Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Inceltown posted:

search function didn't work.

He really is doing a lowtax run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Nebrilos posted:

The twitter revenue-sharing thing is such obvious bullshit. The idea is that twitter kicks some of the advertising revenue you are generating to back to you? But twitter is less profitable than it has ever been! It doesn't have any revenue to share! Elmo gave a few promotional payouts to some of his friends to try to create buzz, but other than that, no one is actually going to get any non-trivial amount of money.

This reminds a bit of those pyramid scheme nft games. Where plausibly is the money coming from to allow payouts? Why would someone think that there is enough money floating around for this to work?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Spazzle posted:

This reminds a bit of those pyramid scheme nft games. Where plausibly is the money coming from to allow payouts? Why would someone think that there is enough money floating around for this to work?

Only the dumbest people in the world buy Twitter blue. We are watching, in real time, as some of the loudest and dumbest assholes on the planet get fleeced because they don't know how anything works.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It really feels like some end of days poo poo. Like everybody in society with a grifter gene is suddenly going beast mode on slaughtering their way through the whole rest of humanity, harvesting all available money as fast as possible

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Data Graham posted:

It really feels like some end of days poo poo. Like everybody in society with a grifter gene is suddenly going beast mode on slaughtering their way through the whole rest of humanity, harvesting all available money as fast as possible

Knowing we have hit the point of no return years ago, the capitalists are ripping the last pieces of copper out of the walls.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

https://twitter.com/lindayaX/status/1692705481653973132

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

We're working on something better than Block... It's called BlockX, and it's functionally the same thing as Block but it costs an extra $.99 per month.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's better than a single block, it's a whole sequence of interlinked blocks

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

what if we put blocks on the blockchain??

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hi, I'm Elon Musk, and I'd like to talk to you about BloX. I believe that everyone deserves to have their voice heard, and that's why we're introducing BloX. When you Block a user on Twitter, we'll send a direct message to the person you blocked with your home address and phone number so that they can hopefully resolve the issue between the two of you. This will lead to better communication and better understanding, and I really think you'll like it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Hi, I'm Elon Musk, and I'd like to talk to you about BloX. I believe that everyone deserves to have their voice heard, and that's why we're introducing BloX. When you Block a user on Twitter, we'll send a direct message to the person you blocked with your home address and phone number so that they can hopefully resolve the issue between the two of you. This will lead to better communication and better understanding, and I really think you'll like it.

A collaboration with Linus Tech Tips!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It’ll be like eBay where you bid to block a user, and they bid to not be blocked, and the highest bid wins

BloX is entirely too clever for Elon. I’m guessing something like Privacy Plus

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arivia posted:

A collaboration with Linus Tech Tips!
Oh god no, now what?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

It's not entirely true that Elon can't get rid of the block feature. He can, it would just mean removal from the apple and google stores. That would be such a hilariously bad outcome for the company, that I think people are just assuming Elon can't be dumb and pigheaded enough to do it. I dunno. A lot of things during Elon's reign are like, "nobody could be dumb enough to do [x]" but then [x] kept happening. Then again, he was smart enough to back down against that guy with the multimillion dollar severance in his contract. So it really kinda feels like even odds.

Infuriatingly, one value of [x] above is actually just the letter X.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Oh god no, now what?

Oh man I don't know how you missed it. The Tl;dr is that Gamers Nexus was going to do a video on how LTT's data is often wrong and to find out why the don't correct it and then they found A LOT of really sketchy poo poo including them selling auctioning a one of a kind prototype that was sent to them that the actual owner was still expecting to have returned. LTT responded basically going "UH NO EVERYTHING'S FINE" and then poo poo hit the fan. One of their employees came out saying that she was sexually harassed, belittled, and given so much poo poo about taking any PTO that she SLICED HER OWN THIGH OPEN so that she would have to go the ER and no one would sass her. A recording of an HR meeting was leaked and it was not great. Linus came out with an apology video that was tone deaf as hell, basically said none of it was their fault, and now one of their sponsors DBrand has basically disavowed the whole company.

It has been blowing up reddit and youtube the past few days, and has actually hit Canadian national news.

Soysaucebeast has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Aug 19, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Soysaucebeast posted:

now one of their sponsors DBrand has basically disavowed the whole company.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The whole LTT fiasco kicked off because during LTX, the LTT tech expo, they gave office tours and during one of the tours that went through the labs someone asked what differentiated their lab to the benchmarking and analysis that Hardware Unbox and Gamers Nexus do. The LTT employee, in their response, made a claim (I don't remember the exact wording and it isn't that important because it wasn't that bug gently caress crazy of a claim) that the lab would basically produce more valid results. GN's first video was basically in the frame of, "LTT's videos, when they're more just infotainment are fine, but if they want to move into the more data driven analytics space they really need to tighten up some sloppy work that is embedded in their workflows because of a self imposed very aggressive publish rate," and then showed a lot of receipts. Plus the Billet Labs water cooler prototype situation.

Linus then made a post on the LTT forum that basically doubled down and avoided blame or admission of wrongdoing and mostly focused on the Billet Labs situation . It just ended up pissing everyone off in the LTT community that was plugged into the situation, GN did a response video basically correcting the record and expressing disappointment in Linus for loving up so badly because this was an easy layup to just admit they've made some mistakes while rushing and here's how they're going to get even more awesomer when they correct it and said he was done with this situation.

The employee was someone who left 2 years ago, had left an anonymous Glassdoor review when she left that in the vague posting way those go covered what she came public with. When she did come public she said she hadn't before because the LTT fanbase is wildly toxic and relentlessly go after anyone on the bad side of LTT with her having already gotten harassment and abuse from them before when she first left and this situation let her feel like she had some cover to go public.

The LTT response video didn't mention the toxic workplace allegations because everything was happening all at once and she came forward not long before the video went live, but the new CEO of LMG responded to The Verge of all places who covered the story saying that they were going to hire a third party HR auditing firm and committed to publishing the results when the report was done.

LTT in their video said they were effective immediately stopping all video publishing to rework all their workflows to improve quality and when they start up again it'll be at a slower upload rate to ensure quality is maintained.

The whole thing is just a series of rakes that Linus seemed to be trying to speed run his way through.

e: oh also, one of the things the employee said was that when she went to management about the harassment she was told that it was likely because of sexual tension and she should just go on a coffee date to resolve it. In the HR video that was leaked that was covertly filmed just after when the employee would have left Linus said that when you have an issue with another employee you should first try talking it out with them but that if you don't want to there are anonymous forms they can submit that'll go to upper management. At that time they also didn't have a formalized HR department. While you couldn't see anything in the video because the camera was pointed at the side of a. computer, from context, Linus was addressing everyone in the office by standing on a table. At the end of the, "it has come to our attention that there was an incident that we can't go into details about, so here is our mandatory no harassment meeting," a senior manager asked a joke question with no reprocussions to Linus if he was just going to stand on the table or give everyone a dance. This person is the head writer and the employee was the company's social media person.

Dameius has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Aug 19, 2023

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Elon continues to make genius moves with Twitter:

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1693021147447632062?s=20

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Think how much space those links took up!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Infuriatingly, one value of [x] above is actually just the letter X.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Holy poo poo. Why do they have a box of broken glass? That is a stunning post, especially coming from a sponsor.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Holy poo poo. Why do they have a box of broken glass? That is a stunning post, especially coming from a sponsor.

They make screen protectors so I imagine this is a result of their testing or whatever.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My fav thing about this despite how obvious they are saying they will cut ties with linus if the latter does not behave, is that the reddit post about it has a 1k+ upvoted comment commending d brand for " not joining the linus hate mob"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inceltown posted:

the search function didn't work.

really trying to speedrun lowtax

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

My fav thing about this despite how obvious they are saying they will cut ties with linus if the latter does not behave, is that the reddit post about it has a 1k+ upvoted comment commending d brand for " not joining the linus hate mob"

I am getting the impression that they already had a contract in place, and that there might still be some ads of theirs showing up on lmg vids once they start running again, but those are what was already paid for, and they're cutting ties now.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1692622225524822497

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
"Living in _____'s mind rent free" feels like a weird rear end catch phrase that everyone is using, in the way that everyone tries to sound like Tony Montana but end up just sounding awkward and sad.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

credburn posted:

"Living in _____'s mind rent free" feels like a weird rear end catch phrase that everyone is using, in the way that everyone tries to sound like Tony Montana but end up just sounding awkward and sad.

Because everyone uses it for the stupidest things like "you reacted to a thing? heh rent free.."
I think it's fine in a situation like this where musk has ridiculously broken the high score machine and so blatantly wasn't happy about it but really really needs to keep insisting his high score matters

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

Sounds like the phrase is living in your mind rent free.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Unblocking a guy 3 years later just to make a snarky comment probably qualifies for the "Living rent free in their mind for 3 years" comment. Tons of people (correctly) talk absolute poo poo to Musk on Twitter and he ignores most of it. This is a guy he blocked for being annoying and three years later remembered him and unblocked him just so he could reply to their 3 year old tweet.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It's a perfectly appropriate phrase that just gets horribly overused by people trying to use it to clap back and pretend they aren't bothered by stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

credburn posted:

Of course I let people live in my head rent free. I'm not a brain landlord.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Brainsquatting would be a good title for a right wing celebrity cash grab book

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

https://twitter.com/shrekpissslave/status/1688186626667581440?s=61&t=N2RxjCcZEoNL3LJNhAQ0dg

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Data Graham posted:

It's better than a single block, it's a whole sequence of interlinked blocks

A system of blocks interlinked

Interlinked

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well now I think it's funny

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Wolfechu posted:

Need the figures on how much he's spent on Goldbelly cookies

I'll bet that it's enough to make you pop your top!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Community notes ftw
https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/1692505766723268740?t=9U1hFUnH70E_EpjsoU4__Q&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

https://twitter.com/cocoafox023/status/1693250939908690129