Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
That’s a good point actually, and easily missed if you’re new, a component pouch just has all the basic no-cost components in infinite amounts, so if someone wants to cast with a pouch, buying those sorts of components is purely an RP thing.

Don’t force your players to track how many eyelashes they have just cause they want to cast in a witchy way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wanna be the one guy who refuses to use a spell focus and instead spends multiple hours of every game painstakingly shopping around for the best deal on bulk quantities of bat poo poo and twigs

I've played a few characters like this and it's a surprising amount of fun. During otherwise tedious shopping sessions you can actually have a shopping list of mundane items which is what 95% of a market would be. You get to add a bit of flavor to when you cast spells instead of just holding up some orb or whatever. My favorite part was having a shaker of red pepper flakes that I could shake into someone's mouth while casting Dragon's Breath.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
That raises a question for me, how do you folks handle when your PC's cast higher level spells that require expensive spell components? Do you make them search for those, too? Or just assume that the spell focus sucks up the gold when you cast it?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Mederlock posted:

That raises a question for me, how do you folks handle when your PC's cast higher level spells that require expensive spell components? Do you make them search for those, too? Or just assume that the spell focus sucks up the gold when you cast it?
Unless the spell specifically requires a component that's either worth money or is time-sensitive (Summon Greater Demon, for example), assume that it is in a spell component pouch. Don't make your player track bat guano.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Froghammer posted:

Unless the spell specifically requires a component that's either worth money or is time-sensitive (Summon Greater Demon, for example), assume that it is in a spell component pouch. Don't make your player track bat guano.

No, I get that part. I'm talking about the spells that explicitly require expensive components

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mederlock posted:

If a component costs more than a couple gp we make them physically obtain it before the spell can be cast. That helps to throttle high-level spells and keeps mages from dominating as much.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mederlock posted:

No, I get that part. I'm talking about the spells that explicitly require expensive components

then it is a component that is worth money

quote:

Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in “Equipment”) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.

If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell. A spellcaster must have a hand free to access a spell's material components -- or to hold a spellcasting focus -- but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.

If the Spell's Materials don't have a cost you can replace it with a Focus.

for example

quote:

Identify
1 Divination

Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)

The Focus can replace the Owl feather, but not the pearl.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
I am cruel and I like to make the 500 gp diamonds difficult to find. :devil:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I am cruel and I like to make the 500 gp diamonds difficult to find. :devil:

Sorry guys, this diamond is only worth 499 gold and 1 electrum

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Dexo posted:

See, this guy gets it :hmmyes:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Dexo posted:

"now ordinarily I'd charge 500gp for this diamond but you adventurers seem like nice folks, so I'm willing to give you a deal"
"noooooooo"

edit: finally making it to the biggest jewelry shop in town after all the others didn't have big enough diamonds only to find that they're running a sale this week

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I would argue that it's still worth 500gp even if I only paid 450 or whatever and that it should still count.
Now, a real bastard of a DM would tell you that you won't know if it counts until you cast the spell.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Just go the full gacha and make every instance of a spell component where you can use multiple, like diamonds for Revivify, to cost just under what you'd need to get by buying only one.

Don't actually.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ruining the local diamond mining industry with corporate sabotage to drive up prices and let me use my existing stock of relatively-cheap diamonds for spells

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hra Mormo posted:

Just go the full gacha and make every instance of a spell component where you can use multiple, like diamonds for Revivify, to cost just under what you'd need to get by buying only one.

Don't actually.

I don't do this in my game obviously as I only play an rear end in a top hat online, but technically RAW raise dead you have to have specifically one Diamond worth 500 gold.

Revivify works with multiple diamonds, but Raise dead specifically says One Diamond worth at least 500gp

Resurrection has the same limitation for a 1k diamond, True Rez allows you to use multiple.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Alternately, the night before the big war the BBEG floods the markets with diamonds, dropping the value from 500 GP to 350 GP. The opposing army cannot revive anyone while the baddies can rely on necromancy.

I allow for 100 GP pearls to be readily available in any major market or arcane agency since Identify is such a key spell. 500 GP Diamonds also usually available but in short supply once they hit the requisite level. Any other, fancier costly components have to make sense for the plot or locale. A 1500 GP ruby for Simulacrum or 1000 GP jewel encrusted bowl for Heroes Feast is going to be very rare and you're not going to find them outside of fancy collectors or enclaves.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
If I buy a really poo poo 20g diamond from a store and sell it to my cleric friend for 500g that totally counts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you cut the diamond in a really fancy way it's worth more. This will naturally result in the guild of jewellers/fantasy De Beers inventing the "magic cut" diamond that has lots of difficult facet work so it requires a master to invest time and effort (and is a useful graduation test for a journeyman looking to step up), but also that results in it looking like poo poo for jewellery so there's no need to waste the good clear stones on it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Zurreco posted:

Alternately, the night before the big war the BBEG floods the markets with diamonds, dropping the value from 500 GP to 350 GP. The opposing army cannot revive anyone while the baddies can rely on necromancy.

I allow for 100 GP pearls to be readily available in any major market or arcane agency since Identify is such a key spell. 500 GP Diamonds also usually available but in short supply once they hit the requisite level. Any other, fancier costly components have to make sense for the plot or locale. A 1500 GP ruby for Simulacrum or 1000 GP jewel encrusted bowl for Heroes Feast is going to be very rare and you're not going to find them outside of fancy collectors or enclaves.

Yeah, but also, then again, once you need those kind of resources they are a high enough level where traveling around is a joke.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

goatface posted:

If you cut the diamond in a really fancy way it's worth more. This will naturally result in the guild of jewellers/fantasy De Beers inventing the "magic cut" diamond that has lots of difficult facet work so it requires a master to invest time and effort (and is a useful graduation test for a journeyman looking to step up), but also that results in it looking like poo poo for jewellery so there's no need to waste the good clear stones on it.

I wonder if diamonds for magic casting would be cut different and worth more based on what they actually did in the resurrect spell. Like if you're grinding it up then you can just use a jewelry diamond, but maybe the diamond focuses divine power from your deity, so a better cut diamond would be cut to efficiently and effectively channel the power. Or if it was an offering to the deity, then the cut could have a specific value based on the deity's desire for a specific type of diamond.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wanna be the one guy who refuses to use a spell focus and instead spends multiple hours of every game painstakingly shopping around for the best deal on bulk quantities of bat poo poo and twigs

That's basically Caleb Widogast in the early parts of Critical Role Campaign 2.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If you want a 50 GP Revivify, you might just get a 50 GP outcome!

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Kaal posted:

If you want a 50 GP Revivify, you might just get a 50 GP outcome!

LOL

they are revived but only their head comes back to life

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's how we used to treat reincarnate. "Cheap & easy", but you might not get the results you want.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If a character gets resurrected and you don't use it to hang some trauma and a new story on them, did they really get resurrected?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Princess Bride revivify style

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Goffer posted:

Princess Bride revivify style

This was exactly what popped into my brain for the above post. Makes for a fun story, just need to make the player use their PC's personal assistant or something so they don't get frustrated with lack of personal agency

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Reincarnate, but the spell is treated as if the druid is rolling gacha to see what race the revived character comes back as. At 20% chance, a result of "human" is treated as the equivalent of a bronze-tier/1-star/lowest possible rank pull.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Mederlock posted:

I’m not sure if people were actually answering your question. My DM does this to a degree, but we’ve had opportunities to visit larger settlements that have jewelers or spell shops to cover the less grotesque components. An evil wizard’s lab contained something like 1000gp of your choice of spell components.” A truly out there spell component could be a quest hook in itself. I plan for my forge cleric to make a 500gp reliquary for summon celestial once he hits lvl 9.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

Reincarnate, but the spell is treated as if the druid is rolling gacha to see what race the revived character comes back as. At 20% chance, a result of "human" is treated as the equivalent of a bronze-tier/1-star/lowest possible rank pull.

As it was, as it ever shall be.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

You are returned to life, but the route back is not easy. You must, and you will, regain your strength. You start off at level one of your current class, but you level up at a significantly accelerated rate. You will match back up with the level of your party one level above where you were when you died. So if you were level nine, you're now level one, but you'll hit level 10 shortly after your friends do.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Everyone got whipped into a D&D frenzy due to BG3 and I ended up starting a new D&D campaign where the initial premise is that someone got killed in a way that requires a True Resurrection spell to bring back and the players have been tasked with finding 25,000g worth of diamonds for the spell, so imagine my surprise when I opened this thread and everyone was already talking about it. What happens if you try to cast the spell with 24500g worth of diamonds and 4 cubic zirconias, I wonder.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Ghouls are those who were attempted to be raised by cheapskates

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

What happens if you try to cast the spell with 24500g worth of diamonds and 4 cubic zirconias, I wonder.

RAW, nothing.

But, imo, if the god you're petitioning is lawful and you know they're zirconia, they should probably immediately start transitioning to a monkey paw situation. gently caress with the contractual obligations at your own risk.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

goatface posted:

RAW, nothing.

But, imo, if the god you're petitioning is lawful and you know they're zirconia, they should probably immediately start transitioning to a monkey paw situation. gently caress with the contractual obligations at your own risk.

Trying to decide which idea I like better. Monkey paw fuckery is objectively a richer story, but a bunch of my players work in tech support and I like the idea of troubleshooting a resurrection.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So Chromatic Orb is a first level spell with a 50gp diamond requirement. That’s not cheap for a first level character. In your games do you require them to have the diamond, or nah?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

GigaPeon posted:

So Chromatic Orb is a first level spell with a 50gp diamond requirement. That’s not cheap for a first level character. In your games do you require them to have the diamond, or nah?

I do it by the book, it's not like spellcasters need any more pampering IMO.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If someone wants to take it at level 1, I'd probably just let them have a Diamond on their sheet, or like their focus has a 50 gold diamond in it.

The Diamond doesn't get destroyed or consumed, so whatever.

If you take it later then yeah, but a 50 gold diamond isn't hard to find. or like have someone give it to them as an advance for a quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Unless the spell says otherwise, the components aren't consumed. So you use the 50gp diamond for a chromatic orb, then stuff it back into your components fanny pack.

If you are going to make your wizard go on a quest for each component, I think that is actually a good way to roleplay a magic man, and it could lead to some fun. But you should discuss it ahead of time to make sure everyone is on the same page. I can imagine some players would hate the hassle.

The new dnd movie had a sorcerer with a components wheel that I thought was cool, but I couldn't find out if it was based on an existing item.