Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My Dad is at the age where one of our periodic update topics is the retirement schedule of all his friends.

One friend, a year ago: “It’s not on my mind. I’m good at my job, it’s light on stress, it gives me something to do, and we get a bigger nest egg for family vacations and golf trips.”

Same guy, last week: “well there’s a new EVP…”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Democratic Pirate posted:

My Dad is at the age where one of our periodic update topics is the retirement schedule of all his friends.

One friend, a year ago: “It’s not on my mind. I’m good at my job, it’s light on stress, it gives me something to do, and we get a bigger nest egg for family vacations and golf trips.”

Same guy, last week: “well there’s a new EVP…”

My dad is convinced that men retire and then go insane (men specifically). He’s now reluctantly moving towards it at age 74 and I just feel like, poo poo, enjoy yourself. You’ve got the money, what’s wrong with you?!

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
it's understandable tbh. he's Someone right now, probably feels like he won't be anymore if he retires. personally i prefer to remember at all times that I am nobody already so that when the time comes I can gladly take my respite

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Awkward Davies posted:

My dad is convinced that men retire and then go insane (men specifically). He’s now reluctantly moving towards it at age 74 and I just feel like, poo poo, enjoy yourself. You’ve got the money, what’s wrong with you?!

Many of them do, the morbidity rate has n the first few years after retirement is high.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Re layoffs, I think I mentioned it before but my employer when COVID hit mistook the “do not layoff” list as the list of people to layoff.

So we laid off half the company on Saturday, then rehired them on Monday so we could layoff the other half.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

FrozenVent posted:

Re layoffs, I think I mentioned it before but my employer when COVID hit mistook the “do not layoff” list as the list of people to layoff.

So we laid off half the company on Saturday, then rehired them on Monday so we could layoff the other half.

Wow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

One weird trick to fire half your company AND reset seniority and vacation balances.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's amazing to be just how difficult it can be to fire people who suck poo poo in corporate yet how easy it is to lay off an irresponsible set of difficult to replace people. I mean, I'm not surprised, it just makes me sad.

My VP tried to make the best of our corporate mandated layoffs (that came a week after a promise of no layoffs). He was directed to just reduce headcount by X amount so a bunch of good people got shifted to other departments that had no such requirement, and the last few spots were used to trim the fat so that the people who got laid off loving deserved it.

Then the layoffs triggered a mass exodus and now they still can't stay fully staffed lol

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenVent posted:

pizza party should get morale back up.

e: next quarter

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Awkward Davies posted:

My father in law retired "early" at 65 because he had an insane commute and was kinda fed up with his job. He's never been the type to be able to relax, though, so now he's going insane with all the free time he has. He spends his time with a new pet project every week and posts on Facebook a lot to own the "snowflake liberals."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Awkward Davies posted:

My dad did. It was especially bad for him because he was forced to retire because of health issues. Without a 9-5 he just sat at home and watched TV all day as the disease took him. I think tying your self worth to your job is much more of a Boomer thing than for Gen X or Millennials though, so hopefully our generations fare better in retirement. If we can ever retire that is....

In Corporate thread related news, I did get the promotion I was going for so now I'm part of Executive Leadership :toot: It's both exciting AND terrifying!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Motronic posted:

One weird trick to fire half your company AND reset seniority and vacation balances.

Nah they just cancelled the layoffs so people kept their seniority and such. The union was already pretty unhappy so HR compromised on a lot very quickly.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SpartanIvy posted:

I did get the promotion I was going for so now I'm part of Executive Leadership :toot:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

This works for both promotion and retirement chat

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Awkward Davies posted:

As said earlier, it’s a real thing for Boomers. It doesn’t hit everybody, but it seems to hit a lot, especially in men. Their job provides purpose and structure to their lives as well as a social outlet, and losing it is extremely stressful to them.

A friend of mine got laid off at age 70 in a “totally not age discrimination” way and went a bit crazy sitting at home in retirement. I was able to link her up with a local non-profit where she volunteers about 20 hours a week doing gardening work. She always enjoyed gardening, so she was able to get a new purpose in life and a social activity after being mistreated by her previous employer on the way out.

In my area, golf courses are only open ~8 months a year because it’s hard to golf in snow, so it’s impossible to keep a full-time crew year after year. So you typically hire a bunch of retired men to do groundskeeping work. If you rotate schedules so nobody has to work too many days in a week, accommodate their summer vacations and doctor appointments, and make sure that there is an open tee time each day for them to get 9 or 18 holes in after work is done, you’ll have an enthusiastic crew for your summer.

It will definitely be different once it’s Xers retiring.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Missing Donut posted:

In my area, golf courses are only open ~8 months a year because it’s hard to golf in snow, so it’s impossible to keep a full-time crew year after year. So you typically hire a bunch of retired men to do groundskeeping work. If you rotate schedules so nobody has to work too many days in a week, accommodate their summer vacations and doctor appointments, and make sure that there is an open tee time each day for them to get 9 or 18 holes in after work is done, you’ll have an enthusiastic crew for your summer.

I haven't played golf in years and never intend to again, but that sounds like my dream retirement job. Gimmie a reason to get instant gratification running a big diesel mower a few times a week, then let me wrench on them in a well equipped shop.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Missing Donut posted:

It will definitely be different once it’s Xers retiring.

I'm honestly not sure about that. How many people under the age of 50 do you know who have any remaining social nets these days? I feel like socialization and friendships sort of went the way of the dinosaur sometime around 2005 or so, and it got replaced with this sorta superficial "all my friends are on Facebook" thing, or Discord/Ventrilo/whatever chats with people you haven't seen in person in god only knows how long.

There aren't a lot of non-monetized social outlets left for people, especially if you had to be mobile in your career and move away from your HS / college area. Those lovely little social connections at work could be all any of us have by then apart from a dead gay forum.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Sundae posted:

I'm honestly not sure about that. How many people under the age of 50 do you know who have any remaining social nets these days? I feel like socialization and friendships sort of went the way of the dinosaur sometime around 2005 or so, and it got replaced with this sorta superficial "all my friends are on Facebook" thing, or Discord/Ventrilo/whatever chats with people you haven't seen in person in god only knows how long.

There aren't a lot of non-monetized social outlets left for people, especially if you had to be mobile in your career and move away from your HS / college area. Those lovely little social connections at work could be all any of us have by then apart from a dead gay forum.

I was more referring to how Xers have different views of work than Boomers, plus the Xers are a smaller generation.

With the under-50s, there will definitely be some issues arising in retirement socialization, but we really won’t see how that shakes out for a while. I would bet that there will be a shift toward more people working past a normal retirement age for economic reasons than what we have today.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Reading your interview horror stories make me so glad I’ve spent my career in logistics. Even with Amazon nothing is super crazy other then even management is hell in their warehouses.

On the plus side I have a second interview which will decide for me if I will join the company. No more people management or dealing with the public are the best pluses.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sundae posted:

Yeah the local social friendships nets for me is non-existent. All my best friends are not local yet I keep in touch with them all the time thanks to Discord. I have had an impossible time making good friends locally to where I live, work, and started a family. I'm dealing with crippling "I dont have any local real friends" depression and I'm pushing 40. All the "friends" I have locally are closer with their friends that they went to high-school with locally so I feel like an outsider all the time.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

gently caress golf. Rewild the courses, what a waste of good land. gently caress golfers especially.

These shitheads that can't think of anything better to do than work into their 70s are the problem, the sooner they die out the better. If I have to work past 60 I'm becoming a domestic terrorist.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

gently caress golf. Rewild the courses, what a waste of good land. gently caress golfers especially.

These shitheads that can't think of anything better to do than work into their 70s are the problem, the sooner they die out the better. If I have to work past 60 I'm becoming a domestic terrorist.

I’ll make sure to let my dad know, thanks.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah please do that.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress you I won't do what you tell me ... gently caress you I won't do what you tell me ... (the song reaches its climax, I raise my mobility aid in the air and feebly wheeze in defiance) gently caress you... won't do what you- (my hearing aid falls off and rolls under my desk, I briefly panic about having to kneel down and find it) Motherfucker...

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Missing Donut posted:

With the under-50s, there will definitely be some issues arising in retirement socialization, but we really won’t see how that shakes out for a while. I would bet that there will be a shift toward more people working past a normal retirement age for economic reasons than what we have today.

Is this what you think the big concern of gen-xers trying to retire is going to be?

Have you noticed how hot it is lately?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

Is this what you think the big concern of gen-xers trying to retire is going to be?

Have you noticed how hot it is lately?

For those who have trouble paying for food and health care, they probably won’t be as worried about the climate as other priorities. Those more fortunate will be more able to worry about the climate. I assume many will adapt by moving to more northern states.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The northern states are also heating up, my dude.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Can we maybe keep "Nothing matters we're all doomed" in a different thread?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SpartanIvy posted:

In Corporate thread related news, I did get the promotion I was going for so now I'm part of Executive Leadership :toot: It's both exciting AND terrifying!

Congrats!!!

I’m quitting tomorrow morning and I’m anxious af about it. I wish I could just send an email, but instead I’ll do it the right way and maintain relationships.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Reporting in for genx, I made a bunch of my friends through hunting/fishing/shooting clubs, fire houses, volunteer activities for my kids schools and sports teams, the daily morning old man hangout at the welding supply store......

Plenty of us are out there. If you're too busy on your phone that's on you.

Lockback posted:

This. The hysterical poo poo needs to go where the other hysterical people hang out.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My pre-school aged kids keep all the cool acquaintances I’ve made at hobby stuff at the acquaintance level unless they also have similarly aged kids and live nearby.

School will solve for the age and proximity hurdles, then it’s sifting through bumper stickers and social media activity to make sure the cool parents don’t have abhorrent views.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
if the world is going to poo poo then i guess you'd better focus on becoming one of the guys they're hunting in the beginning of Bounty Killer(2013) before it's too late huh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Democratic Pirate posted:

School will solve for the age and proximity hurdles, then it’s sifting through bumper stickers and social media activity to make sure the cool parents don’t have abhorrent views.

Until middle/high school/puberty when your kid and the kid of the parents you get along best with have a falling out because of *reasons* and then it's just awkward nods to each other in the carpool line/you unceremoniously get cut out of their lives because sweet little Rebecca would have never been mean to your daughter, why are you making such a big deal of it?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lockback posted:

yeah. geez. corporate thread always gets rowdy on weekends, y'all don't know what to do when not posting from work. let's move on. doomer shitposts will be catching more probes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm posting from work

My.power.went out in the beginning of my shift and 20 minutes later my 2 coworkers ping me for help because they couldn't get a certain application to load. Also someone turned off our backup PC we use for WebExs in the office which is usually our backup plan. I tried to tether my laptop to wifi on my work cell but my reception was so bad that I couldn't get a stable enough connection to get logged in.

I drove to my BILs house 20 minutes away because he was the closest person with power. So of course my power comes back on when I'm in his driveway. Since he just bought his house and is doing major renovations I spend the next hour working by standing with my laptop at the kitchen counter.

Eventually I figure out that poo poo's hosed beyond what we could handle, and call my coworkers and ask them to contact the SME on call for the product owner while I drive back home. 5 minutes into my drive, they call me back, the SME's VPN is hosed and he needs to screen share one of us. And I'm the only person who can get logged in to help.

When I get to work tomorrow and see my boss I'm going to lose my god drat poo poo over this. On what planet is it acceptable that in a group of 4 people, including a product owner, that I'm the only person who can log into a critical application. gently caress me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Renegret posted:

When I get to work tomorrow and see my boss I'm going to lose my god drat poo poo over this. On what planet is it acceptable that in a group of 4 people, including a product owner, that I'm the only person who can log into a critical application. gently caress me.

Sounds like a very typical lack of planning and testing emergency systems. I see that more often than not.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The plan is to use my work cell as a tether.

That plan fell through when IT suddenly decided to silently switch our cell provider from Verizon to T-Mobile, and I live in a T-Mobile dead zone.

Everything else, what the gently caress that's on them for not having a fully functional setup this isn't new

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Renegret posted:

That plan fell through when IT suddenly decided to silently switch our cell provider from Verizon to T-Mobile, and I live in a T-Mobile dead zone.
No points for guessing who's about to be ordered to RTO full time!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Renegret posted:

The plan is to use my work cell as a tether.

Everything else, what the gently caress that's on them for not having a fully functional setup this isn't new

This is what I'm saying. Untested backup plans aren't actually plans. That's not on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Motronic posted:

This is what I'm saying. Untested backup plans aren't actually plans. That's not on you.

It's impossible to know how the cell towers will line up.