Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Our movie of the week is a more recent one but still great as chosen by Kagaya Homoraisan

Mandy - Dir. by Panos Cosmatos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI054ow6KJk

This movie will Expire on Aug 28.

Directed by the son of the greatest director of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Our movie of the week is a more recent one but still great as chosen by Kagaya Homoraisan

hell yeah. bout time we had a nic cage movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Mandy is so bad rear end

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I wasn't familiar with The Kids in the Hall before watching The Wrong Guy but I still enjoyed myself anyway. Nice little black comedy. The running gag of the investigator being impressed with the air duct escape was pretty funny. Good quotes, too. "To the broccoli field, Jedidiah, and hurry." and "I fell on my keys!" I'd watch it again for sure

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ddinkins posted:

I wasn't familiar with The Kids in the Hall before watching The Wrong Guy but I still enjoyed myself anyway. Nice little black comedy. The running gag of the investigator being impressed with the air duct escape was pretty funny. Good quotes, too. "To the broccoli field, Jedidiah, and hurry." and "I fell on my keys!" I'd watch it again for sure

*points to calendar sitting next to wood plank and knife*

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

teh sw0rd of d00m: pretty sweet. it makes sense after i've watched it tht its adapted from an unfinished book, it just fuckin ends with some pretty key plot threads dangling. insane ending though and the main actor is fuckin magnetic.

★★½

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Finally saw Pale Flower.

One scene that really stuck out was the bowling alley fight at the beginning with the elegant music playing over it. Kind of set the tone of the Yakuza life in general: ugly poo poo happening but with a glamorous veneer. And then of course echoed by the opera music at the end as Muraki moiders his guy in full view of everyone. Thought maybe it was a bit long but overall I enjoyed it!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

*points to calendar sitting next to wood plank and knife*

i was worried we wouldnt get any use of that with supper mario broth on hiatus

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Love an excuse to rewatch Mandy. For anyone who hasn’t watched it, their is a brief post credits scene

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

STONE COLD 64 posted:

what the hell lol never heard of this but nic cage is the most epickest crazy actor in hollywood so its at least going to be entertaining :slime:

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jenny Agutter posted:

Love an excuse to rewatch Mandy. For anyone who hasn’t watched it, their is a brief post credits scene

Finally, a real movie

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
let me start this off by saying in a way i hated mandy

it was the stupidest loving movie ive seen in a long time

when people talk about senseless violence in movies this is as senseless as they come

the plot is threadbare and the acting is beyond retarded

but the movie still kind of ruled

so ill say that the movie doesnt go off the rails for a bit theres a lot of setup and sense of impending doom as the hippie cultists begin their nefarious plan to kidnap them

its pretty intriguing and the titular mandy is a very interesting character, nicholas cage didnt really emote a lot but you could tell his character loved her and it set up the tragedy nicely

where the movie falls apart is when a magic ocarina is sounded and hellraisers on motorcycles or atvs or some poo poo roll in

it was so loving dumb i was astounded

and then the scene of nicholas cage in the bathroom screaming his head off and pouring vodka down his throat and all over his body

i couldnt stop laughing

the movie becomes a comedy with how completely unsubtle it is, how straight forward a lot of the revenge kills are dispatched, the overacting, the stupidity of next to every choice nic cage makes

i was going to tear my hair out if the weapons he spent 20 minutes talking to a dude in a camper about werent recovered after he was captured A SECOND TIME

next to every word out of nic cages mouth is dumber than the last thing

i think ive established that i think the movie is in many ways so daft that sometimes it turns around to silly but sometimes it doesnt and i was left to struggle not to turn the movie off

but i sort of called the post credits scene before i got to it

next to every scene looked like cage was going from one prog album cover to another, the shots were beautiful (although the visual effects bordered on House style, i think the one i liked the most was the drugged up scene where the cult leader plays a donovan album but the scene visually looks like black sabbath's Paranoid album art which is doubly fitting because she was wearing a black sabbath shirt at that point)

and it was when i saw that connection, and then i saw him essentially having a Heavy Metal male power fantasy(really hit home by the obvious Heavy Metal tribute where an animated sequence showed mandy digging in an aliens guts and pulls out the loc-nar) that i sort of was like

is he just that? and sure enough

so i think the movie set out to do what it wanted so i cant fault it too much but having times where i genuinely couldnt take it anymore and nearly pressed the x in the top right corner at multiple points makes me feel like nobody should ever try to seriously watch this for a movie club and this is the kind of movie you watch with a buddy and lol at teh funney nic cage faces and screaming

this is so hard to rate

im going with my gut with a 6/10 but in some ways its a 10/10 and in other ways its a 0/10 so im sort of hitting near the middle while still acknowledging that it was an overall positive experience

also i had this playing in my head more than a few times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtRHz6trEdk

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 17, 2023

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok pale flower time

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Paid more attention to the visuals of Mandy on this rewatch. Forgot about the chapter title cards and animated dream sequences, forgot a lot of things. Think it might merit another rewatch just to catch the things I missed this time.

I really like how the look of the movie changed with the tone, like when the house appeared more drab and dirty after Mandy died and the general unearthly look whenever drugs were involved

Going to make mac & cheese now.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Finally dragged myself away from Morrowind long enough to watch The Sword of Doom. It's an amazing movie. I really enjoyed how much of the story was told visually with very sparse dialogue because sometimes trying to keep up with the subtitles in old Japanese dramas distract from really taking in the scenery. I think leaving part of the plot unresolved is an interesting choice and a neat nod to the source material itself never being finished. Ryunosuke is a great villian and I enjoy that the movie doesn't try to make him morally ambiguous even as he tries to justify his need to kill to himself. I like the bit of foreshadowing in the beginning of the movie. The fencing match immediately before Ryunosuke's duel looks like a draw but is won by a thrust to the shoulder. Even as he continues to fight off dozens of men at the inn at the end of the movie he's clearly bleeding out from the wound he received in his shoulder.

5/5

Not sure if I'll get around to watching the other pick.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

pale flower. definitely liked this one more between th two. fuckin killer noir, it reminds me a lot of breathless which is a good thing to remind me of. its actually kind of the opposite of breathless, where theyre so young theyre world-weary and in this everyones just impossibly jaded they cant stand the world. absolutely good poo poo. ★★★★

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Forgot to post but I watched Pale Flower and loved it.

5 star classic

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

got around to watching Sword of Doom, i thought it was pretty cool. there were some incredibly good shots, thinking particularly of the first scene with the governess and omatsu, and the shot at the snowy camp with the camera moving behind all these wooden slats. and then of course everything about the ending, what a fantastic scene.

pretty cool that it was centered around a completely unredeemed villain. every time there's a choice presented, he does the worst thing. it definitely felt like its entire 2 hour length, there was a bit of meandering in the middle that could have been cut, but maybe it was worth it to see all of these character's lives slowly building up to one big confrontation only to not even give the audience that catharsis lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i had watched mandy already, but its been a few years so i rewatched it.

its as sick in its visuals and soundtrack as i remember. the slow build up of the first half is sweet (the scene w/ mandy being drugged and laughing at the dudes lovely music is my favorite part of the movie lmao) and nic cage is great at playing the role that was most likely created specifically for him.

my big problem w/ mandy is that it makes a lot of promises but doesnt really deliver on them. the revenge part of the revenge movie is just kind of forgettable. idk. the axe tomahawk and chain chainsaw parts were a good start, but i wanted more of that and for it to be better. the ending is neat but it doesnt feel earned bc of the 50 minutes before it.

3/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

teh sw0rd of d00m: pretty sweet. it makes sense after i've watched it tht its adapted from an unfinished book, it just fuckin ends with some pretty key plot threads dangling

that explains so much ab why the movie wasnt great 2 me. they shouldnt have adapted all the parts the book wasnt able to deliver on in the end -_-

thanks for the epic sig el spider

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

sw0rd of d00m could've ended with the two duelists meeting outside. Can still end without showing the duel and it would've been much better

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think hating Sword of Doom is a sign of racism, personally

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pale Flower: Great looking movie, but I think they spent so much film on getting these beautiful shots that they forgot to tell an actual story. I assume the pointlessness of everything the main character does is the point of the movie but it's boring to watch a guy just going through the motions.
2/5

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
him getting friendly with the kid who attacked him is cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

him getting friendly with the kid who attacked him is cool

loved that nd loved the bosses just hanging out and how gross.one of them was

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i forgot to watch either of Chuck's movies til the last minute and settled on Pale Flower between the two, was a haphazard viewing as a result but still enjoyed it. some cool shots especially the dream sequence and the ending, and i appreciate a more slice-of-life slow burn flick tho it started ramping up toward the end. kinda wish it had more introspection and worldview commentary like the opening had but regardless, gonna give it a solid 6.5/10. this might be the first live action JP movie i've ever seen come to think of it...gotta correct that

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pm me ur movie choice today roth

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I PM'd back

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
wots da pick.........

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Give me the damned pick!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

roth..?

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

oh my god

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

seems like a bad pick

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I also highly recommend the Oscar Winning Suicide Squad as a supplement!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

just kidding.

roth's actual pick is

GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE - dir. by Shûsuke Kaneko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lKCMIF4iA

quote:

An ornithologist investigates reports of a monstrous new species of bird just as a teenage girl is gifted an amulet found on mysterious atoll. As the creatures begin to attack, an ancient guardian with a bond to the girl emerges.

This movie will expire September 4.

Gamera can be streamed on Amazon Prime or for free on Tubi and PlutoTV for US audiences.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Look, I already changed the title

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

STONE COLD 64 posted:

just kidding.

roth's actual pick is

GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE - dir. by Shûsuke Kaneko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lKCMIF4iA

This movie will expire September 4.

Gamera can be streamed on Amazon Prime or for free on Tubi and PlutoTV for US audiences.

yesssssss

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You're still welcome to watch Man of Steel as well!

But I have been trying to force Fungah and Chuck to watch Gamera for what feels like a year now so this was a good opportunity.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Also available here which has a ton of really cool cult stuff on it.

https://www.arrow-player.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Roth posted:

You're still welcome to watch Man of Steel as well!

But I have been trying to force Fungah and Chuck to watch Gamera for what feels like a year now so this was a good opportunity.

drat you sure showed me. be a shame if I watched the whole trilogy...