Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Poltergeist loving slaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I treasure One Cut of the Dead so much. it's such a joyous film about creativity and filmmaking, and the denouement and the closing shot make me oddly emotional. I think Midsommar is the only film since then I've loved more.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

It took me three tries to get past the first third of One Cut of the Dead and I agree it's hard to recommend it to someone without spoiling everything. Just tell everyone to stick with it and it will be worth it

This actually touches on a broader question that I always ponder when talking about film. What are people's standards for bailing on a movie? I often see people talking about taking multiple attempts to finish a movie, or saying "I couldn't get through it," etc. I've even seen the idea of seeing a movie through despite a rough start being used as an example of the sunk cost fallacy, which mildly angers me. That's not how art works!

To me, watching a movie is typically a commitment, and it's extremely rare for me to not finish something, or even to watch it in chunks. There are countless examples of films that cannot be evaluated in the opening act. And it doesn't take a radical shift for that to be true, as plenty of movies have opening segments or acts that are preludes, or may be slow but build up to something, or are meditative mood pieces or characters studies, etc. Maybe part of it comes from being a critic in a former life where, even if something is crap, I do enjoy evaluating a movie and being able to have an informed opinion and discuss it.

Anyway, I'm not coming down on anyone for their own preferences here, I just think it's interesting that I have my feet so firmly planted against the practice for whatever reason.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

This actually touches on a broader question that I always ponder when talking about film. What are people's standards for bailing on a movie? I often see people talking about taking multiple attempts to finish a movie, or saying "I couldn't get through it," etc. I've even seen the idea of seeing a movie through despite a rough start being used as an example of the sunk cost fallacy, which mildly angers me. That's not how art works!

To me, watching a movie is typically a commitment, and it's extremely rare for me to not finish something, or even to watch it in chunks. There are countless examples of films that cannot be evaluated in the opening act. And it doesn't take a radical shift for that to be true, as plenty of movies have opening segments or acts that are preludes, or may be slow but build up to something, or are meditative mood pieces or characters studies, etc. Maybe part of it comes from being a critic in a former life where, even if something is crap, I do enjoy evaluating a movie and being able to have an informed opinion and discuss it.

Anyway, I'm not coming down on anyone for their own preferences here, I just think it's interesting that I have my feet so firmly planted against the practice for whatever reason.

It genuinely takes a pretty dire movie for me to bail on it. I have a weird internal sense of completionism when it comes to movies, so I'll usually stick most anything out, but the big sticker for me is pacing. I grew up watching a lot of Asian cinema, so I'm no stranger to movies that take their sweet-rear end time to get somewhere, but it's genre dependent. If you're a drama that's slow moving, OK, I can appreciate that you're sitting in the feelings. But if you're going to hit me with a horror movie and then not do anything scary or build to anything scary... hell, I'll still probably finish it, but I won't be happy about it. The older I get, the more I appreciate movies getting to the goddamn point -- it's cool to do a slow mood thing, and that's a fun sometimes treat, but something like Skinamarink (which I watched anyway) just felt indulgent and something that would have been better in half the time. That said, if I'm 45 minutes into a movie and noooothiiiiiiing has happened, I'll do a google search to see if the movie is eventually leading to something, or if it's just going to fizzle out and it's better to cut my losses.

The only other reason I've bailed on a movie is because it's felt distasteful, and not in an artistic way. The prime example that comes to mind is the extremely unpleasant rape scene in Gutterballs, which is so grotesque and unnecessary that I gave up on the movie the first time I watched it. I still think it's a bad movie (and that any movie billing itself as at least partially a comedy shouldn't have a violent rape scene in it), but I did eventually finish it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i've walked out of movies twice in my life; Rogue One right after the scene with re-animated CGI Peter Cushing (I was already having a bad time of it and that was just the final straw), and once for Three Billboards which I was actually having a blast with but a friend I was with found it really upsetting and didn't want to stick it out

i don't know if i really have a rule for future cases. i think if i were watching someone that was utterly boring and i didn't think there was any possibility of it surprising me at all that might be enough, but even the most basic pop culture slop can usually rise above that threshold, if only because there's usually something offensive instead of merely bland, buried in there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Generally if I quit a movie I do it early. First 20 minutes or so. I’ve bailed 1 minute in when I just could tell right off the bat I didn’t want to watch this, or sometimes I just get worn done over time and decide I’m having such a bad time there’s no point in continuing. If I get past the first act or so I’ll tend to stick with it unless it’s really offensive or bad or something but if I just don’t feel the film from the jump and I don’t have some kind of reason to see it through then I’ll bail. No one’s paying me to review or watch these.

Like recent examples off the top of my head?

The Lure - I wasn’t really in the mood to begin with and a few minutes in some lecherous dudes go “those teenagers are too young to be here! Strip them!” And I just left.

Bulletproof - I quickly realized it was more of an Adam Sandler movie than an Ernest Dickerson movie and I was watching with someone who really wasn’t interested in that. I did eventually finish it on my own but only because I’m a huge Dickerson fan.

Under The Silver Lake - I didn’t quit this but I spent the second half wishing I had. I stuck with it for awhile waiting to see what it rounded into. And by the time I had a sense of what it was or wasn’t I was already deep enough in that I finished it out. But I spent the next 90 minutes checking the time so I really should have bailed.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 19, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its a chill day for me. Finishing Poltergeist and am seriously considering Midsommar even though I know how it ends.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Just finished Older Gods and it's a perfectly serviceable Lovecraftian horror movie! I don't think it's anything to write home about, but with some pizza and beer on a Saturday, it's a decent little cosmic chiller.

Ignore the 'I am 14 and this is edgy so I drew it on my Trapper Keeper' poster, it's a better movie than it looks. Sound design especially is great, lots of nice little creepy whispers and overlapping dialogue, and some of the best sounding rain I've seen in a movie in a while (which is a weird thing to say but it does sound really nice).

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I do not believe in quitting movies. I like taking a piece of art all together and I think it does the film - even some films I hated - a disservice to quit. I have no upper limit to how much needs to "happen" in a movie and some of my favorite movies are talky or slow. However, I will say that if I know where a film is going due to stumbling upon spoilers or what have you and it's something that crosses my own personal line (a rare occurrence but it can happen) I will often try to give it a go but have at least once just bailed because it was late at night and I knew I didn't want to see what I was about to see. (That film was The Baby, by the way.)

Like, I saw The Last Airbender in theaters and had fun riffing on it with friends, so my tolerance for bad film is high, and I saw another film that is well-regarded but was a crushing disappointment to me that I couldn't stand but I still survived all 158 minutes of it and ended up hating it all the more...but at least I could articulate why I hated it and it helped shape my film tastes further.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Just finished Older Gods and it's a perfectly serviceable Lovecraftian horror movie! I don't think it's anything to write home about, but with some pizza and beer on a Saturday, it's a decent little cosmic chiller.

Ignore the 'I am 14 and this is edgy so I drew it on my Trapper Keeper' poster, it's a better movie than it looks. Sound design especially is great, lots of nice little creepy whispers and overlapping dialogue, and some of the best sounding rain I've seen in a movie in a while (which is a weird thing to say but it does sound really nice).

What the hell I'll give it a go. I mean its my favorite genre "investigative horror".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I do not believe in quitting movies.

Yeah I think in the last 10 years I may have quit on one or two movies and I couldn't event tell you which ones. If I start it, I gotta finish it. This is why there's some films I simply won't start or take forever to get to lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Also, hell yeah another tubi special lol

I watch Last Radio Call on tubi yesterday and dug it. Low budget found footage (aren't they all tho), that does the boring ghost with a spooky wide open black mouth thing, but also is a neat little story about being trapped by grief and alcoholism.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've never walked out of a movie in a theater but I've turned off a bunch of recent blockbusters midway through and I don't think I missed out on anything

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

:respek:

Friendship with Netflix's low budget offerings is over, now Tubi is my new best friend.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The only movie I walked out of was Sky Captain World of Tomorrow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really don’t see quitting a movie as some kind of principle. As I said I generally don’t do it and if the 3 examples I gave I only actually did it once. But it’s your time not there’s. You don’t owe anything to the movie. I’m all for pushing your comfort zone and trying stuff out and seeing out what people have made. But if you’re not enjoying yourself absolutely no one suffers from you quitting. Just don’t go write a 3 page rant about how terrible the movie is afterwards.

I guess that’s my weird idiosyncrasy. I don’t seek out films I don’t think I’ll enjoy. But occasionally I’ll finish a film I hate just so I can say I hated it without worry I missed some redeeming element and was being unfair.

To the people who don’t like quitting a movie is that just movies? Are you willing to bail on a book or tv show or game or something if you’re having a bad time?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So my choice is Midsommar or Older Gods.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I’m paying $60 for tickets and popcorn and such I’m staying for the whole movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

The only movie I walked out of was Sky Captain World of Tomorrow.

I'm a sucker for serials and pulp stories, especially of the sort that this movie is riffing on. I am terrified to revisit this movie because I really enjoyed it at the time and strongly suspect that it wouldn't even hold up for me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No one said anything so I went with Midsommar, but I'll probably watch both.

edit:

Wait Midsommar is 2 hours and 50 loving minutes. GODDAMN IT.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 19, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Opopanax posted:

If I’m paying $60 for tickets and popcorn and such I’m staying for the whole movie.

I think that definitely qualifies as “have a reason to see it through.”

It’s also part of the reason I stopped going to theaters except for movies I was really invested in.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I bailed on Upstream Color and after it was later revealed how skeevy the director was I’m never going to revisit it

Most of the horror stuff I turn off is because I’m falling asleep :(

I revisit some of them though. I think as I get older, junk movies just aren’t that fun a lot of the time. Demon Wind was the last one I remember. I did eventually finish it but I wasn’t exactly glued to the screen.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I saw Sky Captain as a kid in theaters and loved it, and I still haven't revisited it for that same reason. I love the idea of it and love the riffing on serials and have such great memories of it, and while I usually don't worry about revisiting things I liked as a kid and finding them bad (because I normally can still tap into those nostalgic emotions) it's the one film that is a weird exception, I guess.

But yeah, I think another thing for me is that...I don't watch movies I don't think I'm going to enjoy or at least have the potential to enjoy. Again, the only movie I came close to walking out of in theaters I stuck through to the end and I'm glad I did even if it was just because I thought it was a dismally poor film and can articulate why. If a film loses me and I'm watching it at home, it can sometimes bring me back, or it'll be one where I can say that it lost me and use that as a knock against it and I can just mess around on my phone or what-have-you.

I have dropped plenty of video games, though. Movies are self-contained and rarely more than a few hours long. Video games are a much bigger commitment and require a lot more engagement, particularly with my own motor skills issues coming into play. They're easier to drop and return to, though, at the very least.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hollismason posted:

No one said anything so I went with Midsommar, but I'll probably watch both.

edit:

Wait Midsommar is 2 hours and 50 loving minutes. GODDAMN IT.

Uh no. Unless you're talking about that weird extended version, which by all accounts is much worse than the theatrical cut.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Origami Dali posted:

Uh no. Unless you're talking about that weird extended version, which by all accounts is much worse than the theatrical cut.

The version available to me is 2 hours and 50 loving minutes. I am furious because I'm 40 minutes in and realize its another 2 hours.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only Midsommar version I saw was the extended and I didn't feel like any of it should have been cut. I thought the extended version was generally well-received?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

But yeah, I think another thing for me is that...I don't watch movies I don't think I'm going to enjoy or at least have the potential to enjoy. Again, the only movie I came close to walking out of in theaters I stuck through to the end and I'm glad I did even if it was just because I thought it was a dismally poor film and can articulate why. If a film loses me and I'm watching it at home, it can sometimes bring me back, or it'll be one where I can say that it lost me and use that as a knock against it and I can just mess around on my phone or what-have-you.

Yeah, that's exactly it for me. It's very unlikely that I give the time to a movie that isn't likely to be a winner. I have way too many things that I want to watch to waste my time on something I don't have the potential to be really into.

The only thing I've ever properly walked out of was The Perfect 46 at a film festival, which I'm shocked has as high of a Letterboxd score as it does. I found it to be interminable, feeling like it was written by that obnoxious guy you knew in high school who claimed he had a 200 IQ but was dumb as poo poo. I've watched some terrible movies in theaters and had a great time because there was enough about the movie that I was into that I could have a good time and enjoy those parts. At the same film festival my friend had to walk out of Queen of Blood because it's a 90% vibes movie and I was into the vibes of walking around in foggy woods. It was a bad movie, sure, but I could get into it.

e: I also wanted to walk out of Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing but the people I went with were eating it up and I would've just had to chill in the parking lot until it finished if I walked out. In retrospect, that parking lot would have been significantly more enjoyable.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 19, 2023

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Crescent Wrench posted:

It's varied for me over the years. When I was younger (teens and earlier), on average a film had about 10 minutes to get to the good stuff or show promise of the good stuff otherwise I was out. Yeah, I was on the impatient side back then. That's also where my multiple attempts to get through a movie comes from. Often it turns out I just needed to broaden my horror movie palate or get some more life experience under the belt to appreciate a film I once wrote off as boooooring...

Now, it's a mix of variables in combination. Is it compelling, is it pulling me in? Could be the cinematography, or the acting, could even be it's clear the film has Heart. Budget and name cast is irrelevant. Have the serious people who's movie opinions I take seriously said anything positive about it? Sometimes this still ends up in a clunker, but more often than not it doesn't. Are there dealbreaker moments? I've been open about how animal death and small children death are things I'll aim to avoid since I had kids and I love my pets fiercely. Best analogy I have is if as I'm watching the movie and I start finding myself thinking about cleaning the catbox, knocking out whatever dishes need to get done, or in one case wondering if I'd be collecting whatever's left of my social security by the time the film decides to get anywhere, then those are the ones I'll bail from since I just don't have the time to spend watching something like that when I can be watching something else that's working for me better.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I do not believe in quitting movies. I like taking a piece of art all together and I think it does the film - even some films I hated - a disservice to quit. I have no upper limit to how much needs to "happen" in a movie and some of my favorite movies are talky or slow. However, I will say that if I know where a film is going due to stumbling upon spoilers or what have you and it's something that crosses my own personal line (a rare occurrence but it can happen) I will often try to give it a go but have at least once just bailed because it was late at night and I knew I didn't want to see what I was about to see. (That film was The Baby, by the way.)

Like, I saw The Last Airbender in theaters and had fun riffing on it with friends, so my tolerance for bad film is high, and I saw another film that is well-regarded but was a crushing disappointment to me that I couldn't stand but I still survived all 158 minutes of it and ended up hating it all the more...but at least I could articulate why I hated it and it helped shape my film tastes further.

I’ll quit on movies when I’m dead

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There’s a reason I pick every movie I start but the reasons vary from “cool poster” to “I love the cast and crew, have loved everything the director has made, and it’s got great reviews”. Most everything is in between. “Not really my thing but comes recommended”. “Features someone I enjoyed in something else.” “Completes some list”.

So like for me it’s not a question of whether I’m being selective or not. It’s just a case by case thing. And sometimes, not often, but sometimes I decide to bail early if my reasons just don’t feel like enough.

It’s like the 3 hour movie debate. There’s not a right or wrong answer. Long movies arent good or bad. They’re a factor into your enjoyment and interest. One of many.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I swear to loving god Midsommar better have some pay off because I'm now like 1 hour and 20 minutes into it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

I swear to loving god Midsommar better have some pay off because I'm now like 1 hour and 20 minutes into it.

It's definitely not for everyone. I really love the ending but it doesn't change thematically all that much.

Just remember it's not a horror movie, it's a break up movie

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think the only movie I ever walked out of was a really awful horror flick called Force of Evil in about 1988.

Much more recently, I wanted to leave about 30 minutes into Avatar 2, but we stayed.

For what seemed like another four hours.

e: My mind is blown because there is no “Force of Evil” on imdb that came out in the 1980s. But I could have sworn that was the name of the flick.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 19, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

I treasure One Cut of the Dead so much. it's such a joyous film about creativity and filmmaking, and the denouement and the closing shot make me oddly emotional. I think Midsommar is the only film since then I've loved more.

:hellyeah: and agreed on your Midsommar love. I still need to watch the extended version too though, but the regular version is an all-time fav

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've got a whole hobby of weekly cinema visits, so I've sat through some real stinkers just for the sake of "it's something to do", but it's also made me take some gambles on stuff I wouldn't normally give a shot that have totally surprised me and been great, like Bones & All which I wouldn't have seen without it being the only new thing playing that week, that turned out to be one of my favourite movies of last year. Plus seeing it in a cinema means I'm less likely to just tune out or get distracted.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 19, 2023

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Saw boogie man last night. Very mid.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've got a whole hobby of weekly cinema visits, so I've sat through some real stinkers just for the sake of "it's something to do", but it's also made me take some gambles on stuff I wouldn't normally give a shot that have totally surprised me and been great, like Bones & All which I wouldn't have seen without it being the only new thing playing that week, that turned out to be one of my favourite movies of last year. Plus seeing it in a cinema means I'm less likely to just tune out or get distracted.

Gambling on movies back when I worked at a movie theater is how I saw Drive, Scott Pilgrim, and Her, which are three movies I adore, and it's also how I saw my first horror movie in theaters before I even knew I liked the genre which was Fright Night 2011 (which I rewatched recently and think is fine but obviously not a patch on the original). It can be fun to surprise yourself like that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've given up on streaming films on several occasions, I'm too old to give poo poo a college try and waste time on something that isn't remotely interesting within the first half hour.

I did recently walk out of Insidious: The Red Door because I was alone and my mushroom trip took a turn for the worst so I just had to get some fresh air. Nothing to do with the movie even though I saw it latter and thought it was pretty meh.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching a black and white cut of The Mist from 2007 and my friend, who hates horror movies and refuses to watch them, dropped by a few minutes in and stayed for the whole movie. Afterwards, she said she really liked it, and thought it was great. Is the secret to getting people to watch more horror movies to... drop them into black and white? Maybe non-horror people think they're less intense in black and white? I'm just baffled that a woman who hates even faint gore was totally fine with a bunch of spider creatures exploding out of a dude's back because it was in B&W.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm watching a black and white cut of The Mist from 2007 and my friend, who hates horror movies and refuses to watch them, dropped by a few minutes in and stayed for the whole movie. Afterwards, she said she really liked it, and thought it was great. Is the secret to getting people to watch more horror movies to... drop them into black and white? Maybe non-horror people think they're less intense in black and white? I'm just baffled that a woman who hates even faint gore was totally fine with a bunch of spider creatures exploding out of a dude's back because it was in B&W.

It's because black and white films are artistic where as films in color are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I guess it's only fair that I disclose that the only film I've ever talked out of in anger in the theater was the first Michael Bay Transformers movie. I made the mistake of watching the '80s animated film directly beforehand to hype myself up. I sat there with my disappointment and disgust mounting with every minute. I made it as far as the part when Optimus Prime stepped on something in Shia's back yard and said "My bad!" at which point I think I actually threw my hands in the air before leaving.