Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i am not saying that game designers should receive feedback from the somethingawful forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i am not saying that game designers should receive feedback from the somethingawful forums
Too late.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive given feedback to devs.

I told them to tighten up the graphics on level 3

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tbf they were pretty loose

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Have you considered the fact that my opinions are always 100% correct though.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Crystal Project's endgame is so weird, thanks mostly to Summoner. Here's a class that specializes in just utterly shutting down your enemies! 100% Silence, Blind, and Paralyze, plus Reflect, 2x 100% dodge to all party members, revive all and auto-life, plus some miscellaneous damage in all the other elements. But you can only use each of those spells once and they cost so much MP in a game where MP recovery is godawful. You play most of the game careful and methodical with your perfect information, up until you enter endgame and get this class that encourages you to try and damage race everything. I guess it's intended to be cathartic, especially since you have to beat optional bosses to get the spells at all? It's not bad, just strange.

The EO4 jobs mod was fairly good throughout. Landsknecht could use more scaling on the Links to make them weaker earlier and stronger later but is otherwise good and interesting, Sniper is a great complement to Hunter (and Eagle Eye is a useful secondary skill for Rogues or anyone else that needs to play with their turn order), Medic's a good sidegrade to the standard starting healer class, and Nightseeker is an interesting optimization puzzle with how to gear them and how to use their double-turn passive to maximize their DPS focus. Arcanist and Runeseeker both seem on the weaker side and Imperial's a little too straightforward, but all in all it's solid.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I disagree, devs should only solicit advice from the SomethingAwful forums.

Surely nothing can go wrong!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Einander posted:

Crystal Project's endgame is so weird, thanks mostly to Summoner. Here's a class that specializes in just utterly shutting down your enemies! 100% Silence, Blind, and Paralyze, plus Reflect, 2x 100% dodge to all party members, revive all and auto-life, plus some miscellaneous damage in all the other elements. But you can only use each of those spells once and they cost so much MP in a game where MP recovery is godawful. You play most of the game careful and methodical with your perfect information, up until you enter endgame and get this class that encourages you to try and damage race everything. I guess it's intended to be cathartic, especially since you have to beat optional bosses to get the spells at all? It's not bad, just strange.
by the end of the super optional megaboss fight my Summoner literally could not do anything because I had spent all their summons (with every mitigation/max mp up possible) and what little MP was left on red mage spells

it was still the best class, it owns

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Einander posted:

Tbf the "3-4x DPS burn the boss, fingers crossed they win" strat comes online before you can even get Summoner, it's just easier/safer with it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
so awkward how disgaea 2 has everyone get this bit of internal monolog towards the end but, only two of them have anything to have a monolog about. i feel like the plot of this game takes until like the last 1/3 to actually go anywhere and it makes the whole pace of the thing feel bizarre

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think probably could have condensed the two "Axel kidnaps Adell's siblings" into one chapter, as well as the two tournament chapters. Even when I played the game on release I could tell the middle section was weirdly paced.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's weird because it's one of the least complicated ps2 nis srpg plots but it also is one of the most meandering. like i just don't know why 90% of this game happens. it's not for lack of plot there's just a whole lot of stuff in it that's either too predictable or feels like it's just there to fill out some time. disgaea 1 had some pacing issues but it was more with how much it piled in at the end, disgaea 2 feels like there is absolutely nothing coherent going on until you hit the point where disgaea 1 went nuts

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
good news everyone, while sveta leaves your party after one dungeon in dark dawn I'm now at the point where she's rejoined

game continues to be pretty good when nobody's talking, craggy peaks and the phantasmal bog are solid dungeons and i really like the little optional sequence where you smoke some dream leaf to cross over the dream version of a closed border town for a hidden summon

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Disgaea 2 just likes the slow burn.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Or likes meandering. Perhaps both.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love the slow burn when it's done right but disgaea 2's cast doesn't really have the depth of interactions and personality for it. disgaea 1's cast weren't exactly deep either but they were deep and unusual enough for their writing to be surprising and memorable and i dont feel the same is ever true about 2's, adel and rozalin's dynamic isn't bad but it also hits all the notes you'd expect the moment you see it coming up so it just never really grabbed me in any significant way and nobody else has anything going on at all really. yukimaru kinda has stuff but she's too sidelined for it to be interesting. axel has something but axel is a joke character

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Disgaea 2 is not great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I haven't played in a decade or so but I was a fan. Solid game imo

Think it had one of the better difficulty curves out of the Disgaea games? Found it easier to get into than Disgaea 1, which I had dropped and had to get back to after 2.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Gamer here to say Disgaea 2: ftw

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I have an important question about Xenoblade Chronicles 3:

Is Soulhacker the kind of Blue Mage that gets hilariously broken if you play it right, or the kind of Blue Mage that basically has to complete a bonus superboss to get one sort of good spell and that's all they're good for?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I have an important question about Xenoblade Chronicles 3:

Is Soulhacker the kind of Blue Mage that gets hilariously broken if you play it right, or the kind of Blue Mage that basically has to complete a bonus superboss to get one sort of good spell and that's all they're good for?
most of what makes soulhacker like, fantastic is in the post-game or near the endgame but you can use them as a pretty good dps in the maingame if you're willing to hunt stuff down.

Endorph posted:

soul hacker is a class where you both kinda want everything and also the best stuff it has unlocks in the final dungeon/postgame, but you can make it a decent dps midgame.

toxic gas from spectral remy is an okay aoe attack that gives power charge which is nice to have, horn dance from Perspicacious Oldar is an aoe ability that does bonus damage for every enemy in the fight which is really good for grinding or for some of the gimmick fights with a bunch of adds, dino flash from Fineblade Faltaar deals bonus damage when you're above 90% HP, spit beam from mobile vespa is an unblockable attack with a high damage mod.

poison spray from rambler curalie is pretty weak but bleed is a decent status. shark shock from intrusive neville is an okay power mod and a high crit rate, so you can use it if you stick crit damage gear on your soul hacker. aquatic missile from frolicking parker is pretty mediocre but inflicts topple if you need that for a reaction. battle pheromone from gracious titania is a crit up in an aoe around the user, which is nice as a support damage. hawk shot from terrorbird zieger is a break, same as aquatic missile, mediocre but reactions are nice. dragon decree from hardscale gouran is another power charge but in an aoe, which is extremely strong. piercing laser from besieger sheritt is an okay power mod with bonus damage based on how many of your other arts are on cooldown, which makes it nice to use if youre running longer cooldown stuff but is pretty weak in chains.

skills wise, amazing growth from tenderling rumi gives you bonus damage based on how long the fight lasts which is nice for bosses or unique monsters. awakilling from widdershins radler gives you temporary bonus damage when you get rezzed which is also nice for bosses/unique monsters. dangerous claws is a big one, it gives you 20% crit rate and 50% crit damage. its from soaring virion. works really well with shark shock obviously. supercharged from determined vatslav boosts your damage for each art off cooldown, which is nice in chain attacks or at the start of fights. terran warrior from ghosting lulika boosts damage by 50% when youre on land. underworld warrior from unobtrusive liggy gives you a huge damage boost when an ally is downed. the big thing about this one is that im pretty sure its a permanent buff when an ally goes down, it doesnt go away when theyre picked back up, so its very good since youre always gonna have one or two people go down in tougher fights

some of these are enemies are in the 60s so you might have trouble taking them on rn but a lot of them are in the 40s and im pretty sure all of them are available if you just got soulhacker. you should be able to mix and match these into a decent dps setup that at least keeps pace with the other dps classes. dont bother trying to make soul hacker a tank or healer until endgame/postgame.

the main thing they're good for in the main game is dragon decree and the buffs when you/an ally gets rezzed

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Soul Hacker is great because it was the earliest class where I could have like break, topple and then a combo ender in one guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/god-wars-the-complete-legend-switch/

So i don't know if this is actually *good* but God Wars is going to be delisted on the 28th so NIS put it on sale for $4. So if you're even remotely curious might be a good time to grab it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God Wars can best be described as 'serviceable'

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

What I played of God Wars felt very standard but also it was real slow too. I can tolerate a game with mediocre gameplay but not if it's moving like molasses.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just checked the PS4 version I have cos I never bought the DLC to make it the same as the Switch version and looks like it's already delisted there lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why is it being delisted?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/14338-nis-america-to-delist-six-games-from-psn-and-switch-including-god-wars-and-natural-doctrine

Didn't say but likely to do with Kadokawa spinning is game publishing arm off into a different company.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

God Wars isn't good or even interesting in a bad way. If you want a mediocre SRPG about a character being joined by a bunch of random freaks as they travel the land, Koei Tecmo recently trademarked Saiyuki Journey West so that might be getting a remaster or port or whatever.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Welp, glad I picked up The Lost Child when I did since it's already gone and was two months ago. I've been playing it recently and while it's not bad it's also not amazing, but it's scratching that particular SMT-ish dungeon-crawler itch at the moment.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

TurnipFritter posted:

God Wars isn't good or even interesting in a bad way. If you want a mediocre SRPG about a character being joined by a bunch of random freaks as they travel the land, Koei Tecmo recently trademarked Saiyuki Journey West so that might be getting a remaster or port or whatever.

I mean...four bucks. (I already bought it lol)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that weird reverse tower defense coffee shop game came out on steam (Affogato) that a few of us played the demo for a few nextfests ago.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

that weird reverse tower defense coffee shop game came out on steam (Affogato) that a few of us played the demo for a few nextfests ago.

It looks cool, I've added it to my wishlist but I might just pick it up this weekend

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Wow, so, Troubleshooter just kinda ends, doesn't it?

I mean there's the clown DLC, which I'm starting now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also known as the LGBT rights dlc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Currently debating how much I want to grind jobs in these paths leading to Eternia Central Command in Bravely Default 1, where the enemies drop about five times as much JP as the last area but put me near death after only a couple of battles. Yes I found the little shack off of the one path where you can rest for free.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
beat disgaea 2. decent game but i feel like it got way more interesting like minutes before it ended

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like disgaea 2 but its more interesting for me in the context of how it doesn't quite fit with the rest of the series in terms of tone

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's a love story baby just say yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
golden sun dark dawn: when i first played this as a kid i never actually used sveta because i thought karis was cute and had it in my head that i should only use one of each element and never messed around with djinn setups or anything. they really just, let sveta slam enemies into the ground for 600 damage a turn when the rest of the party combined is doing 300 at best without summoning. it's unreal