Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I sat in bed watching a movie, hitting a vape and playing VS.

I love my steam deck even at its most basic use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Whatever they did to Vampire Survivors is straight up sorcery, it's gone from barely holding itself together at full tilt to absolutely buttery smooth at all times. :psyduck:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Deck 2 should come with Vampire Survivors on an integrated ROM chip

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Whatever they did to Vampire Survivors is straight up sorcery, it's gone from barely holding itself together at full tilt to absolutely buttery smooth at all times. :psyduck:

They replaced Electron with Unity.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly, every Deck sold should come with a code for vampire survivors on Steam.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drop Aperturd Desk whatever and put in VS

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Aperture desk job is a treat how dare you.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Wasn't Vampire Survivors technically running in a browser before or something? It wouldn't take much to improve on that.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah VS was coded in Microsoft Excel or some poo poo

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is it literally Jet Set Radio with the serial number filed off?
They got Hideki Naganuma to do the music so some of the serial numbers are still on honestly.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I was hoping they would include "Understand the Concept of Love" but, I think Sega might actually own the rights to that song.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

King of Solomon posted:

Wasn't Vampire Survivors technically running in a browser before or something? It wouldn't take much to improve on that.

I mean, it’s just a GL surface with a JIT-compiled program, so I don’t know why it would inherently have to be slower than on Unity, which gives you a DX surface and a JIT-compiled program. I suspect that the engine change came with some algorithmic optimization work too, which is great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If anyone was wondering, Overlord and Raising Hell work just fine on Steam Deck. Just set the controls in the display menu to "gamepad" and adjust from there; M+KB won't register the Deck and "gamepad (configurable)" crashes the game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK so I modded KOTOR on the PC, I moved the game into steamapps > common fold on the deck where all the other steam games are... how do I make the deck realize there's a new game in there and recognize it?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

OK so I modded KOTOR on the PC, I moved the game into steamapps > common fold on the deck where all the other steam games are... how do I make the deck realize there's a new game in there and recognize it?

It's been a while since I've last done something like that, but I think you just "install" it and point it to the same location. Steam will then see the folder and start verifying the files.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i just played some HOSTILE PINBALL ACTION on my steam deck and it works great in case anyone is curious (probably not i just wanted to hoot and holler)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008980/XENOTILT_HOSTILE_PINBALL_ACTION/

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Install the game normally on the Steam Deck. Then open your FTP client (or whatever) and copy the modded directory with all the files from your PC to the Deck. That will overwrite stuff and drop the new files in the right place. Then launch away.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

hannibal above has the steps for "If I have a steam game I want to mod that is already owned and installed on Deck"

Just for a general "How do I install PC games I dont own on steam:"

For PC Games my steps are:

Install it to a single folder on my PC Desktop
Move the entire folder over to the steam deck. Can be anywhere really, I use the folder Emudeck made called PC for all the games I install this way. I use Anydesk free version to move things.
Open steam Desktop on the Deck.
At the top ---> Games ---> Add non-steam game to my Library. Find the .exe of the game you just moved and add it.
It will now be in the Library. Right click it, go to properties ----> Compatibility ----> Checkmark "Force use of specific steam play...." Use the dropdown menu to select the newest protonGE

From that point it should be good to go and you can find it in your Library.

Bonus things I do while in desktop is add it to a category of "PC Installed" so I can remember everything I added that way, then also spend time on steamgriddb.com finding the correct or cool versions of the pictures for the game so my library looks fancy,

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Your Computer posted:

i just played some HOSTILE PINBALL ACTION on my steam deck and it works great in case anyone is curious (probably not i just wanted to hoot and holler)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008980/XENOTILT_HOSTILE_PINBALL_ACTION/

oh poo poo, this is by the Demon's Tilt people, isnt it? 👀

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

it absolutely is

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What game really gets the Deck cooking? I just installed one of those Honeywell thermal pads onto the Deck that CryoByte mentioned here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aai2AtxenU0 and my Deck seems to be running cooler but I'm not sure if anything is really stressing it too much. I want to let something idle on it that will push it and compare my temps to someone who's got their Deck stock.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

sigher posted:

What game really gets the Deck cooking? I just installed one of those Honeywell thermal pads onto the Deck that CryoByte mentioned here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aai2AtxenU0 and my Deck seems to be running cooler but I'm not sure if anything is really stressing it too much. I want to let something idle on it that will push it and compare my temps to someone who's got their Deck stock.

Baldurs gate 3

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elite dangerous does a weird thing where the fan stays pretty quiet in gameplay, but if you sit in the pause menu, they eventually ramp up to 100%

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Elite dangerous does a weird thing where the fan stays pretty quiet in gameplay, but if you sit in the pause menu, they eventually ramp up to 100%

This is usually a result of uncapped FPS making the easily rendered menu screens run at a billion FPS and warming up your GPU accordingly

Every now and then something comes out on PC and kills GPUs with it, I think there was some Amazon MMO that bricked a bunch of expensive RTX cards most recently

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandolphCarter posted:

Baldurs gate 3

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I don't own either. :negative:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

I don't own either. :negative:

You could probably take any recent 3d game and just disable the frame cap in the quick menu. In theory it will go as fast as it can.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

sigher posted:

What game really gets the Deck cooking?

The Ascent first 30 minutes or so seemed to really cook, then after that the entire rest of the game was normal fan operation.

(And is a great game to play on the Deck)

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Does anyone here use this feature?
https://reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/s/HPtkdXoXiL
It’s not available on the stable channel yet but seems to be out on the beta one for a while. I feel like fill would work for a lot of games that I play. I kind of hate the black bars.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kefa posted:

Does anyone here use this feature?
https://reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/s/HPtkdXoXiL
It’s not available on the stable channel yet but seems to be out on the beta one for a while. I feel like fill would work for a lot of games that I play. I kind of hate the black bars.

That’s cool

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Darkest Dungeon 2 now finally has official controller support and therefore enters its destined platform, the deck (also got verified but that still means nothing)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

This is usually a result of uncapped FPS making the easily rendered menu screens run at a billion FPS and warming up your GPU accordingly

Every now and then something comes out on PC and kills GPUs with it, I think there was some Amazon MMO that bricked a bunch of expensive RTX cards most recently

It was The New World or whatever it was called AFAIK.

Yeah this is a problem we'll known from PS4 times as well. Some games had uncapped frames in the menu, God of War I think was one and maybe HZD. If you paused to the menu and went to get a drink, by the time you came back it sounded like a Jet was starting in your living room.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

love the rare breed of devs who do it the other way around and put the GPU in chill 2D mode when opening menus or pausing

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I've been trying to set up Syncthing to sync saves between my Deck and my Odin, but failing to get it to work with RetroArch saves.

1. I installed Syncthing-GTK from Discover
  2. Followed these steps to make it run at startup as a service
  3. Yuzu saves will sync fine from
    code:
    /run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/saves/yuzu
    (on the SD card)
  4. RetroArch saves won't sync from
    code:
    /home/deck/.var/app/org.libretro.RetroArch/config/retroarch/saves
    - it detects zero files. I can't add the RetroArch path from the SD card because it's a symlink which Syncthing picks up as a file, not a browseable folder (this part sounds expected/intended).
  5. I've tried installing Flatseal and changing the permissions for Syncthing GTK, first to allow access to just the RetroArch folder within ~/.var, then ~/.var/app, and finally to everything in the home directory, but still detects no files. Tried several reboots to ensure these changes applied.

Has anyone managed to set this up successfully? There seem to be plenty of people suggesting the Flatseal step is what fixed it, but that just isn't doing the job for me. I'm wondering whether that permission change through Flatseal is only applying to the desktop app and not the daemon (I'm setting these shares up through the web GUI remotely), but I don't know enough about flatpak permissions really.

Edit: A bunch more restarts and messing around with different paths got it to work. Now to never touch the config again.

Froist fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 19, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

update: i just played an extended session and my entire face melted off

xenotilt makes demon's tilt look amateurish

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Froist posted:

I've been trying to set up Syncthing to sync saves between my Deck and my Odin, but failing to get it to work with RetroArch saves.

1. I installed Syncthing-GTK from Discover
  2. Followed these steps to make it run at startup as a service
  3. Yuzu saves will sync fine from
    code:
    /run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/saves/yuzu
    (on the SD card)
  4. RetroArch saves won't sync from
    code:
    /home/deck/.var/app/org.libretro.RetroArch/config/retroarch/saves
    - it detects zero files. I can't add the RetroArch path from the SD card because it's a symlink which Syncthing picks up as a file, not a browseable folder (this part sounds expected/intended).
  5. I've tried installing Flatseal and changing the permissions for Syncthing GTK, first to allow access to just the RetroArch folder within ~/.var, then ~/.var/app, and finally to everything in the home directory, but still detects no files. Tried several reboots to ensure these changes applied.

Has anyone managed to set this up successfully? There seem to be plenty of people suggesting the Flatseal step is what fixed it, but that just isn't doing the job for me. I'm wondering whether that permission change through Flatseal is only applying to the desktop app and not the daemon (I'm setting these shares up through the web GUI remotely), but I don't know enough about flatpak permissions really.

Edit: A bunch more restarts and messing around with different paths got it to work. Now to never touch the config again.

I love my Odin but I absolutely hate the button layout.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

haldolium posted:

Darkest Dungeon 2 now finally has official controller support and therefore enters its destined platform, the deck (also got verified but that still means nothing)

Thank the Lord, finally.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
edit: Playing Divinity Original SIn 2 for the first time on the Deck. 45 fps, 8 Watts TDP, 800 MHz GPU gives me smooth performance and about three hours of battery life.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 20, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Divinity 2 or Divinity: Original Sin 2 ?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Docked my steam deck to my tv with a random-rear end usb-c thingy I had lying around. Hooked up 2 controllers. Had a good time playing Broforce and Vampire Survivors with my bud. Good day. Good deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I remember my first docked experience where I was traveling and plugged my deck into a giant TV. I was absolutely floored by how good Resident Evil: Village looked and ran on a big screen. It was like I had a PS4 in my pocket (bag, but lets not get caught up on details).