Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i mean im fine with insanely overpowered items not existing in the game but occasionally they make someones month/year. im not getting a shako and the game isnt even remotely balanced around it, so who the gently caress cares lol

like a shako in this game gives +4 to all skills. thats build defining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I mean the game isn't balanced around the easily attainable barber either so I don't have a clue what they're doing

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

flashman posted:

I mean the game isn't balanced around the easily attainable barber either so I don't have a clue what they're doing

If it helps, neither do they.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Last King posted:

yes, a lot of games are releasing as early access - even if they don't call it that. they have a lot less content, a number of systems not working / cut out, and people still buy them.

if this game isn't a shining textbook example of one, i don't know what is. about the only thing that has worked since "release" without any errors is the real money shop.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

d4 had a sprawling, unfocused, fairly unproductive development over a bunch of years and ~2 years ago they hired rod fergusson specifically to oversee the team taking what they had then and smooshing it into something they could ship. It's not really finished, idk if anyone would describe it that way and the fact that they're still talking about adding core endgame systems 3 months after release should make that pretty clear. WaPo reported on all of this at a couple of points in the development, particularly after the release date was decided when suddenly a bunch of employees felt like talking to journalists about the struggles of D4s development

My issue isn't with the game - it has plenty of issues well trodden and covered in this thread - it's with goons' major misunderstanding of what early access actually means, and the way they trivialize the term

I am seeing a lot of it in a lot of games threads on here lately, not just D4, if a goon doesn't like what he/she sees, they call it early access, like they think they're some enlightened critic who's found a new and glib way to post. It's like, have you actually tried an early access game before, or been part of the process of one? Just because you don't like the state of the game doesn't mean it's early access. I don't know how often I need to repeat this

It's just easier to call the game bad

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ah pedantry

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They could have released this without the campaign for six months as a beta or ea or whatever and ended up with a good product most likely

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I’m fine with the Uber uniques being lottery items, but they should be like a lottery winner, where it’s noteworthy. At the very minimum there should be a server wide announcement, but you could do so much more, have all players magic/gold find go up by 100 for the next 15 minutes, give all the mobs a skin effect (gold version of avenger NMD) and make a statue of the lucky character appear in town for the next hour.

You would have to balance the effect with the rarity, but something to make it feel like a shared world..

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've said it a bunch but it's obvious that for a season they're just gonna boost the drop rate of uber uniques on some random tunnel dungeon elite and fomo as many people back to get them while they can, instead of making real content lol

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Verviticus posted:

i mean im fine with insanely overpowered items not existing in the game but occasionally they make someones month/year. im not getting a shako and the game isnt even remotely balanced around it, so who the gently caress cares lol

like a shako in this game gives +4 to all skills. thats build defining

It’s not build defining. There are no builds around it because it’s so absurdly rare. I’ve already taken a 4 stack of level 70-80 characters through a nm100 with my mendeln necro and I’ve killed Lilith with a bonespear and mendeln build. At this point I’m out of poo poo to do and a shako isn’t going to change anything if I get one to drop. Sure I might be able to clear a nm100 slightly faster but it isn’t going to break the game wide open. IMHO there needs to be a way to get a guaranteed Uber unique each season. Clear a nm100 and Lilith solo and it gives you a key to a super hard dungeon that drops one at the end.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

ixo posted:

sorry to keep you all waiting, I know you've been sweaty and anxious thinking about it

Grats dude! I knew you would get her. It sucks she’s drat near impossible as a group.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

flashman posted:

They could have released this without the campaign for six months as a beta or ea or whatever and ended up with a good product most likely

I honestly don't think the people involved in making high-up decisions, despite it being very much billed as A Service Game, can see past not wanting to "reveal" anything. Like if any part of the storyline leaked (via datamining or whatever) then no one would buy it. Pretty much the same outlook as they had on D3, and we all know what kind of a masterpiece they were hiding there.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Mailer posted:

I honestly don't think the people involved in making high-up decisions, despite it being very much billed as A Service Game, can see past not wanting to "reveal" anything. Like if any part of the storyline leaked (via datamining or whatever) then no one would buy it. Pretty much the same outlook as they had on D3, and we all know what kind of a masterpiece they were hiding there.

Lol no spoilers! Campaign was just a chore in mashing escape anyway.. I guess I wouldn't have been so confused about the end boss not being diablo if I hadnt though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I did a malignant tunnel and got 2 barbers. Did they up the drop rate?

I need to find a new amulet to experiment with the 2 second barber version, I bet it feels tons better.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Kaddish posted:

I did a malignant tunnel and got 2 barbers. Did they up the drop rate?

yes

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’ve gotten a shitload of wrathful invokers and barbers since the patch.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

flashman posted:

Barbers the way too powerful seasonal gimmick item. Supposed to feel unbalanced.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

I'm playing pretty much a pure bear druid and I can't tell if my regular duo partner rogue just sucks at putting in damage or if killing mobs in this game is tediously long and boring.

Like gently caress, it feels like I'm tanking even non-elite stuff for a long time while it very slowly gets burned down.

you may be confusing the game with WoW, where a bear druid would “tank” and a rogue would burn things down. there’s no tanks in this and you are half the problem.

another major difference is talent/skill/gear choice isn’t a matter of 10-100% effectiveness, it’s like 0-10,000% due to stacking synergies you have to find. you either have arpg brain or look up a build to remain effective into the mid-high levels.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

Barbers the way too powerful seasonal gimmick item. Supposed to feel unbalanced.

So the games unbalanced but only in this way! This is rationale for preventing it from being unbalanced in another way with a non existent drop rate.

The shako is pretty bland with +4 to skills anyway, strong but bland. The oculus was almost cool besides having a downside (which isn't so bad really). The main uselessness was the non linear scaling on the CDR of teleport at higher levels. To lose an aspect and have a downside it should give you teleport as low as you can get your attack speed, now that's a cool item.

It's still usable with a barber for nm dungeons +30 levels in a teleporting lucky hit style build with meteor and orb, I'd change my barber to try out the dump all mana on orbs jewel but they don't come out straight and I doubt it remains feasible anyway, because the barber is the only thing that enables any sort of neat build you might want to try because of the tepidness in their itemization.

flashman fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 19, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shako et al aren't required for endgame builds. They're fine as lotto prizes. Yeah some are way good and will significantly boost your build but you don't need them for a functional build.

They're well beyond even enigma.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Season Journey is most definitely gonna have a permanent uber unique drop rate increaser juice or something in it. Come back every season to shave off another zero from your drop rate!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Season Journey is most definitely gonna have a permanent uber unique drop rate increaser juice or something in it. Come back every season to shave off another zero from your drop rate!!

Actually I think it’s gonna have a couple flawless gems and three coiling wards at the end

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Just remember - you might not like the drop rate of shako, so it's clearly an early access game

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Mustached Demon posted:

Shako et al aren't required for endgame builds. They're fine as lotto prizes. Yeah some are way good and will significantly boost your build but you don't need them for a functional build.

They're well beyond even enigma.

Dude Enigma is on a level entirely different than any of the d4 uber uniques. Giving any class the ability to cast teleport is insane.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I have to believe that people who don't think that the current drop rate of uber uniques isn't awful must not truly understand just how rare these things are.

Based on data mining you can expect to see 400,000+ Temerity pants drop for yourself before you ever see a single uber unique. You could play until the end of your life and never see one. I wouldn't be surprised if the special season 1 uber unique doesn't even drop for anyone before season 2 starts.

It's stupid and pointless.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I was just about done with this season and then my Necromancer found a max rolled Lidless Wall and suddenly this game is fun and cool again???

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Martian Manfucker posted:

I have to believe that people who don't think that the current drop rate of uber uniques isn't awful must not truly understand just how rare these things are.

Based on data mining you can expect to see 400,000+ Temerity pants drop for yourself before you ever see a single uber unique. You could play until the end of your life and never see one. I wouldn't be surprised if the special season 1 uber unique doesn't even drop for anyone before season 2 starts.

Lol I totally missed they added a new Uber unique so I looked it up and man that aspect is lovely when you realize you have to give up either two legendary affixes or a single affix with the stats doubled. Who wants a situational random shrine buff. It’s worthless against a boss or Lilith.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

im not really upset that they didn't add tyrael's might or some other callback to a d2 unique and i perceive the uber uniques the same way. they dont exist and dont really matter to me

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

El Scandelouse posted:

Dude Enigma is on a level entirely different than any of the d4 uber uniques. Giving any class the ability to cast teleport is insane.

Yes lol the enigma is an awesome item with cool benefits. D2 teleport without the long rear end cd even

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

flashman posted:

Yes lol the enigma is an awesome item with cool benefits. D2 teleport without the long rear end cd even

Right. And it was also easier to get than any of the d4 uber uniques cause you could craft up runes.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

It’s almost as rare as winning the lottery.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I had hoped that D4 would have interesting enough itemization to keep the endgame interesting, it does not. It was nice of them to make legendaries something you can build and move to different slots.

Main issue is that you need god-drops to consider moving something you've been using for 20 levels out of a slot, and the game is still in the majority dropping sacred items on me 20+ levels after they became obsolete.

The seasonal cancer gems' capstone is just an overcomplicated description for "multiply your damage by 5-10x." Congrats you can now endgame.

And the paragon board is super clunky and makes me feel locked into a build because it takes me 30m to rebuild an even somewhat complicated board. I have been able to make Fireball sorcerer work in late game. If I want to change from fireball I have to re-itemize heavily and then sit there loving around with my paragon board. I frankly preferred the D3 setup, it wasn't deep but it was elegant.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Eh enigma's less awesome after you learn how D2 generates maps and realize endgame is pretty much chaos sanctuary. Or the good terror zones where you do not want to skip stuff.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mustached Demon posted:

Eh enigma's less awesome

Nice try Diablo.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Can someone explain (or link) how the barber gem boosts damage that much? It actually seemed like a downgrade with pulverize when the timer roll was longer than vulnerable procs lasted, but since moving to tornado and a shorter roll poo poo just blows up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My issue isn't with the game - it has plenty of issues well trodden and covered in this thread - it's with goons' major misunderstanding of what early access actually means, and the way they trivialize the term

I am seeing a lot of it in a lot of games threads on here lately, not just D4, if a goon doesn't like what he/she sees, they call it early access, like they think they're some enlightened critic who's found a new and glib way to post. It's like, have you actually tried an early access game before, or been part of the process of one? Just because you don't like the state of the game doesn't mean it's early access. I don't know how often I need to repeat this

It's just easier to call the game bad

sure, though ironically blizz employees themselves are the source of the 'our players will just beta test it on live.' hell ion caused a huge exodus from wow after stating that in an interview. anyways i don't disagree about the strict semantic correctness of it, but if u interpret it simply as people talking about the phenomenon of games getting released while blatantly unfinished/missing core planned features it doesn't seem out of place. it's not the phrase I'd use for it, but eh w/e we're just some assholes on a half dead message board

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nah I get it. It's just that none of them actually seem like they would be all that impactful in reality, so I just don't care if I never see one. +4 to all skills sounds impressive, but by the time you get one and already have a functional build, what's it actually going to do for you? A little more damage and/or the ability to take a few extra skill tree passives you couldn't before, while still having 5/5 on your active skills? My eternal realm druid was already up to something stupid like +14 on his main damage dealing ability by the time I hit 100. Meh

It doesn't seem like the kind of thing that opens up any new builds or anything, but just lets you run up bigger numbers, at a point in the game's progression when you're usually more interested in stacking defense anyway. Plus you're already bumping into the problem every other unique has: you have to sacrifice aspects AND the ability to get stats relevant to your build to run it, which often works out to a bad trade.

That said, I agree that the whole thing is pointless and stupid, partially for the reasons above. Make them more like Enigma AND make the drop rates not astronomically low, IMHO. If they're going to stay as currently designed, aka purely there to create hype on youtube when someone finds one, then I can't really be bothered to get too worked up about them.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 19, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can someone explain (or link) how the barber gem boosts damage that much? It actually seemed like a downgrade with pulverize when the timer roll was longer than vulnerable procs lasted, but since moving to tornado and a shorter roll poo poo just blows up.

It basically does giant AOE damage bursts on a timer when you crit with a large multiplier on top of them.

quote:

Critical Strikes and all subsequent damage within 2.0-4.0 seconds is absorbed by your target. Then, the absorbed damage erupts onto surrounding enemies*. Stored damage is increased by 10% per second.

So, when you crit, wait a few seconds, and then lots of targets take all the damage, with a 20-40% interest rate.

*I don't think surrounding enemies is a well-defined term and the text suggests that the target will block all the damage, but they don't seem to

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah they're good but for how rare they are they really should just completely break the game wide open. if only a few people are going to find them all season, gently caress it make them turn you into one of the angels or something similarly wild like that

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 19, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It takes all damage you do during the duration, boosts it by the %, then it explodes out as AOE. All of which get boosted by your overpower, crit, etc etc

It definitely works better with some skills vs others. Rewards piling as much damage as possible in that buildup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sounds like it takes your crit + following damage and gives it compound interest per second and then slams all that through a second multiplicative(or whatever, the one that makes Vuln so good) damage boost on top of transforming it into an AoE pulse for +100% efficiency per target in range.

If it had a bugged value that'd be on brand too.