Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think a lot of people, like myself, think they hate horror until they have their minds opened with the right one or by seeing it in the right context. My path to becoming a horror nut was a twisting journey through watching Get Out while tipsy and loving it, playing Deadly Premonition and realizing it was a horror game that was magnificently effective in the story it wanted to tell, and watching Perfect Blue and figuring out that my attempts at blandly calling it a "thriller" felt pretentious and dismissive and unfair to the movie itself. My last step was binging film after film thanks to my partner, the last dam being A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 which impressed me to no end with how something so "low" could be such a brilliant entertainment that also had tons to say about disability and mental illness.

I do think that to some, monochrome is a factor. Gene Siskel once brought up that when done right, movies in black and white make things feel as though they exist in another world and in a sense make it easier to focus on themes and craft because of it. There's an element of hyperreality that helps one get transported into the world of the film. Perhaps it's not just the black-and-white nature of it but how the black and white changes her perception of the movie, making it moodier and more atmospheric rather than a film of gore and frights. Keeps the violence at arm's length but pulls the characters closer. Just an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I had a friend just yesterday who said they had been of the opinion horror didn't "get to"/affect/scare them, but they had then watched Possession (1981) that morning and realized it definitely can have that effect :rubby:

Sometimes it really is just about expanding what you're viewing

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Midsommar is mid. Just not real impressed. I've still got like I think 20 minutes to go. The length of this doesn't really do it any favors. It could be like 120 minutes and still get across what it needs to say.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chris James 2 posted:

I had a friend just yesterday who said they had been of the opinion horror didn't "get to"/affect/scare them, but they had then watched Possession (1981) that morning and realized it definitely can have that effect :rubby:

Sometimes it really is just about expanding what you're viewing

I have very rarely had movies actually scare me, but very rarely a proper dark Ghost movie will get to me. The Ring was the first movie I think I was ever actually unnerved by and was a bit jumpy at the house for a few hours.

The Grudge did similar, but that was perfect time - I had literally just moved into a new house from the 1940s the weekend earlier. Every goddam sound was my death coming.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Medullah posted:

I have very rarely had movies actually scare me, but very rarely a proper dark Ghost movie will get to me. The Ring was the first movie I think I was ever actually unnerved by and was a bit jumpy at the house for a few hours.

The Grudge did similar, but that was perfect time - I had literally just moved into a new house from the 1940s the weekend earlier. Every goddam sound was my death coming.

I saw both of these in my early 30s and they had the same effect on me.

Especially when I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep. Right as I was about to drift off, I’d become completely convinced that I couldn’t close my eyes because ghostly white-faced people would appear if I did.

A couple of times I imagined I heard that ghastly throat-croaking sound from The Grudge. I suppose I had nodded off and started to dream, and heard it there. But it awakened me with a jolt.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay well I finally made it through all 2 hours and 50 minutes of Midsommar and overall I thought it was kind of mid. I mean it was just way to drat long and it could have been a good 100 minutes and I'd have liked it more. There's a really good 100 minute movie there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Midsommer is great

Also the only time I quit movies is bc I go do something else because my adhd sucks and sometimes I often don’t finish it not because it was good or bad but because…? I dunno!

It took me like a decade to finish dawn of the dead because of this. Stopped watching when I was a young teen and then finally finished it like 2 years ago lmao

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I quit movies often, sometimes with only minutes left. There is no past or future to consider, only the present moment. I have no obligations to any artist or narrative, nor even to myself. I am utterly free and unburdened by doubt or pity.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Medullah posted:

Kairo/Pulse was the one that properly shat me up after thinking I was too good to get scared. That one scene of the ghost walking slowly toward the camera, then it stumbles in the most horribly uncanny valley way still gives me a little chill.

Here's that scene if you want to call me a baby for getting spooked by it. I forgot how much the sound design goes into it too, with the strange wailing at the start, then the ghost moving in total silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYs87-kDXwg

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love going to film festivals and going to see as many movies as possible just based on the description in the programme.

Most I ever did was 21 films in 10 days. Sometimes me and my friend would go to one movie, go eat lunch, and then do two more.

They varied greatly in quality but it was always an adventure.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Kairo/Pulse was the one that properly shat me up after thinking I was too good to get scared. That one scene of the ghost walking slowly toward the camera, then it stumbles in the most horribly uncanny valley way still gives me a little chill.

Here's that scene if you want to call me a baby for getting spooked by it. I forgot how much the sound design goes into it too, with the strange wailing at the start, then the ghost moving in total silence.

I’ve never seen this, but that is some superbly done ghost poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love going to film festivals and going to see as many movies as possible just based on the description in the programme.

Most I ever did was 21 films in 10 days. Sometimes me and my friend would go to one movie, go eat lunch, and then do two more.

They varied greatly in quality but it was always an adventure.

I don’t like film festivals bc some of them are reaaaaaaaaal poo poo and I want to leave because I’m dying from the second hand embarrassment

I once saw a hour and a half improv sci fi thriller….

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hollismason posted:

Okay well I finally made it through all 2 hours and 50 minutes of Midsommar and overall I thought it was kind of mid. I mean it was just way to drat long and it could have been a good 100 minutes and I'd have liked it more. There's a really good 100 minute movie there.

You might have enjoyed the 2h10m cut better. It's still not lean but it doesn't linger too much.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

You might have enjoyed the 2h10m cut better. It's still not lean but it doesn't linger too much.

Yeah I actually stopped watching it for like a hour then went back to it. I didn't know I was watching a directors cut.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

give me the 10-hour Beau Is Afraid cut damnit Aster I'm not even close to annoyed yet

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Speaking of quitting movies I just quit Firestarter 2022

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
well it's not called firefinisher 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Older Gods while cheap did hook me in the first 15 so I'm interested in where this goes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Firefarter

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Pulse rules. A deeply uncomfortable film. Love it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

give me the 10-hour Beau Is Afraid cut damnit Aster

:hellyeah:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I have only bailed on one movie in recent memory and that was Dashcam like a week ago. Got about 10 minutes in before I just couldn’t stand the main character anymore and switched to Enys Men instead.

I will occasionally switch to 1.5x speed for some scenes though, like if it’s a lovely old slasher with long boring parts between the action.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's some good creepy horror or gritty thriller movies that mostly take place in abandoned buildings (not a single regular old haunted house), preferably with lots of graffiti and/or Silent Hill type grime. I'm thinking Candyman, Escape from NY, Deadbeat at Dawn, Session 9 ish stuff. Bonus if the building(s) are in the middle of nowhere instead of a big city, like the end of True Detective S1.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Grave Encounters

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

What's some good creepy horror or gritty thriller movies that mostly take place in abandoned buildings (not a single regular old haunted house), preferably with lots of graffiti and/or Silent Hill type grime. I'm thinking Candyman, Escape from NY, Deadbeat at Dawn, Session 9 ish stuff. Bonus if the building(s) are in the middle of nowhere instead of a big city, like the end of True Detective S1.

Pretty much any Frank Hennelotter or Larry Cohen film tends to have that lovely veneer of grime. Doom Asylum is very cheesy but has a fun abandoned setting.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

aw hell ya this such an eery scene

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I swear to loving god Midsommar better have some pay off because I'm now like 1 hour and 20 minutes into it.

i have some bad news

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Kairo/Pulse was the one that properly shat me up after thinking I was too good to get scared.

Same - but for a whole different reason.

I watched it last year for the first time and what chilled me were the meditations on the early ‘00s internet and corresponding world.

The movie brought me right back to my young, directionless 20s, staring at a CRT screen at 1am, feeling a mix of connection and isolation, hope and despair, potential and squandered potential.

I joked after watching it that I can handle gross decapitations, but, poo poo, throw me some Igmar Bergman-level meditations and you’ll have to rock me to sleep.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Like recent examples off the top of my head?

The Lure - I wasn’t really in the mood to begin with and a few minutes in some lecherous dudes go “those teenagers are too young to be here! Strip them!” And I just left.

This is a pretty good example of a movie worth sticking it out for imo. I watch The Lure almost monthly, it's perfect.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I think the only movie I ever walked out of was a really awful horror flick called Force of Evil in about 1988.

Much more recently, I wanted to leave about 30 minutes into Avatar 2, but we stayed.

For what seemed like another four hours.

e: My mind is blown because there is no “Force of Evil” on imdb that came out in the 1980s. But I could have sworn that was the name of the flick.

It seems to be from 1977

Imdb also listed Meatcleaver Massacre from 1976 so that may have force of evil as an alternate title somewhere

?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is a pretty good example of a movie worth sticking it out for imo. I watch The Lure almost monthly, it's perfect.

An enthusiastic second. The Lure owns, it has a pretty odd tone throughout, but it's always shifting the kind of movie it is.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Tho i guess that first one says TV movie

:shrug:

e: and its on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwaWtT2ehGc
perhaps more of a thriller, but from scrolling thru it it looked like it could be somewhat horror adjacent

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Only movie I ever walked out of was Hope Springs (2012). Meryl Streep trying to give Tommy Lee Jones head in a theater was my breaking point on that one.

The near cunnilingus in ReAnimator was more erotic.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Speaking of quitting movies I just quit Firestarter 2022

Yeah a real poo poo movie, that one's a quitter. And it fucks around with the story in all kinds of stupid ways. Please don't let the mediocre and awful films of it dissuade you from reading an awesome and really well plotted novel though.

Streaming has made the threshold for quitting on a movie WAY lower.

I have only walked out on a movie in a theater a couple few times, and those were a while ago when tickets were a lot cheaper. In a theater you've made a commitment to go to that place, and these days it is quite expensive both for the tickets and any food/drink. So it's got to be pretty dire for me to leave.

Streaming a movie on a service you're already subscribed to there is very little commitment. You are already home, and you didn't pay any extra for it, and other things to do are all around. If you are bored, uncomfortable or just not having a good time and the film is showing you no prospects of a good time coming, eh.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 20, 2023

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Gonna walk out of a movie playing on my monitor at my house tonight

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Zwabu posted:

Please don't let the mediocre and awful films of it dissuade you from reading an awesome and really well plotted novel though.

This had me thinking. We've all come across movies where the book it was based on was better, but what about the inverse where the book's so awful you're amazed they pulled out a decent/good film out of it?

I just finished reading The Fury and Good God..that book dragged like you wouldn't believe. The movie's pretty much the last quarter of the book.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

It will be Prometheus and it will be when the annoying 'scientist' takes his helm off and kisses an alien snake

gonna make sure im back when the self abortion with a laser is playing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the jaws book sucksss

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
The Godfather often comes up on that topic. I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah Spielberg is 2 for 3 with adapting terrible novels into really good movies.