Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Everyone ITT was correct Swamp Thing is incredibly good, I'm really enjoying it. Doesn't feel like superhero stuff at all even though [spoiler] Woodrue is pretty much a supervillain, just one who is depicted in a very compelling way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Moore uses the characters and mythos but didn't really approach it as a "superhero" thing other than that the Swamp Thing does, fairly often, bust something up or throw down compared to a lot of horror protagonists. But why not? He's some kind of immortal plant monster. Why not throw hands with the Wolfman?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I just finished the part where DC guys show up and it was the most elegant way he could have handled it, I hate those characters broadly but by depicting them as impotent “over people” Moore really undoes a lot of the stuff about their usual framing that annoys me

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Everyone ITT was correct Swamp Thing is incredibly good, I'm really enjoying it. Doesn't feel like superhero stuff at all even though [spoiler] Woodrue is pretty much a supervillain, just one who is depicted in a very compelling way

Woodrue is a supervillain from the early days of comics. I don't think Moore ever uses his really weird villain name, though.

That's what I was referring to with oblique references. You don't need to know that Etragan is a guy who says a poem to turn into a monster and fight witch boys, Moore reinvents a lot of the obscure characters he uses essentially from the ground up so those superhero backgrounds don't matter.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i could have sworn he was called the Floronic Man once or twice. But it's been at least a decade since I read it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/1692650578021671382

Evan Dorkin's had long COVID for the last couple of months. I'm probably gonna sign up for his Patreon and throw him a few bucks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Evan Dorkin’s patreon is absolutely worth it and I encourage all comic book goons to join.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Soonmot posted:

i could have sworn he was called the Floronic Man once or twice. But it's been at least a decade since I read it.

Sunderland uses the name at least once.
https://imgur.com/a/AvrmGrZ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I just finished the part where DC guys show up and it was the most elegant way he could have handled it, I hate those characters broadly but by depicting them as impotent “over people” Moore really undoes a lot of the stuff about their usual framing that annoys me

Let us know how you feel about the first appearance of John Constantine. Because I love your reactions to this stuff.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/kathleenglosan/status/1692899945118859386

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, oof. Hopefully Jeff does a full recovery, but the prospects at his age (63) aren't particularly great. Hope I eat crow and he proves me to be utterly wrong by living to 90+, though!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 19, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, oof. Hopefully Jeff does a full recovery, but the prospects at his age (63) aren't particularly great. Hope I eat crow and he proves me to be utterly wrong by living to 90+, though!

My dad went through a lot of heart issues for decades and lived to 83. Hoping Jeff does better!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Let us know how you feel about the first appearance of John Constantine. Because I love your reactions to this stuff.

Usually I get mad when the joker shows up but I actually liked the way the malign influence of the recorporated man was illustrated by the effect it had on the inmates of Arkham. It’s kinda funny going into it this way since I feel it was written like I should know who these people are but I don’t until they’re named explicitly, particularly the mainline superheroes in the space station and the ones they mention from the Titans, who I only know by osmosis.

Had no idea Etrigan was a character before this but I enjoyed that arc a lot. Arcane was obviously the bad guy in a previous arc but I’m not familiar with that story so it’s all a bit vague. I just got through the part where the Observer in space was throwing around power level numbers like 600-800, so I’m excited to see where that goes and who that is

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

Usually I get mad when the joker shows up but I actually liked the way the malign influence of the recorporated man was illustrated by the effect it had on the inmates of Arkham. It’s kinda funny going into it this way since I feel it was written like I should know who these people are but I don’t until they’re named explicitly, particularly the mainline superheroes in the space station and the ones they mention from the Titans, who I only know by osmosis.

Had no idea Etrigan was a character before this but I enjoyed that arc a lot. Arcane was obviously the bad guy in a previous arc but I’m not familiar with that story so it’s all a bit vague. I just got through the part where the Observer in space was throwing around power level numbers like 600-800, so I’m excited to see where that goes and who that is

Oh god, Jason Blood was so good in this I actively got annoyed there weren't a ton of comics where he was written like that. Etrigan and Jason Blood are in some other good comics, it's just different.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Etrigan is one of Kirby's most throwaway ideas, but, like the TMNT, all of the pieces are there to do whatever you want with him, which has generally lead to every appearance being, at bare minimum, something to enjoy.

You want a big dumb demon to punch stuff? You got it.
You want a big dumb demon reading Shakespeare? No problem.
You want a big dumb demon doing freestyle rap? Homey? He plays that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So fun fact, the demon that Etrigan fights in Swamp Thing was actually from Jack Kirby's original Etrigan comic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

So fun fact, the demon that Etrigan fights in Swamp Thing was actually from Jack Kirby's original Etrigan comic.

And while rhyming became his defining trait, he didn't do the doggerel speech until Moore did it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

And while rhyming became his defining trait, he didn't do the doggerel speech until Moore did it.

And then everyone else did it much, much worse. Unless Etrigan pops up in a Neil Gaiman comic I'm forgetting.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Air Skwirl posted:

And then everyone else did it much, much worse. Unless Etrigan pops up in a Neil Gaiman comic I'm forgetting.

Yeah I was just thinking how much of a pain it must've been for other writers to have to write for him following after Moore.

I'm not a fan of the artist change starting on issue 28.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 20, 2023

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I thought it would be like Swamp Thing smashing oil pipelines and feeding poachers to alligators so I never would have anticipated a lengthy swamp thing goes to hell story followed by a bit of a tone shift into tiny aliens exploring earth in a turtle shaped ship

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

Yeah I was just thinking how much of a pain it must've been for other writers to have to write for him following after Moore.

I'm not a fan of the artist change starting on issue 28.

He's in Kevin Smith's Green Arrow, which is probably the best comic work Smith has done, but that part is loving embarrassing.

If Moore's Etrigan is a Shakespeare sonnet, Smith's is "there once was a man from Nantucket."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I thought it would be like Swamp Thing smashing oil pipelines and feeding poachers to alligators so I never would have anticipated a lengthy swamp thing goes to hell story followed by a bit of a tone shift into tiny aliens exploring earth in a turtle shaped ship

Moore is a huge fan of Pogo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The best Etrigan stuff other than what's been mentioned is, believe it or not, Ennis. Also Demon Knights was pretty fun

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

The best Etrigan stuff other than what's been mentioned is, believe it or not, Ennis. Also Demon Knights was pretty fun

I absolutely believe Ennis could write a good Etrigan, he wrote the best Constantine who Alan Moore created in the same run of Swamp Thing (and I think Moore's version of Jason Blood was like a prototype for Constantine but he realized he couldn't do with a Jack Kirby character what he wanted so he made a new one).

Where did Ennis write Etrigan? I thought I'd read most of his big two comics (Hitman being an embarrassing gap I plan to fix).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Air Skwirl posted:

I absolutely believe Ennis could write a good Etrigan, he wrote the best Constantine who Alan Moore created in the same run of Swamp Thing (and I think Moore's version of Jason Blood was like a prototype for Constantine but he realized he couldn't do with a Jack Kirby character what he wanted so he made a new one).

Where did Ennis write Etrigan? I thought I'd read most of his big two comics (Hitman being an embarrassing gap I plan to fix).
Per Wikipedia, there was an early 1990s ongoing Demon series that Ennis wrote for.

quote:

Etrigan returned for a four-issue miniseries in 1987, written and illustrated by Grendel creator Matt Wagner. Alan Grant followed this with an Etrigan feature in Action Comics Weekly #636-641 and a second ongoing title in 1990. The 1990 series lasted 58 issues, two Annuals and one #0 issue. Garth Ennis took over the title beginning with issue #40. Ennis' run included the first appearance of his character Hitman. This series was followed by a miniseries, Driven Out.
Oh, what's this?

quote:

Following this, John Byrne's Blood of the Demon lasted 17 issues, and ignored much of the continuity (i.e. Harry Matthews is human, and not a pillow with human facial features) that took place after Kirby's initial run.
Never change, Byrne.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FMguru posted:

Never change, Byrne.

Byrne is gonna Byrne.

Is there a collection of his (basically fan fiction) X-Men comics he wrote and drew decades after he left the book that was what he would have done if he had been in charge instead of Claremont? Like I think they were just posted as single images on his blog or message board which is way too much effort for me to hate read, but if they were collected in a pdf or cbr file somewhere I'd be curious about what he would have done different from Claremont.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm pretty sure etrigan showed up for a couple issues of hitman

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Air Skwirl posted:

if they were collected in a pdf or cbr file somewhere

They are collected as cbz out there. Look up X-Men Elsewhen if you want, there's 32 issues of the thing so far. Or don't really. It's loving X-Men fanfiction written by a dickhead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Air Skwirl posted:

site posted:

I'm pretty sure etrigan showed up for a couple issues of hitman

Yeah he was in a few Hitman arcs.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve never read any Constantine stuff though I’ve seen bits of the movie on tv over the years
back when people had cable and it was on all the time, so I’m not familiar with the character but I guess showing up behaving like a huge cryptic rear end in a top hat is kind of his thing? I’m glad it’s picking up steam towards what I figure is another fun supernatural story.

I’d also like to note the sequence where Abigail is trying to figure out if she and the titular thing can bone and as an alternative he makes her a powerful hallucinogenic fruit that allows her to experience the earth-mind was visually spectacular and felt really distinct today, so I feel like it must have been pretty groundbreaking at the time. Maybe it’s just a me problem, but i find some of the dream sequences to be sort of tedious which is a weird contrast to the drug/elemental journeys through an abstraction of ecological consciousness parts, which are extremely compelling. Hoping it keeps leaning into the latter

I’ll stop cluttering things up bynarrating my reading experience itt now that I’ve encountered and been confused by the presence of John Constantine and his punk girlfriend who seems traumatized by something I also haven’t read, but I’m glad I finally got something not published by humanoids/2000ad/a Corto Maltese book and found it to be a lot of fun and an impressive work in all the ways I care about

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

I’ll stop cluttering things up bynarrating my reading experience itt now that I’ve encountered and been confused by the presence of John Constantine and his punk girlfriend who seems traumatized by something I also haven’t read, but I’m glad I finally got something not published by humanoids/2000ad/a Corto Maltese book and found it to be a lot of fun and an impressive work in all the ways I care about

Don't stop, it's cool to hear from someone enjoying a classic that we're familiar with. And yes, Constantine showing up and being an enormous cryptic rear end in a top hat before he gets everyone involved killed is kind of his thing. It carries over to his series, Hellblazer, which is pretty good for almost the entire several hundred issue run.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Matt Ryan's Constantine show was actually pretty decent and had some stories straight from the comics. He also played him on Legends of Tomorrow and in my opinion played him pretty well for "how would John actually handle being in a sitation like this". Pretty sure it's streaming on Max.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

Matt Ryan's Constantine show was actually pretty decent and had some stories straight from the comics. He also played him on Legends of Tomorrow and in my opinion played him pretty well for "how would John actually handle being in a sitation like this". Pretty sure it's streaming on Max.

Legends of Tomorrow is on Netflix, Constantine (the tv series with Matt Ryan) isn't streaming for free anywhere but you can buy it digitally from Apple or Google or Amazon.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Legends of Tomorrow is on Netflix, Constantine (the tv series with Matt Ryan) isn't streaming for free anywhere but you can buy it digitally from Apple or Google or Amazon.

Wasn't sure if it was one of the shows removed from Max, my subscription lapsed and I'm in no rush to renew

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

Wasn't sure if it was one of the shows removed from Max, my subscription lapsed and I'm in no rush to renew

I don't know why they would have removed it. It's not like the residuals would have cost them much, no one is watching it.

The actor is great but honestly that was a pretty boring show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't know why they would have removed it. It's not like the residuals would have cost them much, no one is watching it.

The actor is great but honestly that was a pretty boring show.

Max just went crazy removing a ton of comic shows, mostly animated. They have been huge assholes lately.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The only thing I know about John Constantine is that he was dating King Shark at one point

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Pretty sure that was just one of the animated movies.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Swamp Thing arriving on some satellite where the observer used to be (I get the feeling there was like some big parallel storyline with all the heroes and a multiverse happening at the same time or something) and being confused by a big crowd full of costumed fascist assholes felt really familiar to me, especially the bit where he's like "who are any of these people" and they're all drawn in profile or in crowds like they're the most obviously recognizable people in the world. I also had to lmao big time when Constantine was just flatly like "yeah the space station got destroyed offscreen no big deal" . I also really liked Batman showing up and being just sort of an awkward guy who didn't recognize some other superhero named mento or something.

I've decided reading Swamp Thing not knowing who any of these people are is the ideal experience because so much of the ambiance is based on the Swamp Thing missing key information the reader is assumed to possess but which I lack, so I'm really vibing with his whole comportment just constantly being like "??? I guess I'll do some psychedelic fruit about it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

Pretty sure that was just one of the animated movies.

Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6u2LJFPrk

This also a hell future where Most of the Justice League died and Apokalips took over earth.