Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Surely you can also clock in 14 minutes after the start of your shift, and then leave 14 minutes early but get credit for the full shift....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thesaurus posted:

Surely you can also clock in 14 minutes after the start of your shift, and then leave 14 minutes early but get credit for the full shift....

The way they're describing how it's handled by this company, that would get clocked as 8:15-4:45, which would reportedly get counted as 30 minutes of unexcused absence. As, it's always rounding toward less time counted on the timesheet.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thesaurus posted:

Nope, I can not. The rounding rules in place at my job only apply to the "outside" of our shifts. If we clock in early, it rounds. If we clock in late, it doesn't round at all. If we clock out early, it doesn't round. If we clock out late, it rounds. So, hypothetically, if I were to clock in at 7:02am, and clock out at 3:04pm, then if there was no rounding at all, my time card would say I've worked 8.03 hours. Instead, the rounding rules we have would round my clock out time back to 3pm, but not round my clock in time at all, which would result in my time card saying I worked 7.97 hours.

BigHead posted:

Call employment lawyers and show them your documentary proof. Ask them what else you should do.

Yeah, this is the most reasonable thing, which is what I'm going to do.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 19, 2023

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Weird how their "rules" only benefit the employer at your expense :thunk:

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My work has the 'you can clock into work up to 15 minutes early ' but you are not allowed to do work, just gear up (boots and high viz) until 7am. That's because we have 2 time clocks and 95 people. Extremely regimented clock out, allowing overtime or comp for every minute over your end of day, PLUS 10 minutes wash up time. People come in, and loiter in the hall, because you are not allowed to leave the lot until your end of day. All of this negotiated by the Laborers union.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I am not a lawyer, which is why I feel comfortable asking if you are willing to wear a huge clock necklace like Flava Flav in the pursuit of your rights?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've got one last question, this time much more general. I recognize this question sounds stupid, even to me, but I've been bitten before by not asking this, so I guess it's better to ask a stupid question than end up with a stupid result.

So, I'm looking up employment lawyers in my town, and there's just a seemingly endless list of results. Is there anything specific I should be looking for that would scream "yeah, this person knows their poo poo"? Something like, I dunno, number of years practicing, or some specific accreditation, or something? Or am I fine to pick a random person from the top 5 Google results and just call them?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

neogeo0823 posted:

I've got one last question, this time much more general. I recognize this question sounds stupid, even to me, but I've been bitten before by not asking this, so I guess it's better to ask a stupid question than end up with a stupid result.

So, I'm looking up employment lawyers in my town, and there's just a seemingly endless list of results. Is there anything specific I should be looking for that would scream "yeah, this person knows their poo poo"? Something like, I dunno, number of years practicing, or some specific accreditation, or something? Or am I fine to pick a random person from the top 5 Google results and just call them?

If you know any lawyers who aren't employment law lawyers, call them and ask them who'd they'd hire for an employment law issue.

You can also try searching for news articles about employment cases that have gone to trial recently in your area and see if anybody's won one lately. You generally don't win at trial by accident.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you know any lawyers who aren't employment law lawyers, call them and ask them who'd they'd hire for an employment law issue.

You can also try searching for news articles about employment cases that have gone to trial recently in your area and see if anybody's won one lately. You generally don't win at trial by accident.

Thank you, I'll do that.

And thank you to the rest of the thread for all the help. This whole thing is daunting to me, and between this and the other issues at work, I've been incredibly anxious for the last while. You guys have at least given me a solid direction to go in for this.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What happens if Trump wins an election before he gets convicted of anything? Can you throw a president in prison? What if it's before the inauguration?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

What happens if Trump wins an election before he gets convicted of anything? Can you throw a president in prison? What if it's before the inauguration?

Once again, nobody knows, but the Democrats will somehow manage to just roll over or something it's time for another constitutional crisis!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Organza Quiz posted:

Any state or federal sentence will probably be stayed during his tenure in office. He will pardon himself for all of the federal offenses.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Wait he can't be president if he gets convicted before he's elected right? I'm taking that as a given but I just had the horrible thought I'm wrong.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait he can't be president if he gets convicted before he's elected right? I'm taking that as a given but I just had the horrible thought I'm wrong.

Nah, there’s nothing in the constitution that says a dog cant play basketball a felon can’t be president.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

There's a lot of things you would think would be true but here we are.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Organza Quiz posted:

I think one or two of the federal charges may have a prohibition on serving in a public office if convicted, but that would certainly face a constitutional challenge.

The only constitutional requirements for being president is 1: be a natural born citizen, 2: be at least 35 years old, and 3: have lived in the USA for at least 14 years. There is no constitutional prohibition on criminal acts preventing you from running for office.

The senate could have voted to prevent him from running for office either time he was impeached but declined to do so.

Even if he's in jail, it doesn't stop him from running or being elected. Eugene Debs literally ran for president while incarcerated.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Are there any states that have laws that prevent felons from being on the ballot? I know there’s some that won’t allow him to hold public office but I’m curious if there’s any about the ballot itself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Are there any states that have laws that prevent felons from being on the ballot? I know there’s some that won’t allow him to hold public office but I’m curious if there’s any about the ballot itself.

In places that have those laws it only matters for state races. Federal races are governed by the federal government. If any tried to prevent Trump from the ballot there will be a quick federal challenge.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Nope, and even if there were, that'd be challenged and overturned rapidly. SCOTUS has been clear that states cannot add restrictions beyond what the constitution does for federal races. It's why, for instance, term limits would require an amendment. The exception is for things relating to election administration (like filing deadlines), covered by time/place/manner in article 1.

Which is good! Georgia passing a law in 2020 that nobody who has previously been a part of the chain of succession can be president would have been bad.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think one or two of the federal charges may have a prohibition on serving in a public office if convicted, but that would certainly face a constitutional challenge.
Luttig has joined the group calling for Trump to be barred under the 14th amendment but :lol: at the idea of the Roberts Court agreeing with that interpretation

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Paracaidas posted:

Nope, and even if there were, that'd be challenged and overturned rapidly. SCOTUS has been clear that states cannot add restrictions beyond what the constitution does for federal races. It's why, for instance, term limits would require an amendment. The exception is for things relating to election administration (like filing deadlines), covered by time/place/manner in article 1.

Which is good! Georgia passing a law in 2020 that nobody who has previously been a part of the chain of succession can be president would have been bad.

Luttig has joined the group calling for Trump to be barred under the 14th amendment but :lol: at the idea of the Roberts Court agreeing with that interpretation

I'm not even sure that federal laws that limit presidential access can stand up to constitutional muster with the present court.

The only way that Trump is not the republican presidential candidate is if the gop pass rules that allow them to replace him a the convention. They will alienate their base and case a lot of issues if they do it, but it's literally the only thing that will stop him. He holds the support of a plurality to a majority of republican primary voters in every state, their support has grown for him with each successive indictment, and his diehards (71% of all people who voted trump in 2020) believe him above all other sources.

The only way Trump is not the nominee is if you get people that believe him over their pastors and family to vote for someone else.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is treason illegal? The answer may surprise you!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Organza Quiz posted:

If he wins the election he can try to pardon himself for any federal crimes. This will cause a constitutional crisis that will push the case to the Supreme Court who will rule for Trump.
If he wins the election he can claim that while president he cannot be tried, or if convicted, imprisoned for state crimes, because he's been elected president and must be able to perform those duties free of interference from individual states. This will cause a constitutional crisis that will push the case to the Supreme Court who will rule for Trump.

e: whoa, that window was open for a while...

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 21, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Strategic Tea posted:

Is treason illegal? The answer may surprise you!

Treason is special in that it is the only crime enumerated specifically in the constitution because the founding fathers did not want it tossed around willy-nilly. It was also not a disqualification for president until the 14th amendment, and Trump likely has not met the legal requirements to be disqualified under the same.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Welp thread thanks I guess. I think I just assumed since felons can't vote they obviously can't hold office as well but of course that wouldn't necessarily be the case. Good luck, American friends.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Welp thread thanks I guess. I think I just assumed since felons can't vote they obviously can't hold office as well but of course that wouldn't necessarily be the case. Good luck, American friends.
Felony disenfranchisement is state-by-state, with a whole range of whether it happens, whether it can be undone, etc

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Organza Quiz posted:

It’s overall not a bad thing that a jury can’t effectively single out people and say “you can’t run.”

If someone is impeached and convicted that can be a term, I think.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes. I believe one or two federal judges have been impeached, convicted, and barred from holding office. It's up to Congress to decide to do that.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Trapick posted:

Felony disenfranchisement is state-by-state, with a whole range of whether it happens, whether it can be undone, etc

Do Florida's felony voter disenfranchisement laws apply to felonies committed out of state? Say like, Georgia? Asking for a friend

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
There's also the 14th amendment or whatever that says traitors/insurrectionists can't hold office.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

There's also the 14th amendment or whatever that says traitors/insurrectionists can't hold office.

14th amendment, section 3 posted:

Section 3.

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

I feel like it’s a stretch but people have written many words saying it applies: https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/20/trump-disqualified-constitution-section-3-14th-amendment
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4532751

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I think it will take a Court to decide and even then I don't know what happens. An injunction against him going on a ballot?

Another impeachment?

And then does the section of the amendment require a conviction for one of those crimes? Or just a finding a fact by a court?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

I think it will take a Court to decide and even then I don't know what happens. An injunction against him going on a ballot?

Another impeachment?

And then does the section of the amendment require a conviction for one of those crimes? Or just a finding a fact by a court?

You'll have to read the article to see their historical take. This was only a live issue for a few years since the 14th amendment was adopted in 1868 and just four years later in 1872 Congress said "gently caress it, let the Rebs back in" with the Amnesty Act.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

You'll have to read the article to see their historical take.

I most certainly will not

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

blarzgh posted:

Another impeachment?

I’m not even sure it’s applicable to the Presidency, which in other contexts has been held to NOT be an “office” of the United States.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

I’m not even sure it’s applicable to the Presidency, which in other contexts has been held to NOT be an “office” of the United States.

It's discussed in the article ulmont linked, but literally the Constitution calls it the "Office of the President" and the ratification debate about the 14th includes a very similar point and it was made quite clear it should be interpreted to include the Presidency.

Debate over the 14th posted:

Third, a variant of the Blackman-Tillman argument was explicitly made and explicitly refuted in the congressional debates proposing Section Three. Senator
Reverdy Johnson of Maryland charged that the language employed was defective because the offices of President and Vice President had inadvertently been omitted from
Section Three. The amendment “does not go far enough,” Johnson averred. “I do
not see but that any one of these gentlemen may be elected President or Vice President of the United States, and why did you omit to exclude them?” Johnson was
complaining that these two officers should be included in Section Three and there
was no good reason to omit them. Whereupon Senator Morrill of Vermont interrupted:
“Let me call the Senator’s attention to the words ‘or hold any office, civil or military,
under the United States.’” Senator Johnson promptly, and somewhat sheepishly,
retreated: “Perhaps I am wrong as to the exclusion from the presidency; no doubt I
am; but I was misled by noticing the special exclusion in the case of Senators and
Representatives.”

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pseudanonymous posted:

Think about the breadth and scope of this question.

Europe has, at least, what like, 7 countries each of which has like 3+ province/county/shire/state/collegia/region/s and the Middle Ages must’ve lasted at least…50 years.

It’s a PhD dissertation level question.
This is a question that reddit/r/askhistorians would probably take up and answer, or link you to an answer that's already been posted. Most of the answers I read have at least a couple of paragraphs from an expert in the field, with citations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Kalman posted:

It's discussed in the article ulmont linked, but literally the Constitution calls it the "Office of the President" and the ratification debate about the 14th includes a very similar point and it was made quite clear it should be interpreted to include the Presidency.

That’s the better reading purposively, but see the Appointments Clause and Art. VI.3, and note that we don’t have a purposive Court.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

That’s the better reading purposively, but see the Appointments Clause and Art. VI.3, and note that we don’t have a purposive Court.

The appointments clause is probably irrelevant, or arguably even helpful, because it notes “whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for”, which is text that suggests that the Constitution describes the method of appointment for some officers elsewhere in the text.

I don’t see that VI.3 is actually relevant, as it makes the same sense whether you view the president as an officer or not. (And interpreting it in the way you’re saying would make it legal to have a religious test for the Presidency unless you engage in the totally contradictory exercise of deciding that an office can be occupied by someone who isn’t an officer.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

In a 5-4 decision, the supreme court has ruled that the president can just do whatever he wants, as long as he's a Republican. While most signed the majority Roberts opinion of "lol, lmmfao, owned," justice Thomas appeared to provide a series of doodles of sacks with dollar signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

neogeo0823 posted:

Thank you, I'll do that.

And thank you to the rest of the thread for all the help. This whole thing is daunting to me, and between this and the other issues at work, I've been incredibly anxious for the last while. You guys have at least given me a solid direction to go in for this.

I think you should probably contact your state’s department of labor, because it will be a lot cheaper than a lawyer and also you won’t be or are less likely to be branded as “that guy/gal that sued their former employer and thinks anyone will ever hire them again.”