hotkeys on abilities that don't need to be hotkeyed like stims, the fleet travel button, and Sprint.

It's all about muscle memory...time spent thinking is time spent dying. Also remember the golden rule ABC, always be casting. APM is just as important as your rotation, if nothing else just spam your basic attack.

PvP is about situational awareness...zoom your camera out so you can see as much of the action as you can. Make your teammate that is guarding your off-node your focus target so you know when they're in combat or mezzed. Relying on chat to know where you need to be is for losers. Respond to situations (i.e. use DCD's or rotate to another node or click on bombs/consoles) <before> the situation happens, for example a Sorc who bubbles at 5% health is basically dead whereas a Sorc who bubbles at 90% as soon as they become the focus has options.

The best way to learn to beat a spec is to play that spec yourself.

Queue dodge if you need to...if there are premades or really bad players ruining your good time put them on your friends list if possible and don't queue unless they're in a WZ and/or Arena.

Thanks. Like the vertical hotbar and will give it a try. Will see if I can dig out the MMO mouse I had tried at one point. I didn't love it the last go-round, but I know people use them with great success. My redeeming ability is that I do adhere to the ABC concept so a lot of stuff being spammed at people. In the heat of battle though I have never really paid attention to the cooldowns on my opponents for abilities I've hit them with, so that's another thing to figure out.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Tanks in PVP are a tricky thing. You have two options. True tanking is gearing appropriately with defensive and mitigation stats. You won't be doing much damage, but your goal in regular warzones is to protect nodes and guard swapping to keep your team alive.

Skank Tank is tank spec but using DPS mods with a shield. Immortal can do some brutal AOE damage. You won't have the same level of tankiness but you'll stay alive longer than Vengeance.

For defensive abilities the key is knowing what type of damage they protect against and when to use them. This is an older post but it's still applicable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comm...1&utm_content=1

Thanks. Yeah skank tank was my intention. I got the DPS pvp gear before switching over. I'm using a focus still rather than a shield. I do have some AOE abilities that I spam during cooldown waits, but didn't realize this was a strength I should lean on.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

The real win condition for pvp is to reach Valor 100. So always have a valor booster active, so that even in defeat, you are still progressing towards that sainted goal

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1694392978205233572?t=eYj6t4BqJFwp7L4EL4uBuQ&s=19

drat, and people say SWTOR isn't profitable.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
I started playing this again as a subscriber and they charge for quick travel now?

Is this a way to get the economy a little more in line or something?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

FreeWifi!! posted:

I started playing this again as a subscriber and they charge for quick travel now?

Is this a way to get the economy a little more in line or something?
Yes, it's one of a number of smaller and larger changes to the in-game economy in an attempt to fight its rampant inflation. I don't do enough with the GTN to say for certain, but my impression is that it has led to significantly lower prices.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Shroud of Memory (gives HK-55 and Zo-om comps) is on the sale of the day on the Cartel Market fyi for anybody that needs/wants it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/1697321868980527586?s=20

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

:toot:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Galactic Season Five news as well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

People are raising hell about the Flashpoint change. "Before I could do whatever Flashpoints I wanted! Now I'm forced to do specific ones!" and I'm over here like "uhhh when I do galactic seasons I always do one of the highlighted ones with a bonus boss anyway rather than 4 random ones".

Assuming you can still get the objective by doing the bonus boss and finishing one, it makes no difference to me

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're just mad about not being able to grind the ones they know how to skip most of.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

People are raising hell about the Flashpoint change. "Before I could do whatever Flashpoints I wanted! Now I'm forced to do specific ones!" and I'm over here like "uhhh when I do galactic seasons I always do one of the highlighted ones with a bonus boss anyway rather than 4 random ones".

Assuming you can still get the objective by doing the bonus boss and finishing one, it makes no difference to me

My go to was Story mode Meridian four times on a stealther...took 15 minutes. The only time I run Master FP's these days is carrying friends to some of the harder Achievements like Mokan.

The official forums are fairly whiny but I understand, between the new gear currencies, Galactic Seasons, PvP Seasons, and Conquest changes ToR took a hard right with 7.0 from a "do whatever you want" philosophy to "you need to these specific things every day/week."

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

:siren: Update 7.3.1 is live! Galactic Seasons 5 is now running! Finding the correct quick travel point for your mission should now be easier! The credit economy has been tweaked again and (among other changes) quick travel costs now scale with player level! New CM items let pretend you're Ahsoka or Thrawn even more than before! There's patch notes !! :siren:

quote:

In previous seasons, players embarked on their storyline missions with a new companion. Season 5 introduces a new way to engage with the story told in Galactic Seasons, with story progression now a part of the Galactic Seasons rewards. Players will unlock new story missions as they progress through the reward track, with the final mission granted at Season Level 40.

We are also adding new objectives that will involve companions being set to specific roles, Space Missions, and Operations. There are more objectives available for players who are Subscribers or have Preferred accounts.
:wow:

quote:

:drat:

quote:

Corrected typo in the Amplified set bonus description.
:holymoley:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So no new story content behind whatever they shoved in behind the new Galactic Seasons character, correct?

Nothing of interest for me, then.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Has anyone had an opportunity to check out the new way Kai Zykken sells the old armor sets? And, more importantly, do they still give out titles? I was this close to getting Notorious, dangit

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Moreau posted:

Has anyone had an opportunity to check out the new way Kai Zykken sells the old armor sets? And, more importantly, do they still give out titles? I was this close to getting Notorious, dangit

Yep he sells every one of the 6.0 armor sets. It's 10,000 tech fragments and 1 million credits. Pieces aren't sold separately, it's all in one box.

Also all of the various schematics for the crafted Onslaught gear.

You'll pop the achievement title when you wear all 7 pieces.

Edit - There's a hilarious conversation with the droid about Kai with the swtor devs making fun of themselves

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
A few other things I noticed so far:

The cost for unlocking items from the GS track is now 80 cartel coins, which is up from 60 in GS 4
It costs 1 GS Token to get the GS mission item to do on another character
The catchup option for the PVP track has been reset. No levels are currently available to unlock with credits. You could unlock up to level 11 as of yesterday. Hopefully this will get fixed
The level from the GS track that gives you the two items to increase Dark Spores drop rates only gave me one. I immediately got mail with the other item in it, but could not claim it.

Double Agent fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 7, 2023

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Medullah posted:

Yep he sells every one of the 6.0 armor sets. It's 10,000 tech fragments and 1 million credits. Pieces aren't sold separately, it's all in one box.

Also all of the various schematics for the crafted Onslaught gear.

You'll pop the achievement title when you wear all 7 pieces.

Edit - There's a hilarious conversation with the droid about Kai with the swtor devs making fun of themselves

Holy poo poo I haven't played in a couple patches but that's a drat good change.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Double Agent posted:

A few other things I noticed so far:

The cost for unlocking items from the GS track is now 80 cartel coins, which is up from 60 in GS 4
It costs 1 GS Token to get the GS mission item to do on another character
The catchup option for the PVP track has been reset. No levels are currently available to unlock with credits. You could unlock up to level 11 as of yesterday. Hopefully this will get fixed
The level from the GS track that gives you the two items to increase Dark Spores drop rates only gave me one. I immediately got mail with the other item in it, but could not claim it.

This happened to me as well. The only thing I can think is if you use the one in your inventory maybe THEN you can click the mailed one.

The cost to unlock GS in collections is honestly bullshit. You want to encourage people to go after this stuff, that alone makes it harder to motivate myself to do it. It should be 10cc max.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
lmao at needing 4 Ops to complete one GS objective.

Also adding a Heroic space mission objective...if you held my family at gunpoint and told me I could only save them by doing Heroic space missions I'd have to really think about it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Yeah, I'm not sure what the thought process was behind those changes. Well, I kind of get it for the space missions, because I assume everyone just did the very first one over and over (and may not even have bothered to actually do any shooting, just sit there and let the missions auto-complete), but maybe they could've just excluded that one in particular from the eligible missions.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

lmao at needing 4 Ops to complete one GS objective.

Also adding a Heroic space mission objective...if you held my family at gunpoint and told me I could only save them by doing Heroic space missions I'd have to really think about it.

Yeah at least Jackie posted that they're looking at the objective.

And that's the cool thing about GS, you don't need to do any objectives you don't want to. :)

My personal anger is towards Master Mode chapters. I don't know if scaling is off or what but my BiS 336 geared Operative that I've been playing for literally a decade can't even get past the first boss fight in MM kotet 16. I understand that they should be a challenge but they're impossible sometimes.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

My personal anger is towards Master Mode chapters. I don't know if scaling is off or what but my BiS 336 geared Operative that I've been playing for literally a decade can't even get past the first boss fight in MM kotet 16. I understand that they should be a challenge but they're impossible sometimes.

Yeah I'm glad I did all those cheevos before 7.0, even in 6.0 at the peak of player power there were a handful of fights you basically had to get lucky for.

The frustrating part is is that that they aren't hard because they require tactics and know how they're hard because your dumbass companion is very content to stand in the fire. Follow me and/or stand here and don't move commands would make these far easier.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I'm glad I did all those cheevos before 7.0, even in 6.0 at the peak of player power there were a handful of fights you basically had to get lucky for.

The frustrating part is is that that they aren't hard because they require tactics and know how they're hard because your dumbass companion is very content to stand in the fire. Follow me and/or stand here and don't move commands would make these far easier.

And in that particular fight you have Lana as your main companion and either Arcann or Senya as a NPC follower, so even if you were on top of the passive/attack micro managing it doesn't matter since the NPC one won't listen.

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012
So this game is a warm blanket for me that I go back to here and there over the last couple of years very casually. I subbed up front for a month to get preferred status and played through the entire Jedi Knight storyline until I finished up Eternal Throne. Really enjoyed it.

Then started up a few months ago a Sith Warrior to play through that one and I'm liking it (but not really as much as JK).... I'm up into Act III for that storyline now.

I played quite a bit over the weekend and what I noticed was I'm seeing some neat fringe parallels on the story points that seems like it would be neat to have that JK playthrough more fresh on my mind. Stuff like "Oh I remember that guy or I remember this place / conflict".

So since I play so casually I thought what might make those parallels and ties more interesting / rewarding would be to play through all of the classes in parallel to experience those connections / story points in a smaller vacuum. I know the classes aren't always on the same planet at the same point in their playthroughs, but they are this way more often than not (pre expansions).

Has anyone played through them in this way and can speak on this to see if it a more interesting way to play through all the stories? Is there an accepted order to do these on and does it potentially differ by planet. For example, on Corellia, start with Bounty Hunter then Agent, then Trooper, etc.

Thanks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Artadius posted:

So this game is a warm blanket for me that I go back to here and there over the last couple of years very casually. I subbed up front for a month to get preferred status and played through the entire Jedi Knight storyline until I finished up Eternal Throne. Really enjoyed it.

Then started up a few months ago a Sith Warrior to play through that one and I'm liking it (but not really as much as JK).... I'm up into Act III for that storyline now.

I played quite a bit over the weekend and what I noticed was I'm seeing some neat fringe parallels on the story points that seems like it would be neat to have that JK playthrough more fresh on my mind. Stuff like "Oh I remember that guy or I remember this place / conflict".

So since I play so casually I thought what might make those parallels and ties more interesting / rewarding would be to play through all of the classes in parallel to experience those connections / story points in a smaller vacuum. I know the classes aren't always on the same planet at the same point in their playthroughs, but they are this way more often than not (pre expansions).

Has anyone played through them in this way and can speak on this to see if it a more interesting way to play through all the stories? Is there an accepted order to do these on and does it potentially differ by planet. For example, on Corellia, start with Bounty Hunter then Agent, then Trooper, etc.

Thanks.

The stories swap order during the course of their stories so there's no real linear path, but I saw this a few months ago and it seems to be pretty close -

Bounty Hunter
Sith Warrior
Sith Inquisitor
Jedi Knight
Republic Trooper
Jedi Consular
Smuggler
Imperial Agent

Edit -

There's also this if you really want detailed order. :)

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012

Medullah posted:

The stories swap order during the course of their stories so there's no real linear path, but I saw this a few months ago and it seems to be pretty close -

Bounty Hunter
Sith Warrior
Sith Inquisitor
Jedi Knight
Republic Trooper
Jedi Consular
Smuggler
Imperial Agent

Edit -

There's also this if you really want detailed order. :)

Yeah, I've used the story flowchart A LOT.

I just mean like, for example that first node where all classes are around level 24 on Tatooine... anyone have any experience playing through all eight classes on that planet around the same time? Just curious if it can be rewarding to do so and if so if anyone has done the research to know what order for each node on that flowchart.

I'm sure I'm overthinking it... but I really enjoy the storylines I've experienced so far.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Oh hey. That minor patch on the 3rd lowered the level characters get sprint at from 10 to 1 for free to play accounts.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

All right, okay, I must confess I hadn't really been paying attention, but :siren: the Feast of Prosperity event is back until 7 November and there's a few new pets and decorations this year! :siren: As always, Swtorista has all the details.

Also, :siren: there's going to be a livestream about Update 7.4 on Wednesday the 18th !! :siren: Personally I can't wait to hear all about how they're shutting down the game forever next month !!!

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
LotSVizla

Code from stream to get decos. Redeem by 11/1 they said.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Crancherry posted:

LotSVizla

Code from stream to get decos. Redeem by 11/1 they said.

Loving the things they've announced so far, especially the GTN revamp.

Less impressed with them trying to give away single-use item codes in Twitch chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
Definitely. That's so dumb. Should have at least raffled them to give us a chance.

The metallic dyes look good. I'll probably buy coins for those because shiny!