Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Xaris posted:

GOD DAMNIT. loving doughy white rear end honkey midwesterners are ruining the plan to drain 👏 the 👏 great 👏 lakes 👏 to 👏 save 👏 phoenix by making them too polluted. hosed up imo

I always get a chuckle when scientists explain that the problem they've identified is easy to fix with existing technology and the damage is reversible if we just act quickly.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Xaris posted:

if you haven't seen it, Miracle Mile kicks rear end. one of the best 80s movies imo. also very cspam

I just watched that! great movie

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Just a Moron posted:

I'm gonna hear this said with sincerity before I die

it's malaria. mal-aria. bad air. not bad bugs you dumb liberal

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

kaxman posted:

We cleared malaria out of the us once but I bet we can't do it again like have you seen the CDC lately

Pretty sure the original eradication of bedbugs in the United States was due to use of DDT, the lack of which today is why we are seeing bedbugs resurgent. I wonder how big a role DDT played in removing malaria as a threat.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Hubbert posted:

what if we held hands while the world ended :blush:

you met me at a very strange time in my life

🎵with yr feet in the air n yr head on the ground

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Hubbert posted:

what if we held hands while the world ended :blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKkTiMDpkI8

<3

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The Spokane situation is pretty bad. Still at 0% containment with an unknown number of lost homes. Medical lake is a suburb of Spokane with about 5k people. It has jumped I-90 a few miles to the south, and caused evacs in other communities.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/aug/19/medical-lake-wildfire-has-burned-9000-acres-and-0-/

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

jetz0r posted:

Malaria is mild and endemic, you dumb lib. You gotta live your life without being locked down with public health measures, DEET, or mosquito nets.

Malaria has the added benefit of Hydroxychloroquine being an effective treatment

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Did this in paint with a mouse. I have ideas but lack the proper execution.

Hope it hasn't been done.

Anyway, Dr Ian Malthus

https://ibb.co/1TT1tFf

Lol can't even figure out how to embed image.

He's a doctor of chaos obv.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

cat botherer posted:

The Spokane situation is pretty bad. Still at 0% containment with an unknown number of lost homes. Medical lake is a suburb of Spokane with about 5k people. It has jumped I-90 a few miles to the south, and caused evacs in other communities.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/aug/19/medical-lake-wildfire-has-burned-9000-acres-and-0-/

The Medical lake one is south west of the city. new one popped up yesterday in the opposite corner of the county afternoon dubbed the Oregon Fire. Went from 10 acres to 1500 in an hour. Sitting here six miles from a level three evac zone.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

graph chat made cnn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pM9PiSCOI

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I know someone in Kelowna, currently on vacation and they are flying back to Vancouver today with the intention of driving home :stare:

They've assured us they'll be fine because they're in the southern part of town, and the fire would have to go through the town to get to them (impossible, right?). Thing is there's no rain in the forecast and winds are gusting south- also I'm not sure what road they think they'll be taking in to town...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Sorry about that. I fixed it

Honestly this is the best thing that could happen to areas where Malaria is more common. If white people the US and other rich countries start contacting it then finally more money will be spent trying to cure Malaria vs trying to cure baldness.

yeah just like they cured COVID when it came back after leaving fort detrick

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

quote:

Definition of a mass extinction event is losing 75% of all species over 2.8 million years. We are going to do it 100 years

:popeye:

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

not as comedic as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1vrO6iL0U

led me to imagine

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Malaria has the added benefit of Hydroxychloroquine being an effective treatment

It can also be treated with gin and tonic, so I'm way ahead of the curve of staying safe

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Instant extinction event

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Premature extinctulation

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Welp lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

am I reading this wrong or is weather.com saying Hilary is going to peter out by the time it gets to Los Angeles? 5-10 mph winds? 3 inches of rain per day?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

am I reading this wrong or is weather.com saying Hilary is going to peter out by the time it gets to Los Angeles? 5-10 mph winds? 3 inches of rain per day?

I'm not a meteorologist but you can find one in the weather thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868390

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Haha whoops at least 75% of all living things are on track to be turbo dead because we worship mammon, but hey maybe a quarter or eighth or 1/10th or so is gonna be OK. Just gotta go back to preindustry, nbd

On CNN

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Haha whoops at least 75% of all living things are on track to be turbo dead because we worship mammon, but hey maybe a quarter or eighth or 1/10th or so is gonna be OK. Just gotta go back to preindustry, nbd

On CNN

The ending of "Dr. Strangelove", but actually happening.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mawarannahr posted:

I'm not a meteorologist but you can find one in the weather thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868390

thanks

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Little bit of a ping to me to see it on normal news.

We can hope maybe it won't be the end of humans or the earth won't be reduced to some state that can't support intelligent life, but yeah this society will end, huh?

There's no way every lump of coal and drop off oil that is physically accessible won't be burned, I have a hard time figuring out a way that doesn't happen that seems plausible.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Little bit of a ping to me to see it on normal news.

We can hope maybe it won't be the end of humans or the earth won't be reduced to some state that can't support intelligent life, but yeah this society will end, huh?

There's no way every lump of coal and drop off oil that is physically accessible won't be burned, I have a hard time figuring out a way that doesn't happen that seems plausible.

industrialism is pretty complex and far-flung, meaning there are loads of potential failure points along the chain of production necessary to extract deeper and scarcer carbon deposits. i'm fairly confident in capitalism's theoretical ability to keep scraping the bottom of the barrel, but it just needs to reach one non-traversable crisis to unravel carbon extraction from the top down

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah burning all of it until there's nothing you can reach

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think the Earths biosphere will be completely fine at a bacterial level

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
They had trees in the era before coal so there should still be treelike organisms

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Unless posted:

not as comedic as

lol, I disagree

Unless posted:

graph chat made cnn

LMAO

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/missmayn/status/1692905779395785033

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

:hmmyes:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

What date do we expect the climate change drought to mop up the climate change floods from the climate change hurricane?

I just got done rewatching Brazil and it's somehow less dystopian than what I read in this thread, so that's something. I also just acquired Breaking Together by Jem Bendell. Anyone else read it?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1693022534898164069

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Did someone tell her about Maui?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Did someone tell her about Maui?

That was a Zionist space laser, sweaty. Not the same.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I don't think oil rigs are super unionized, maybe they're part of united steel or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

huh?